PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Revo Drive

rjkoneill
06-18-2010, 12:51 AM
looking at getting one of these as the speeds are amazing and the idea of no sata cables inside my system is too tempting.

i have the usual marketing quotes

The OCZ RevoDrive makes fast, faster with an innovative performance design that pushes the envelope in solid state technology and leaves hard drives in the dust. Moving beyond the bottleneck of SATA-II the RevoDrive features a PCIe interface to deliver superior performance. Designed for high-performance gaming PCs and workstations, the RevoDrive dominates thanks to the unique capability to run both Windows and your essential applications and games. With speeds up to 540MBps and 65,000 IOPS, this bootable PCI-Express SSD not only provides a more responsive PC experience, but promotes cooler, quieter, and more energy efficient conditions compared to traditional mechanical hard drives. The RevoDrive can accommodate a wide range of computing environments such as video-editing and other multi-media creation and management, all while providing the superior durability and reliability of SSDs.

- Capacity: 120GB
- Controller: Dual SandForce SF-1200 (RAID)
- Maximum Read: 540MB/sec
- Maximum Write: 490MB/sec
- Sustained Write: 470MB/sec
- Max I/O Per Second (IOPS): 65000 IOPS (4KB File)
- NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
- Interface: PCI-Express x4
- Warranty: 3 Years

they are available next week at OcUK where i work, just wondering if anybody has any news on the following

- TRIM? this is the main question
- how will it boot, it shouldnt show up in the bios as it isnt a sata device, will it need drivers
- firmware i know OCZ have good FW support, how often are their updates in general

Olly_K
06-18-2010, 01:06 AM
also looking at one of these, now that OcUK have dropped the price a bit. It will probably need drivers, yes. It will boot the same way a scsi card or when you enable raid in the BIOS (press ctrl + I to enter bios etc etc). It's activated after the main bios initialises.

I could be completely wrong though

SteveRo
06-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Excellent - please post results! Very curious to see how it does!

Tony
06-18-2010, 04:23 AM
as far as I know:

1 no driver needed, its seen as a regular drive

2 no trim (yet) but i doubt its needed

3 FW should be possible as long as the flasher can see past the onboard raid....so the answer is maybe.

4 Next week? i doubt it, marketing samples next week with final shipping a little after

GullLars
06-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Looking forward to benches, i have a couple of IOmeter configs i'd like you to run.

Tony, any news on a x4 or x8 SF-1200 revo drive? Are you saving such setups for HSDL drives sometime next year?
BTW, HSDL would be a nice interface for 5,25" (one or more slots) ASAP drives. I'm fantasizing something like nR0 SSDs with one or more RAM DIMMs for read/write cache of hotfiles, possibly a single or 2R1 2,5"(12mm) HDD for "cold files" with external bays, could work awesome.

BeepBeep2
06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Looking forward to benches, i have a couple of IOmeter configs i'd like you to run.

Tony, any news on a x4 or x8 SF-1200 revo drive? Are you saving such setups for HSDL drives sometime next year?
BTW, HSDL would be a nice interface for 5,25" (one or more slots) ASAP drives. I'm fantasizing something like nR0 SSDs with one or more RAM DIMMs for read/write cache of hotfiles, possibly a single or 2R1 2,5"(12mm) HDD for "cold files" with external bays, could work awesome.

- Capacity: 120GB
- Controller: Dual SandForce SF-1200 (RAID)
- Maximum Read: 540MB/sec
- Maximum Write: 490MB/sec
- Sustained Write: 470MB/sec
- Max I/O Per Second (IOPS): 65000 IOPS (4KB File)
- NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
- Interface: PCI-Express x4
- Warranty: 3 Years

???

GullLars
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
BeepBeep2, yes, the revo drive uses 2x SF-1200 controllers, a ROC (wich?), and a PCIe x4 interface. I was wondering if OCZ had plans for x4 or x8 versions, with a wider bus ofc.

Tony, will you have the opportunity to run an IOmeter config on early models before they hit shelves? I can hardly wait to see if the IOPS scaling at QD 1-16, and particularly the area 2-8, stand up to LSI 9260 with FastPath and 2R0 x25-M or C300.

Tony
06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
GullLars

You think like me and Ryan do (Ryan is the CEO) regarding drives, I can say in VERY general terms we are going to push hard to speed things up, BUT it has to be affordable. We can build drag racers now but none of you would buy them as the price would be to high. So....you may see products that take smaller steps from OCZ BUT they are going to be within your price range (best we can)

Initial drive is 4X, not sure on 8X but I can't see why not. I also thought mixing nand controllers may be possible after reading some of the posts here with c300's mixed with LE's etc. Now this does not mean we will use any specific controller...its just the idea caught my eye and i will be suggesting we look at maybe doing something similar.

Regarding Dram cache dimms, i suggested this a good few weeks back, it makes sense to go this route...i think cache on main card and sas link to drive bay ssd combo is the way to go ;)

All this here does not reflect what we are making, it reflects what we may look at making.

rjkoneill
06-21-2010, 08:35 AM
can you explain why Trim is not needed on these drives

i had 2 intel 80GB X25 ssds in RAID0 before the RAID/TRIM software update got released and it degraded quite quickly

i now have a single 160gb intel x25 with the obligatory trim etc, no performance loss.

so what exactly would the OCZ offer as a maintainace tool for this drive.

sorry for the questions but its a lot of money to invest in something that doesnt have too many specifics about it at the moment.

we are getting a sample at work shortly but to confirm my queries i would need to use the drive personally for an extended period of time to ensure it is worth bothering with

F@32
06-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Preview is up @ Anand http://www.anandtech.com/show/3788/oczs-revodrive-pcie-ssd-preview-an-affordable-pcie-ssd/1

so what exactly would the OCZ offer as a maintainace tool for this drive.

Tony I'm sure will elaborate, but according to Anand OCZ is working on TRIM support in driver. Of course it's not known yet when this will be released.

bigretard21
06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
PCPer has another solid preview of the Revo drive here: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=913&type=expert&pid=1

This drive seems real solid according to all the benchmarks, except on the IOMeter server patterns. Anyone have any thoughts why the Revo struggles to keep pace with Intel on that set of benchmarks, especially at the early queue depths?

Thanks, Chris

F@32
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I'd like to point out that 2R0 of Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb at $300 offers awesome value and gives unreleased Revo run for the money.

See thread here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254451

rjkoneill
06-29-2010, 02:12 AM
i had two intels in R0 which were ok but degraded a bit and i wasnt happy
moved over to a single 160gb intel.

wouldnt look at two standard ssds now after that.

thats why i was keen on the revo drive offering something over regular drives. going off the anand review i may as well stick with my intel.

Unoid
07-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I want a 120gb right NOW, anyone know a place with in stock?

dctokyo
08-26-2010, 05:20 AM
I want a 120gb right NOW, anyone know a place with in stock?

I like the reviews of the drive, very nice, but no way I would buy one now, wait for the 2nd PCB revision.

the first one looks like poor board design or initial QA failure of the unit.

Whats the deal with the soldered jumper wire between the R53 resister and the C11 capacitor?
The PCB should be clean with no wire's like the one in the picture
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9890/oczrd240.png

Metroid
08-26-2010, 05:38 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3788/oczs-revodrive-pcie-ssd-preview-an-affordable-pcie-ssd/7

eva2000
08-26-2010, 07:11 AM
i'd hold off on getting revodrives see http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=892972

The perfomance has dropped off to a pathetic level-lucky to get 150MB/s average. This is poor for a procuct just over 2 weeks old.

My advice is to steer clear of these for the time being.

Ao1
08-26-2010, 08:50 AM
I like the reviews of the drive, very nice, but no way I would buy one now, wait for the 2nd PCB revision.

the first one looks like poor board design or initial QA failure of the unit.

Whats the deal with the soldered jumper wire between the R53 resister and the C11 capacitor?
The PCB should be clean with no wire's like the one in the picture

That actually looks quite neat compared to this:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?76959-Revodrive.-Bad-solder-job&p=547579&viewfull=1#post547579
:shakes:

Computurd
08-26-2010, 07:59 PM
@Ao1...wow. unbelievable. i am surprised at that tbh. Looks like a noob on his first soldering job hit that up.

dctokyo
08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
That actually looks quite neat compared to this:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?76959-Revodrive.-Bad-solder-job&p=547579&viewfull=1#post547579
:shakes:

:eek: I can`t believe that OCZ is trying to sell boards like that, they should have recalled the bad boards and waited for the new reversion ones :down:

Ao1
08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Looking at the Anandtech review the mod on the front of the card existed on the sample that they tested back in 6/25/2010, but the mods on the back of the board can’t be seen, so it looks like two further mods were required. It’s quite shocking that OCZ would but something on the markets like that and think it was acceptable.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3788/oczs-revodrive-pcie-ssd-preview-an-affordable-pcie-ssd/1

tbone8ty
08-30-2010, 07:10 PM
any updates on whether the OCZ revo has TRIM support? anybody had this drive for awhile see any degradation in performance?

tbone8ty
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
so my buddy is installing the ocz revo 120g on win7, since it doesn't support trim or garbage collection...what services should be turned off?

defrag...what else?

also should the pci-express be overclocked? to 105mhz? or leave it alone

SteveRo
09-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I have read that crap cleaner set up properly can help where trim and hdderase cannot be used - i don't have a link but iit should come up n google, your friend could try using that to keep performance on her revo.

tbone8ty
09-03-2010, 01:45 PM
ok heres is crystal mark for the 80g revo

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/4954832329_5a5c4835fb.jpg

this seem ok to you guys?

any idea how to check what firmware version it is running?

M_T_M
10-03-2010, 12:55 AM
I have decided to buy a disc OCZ Revo Drive 120gb but I wonder if it is to is the motherboard Evga Classified X58 E760 and in which slot?

Dainas
10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
unless you know better from eVGA forums, always the topmost slot above the videocard. Bios writes are both stupid and lazy when it comes to dealing with contingencies, (aka; anything they are not being barked at to fix will be neglected, such as add in card support) Being the the top most spot seems to keep the revo drive from being ignored by the system.

Tony
10-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Just a heads up...the X2 versions of these drives started shipping today from our factory...they will soon be in your favourite stores.

these feature the daughter card so use 4 SF1200 processors in raid 0.

marauder16
05-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Maybe not the best thread to ask this, but ok.

I was considering buying a RevoDrive X2 card and of course there is the booting problem. Will my mother board be able to boot from the PCI-Ex?

I googled this but found no better solution than buy it and try, and I don't have enough money for experiments right now :D

You can see my specs in the signature, I haven't upgraded in a while (been travelling much lately :D) so I'm not quite sure if my old DFI ICFX3200 T2R/G will be able to boot this thing.

Of course, DFI is dead so I don't have a support forum to post a question at... Maybe someone here knows how to check this possibility by not-paying 400$ first? :D

Thanks for any responses and please transfer this post to a better thread if I misplaced it :)

EDIT: I don't expect my board to appear on the OCZ compatibility list but this little fellow can pull off quite a few thingies, maybe it can pull this off too :))

EDIT2: according to this (http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?79264-revo-compatible-motherboard-list&p=585498&viewfull=1#post585498) post, the DFI X48 works with RevoDrive X2, this means hope since these two boards are not so far appart in time =)

Boulard83
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I just received a 110gb Revodrive... to be installed on my Asus MIVE.

I know that these dont support TRIM but io dont really care. heard that you can simply run something like Ccleaner or similar once in a while. ( is this true ? )

This revo is replacing my X25-M 80g that is going in my HTPC. Ill keep my Agility2 240g for games.

Well, ill do some testing and ill be back :)

Boulard83
10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Finally .....

I had trouble installing windows 7 Pro x64 on my revodrive and SLI GTX570 DCII.

I dont have other choice than using :
• PCIe16_1 GTX570 DCII
• PCIe16_3 Revodrive
• PCIe16_4 GTX570 DCII

With this setup, i never ever been able to see and/or boot with the revodrive. I tried for about 3 hours with alot of hint from this forum and the OCZ forum without succes.

Removed my second GTX570, reboot with my standard Bios setup ( AHCI and every "normal" settings ) and BOOM booted with the RAID screen for the Revo, POST, then installed windows.

I didnt tryed to put my 570 back in since im now back at work but since i never saw the RAID screen when i have the 2 570 installed, im affraid it wont work.

Anyone tryed ?
My setup is doable or i need another motherboard ?

Thanks alot.

P.S. i posted on the Asus and OCZ web site but answer seems slow to come.

Computurd
10-28-2011, 07:43 PM
do you have a setting for memory low gap on your rig in the bios? if so up it to the max allowable. Not familiar with ASUS in that generation, but i know that the pcie cards can be finicky as hell

Anvil
10-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Disable all the onboard stuff and take it from there.
(Marvell disk controller, secondary NIC,..., also, selecting AHCI and not RAID on the PCH will make more room for ROMs)

I've got the MIVE-Z and it's working pretty good although there are a few configuration issues I could do without.
(can't boot off PCH RAIDs)

Boulard83
10-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I think its officially a NO-GO

I tried the revo (windows is now installed on it ) in every single slot with one GTX570. Boot, post, load windows and i even tryed ATTO and speed are similar for every single PCIe slot that i have ( tryed 5, got 4 PCIex16 and 1 PCIex4 ) Some of the PCIex16 are by default passing through the NF200 chip so if the NF200 was the issue i think it should not work in some config i tested.

At last, ive put the GTX570 back in slot #1, Revo in slot #3, leaving my last PCIe alone and free to install the second GTX570. Reboot, booted windows, all good in the exact same slot that if i was running my SLI but no SLI.

Installed the Second GTX570, boot, NO REVO ..... nothing. Can only load bios and the revo isnt show anywhere.

I dont have any other choice as for my SLI PCIe arrangement since my cards are 3slot, i MUST use these slot, slots that all work without SLI, But FAIL when SLI ...

My only last try is going to give a chance to 2 new BIOS. Im on 1850, there is a 1904 and 2001 out but they are mostly for compatibility with CPU and memory. Ill give it a shot as soon as i have time.

Ao1
10-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Sorry to say but the Revo = lemon. If I were you I would put it on eBay and pray that someone bought it. There are single drives around offering better performance without the agro.

Anvil
10-30-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm using it in one of my X58's, no issues at all, it's actually working just fine along with the LSI 9265.

For such a complex config I'd go for the new X79.
I can't get the Revo and the LSI 9265 working on the Z68 simultaneously.

Boulard83
10-30-2011, 10:13 AM
As soon as the NF200 kicks in, the revo disapear.

I downloaded the 2 newer bios. 1904 and 2001, gonna give them a try tomorow... My last resort.....

I was tempted to try the Revo. Paid 160$ for a 110g so its not that much of an issue if i sold it back or keep it as a bench drive or i swap it in my HTPC later .... I think i may give a chance to a 120g Sata3 SSD if i cant make it work. Something like an Intel SSD.

Boulard83
10-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Bios 2001 was a NO-GO too ...

Installed windows back to my Agility 2 240g. I prefer to keep my SLI GTX570.... P11000 3dmark11 with my 24/7 clocks.

A friend will buy the Revo !