PDA

View Full Version : Software to configure Surround Sound?

pc1x1
06-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey Guys,

I recently upgraded to a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P, and its Realtek on board, can test speakers, but can't do it via optical connection to my receiver. I downloaded files, that each say, Front Left, Center, etc, but on 5.1 configuration, 3 of the files are saying it wrong. While on my PS3, the surround sound seems to be working fine, but while playing back files, Front Left plays on Back Left, etc.

I was wondering if there was some software that I could use to configure, and test my speakers. At least be able to click a speaker position, and then sound come out of, similar to what the Realtek HD Sound manage does for my Logitech speakers connected to it.

Thanks!

gillll
06-15-2010, 11:06 PM
have you installed ac3 plugin ? googleit.

pc1x1
06-15-2010, 11:42 PM
have you installed ac3 plugin ? googleit.

No I have not, I use the Combined Community Codec Pack, I found the plugin (ac3) though, and can install it if need be. But I do hear sound coming out, just in the wrong channels. I am not sure if its my receiver or the computer, so was hoping there was something like this...

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj391/pc1x1/Gigabyte%20GA-EP45T-USB3P/capture_16062010_034028.png

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj391/pc1x1/Gigabyte%20GA-EP45T-USB3P/capture_16062010_034052.png

I try to run lean, so I prefer to install the least amount of codecs if possible, but if I really need this AC3, then by all means, Ill install it.

Thanks.

gillll
06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
you'll need the ac3 plugin that can decode ac3 and dts.

on plugin control panel choose spdif output and as is.
check sound files after that.

pc1x1
06-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I downloaded this http://www.free-codecs.com/ac3_filter_download.htm

Unfortunately the problem continues, I will try upplugging the physical speakers and see if maybe they somehow got wired wrong. Which is possible, since I had to rewire once, I may plugged somebody in the wrong place, heh!

Donnie27
06-16-2010, 06:25 AM
I downloaded this http://www.free-codecs.com/ac3_filter_download.htm

Unfortunately the problem continues, I will try upplugging the physical speakers and see if maybe they somehow got wired wrong. Which is possible, since I had to rewire once, I may plugged somebody in the wrong place, heh!

There is also another problem missed. Your speakers should be set to small if you want a LFE or Low Frequency Effects channel and for the proper 5.1 crossover points.

gillll
06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Had u checked use spdif on plugin control ?
Also on windows sound configure 5.1
And make digital output default everywhere.

pc1x1
06-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Ok this is becoming officially weird, and I am starting to think the computer is outputting in Stereo or something. I pulled all the speakers off, I set the speakers etc to Small, all of settings are fine. Center works, but if I use a wav file, center also plays Real Left and Rear Right. These sound files might be stereo, so I went to my other sound files, that I know are for sure are 5.1. On these these files Rear Left and Read Right don't play. However then I plugged in my Rear Right Speaker, and on these 5.1 files, Rear Right Speaker, plays Rear Left and Rear Right really low, and plays Front Left and Front Right, loud. It makes no sense. Its on the right place on my Receiver. So I dunno at this point whats up.

wevsspot
06-18-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't see mentioned anywhere what player you are using. Enlighten us and that may help a bit.

pc1x1
06-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate X64, Windows Media Player 11, SPDIF out via toslink to a Yamaha RX-V2092 connected to JBL Speakers, and a Pioneer Sub. I have speaker models written down somewhere if need be. But yea, I reset the receiver, etc, It still doing rear left comes out of the rear and the front :(. I don't know if its a computer issue or a receiver issue. I went into debug mode in the receiver, and was able to do the static test on each of the speakers. That worked correctly. The only thing that won't change is the center speaker setting from Wide, to normal. For whatever reason, let me know if you need any more info. I may have to hit AVForum, if its a receiver issue.

gillll
06-19-2010, 08:15 PM
wow what a mess....unplug all and use only digital out.

then check yourself again.

Serra
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Maybe try getting a new set of files. If the files weren't set up correctly it could explain everything you're seeing and why it works properly for your actual live equipment (PS3).

I think there are a few home theater calibration dvds floating out in the Internet, I would grab one of those and try with it.

gillll
06-21-2010, 04:33 AM
plain mkv scene files with dts or avi with ac3 should be played correctly.

wevsspot
06-22-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm using Windows Media Center/Windows 7 and I had a surround sound issue too when outputting audio to my receiver. My solution was to set the Media Center configuration to 2-channel and then let the receiver do the decoding. Worked a charm. Full 5.1 audio streams for Dolby, Dolby Pro-logic and DTS without issue.

Donnie27
06-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Ok this is becoming officially weird, and I am starting to think the computer is outputting in Stereo or something. I pulled all the speakers off, I set the speakers etc to Small, all of settings are fine. Center works, but if I use a wav file, center also plays Real Left and Rear Right. These sound files might be stereo, so I went to my other sound files, that I know are for sure are 5.1. On these these files Rear Left and Read Right don't play. However then I plugged in my Rear Right Speaker, and on these 5.1 files, Rear Right Speaker, plays Rear Left and Rear Right really low, and plays Front Left and Front Right, loud. It makes no sense. Its on the right place on my Receiver. So I dunno at this point whats up.

Something or some setting is confusing "Matrix Surround" with Discrete Surround. There has to be a setting some where that is trying to Matrix or Spread 2 ch over all 5.1 channels. When in Matrix Mode, you can't get Discrete 5.1 modes to work correctly. Matrix modes include but are not limited to Dolby Headphone, Dolby Neo 6, CMSS-3D (two ch mode) and many others.

Anyone reading this with a X-Fi and using Multi-Out discretely can enable CMSS-3D repeat this problem. What will happen is that as the channels are being announced, they will come from the wrong speaker. There is no difference for Azalea. This is one of the more common setup problems I've fixed for others. Yes, setting sound fields on the Receivers are a whole set of other problems. New receivers don't allow adjusting settings in Discrete Multi-Direct In just for that reason.

wevsspot
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Another Arkansas boy in here! Nice :)

Donnie27
06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Another Arkansas boy in here! Nice :)

You got it! I'm in Little Rock, where are you?

wevsspot
06-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Rogers/Bentonville area :)

And a huge razorback fan!

Donnie27
06-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Rogers/Bentonville area :)

And a huge razorback fan!

I'm just a little bit of a fan but do cheer for them.

Donnie27
06-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Any news?