PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 slim

xsbb
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/slim-xbox-360-gets-official-at-299-shipping-today-looks-angul/

Glow9
06-15-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/slim-xbox-360-gets-official-at-299-shipping-today-looks-angul/

I think I caught the guy saying they got rid of HDMI, what are they using now instead?

TJ TRICHEESE
06-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Now all we need is internal shots

Gamekiller
06-15-2010, 02:53 AM
I think I caught the guy saying they got rid of HDMI, what are they using now instead?

Image from the link of the back of the unit has a HDMI port. :shrug:

Glow9
06-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Image from the link of the back of the unit has a HDMI port. :shrug:

See thats what I thought! Maybe he was talking about the cable?

[XC] Lead Head
06-15-2010, 02:24 PM
The standard AV breakout cable no longer has component, which is a bit silly if you ask me - considering the new xbox doesn't even come with an HDMI cable either. So out of the box, the new 360 has no way to do HD, you either need to buy a breakout cable with component, or purchase a separate HDMI cable.

zanzabar
06-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Lead Head;4434466']The standard AV breakout cable no longer has component, which is a bit silly if you ask me - considering the new xbox doesn't even come with an HDMI cable either. So out of the box, the new 360 has no way to do HD, you either need to buy a breakout cable with component, or purchase a separate HDMI cable.

i bought a 360 last year it only came with a composite cable. and things never come with standard or special cables if u will use them, i dont think that ive ever gotten a dvd player that came with a component cable and consoles normally dont come with anything but the component when they start dropping the prices as its a cost saving measure and they can milk and extra $30 out of u for a dsub or component

ExodusC
06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
i bought a 360 last year it only came with a composite cable. and things never come with standard or special cables if u will use them, i dont think that ive ever gotten a dvd player that came with a component cable and consoles normally dont come with anything but the component when they start dropping the prices as its a cost saving measure and they can milk and extra $30 out of u for a dsub or component
Yeah, when the Xbox 360 first launched, the Pro came with component cables, then when they launched the Elite, it also came with component cables, but now it seems that no models, including the Slim come with component cables.

To be fair, anyone with a little smarts will pick up a Monoprice or eBay HDMI cable for a couple dollars. There's also the (sad) fact that many people who are buying an Xbox 360 Slim because their old Xbox red ringed will probably have the component cables from it.

zanzabar
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
be careful with the non MS cables, i have one that i got with my vga box and it hums on the audio but the official MS one dose not

Jamesrt2004
06-19-2010, 12:31 AM
be careful with the non MS cables, i have one that i got with my vga box and it hums on the audio but the official MS one dose not

tbh any cable is worth spending a bit of money on, apart from hdmi of course :)

s0lid
06-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Now all we need is internal shots

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247505

s0lid
06-19-2010, 05:27 AM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3774/welcome-to-valhalla-inside-the-new-250gb-xbox-360-slim/4 here's some too :P

UZ7
06-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Bleh I don't know if I should trade in my 360 for a 360 lol...

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/xb360250trade/default.aspx

$100 for system w/ controller
$40 for 120gb hd
$40 for Wifi Adapter
= $180.. then maybe a game or two? and pay the rest with cash?

But the only thing this will benefit me is aesthetics and less power usage :P

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/500x_360power.jpg

My current one is a Jasper so it has some significant improvements in power consumption.

ExodusC
06-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Bleh I don't know if I should trade in my 360 for a 360 lol...

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/xb360250trade/default.aspx

$100 for system w/ controller
$40 for 120gb hd
$40 for Wifi Adapter
= $180.. then maybe a game or two? and pay the rest with cash?

But the only thing this will benefit me is aesthetics and less power usage :P

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/500x_360power.jpg

My current one is a Jasper so it has some significant improvements in power consumption.
I considered this, but the majority of my Xboxes are out of warranty. I wonder if they'd still take them. I have a spare controller, so that'd be $100 for one of them. I also have a Wireless G adapter (warranty voided), and a 256MB memory unit.

Just the other day I ordered a 7200RPM 250GB HDD from Newegg for $50, flashed it and I'm using it with my Xbox 360. I guess if I got an extra HDD caddy off eBay I could pop the 20GB hard drive into it and trade it in for $30.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have no real reason to need to upgrade, I would just benefit of less power draw, less space, and WiFi N (I don't even own a WiFi N router).

Best case scenario I'd have $195~ worth of trade in goods. It's not like I have an extra $10 sitting around either.

UZ7
06-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I considered this, but the majority of my Xboxes are out of warranty. I wonder if they'd still take them. I have a spare controller, so that'd be $100 for one of them. I also have a Wireless G adapter (warranty voided), and a 256MB memory unit.

Just the other day I ordered a 7200RPM 250GB HDD from Newegg for $50, flashed it and I'm using it with my Xbox 360. I guess if I got an extra HDD caddy off eBay I could pop the 20GB hard drive into it and trade it in for $30.

I'm in the same boat as you, I have no real reason to need to upgrade, I would just benefit of less power draw, less space, and WiFi N (I don't even own a WiFi N router).

Best case scenario I'd have $195~ worth of trade in goods. It's not like I have an extra $10 sitting around either.

With Gamestop they'll probably take anything (games w/o boxes/manual lol) but yeah I've seen some people buying RRODd 360, towel tricking them and trying to trade it in... I got my 360 last spring so it still has warranty. After seeing a couple of videos on youtube w/ overheating and the fact that my local gamestop were sold out in the first 15min I think I'll just stick to my current one for a while heh. The only thing that'll change is case, 120gb -> 250gb, a wireless n (which I also don't have an n router) and the whole less power consumption. I'll save my cash for something else :P

BTW, I've looked into it but never really tried buying an HD and flashing it. Is it working fine for you? I might wanna get a 250gb and give my 120 to my bro (who is sitting on 20gb)

Chris_redfield
07-04-2010, 08:38 AM
I am looking to get one of these as my current one was a launch console thats RROD'd, was fixed under waranty but now overheats quite frequently and constantly hangs. I've tried cans of air etc... but the only way I can get any real game time out of it is by placing it by the open window. If I get it repaired this time around I'm going to have to pay for it so I figure I may as well just get one of the newer ones which should be alright and not need fixing again in two years.

The cable that is mentioned to port your data across from your existing HDD, does anyone know if that will also port across your account? The reason I ask is because I don't know my live account password and have another 7 months left on my live subscription (cheeky ms took my money without me knowing and I didn't set up a direct debit.)

I'm pretty pissed off at MS for my Live account actually. I no longer have access to the email address that I set my account up with 5 years ago and because of that I can't do a password reset. Why can't they just have a fail safe like Steam where you can use a product code or something that you had used previously in order to verify your identity. Its such an archaic system with no room for maneuver that microsoft use.

ExodusC
07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
BTW, I've looked into it but never really tried buying an HD and flashing it. Is it working fine for you? I might wanna get a 250gb and give my 120 to my bro (who is sitting on 20gb)
It's working great. This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279) is the drive I bought. Really, all you do is plug it into your PC, download the program needed to flash it (it's a DOS tool), run the program from a DOS USB stick (or some form of DOS environment), then put it inside your Xbox 360 HDD caddy, and you should be good to go. You actually might need to format it through the Xbox 360 after you've flashed it, but that only takes a minute or so.

I keep my saves on a memory card, so if you don't already do so, just put them on a flash drive when you switch hard drives. Also, there are methods for transferring original Xbox game saves, which requires a bit of work, but you can just look it up.

I'd definitely recommend it if you need more space. I'm loving being able to install every game I own. I own a small collection of about 20 games, and with every single one installed I have over 120GB of space left for future games/DLC.

UZ7
07-05-2010, 04:53 PM
It's working great. This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279) is the drive I bought. Really, all you do is plug it into your PC, download the program needed to flash it (it's a DOS tool), run the program from a DOS USB stick (or some form of DOS environment), then put it inside your Xbox 360 HDD caddy, and you should be good to go. You actually might need to format it through the Xbox 360 after you've flashed it, but that only takes a minute or so.

I keep my saves on a memory card, so if you don't already do so, just put them on a flash drive when you switch hard drives. Also, there are methods for transferring original Xbox game saves, which requires a bit of work, but you can just look it up.

I'd definitely recommend it if you need more space. I'm loving being able to install every game I own. I own a small collection of about 20 games, and with every single one installed I have over 120GB of space left for future games/DLC.

Ah thanks for the info man!

Ket
07-05-2010, 05:37 PM
lol M$. They finally got a design ready thats fit for mass market.

hecktic
07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
I just bought the xbox360 slim from dell and it is really small compared to the others but yeah I mainly got it for the reason that it uses less power.

Ill post some pictures of it soon.

Trembledust
07-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I just bought the xbox360 slim from dell and it is really small compared to the others but yeah I mainly got it for the reason that it uses less power.

Ill post some pictures of it soon.

Is it actually "whisper quiet" like they say it is?

hecktic
07-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Is it actually "whisper quiet" like they say it is?

have not had the chance to use it yet... my new TV is still in transit to me

[XC] Synthetickiller
07-20-2010, 03:38 PM
I've waited 5 years and will probably get a 360 over a PS3. I think this version of the console will be the reason.

Silly me, I want it for sonic 4 and condemned.