PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a 30" EIZO

HWaddict
06-13-2010, 09:49 PM
For now I suffer with this NEC LCD22VW (Analog) budget monitor, and I'm sucker for real Highres monitors since my time with the PC are used mostly doing 3D and editing pictures.

So the question is if my 6 month savings should go to a EIZO Flexscan SX3031WK or some alternative Display?

Don't care much for input lag because I'm a occasional gamer and mostly entertain myself watching HD-Movies on Blue-Ray or DVD.

The greatest benefit with the EIZO's are Color correction and the easy use with OSD, maybe worth the extra cost?
On the downside are the two separate DVI inputs, one Dual-link for Max res up to 269MHz and one Single-link with HDCP witch then are Scaled.
Do I have to connect both DVI-ports on the HD4870X2 and then switch them on the monitor using Max res. or watching HDCP encrypted Blue-Rays?

Thanks for any inputs that could help me avoid mistakes regarding compatibility issues;)

zanzabar
06-13-2010, 10:04 PM
why not get a good TV like a panasonic ips 32" and use that for gaming and movies then get a smaller monitor like a 26" thats got full color calibration and back light balanced for photo work, also maybe using DP and 10bit color

HWaddict
06-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Good point, thanks for the suggestion.

HWaddict
06-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Settled for a Dell U2711 witch I think was a good compromise considering the price/performance.

Didn't have room for a larger screen at my small desk, hehe!

Frag Maniac
06-17-2010, 03:34 PM
None of the LCD Pannys sub 46" even have motion processing anymore. That 32" might be OK for games, but action movies, sports, etc, it would probably be far inferior to the 2009 37" Alpha IPS Panny with Motion Pro 3. Even the 2010 46" that DOES have Motion Pro 4 isn't an Alpha IPS panel.

Most everyone's downsizing their product line features due to the recession. I called a local Magnolia Hi Fi the other day and they said this is the worst year they've ever seen for products being slow to arrive too. The manufacturers probably aren't even making nearly as many units as they used to.

zanzabar
06-17-2010, 03:49 PM
None of the LCD Pannys sub 46" even have motion processing anymore. That 32" might be OK for games, but action movies, sports, etc, it would probably be far inferior to the 2009 37" Alpha IPS Panny with Motion Pro 3. Even the 2010 46" that DOES have Motion Pro 4 isn't an Alpha IPS panels.

Most everyone's downsizing their product line features due to the recession. I called a local Magnolia Hi Fi the other day and they said this is the worst year they've ever seen for products being slow to arrive too. The manufacturers probably aren't even making nearly as many units as they used to.

my 32" the 2009 32"s1 has the full motion processing just no fake 120hz, its got AI picture, video NR, motion focus, mpeg nr and some other stuff. the motion focus forces the pixel return function between the frames so it dose motion processing the best way to reduce the pixel change time and not have fake frames artifacting things, u dont need motion processing on an ips panel anyways u only need it on a mva/pva since they have such slow pixels and response.

motion pro just means that its a fake 120hz or fake 240hz that is counter productive once they got 2:3 pulldown unless of course u like to see artifacts during fast motion, and it is not only what motion processing is and its one of the worst ways to do it. unless u are on plasma and they are doing frame blending but they have way more leeway to that with pixel transitions and u cannot do that with an lcd as it has to reset the pixel and not move to a new color so by sending out the reset early and getting the new pixel up if needed to make 2:3 work u get less jitter than false frames and it even looks more natural.

and how would something be bad for sports but good for games, that makes no sense as games move faster and sports are in 30 or 60hz so its not even as challenging for the display. i could see action movies being a problem but the 2:3 pulldown is working great. they do have a lesser 1080p panel not on their website then the 720p x1 i dont know how those do but my tc-l32-s1 is great for an lcd
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-L32S1.S_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection

iboomalot
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Settled for a Dell U2711 witch I think was a good compromise considering the price/performance.

Didn't have room for a larger screen at my small desk, hehe!

should have looked for a 27" 16:10 aspect ratio LCD.

2711 is very wide but not very tall given its 16:9 ratio

HWaddict
06-18-2010, 11:56 AM
should have looked for a 27" 16:10 aspect ratio LCD.

2711 is very wide but not very tall given its 16:9 ratio

I know now what You tell me:D

The full width of this gigantic Monitor requires a serious head turn, but that's something I accept:yepp:

With Full-HD+ that realy brings new life to my stack of Blue-Ray movies.

Frag Maniac
06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
how would something be bad for sports but good for gamesBecause in sports and even action movies you have a lot of fast camera panning that can cause judder, ghosting and blur. In games the only place you're going to see fast camera panning for the most part is in cutscenes, and even then it's very understated compared to movies and sports. You can also use VSync in games to eliminate any screen tearing that might happen from fast mouse panning.

Then there's the fact that LOTS of TVs now have a game mode that disables most if not all of the video processing. So the MP can be used for the benefit of sports and action movies, but also disabled via Game Mode for games. This very fact in itself makes it clear that games are different animals than movies or sports, you cannot equate one with the other just because both have fast content onscreen.

Lastly you have more and more prevalent use of blur in games, which sometimes cannot even be turned off completely. It makes it MUCH harder to notice any display related blur, and some devs even use it to hide imperfections in their games.

For the most part you are right about motion processing. As of last yr most manufacturers didn't have very good MP, but Panny does. I have seen their 2009 37" with MP 3, and it far exceeds what others were using at that time for MP. I have yet to see first hand any of the 2010 MP though, but each gen of it industry wide does seem to be getting noticeably better. What once looked to be obviously fake frames inserted in earlier versions, looks very realistic in well made latter versions. It's also true that the smaller the set the less you need MP, but many whom are using 32" - 37" sets for gaming are sitting fairly close to them, so that negates the whole smaller sizes don't need it philosophy somewhat.

HWaddict
06-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Because in sports and even action movies you have a lot of fast camera panning that can cause judder, ghosting and blur.

Ghosting was quiet obvious when I tried UT3 at max resolution, specialy when a bot passed by closely.

From what I learned in Anandtech test, lag don't even change when switching to Multimedia mode or game mode.

But in Dell U2711 the processing actually do something with 7 different inputs, scaling plus a lots of configurations controlled through the OSD.
Some 30" don't even have OSD and cost twice as much.

Frag Maniac
06-19-2010, 01:53 AM
Gaming mode and how it's implemented will vary from display to display. On some it only makes response faster on certain inputs, on others it will disable video processing entirely.