PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Water

Setix
06-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Ok so I finished my new rig about a month ago and I've started to notice cloudy water...it looks like there is smoke in the water if that makes sense.

I'm running distilled plus a silver kill coil. When I finished my rig, the res was full to the brim, now there is about a eight of an inch of air in the res, but I'm not leaking.

Is the smokey-ness caused by the air getting stirred up, could it be dead algae? ( i admit it took about a week for me to add the silver to the loop. )

any help / ideas ?

SoulsCollective
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Full loop specs please. Sounds like plasticiser leach from the tubing, but could be a number of things.

shazza
06-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Most likely plastacizer from the tubing, as suggested by SoulsCollective. Could also be a small amount of residue from the radiator. There may well be examples, but I don't recall seeing any builds using clear tubing where the water has stayed perfectly clear for more than a month or two.

I doubt very much you got any algae build-up in the first week.

andressergio
06-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Ok so I finished my new rig about a month ago and I've started to notice cloudy water...it looks like there is smoke in the water if that makes sense.

I'm running distilled plus a silver kill coil. When I finished my rig, the res was full to the brim, now there is about a eight of an inch of air in the res, but I'm not leaking.

Is the smokey-ness caused by the air getting stirred up, could it be dead algae? ( i admit it took about a week for me to add the silver to the loop. )

any help / ideas ?

is the water clean on the res...for me its plasticizer i had 3 times that with Tygons...so now i use Fesser UV Blue i got sick of them getting an awesome crystal clear tubes and in a month cloudy

Cheers :toast:
Sergio

Setix
06-12-2010, 07:46 AM
Ok here are my loop specs:
XSPC Dual Bay Single Res
Laing DDC Pro
Thermochill PA 120.3 15mm
Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT - Clear
Swiftech Apogee XT
Koolance MB-EVX58CF (EVGA X58 Classified)
Bitspower MOSFET block
All Bitspower compression fittings
Koolance INS-FM17

Hope this helps

I cant tell if the clear tubes are clouding, or just the water

SoulsCollective
06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
You're missing a radiator there mate ;)

With Pro-LRT it probably isn't plasticizer, I'm more inclined to think residue from the blocks and rad. Did you flush the system thoroughly before use?

Waterlogged
06-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm wondering if it's the biocide from the tubing. :shrug:

Setix
07-20-2010, 01:20 PM
You're missing a radiator there mate ;)

With Pro-LRT it probably isn't plasticizer, I'm more inclined to think residue from the blocks and rad. Did you flush the system thoroughly before use?

gah you're right...its a Thermochill PA 120.3 15mm spacing

I did flush the system, I'm going to attempt a coolant replacement. It's only water so I'll see if that helps.

TilaTech
07-20-2010, 02:09 PM
gah you're right...its a Thermochill PA 120.3 15mm spacing

I did flush the system, I'm going to attempt a coolant replacement. It's only water so I'll see if that helps.

Did you flush it using warm water and a bit of pressure? We noticed that sometimes gunk still gets stuck in the thicker radiators. Also, you might went to take apart your water block / s and see if there is anything stuck in the pins.

Don't want to replace the coolant just to find a surprise in your water blocks :up:.

Vinas
07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Did you flush it using warm water and a bit of pressure
but be careful not to apply too much pressure, house hold water pressure can pop fins... although it's never happened to me :shrug:

SoulsCollective
07-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Wow, delayed response much :p: Definitely open up the blocks and give them a good clean (soaking in tomato sauce works well), and try flushing the rad with a weak solution of near-boiling water and white vinegar (remove O-rings and fittings first). Prolonged soaking with vinegar solution will eat away at the rad, so don't leave it in and make sure to flush afterwards.