PDA

View Full Version : How to remove fingerprint stains off copper?

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 06:13 AM
A few days ago, I was excitingly examining my new EK Supreme HF Full Copper, and thinking the protective tape on the base would be enough to save it from getting fingerprint stains.

Unfortunately, after removing the protective tape for the first time today I found one big fat perfect print in copper-oxide color straight over the base of the waterblock. :eek: I don't know if that's a manufacturing defect, or was the protective sticker insufficient in keeping finger grease away from the block, but I need a way to clean that off. Lapping is out of the question, since the block has quite a significant (and intentional) curve on the base, which I wouldn't want to alter.

Any ideas?

docwhom
06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
or was the protective sticker insufficient in keeping finger grease away from the block, but I need a way to clean that off.

Any ideas?

Why not use "Brasso" metal polish. Here in Australia, this little product is ideal for Copper, Brass, Pewter, Chrome, Stainless Steel and Zinc.

I use it exclusively on all of my Heat-sinks.......to remove my finger-prints.

Make sure you use a very soft, all-cotton rag.

Zeus
06-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Use ketchup.

skinnee
06-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Krazy Kloth (http://cadie.jensco.com/cleaning_cloths/u53.html)

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

wesley
06-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Why not use "Brasso" metal polish. Here in Australia, this little product is ideal for Copper, Brass, Pewter, Chrome, Stainless Steel and Zinc.

I use it exclusively on all of my Heat-sinks.......to remove my finger-prints.

Make sure you use a very soft, all-cotton rag.

DO NOT USE BRASSO. unless you plan to use acetate to remove brasso impurities.

Brasso makes stuff shine by introducing foreign particles to your surface. It will affect cooling properties if you use it on thermal contact surfaces.

Ketchup is best.

Wes

dinos22
06-11-2010, 08:27 AM
just use a little bit of ketchup or lemon juice thats it

not for long though........30 seconds to one minute should be plenty

Waterlogged
06-11-2010, 08:34 AM
A few days ago, I was excitingly examining my new EK Supreme HF Full Copper, and thinking the protective tape on the base would be enough to save it from getting fingerprint stains.

Unfortunately, after removing the protective tape for the first time today I found one big fat perfect print in copper-oxide color straight over the base of the waterblock. :eek: I don't know if that's a manufacturing defect, or was the protective sticker insufficient in keeping finger grease away from the block, but I need a way to clean that off. Lapping is out of the question, since the block has quite a significant (and intentional) curve on the base, which I wouldn't want to alter.

Any ideas?

OK, let me see if I got this right, your worried about something that's in an area that no one will see and won't effect performance one iota? :rolleyes:

Leave it be.

Vapor
06-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Krazy Kloth (http://cadie.jensco.com/cleaning_cloths/u53.html)Don't let out our secret :mad:

Seriously though, between Tarn-X and Krazy Kloth, any and all stains are really easy to remove.

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 08:42 AM
OK, let me see if I got this right, your worried about something that's in an area that no one will see and won't effect performance one iota? :rolleyes:

Leave it be.

Considering the nature of this forum, I'm surprised you're even asking that question :rofl:

longh
06-11-2010, 08:45 AM
You could also use hydrochloric acid.
Let the copper sit on it for about 30 seconds and then put it under the water tap.
It'll surely leave your copper cleaner than any other cleaning product

Neutronman
06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Ketchup, the citric acid is less harsh and will work extremely well to remove copper oxide......

Elloquin
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
If you have a Taco Bell anywhere near you...their fire sauce will clean anything almost lol. Only takes a few minutes (2). If you don't believe me find the nastiest penny you can find and soak it in the stuff. You'll be surprised...

One_Hertz
06-11-2010, 12:37 PM

Brasso makes stuff shine by introducing foreign particles to your surface. It will affect cooling properties if you use it on thermal contact surfaces.

Ketchup is best.

Wes

Oh :banana::banana::banana::banana:. Thanks for the tip, I used Brasso in the past with some alcohol afterward. Wasn't aware the shine is artificial.

defect9
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
the shine is real (brasso is an abrasive in suspension, I believe), but the particles that are in it must be cleaned off REALLY REALLY WELL or they'll get into your loop and may affect performance. HOnestly after comparing ketchup and brasso on some copper pipes at a job I had, brasso sucks for anything but a basic surface tarnish.

any foreign matter that ketchup introduces is also water soluble and thus VERY easy to remove.

NKrader
06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
or they'll get into your loop and may affect performance.

lol.. how will they pass thru the base of the block and into the coolant?

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 02:57 PM
lol.. how will they pass thru the base of the block and into the coolant?

:rofl: Was thinking the same thing.

docwhom
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM

Wes

I always use

1) Brasso - it dissolves anything from all Metal surfaces.

2) Iso-Pro - 99.7% Isopropyl Alcohol Cleaning Fluid.

3) Combining these chemicals - First Brasso and then Iso-Pro you can remove anything from all metal surfaces - Very quickly.

I use to use Lacquer Thinner, but the smell was unbelievable.......plus, I enjoyed it too much.

I always use the above two chemicals, because I need to clean heaps of cpu's from their ancient heatsink paste/glue-like substances. I had tried to use 'ketchup" before, but it takes way to long for it to remove anything from the surfaces.

Sadhana
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
+ 1 for Brasso here.

I used it for a long time, and after polished with Brasso, I always wipe the residue with isoprophyl alcohol or other similar stuff with that, and give the final touch with Arctic Clean.

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Speaking of chemicals, I've noticed that rubbing alcohol tends to leave quite a bit of these new(ish) metal-particle TIMs on the heatsink and CPU. Even after a few swipes with an alcohol damped cloth, there's stuff on there.

On the other hand, Trichloroethylene, which I got a small amount of when working on a strain gauge project for a civil engineer, seems to clean it like magic. Quite literally, one gentle swipe and all TIM is gone, leaving the CPU as shiny as it was when I first got it out of the box. The smell is likely to make some people "enjoy it too much", though. :)

fallwind
06-12-2010, 02:16 AM
OT but I've started using "non chlorinated brake parts cleaner" for cleaning heatsinks, CPU's, even entire motherboards. It's a combination of petroleum solvent and alcohol. It comes in a spray can at most auto parts stores. It evaporates fast without a trace like pure alcohol but dissolves grease and grime way better. Smells bad too until it evaporates. Just don't use it on plastic as the solvent will melt it. Motherboards take it fine though.

imersa
06-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback here. I was also wondering the same. Will try some out tonight.

NKrader
06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
OT but I've started using "non chlorinated brake parts cleaner" for cleaning heatsinks, CPU's, even entire motherboards. It's a combination of petroleum solvent and alcohol. It comes in a spray can at most auto parts stores. It evaporates fast without a trace like pure alcohol but dissolves grease and grime way better. Smells bad too until it evaporates. Just don't use it on plastic as the solvent will melt it. Motherboards take it fine though.

love this stuff! so amazing. :yepp::up:

:eek: never used on comp parts tho. :shrug:

Kaldor
06-12-2010, 09:38 AM

^^ This

By far the fastest way to clean heatsinks, old TIM, chips, pretty much anything. I dont think it will remove stains though.

Tarn-X is great stuff, but you will need to thoroughly clean with alcohol after the fact. Used it for years in the Marines polishing brass, etc.

BeepBeep2
06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Orange peels and microfibre cloth. Don't underestimate orange oil. :P