PDA

View Full Version : Where's my 470?

Megalamaniac
06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
I just recently installed a dual loop WC system and when I fired everything up for the first time all was fine. Upon my next reboot my second 470 dissapeared. I thought maybe it had died or I killed it trying some overclocking, I didn't overclock them very far and they passed a quick OC test with 0 artifacts after about 10 mins. I replaced the 470 and it still won't show up. I then moved my 2 DDC 3.25 pumps to an external PSU to see if I had maybe overloaded my PSU. I've been running the 2 cards on a HX1000 for over a month without an issue. I finally ran an everest report and it shows I have 2 cards. Any Ideas?

Both 470's are WC and on a loop with a chipset block only. Could I have possibly damaged my MB. All seems to be running fine.

wesley
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
What block are you on for your GPU? Some early EK blocks had issues. Didn't kill the GPUs but shorted something while the block was on.

Wes

Megalamaniac
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
sorry I probably should have listed that stuff. My system is in my sig.

Loop one:
EK Supreme HF
EK X58 Mosfet block set
XSPC 360
DDC 3.25

Loop Two
2x Koolance VID-NX470
EK X58 Full MB Block
XSPC 260
DDC 3.25

XSPC Dual Res for Two DDC Pumps

I'm getting great temps. My GPU is idling at 45c and holding 50-51C under full load (both were), and my CPU is overclocked to 4g is idling 39-40c and around 60-61c under full load. I haven't done any long stress tests as of yet though.

Conumdrum
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I did the 470's with Koolance like you. At first it had recognition problems with both cards. So only powered up one card (6 pin connectors) and the first card came up fine. Shut down, connected power to the second card, both came up fine.

Great temps, I'm happy.

Megalamaniac
06-11-2010, 02:59 AM
Isn't it a bad thing to boot up a Vid card without it being powered? Exactly how did you power the cards one at a time?

I also got to mention that I have a T-Balancer BigNG, Sensor Hub and MiniNG running my fans. If I boot up and do't run the T-nav software all is fine. Once I run the T-nav I start getting conflict problems with one of my hard drives. The drive will dissapear (it's in a Hot-Swap bay, the only one I have) and I have to pull it and pop it back in. I will also get freezes with video and sometimes my system will completely freeze and I will have to force a restart. This will keep happening until I exit the T-nav software.

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Isn't it a bad thing to boot up a Vid card without it being powered?

First time I got a GPU that required the 6-pin power, I plugged it in properly. But the next three times I took the mobo out (and the GPU obviously), I forgot to plug the 6-pin every single time. You'd think after the first one I'd learn a lesson, but nooo.... :D

The card still works fine.

Church
06-11-2010, 03:55 AM
It's not that gpu will burn without extra power. It's just that very possible it won't work at all without it or be very unstable (especially if overclocked). Afterall, 75W provided by pcie slot itself is not that far of from low end or even some middle end gpu power usage.

jumper2high
06-11-2010, 04:58 AM
It's not that gpu will burn without extra power. It's just that very possible it won't work at all without it or be very unstable (especially if overclocked). Afterall, 75W provided by pcie slot itself is not that far of from low end or even some middle end gpu power usage.

Of course, that's a given. If there's a 6-pin power connector on it, guaranteed it's there for a reason. I'm only saying, with limited power, it probably won't be permanently damaged.

Conumdrum
06-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Can't hurt it in my opinion, no power, no smoke?

You have way more in the bootup than I do. I'm simple. I don't even overclock, I see no need to. Games are plenty fast, I'm good.

Big NG, cool. Cheap fan controller, priceless.

Megalamaniac
06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
The 470 has 2x 6 pin connectors and I've heard of people doing damage by forgetting to hook up the extra power connectors to the vid card.

If the PCI-E slot can only supply 75w than wouldn't it stand to reason that if the video card sometimes needs more and it can't get it from the 6 pin connectors then it would draw it from the PCI-E slot and possibly burn out the MB? Not trying to be difficult, just safe.

The reason I mentioned the problem I'm having with the T-nav software is that I'm suspecting that I'm getting some kind of conflict. I've never had the video freezing problem before and I'm positive that when I load the software it's causing a conflict of some kind with the drive and the two may be related. It may also have something to do with my second card not being recognized, or maybe not. I just don't know how to track down if there's a conflict other than checking Device Manager (Win 7 x64) and that hasn't helped. Disconnecting the BigNG hasn't either. I'd also like to find out if there is a way to check if the PCI-E slot is there and eliminate a problem with the MB.

Section8
06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
The 470 has 2x 6 pin connectors and I've heard of people doing damage by forgetting to hook up the extra power connectors to the vid card.

If the PCI-E slot can only supply 75w than wouldn't it stand to reason that if the video card sometimes needs more and it can't get it from the 6 pin connectors then it would draw it from the PCI-E slot and possibly burn out the MB? Not trying to be difficult, just safe.

The reason I mentioned the problem I'm having with the T-nav software is that I'm suspecting that I'm getting some kind of conflict. I've never had the video freezing problem before and I'm positive that when I load the software it's causing a conflict of some kind with the drive and the two may be related. It may also have something to do with my second card not being recognized, or maybe not. I just don't know how to track down if there's a conflict other than checking Device Manager (Win 7 x64) and that hasn't helped. Disconnecting the BigNG hasn't either. I'd also like to find out if there is a way to check if the PCI-E slot is there and eliminate a problem with the MB.

1. Does the Device manager show both cards?
2. Does the SLI option show up in the control panel?

I know there was an issue with the last Realtek LAN update that made systems with SLI'd cards behave similarly to what your describing. I am not sure if you MB uses that or not. Rolling back the driver corrected the issue.

Also have you tested the cards individually since they started giving you problems?

Megalamaniac
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
1. Does the Device manager show both cards?
2. Does the SLI option show up in the control panel?

I know there was an issue with the last Realtek LAN update that made systems with SLI'd cards behave similarly to what your describing. I am not sure if you MB uses that or not. Rolling back the driver corrected the issue.

Also have you tested the cards individually since they started giving you problems?

I've got Marvell Yukon Lan Drivers.

Nope, niether Device manager nor the Nvida control panel show the second card. Everest OSD, MSI Afterburner, and EVGA precision also only show one card, however when I run a report from Everest it shows two cards.

The reason I haven't tested the cards individually yet is because of my setup. The two blocks are connected with a SLI tube. I have drain my loop and ...well you know the rest.

Also the second card is brand new. I replaced the original card so it's the second card I've tried in the slot, I just haven't tried it by itself in that slot yet. (I hope that makes sense, I've actually got three cards at the moment but only two in my rig)

Megalamaniac
06-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Well, looks like I got it back up. I swapped the 6 pin PSU connectors. I moved both of the ones that were on the first card to the second and vice-versa. I saw a post somewhere that someone had a simular issue with 2 470's on a HX1000. I had previously moved the connectors on the second card from one PSU rail to the other. I hoping this doesn't mean I need a bigger PSU-This one was costly enough and I got it before my 470's to hopefully give me tons of headroom. I also chose this PSU BECAUSE it had only two 12v rails and it would be easier to balance. I read that the pumps could possibly be causing stability issues (I guess ripple) on the rails and affecting the Vid cards. Any feedback on this and any recommondations wold be greatly appreciated.

I found the rail distrabution and I apparently had it wrong. I was loading down a rail, seems the two 6 pin fixed connectors are on rail 2 and I assumed rail 1(that whole assume thing...........)