PDA

View Full Version : VGA to RCA and no TV-Out

krogen
06-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Hi,

My laptop has a VGA port on the back. My TV is an old CRT box, and has only svideo and rca inputs. I purchased a VGA to RCA (+svideo) cable but it turns out my laptop doesn't support TV out. The video is black and white, uncentered, and blinks a ton.

The laptop has a Radeon 3100, with newest drivers from Toshiba (because ATI drivers don't want to install and tell me to go to manufacturer's page).

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to get some kind of signal converter?

Thanks. :)

bomberboysk
06-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Check that your output settings are the same resolution/refresh rate of your television.

Lestat
06-17-2010, 11:32 AM
if it is a CRT TV then the MAX resolution you can have without tinkering should be 800x600 but NOT over composite RCA. if i recall that is only 640x480
S-Video is the only one that can support 800x600 i THINK.
if the picture is black and white then the adapter you have is faulty, and honestly, i do not think i have ever seen a VGA to composite, because the video signal from VGA is not a singal stream, it is actually red/blue/green and also has green sync, v-sync, h-sync, etc.

VGA to S-Video is possible and better

here is a VGA to composite & s-video. - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040113&p_id=2509&seq=1&format=2

but usually the black and white picture would denote the adapter is bad or the RCA plug is bad or even maybe the composite video on the TV is bad.

AmiJIm
07-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Such problem happens when ntsc ,pal and secam mix each other.