PDA

View Full Version : MCP350 7 volt mod?

Feizy
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Is it possible to mod the MCP350 pump to 7 volts by keeping the 12 volt line connected to the 12v source and moving the ground over to the 5v line. I got the idea from this: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/137

I just don't want to fry my pump. Thanks!

Waterlogged
06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing the 7 volt trick on a pump.

If you really must undervolt a 350, use something like this.

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=750

Feizy
06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Will it fry it? or will it just slowly kill it?

Waterlogged
06-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Will it fry it? or will it just slowly kill it?

From prior experience running a DDC @ 5V straight off the PSU, I'd say slowly kill it.

Note: see my post above for an alternative.

Feizy
06-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Gotcha, thanks Waterlogged.

jayhall0315
06-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Waterlogged - Why not use something like a Lamptron FC-2 (corrected 2nd edition) which can handle 45 watts per channel and run the DDC down to like ~ 9 to 10 volts. Also, unless I am missing something, running a DDC or 655 below specs down to 7 volts or so, should prolong pump life, not shorten it. - Jay

Waterlogged
06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Waterlogged - Why not use something like a Lamptron FC-2 (corrected 2nd edition) which can handle 45 watts per channel and run the DDC down to like ~ 9 to 10 volts. Also, unless I am missing something, running a DDC or 655 below specs down to 7 volts or so, should prolong pump life, not shorten it. - Jay

That's is another option.

As for the lower volts, there is another member here that accidentally reassembled his 4 pin connector after sleeving and ran his pump @ 5V. Now, I recalled that Martin had tested the DDC3.2 and saying that about 8V was as low as his would start so I was curious as to whether it was possible for the pump to actually start @ 5V. I swapped the pins on the DDC's molex and proceeded to test and to my surprise, it actually started. I did this test as part of a build I was working on at the time and used the testing time as a loop layout/bleeding test session as well. I started the pump roughly a dozen times @ 5V and then it simply stopped starting @ 5V but it still functions fine @ 12V. I can only conclude that starting/running DDC's below the specified 8V can make them a bit cranky.

CrackaBoi
11-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Interesting thread. I combined two DDCs using an EK delrin dual top, and although the DDC is a quiet pump in stock config IMO, they are loud as hell in the dual config with the top inlet.

So I'd like to slow them down in order to decrease the noise, and something like a 9 volt mod might do the trick.

Did we conclude here that molex volt mods aren't good for these pumps?
What is my best bet to slow them down then?

Thanks!

penguins
11-29-2010, 03:09 PM
i have been running 1 ddc @ 5v(accidentally also lol ) for like...3 months of actual usage in 6 months, and another @ 5v purposely for the past 1 or 2 months. lots of power cycles.

i am in no way saying WL is wrong, in fact i am quite worried about them going kaput, but can't stand them @ full tilt.

it is curious though? maybe your pump was on it's way out or something even weirder happened?

i don't have a 3.2 though, i have 'mcp 350's that i got from a user on [h] they aren't swiftech branded, are ddc without the RPM wire, comes with unpinned black and red wires.

i will most likely look into that koolance thingydoo.

edit: they actually look more like a pmp-400 but still no rpm cable..

MagisD
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Interesting thread. I combined two DDCs using an EK delrin dual top, and although the DDC is a quiet pump in stock config IMO, they are loud as hell in the dual config with the top inlet.

So I'd like to slow them down in order to decrease the noise, and something like a 9 volt mod might do the trick.

Did we conclude here that molex volt mods aren't good for these pumps?
What is my best bet to slow them down then?

Thanks!

If there as loud as hell somethings is very very wrong. I'd stripe them down and check.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

CrackaBoi
11-30-2010, 12:20 AM
If there as loud as hell somethings is very very wrong. I'd stripe them down and check.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

Well I've heard that with the inlet on top like that turbulence is created, and I believe having two pumps together amplify the effect. there isn't a rattling sound or anything, just sounds like they are sucking like crazy. Which they are, as my flowmeter indicates.

Would you suspect an o-ring being incorrectly placed or what where you thinking about?

penguins
12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
i would just like to update here.

the longer used pump i have now officially doesn't start up @ 5v. but does at full blast. not too bad with music on but looks like it's getting turned off at night now :|. good thing it didn't stop working while i was asleep!!

so i would have to agree with WL that 5v might work for a while but will cause the pump not to start eventually.