PDA

View Full Version : Counting pins?

toolbox
12-27-2003, 07:11 PM
When doing a volt mod people mention pin 4 or pin 6. How do you know what pin is which? What is the way of counting?

Karnivore
12-27-2003, 08:09 PM
IC's use a basic standard to identify pins, most any will have an indicator of location for pin 1, the writing can also be used to ID pin 1, however as this could be remarked by an assembler to non-standard that would not be 100% I made up a little .jpg that shows standard orientation for IC pins, I've marked 3 possible indicators of pin 1, first is the small Dot in the corner, this can be an actual recess in the chip, or a painted on mark, second is the notch on the end, same thing, can be an actual notch in the chip, or painted on. The final and somewhat less reliable method is referencing the text on the chip, same as the text Iplaced on the .jpg

EDIT: BTW this woulod be a 16 pin Dip, any number of pins on an IC is same, only the corners would change depending on number of pins, except pin 1 of course.

toolbox
12-27-2003, 08:12 PM
The best method to tell is look at the dot?

Karnivore
12-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Well I've given you the 3 possible ways to visually ID the pins of the chip, any one of the 3 would be/are correct. Depending on the Semi-conductor manufacturer's choice of marking any single method could be employed as could all 3 at once. really is no "Best", but the recess or notched chip would not allow for any remarking, or erasure.

toolbox
12-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Thank you, now I get it and when I'm doing Vmods and someone says solder Pin 3 to Pin 8 w/ 50k I won't screw up :)

Karnivore
12-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Welcome, glad I could help.