PDA

View Full Version : HD5770 Stable in Kombustor, Not Stable in games?!

Craftyman.
06-05-2010, 02:44 AM
So I've been playing around with my overclock for my new HD5770 (Asus) and one thing thats really been frustrating me from going higher than 925 is the fact that I'll get a sound looping soft lock anywhere from 10-20 minutes in game. The weird thing is that I can spend 20-30 minutes on Kombustor (furmark) and it will be rock solid!

They arent even demanding games I'm playing: TF2, Doom 3, it even happened on QUAKE LIVE (?!)

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

One_Hertz
06-05-2010, 08:15 AM
This has always been the case for me. Kombustor is stable at higher clocks than games.

Craftyman.
06-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I see, what should I use then that isnt so misleading?

JoeBar
06-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Lower about 20mhz from the kombustor stable clocks and retest in games. It's really ashame that we still haven't got a reliable artifact/stability test...

Oh i really miss the ΑTI Tool days...

Craftyman.
06-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Lower about 20mhz from the kombustor stable clocks and retest in games. It's really ashame that we still haven't got a reliable artifact/stability test...

Oh i really miss the ΑTI Tool days...

I agree. It almost doesn't make any sense to me as the GPU usage can be up near 90% in Kombustor and only 40-50% in TF2 but it will still crash. I guess it has nothing to do with how much your GPU is loaded? :shrug:

YukonTrooper
06-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree. It almost doesn't make any sense to me as the GPU usage can be up near 90% in Kombustor and only 40-50% in TF2 but it will still crash. I guess it has nothing to do with how much your GPU is loaded? :shrug:
I imagine it's because different parts of the card are being stressed when gaming. For example, the memory is doing more lifting in gaming, while the shaders are getting more of a workout in Kombustor. I'm not saying that's exactly the case, but a similar scenario is my best guess at what's happening.

tool_462
06-05-2010, 08:09 PM
I find my Furmark OC on my 5770, then bump the voltage one more notch and run a few passes of Crysis Benchmark Tool and have had good luck with that method. 1Ghz core = easy peasy :)

Craftyman.
06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

One more quick question: whats a good everyday running voltage for these cards? is 1.3 too high?

Ket
06-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Depends on your cooling. General rule of thumb for me is keep the GPU under 70c full load. As long as you keep temps under control you won't do any real damage with 1.3v, if memory serves stock voltage is about 1.2v anyway.

Chumbucket843
06-07-2010, 07:37 PM
I imagine it's because different parts of the card are being stressed when gaming. For example, the memory is doing more lifting in gaming, while the shaders are getting more of a workout in Kombustor. I'm not saying that's exactly the case, but a similar scenario is my best guess at what's happening.

that's pretty much it. internally on a chip temperature can vary a lot and it can bottleneck how high the hardware can clock. the hotter areas are called hotspots and generally these will bottleneck how high you can get core clocks b/c OCing makes hotspots worse. how the hardware is used varies with code being run so furmark might get the gpu very hot but its not pushing the hotspot(s) to the limit. it's like finding a gpu's g-spot with these overclocking tests.

Craftyman.
06-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Meh, its not stable at 1000 Core and 1.3v I think I need a new HSF :down:

Anyone know if its possible to buy other manufacturer stock HSF anywhere? The sapphire one with 3 fans looks so tasty :p: