PDA

View Full Version : internet on friends computer suddenly "stopped working"

TerroH8er
12-27-2003, 06:06 PM
I've got a friends computer here that I'm trying to fix and I'm having difficulty with it. Apparently he moved his computer and modem from his upstairs to his downstairs. Bam. The internet no longer works. So he hits me up on the phone and he's like "yo the internet isn't working cause i moved it" and im like "well move it back" but it didn't work there either. The IP it gets from ipconfig is the one that Windows gives when theres a problem or whatever (not 0.0.0.0 but like.. 196.164.xxx.xxx [its not that, but i think you get my point]). So we virus scanned and got nothing (definitions were up to date.. 12/23). We scanned with Ad-aware. We got rid of Gator and NewDotNet and some other leet programs but to no avail. We can't even connect to the router (if you were wondering, we tried it without the router). I called the ISP and just checked to make sure it wasn't on their end but it ended up as a call to tech support and the guy was like "It's a problem with the computer's TCP/IP something, and you're gonna have to give it to the computer's manufacturer" and I'm just like kthx bye. So here I am.

If you know me then you know that I don't like things having to do with networking (on the other hand, I'm sure you could probably know me and not know that.. but again, I'm just trying to get my point across).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: OH!!!!!!!!!! i forgot.. when you ipconfig /renew it says something like.. the thing you are trying to renew is not a socket.

sjohnson
12-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Reseat the NIC and try a different network cable. Make sure all cable ends are seated.

Since you can't connect to the router and report the problem as occurring because of a physical move, it's likely a physical issue:

The cable
The cable ends
The NIC itself
Plugged into the wrong port of the modem
Needs crossover cable between router and modem or PC and modem

Keeper
12-27-2003, 06:50 PM
I went loony a week ago after setting up a hub on my network and had a very similar problem; the cable was working fine one minute, and no internet the next. I didn’t know it was the cable for a couple of days, this cable would work one minute and not the next, and it would work when I put on one PC, but on the hub it was a “no go”. I was going nuts, but all that was wrong was I had a poorly built cable.

TerroH8er
12-27-2003, 09:53 PM
I've tried 2 other cables so far.

His first NIC was onboard, and after this happened we went out and bought a PCI one and it still doesn't work.

He used the same cable that he used before which I'm guessing is crossover.

See.. I'm stumped..

2fast4u
12-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Are we talking about a cable modem? If so, unplug it for about 3 hours and hit the reset if it has one. It is probably not renewing the lease on the ip address so the numbers the network is looking for don't matchup. The modem may not work on another cable outlet in the same house as they can be very touchy about the signal strenght coming in from the coax cable. Sending it "back to the manufacturer for TCP\IP settings" sounds like a cop out by the cable tech.

Keeper
12-27-2003, 10:25 PM
2Fast4u, might have your answer, the memory in the modem needing to be cleared.

Hoping thats it.

2fast4u
12-27-2003, 10:31 PM
Also, if you are going into a router, power up the modem and let it cycle until it shows online, then power up the router, then the pc. I have seen this cause problems with certian router/modem combinations.

TerroH8er
12-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Well.. I brought the computer home with me so I tried it on my equipment but it is still not working.
At first I thought it could be the modem but then when I hooked up the router and the computer couldn't even connect to the router's browser configuration, I figured it had to be something with the computer.

Oh well.. I'll try updating the virus definitions again and install SP1.. maybe that will do something *shrug* I guess I could reinstall windows but right now I guess I'm just looking for a simple fix :P

Thanks for your help

TerroH8er
12-28-2003, 11:57 AM
the error code when you try to ipconfig /renew is WSAENOTSOCK if that helps *shrug* the MS knowledge base says this.

When you call Getsockname() on a duplicated socket, the call may not succeed and you may receive error 10038 (WSAENOTSOCK).

This problem occurs when the following conditions exist:
If the socket handle is duplicated using DuplicateHandle().
The socket is bound and listening on the loopback address 127.0.0.1.
The network cable is unplugged.
Microsoft Proxy Client is installed.

To resolve the problem, use the WSADuplicateSocket() call to share a socket between processes.

Now, since I don't speak Microsoftish, someones gonna have to help decipher this :P

thanks again

sjohnson
12-28-2003, 12:11 PM
Win2k, XP or? We need more info to help.

Show a SS of the Device Manager after doing "View->Show Hidden Devices" and expanding the Network Adapters section.

TerroH8er
12-28-2003, 12:13 PM
WinXP Pro.. hold up I'll get the screenshots in a couple minutes

TerroH8er
12-28-2003, 12:27 PM

TerroH8er
12-28-2003, 12:50 PM
hold on.. i think i might have gotten it.

yep.. i got it.

I did some more detective work on google and this time something caught my eye. I saw something about New.net and "not a socket" and it hit me that when I went over there he told me how he scanned yesterday and got 45 spyware files on AdAware. Upon reading this it went into detail about how programs like New.net could cause the internet not to work and on a link to the page it said how when running ipconfig /renew it gives you the same message that I described. I scurried to find a floppy to get the small program onto and the light gleamed in my eyes and it said it had repaired the LSP (or whatever it is). As I restarted I saw the warm sight of Steam (no pun intended) pop up asking him to log in.

Case closed.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Thanks everyone :)

2fast4u
12-28-2003, 01:48 PM
OK, I'm glad its back up. One question though, why are there 8 adaptors listed in your device manager? Is this a server?

sjohnson
12-28-2003, 02:04 PM
2fast4u - No, that's normal for XP. You can disable the extras but they come with the O/S - you see them when you enable Show Hidden Devices.

TerroH8er - sorry, I had thought of new.net but thought you'd already addressed that issue. Get Spybot Search & Destroy at a minimum, if your bud has bad surfing habits that will help in the future.

TerroH8er
12-28-2003, 02:04 PM
no.. it gives you those when you show hidden devices I think.

it's not my computer btw

edit: yeah i thought that too, but apparently the problem lies with when you remove the spyware it leaves traces behind if you use an outdated version of AdAware (which he has)

sjohnson
12-28-2003, 04:00 PM
new.net can be one of the worst to clean. Nasty little stains all over the O/S. Seems new.net can't hold it's booze and puques all over the place :(