PDA

View Full Version : De miniralised water or distilled water

mav2000
05-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi,

Would de miniralised water be as good as using distilled water in a loop, or should I avoid that.

FreeRadical
05-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Get medical grade distilled water from the local chemist brutha.
Wash the loop and bleed it and then refill it again.

You don't need to add antifreeze or any of that awful coloring stuff.

mav2000
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks FR...and nice to see u here

LittleKnown
05-30-2010, 08:50 PM
De mineralised water is not advisable, it is only for car batteries as far as I know, just use normal distilled water, I would go against adding any kind of color dye to the mix too, some guys here had mixed 10% coolant with the water and got good results but its not needed for the computer, so just fill it with distilled water and add some anti algae type of stuff in that, do not forget it or you will be cleaning the innards again and again.

mav2000
05-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Am going to be using two drops of PT Nuke along with Distilled water...just hoping to get some medical grade stuff.

shazza
05-31-2010, 01:58 AM
If you do a search on distilled vs demineralized water, you'll find lots of discussion on the topic.

Bottom line - while good quality distilled is what most people use, you can use demineralized (or "battery") water if that's all that is readily available.

In my opinion (note the qualification there), there is no need to pay for very high quality distilled water - the stuff you can get from most supermarkets / pharmacies in the US is fine. In some other locations, distilled water is not so easily found.

weston
05-31-2010, 05:53 AM
Where I work (chemical company) We use De-mineralized water for all our products, and it has a electrical resistance of 18Mohm. I'd think it would be fine to use either, but distilled would be cheaper.

deuketc
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Ive been using De-mineralized water with a silver coil for about a year now, no problems.

affiliate13
05-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Ive been using De-mineralized water with a silver coil for about a year now, no problems.

Same here, in two loops with two different pumps. No issues to report.
Distilled isnt widely available in stores where i am but De-ionised is.

Distilled is probably the better option if you can find it though.

motas
06-01-2010, 04:14 AM
What about mayhem dyes? Been looking at dues for a while and haven't heard anything bad about them but not much good either.

Soulwind
06-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Pretty much any dye will eventually lead to:

1) Staining of your Tubes and Res
2) Precipitation and "Gunk" buildup in your blocks

As long as you're willing to break down the loop every 4-6 months, do a full cleaning, and rebuild the loop, then dyes are OK.

But, it's a lot of un-needed work.

If you really want color then go for plain distilled + anti-algae (pt nuke, kill coil, etc) and Colored Tubes rather than clear tubes + dye.

Hannibal Lecter
06-01-2010, 08:33 AM
I have been using demineralised water for several years without a problem. Add some silver and that's all you need.

Rumpus01
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
So let me get this straight. I want the cleanest coolant possible for my loop using distilled water since it's cheap and I already have an abundance of it. What type of anti-corrosion should I use, or I can use silver correct?
also, do you need to get very specific with the distilled water to corrosion blocker ratio or is winging it good enough?

ryan92084
06-01-2010, 11:14 AM
if you aren't mixing metals(alu and cu) then you don't need an anti corrosive additive and using one may actually do harm. A silver killcoil (or homemade equivelant) is all the biocide you need.

Rumpus01
06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
So for my single CPU loop with the GTZ and MCR320, I would just use distilled water and a killcoil put in the reservoir correct?

Zigosity
06-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Same, 0 problems.