PDA

View Full Version : ASUS M3 Series - X6 Bios Support - UNACCEPTABLE

p4spooky
05-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Starting a new thread to track current state of ASUS 790FX/NVidia series BIOS for X6/Thuban support

Here is the summary of boards I have tested so far (most on client machines) based on Asus M3 series based on 790FX and Nvidia 780i chipsets.

1. M3A79-T - Beta bios 1606 - Broken, cannot overclock - Bingo13 working on this
2. M4A79 Dlx - 3402 - Broken, Turbo does not work, HUGE Vdrop and unstable overclock
3. M3N-HT Deluxe - 3002 - Broken, No option to turn off turbo, multiplier stuck at 16, does not run anything over dafault

These are top of the line boards from the previous AM2+/DDR2 series.

Bingo13 has been doing great keep us all informed. But so far Asus has put out buggy/crap Bios for all of their M3 series boards and some of their M4 series boards. Unacceptable IMO

On the contrary, my personal board Foxconn A79A-S got a new Bios P09 yesterday. With powernow turned off (their version of CNQ), the CPU overclocks to 4Ghz at 1.4V, multpliers do not budge on idle (does not downlock) and rock stable. Interestingly this BIOS has AGESA version 3.7.0.1. This bios has its quirks (see post from RaV[666] but is able to overclock, maintain stable voltages and it rock stable on Win 7 x64 with 8GB RAM.

Asus are you listining? May be you guys can look at this (P09 for A79A-S) BIOS and figure out how Foxconn is able to make a perfectly stable and working BIOS for 790FX chipset? :down:

RaV[666]
05-22-2010, 10:45 AM
As a side note i can inform you that foxconn with cnq enabled works like utter crap with x6, and also turbo core almost never kicks in.
At stock with cnq in cinebench single core bench i got a score of 1600mhz PHII, i mean REALLY crappy.
Their final bios is exactly the same as a beta bios.CPUNB vid is unheard of.In order to even get cnq working i have to set to laptop profile(desktop never downlocks),and phenommsr doesnt work (because cnq isnt supported correctly).
So thats with a good bios support from fox:banana::banana::banana::banana:.
From what i heard asrock/gigabyte is doing a good job with support.

p4spooky
05-22-2010, 11:17 AM
;4401095']As a side note i can inform you that foxconn with cnq enabled works like utter crap with x6, and also turbo core almost never kicks in.
At stock with cnq in cinebench single core bench i got a score of 1600mhz PHII, i mean REALLY crappy.
Their final bios is exactly the same as a beta bios.CPUNB vid is unheard of.In order to even get cnq working i have to set to laptop profile(desktop never downlocks),and phenommsr doesnt work (because cnq isnt supported correctly).
So thats with a good bios support from fox:banana::banana::banana::banana:.
From what i heard asrock/gigabyte is doing a good job with support.

OUCH - I Did not test default settings LOL :shrug: You are correct on the CPUNB option not being available.

Anyway I am happy with this board for now - overclocked it is very stable and benchmarks are consistent with the other scores I have seen here for a X6 running at 4Ghz. With Asus I cannot get a stable overclock :rolleyes:

Dolk
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
So I have the M3A79T-Dlx beta Bios 1606, and I can OC just fine. With the exception of Multiplier on the CPU. Been able to get 4.0ghz easily.

chew*
05-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not tied to any brand therefore I can say stuff without being biased.

Not one 790 board ever boasted X6 support. The fact that manufacturers did not forget those users is a + and any effort to support products that a product line was never intended for is a plus imo. Remember there were no X6 cpu's floating around for manufacturers to "tune" to when 790 was released.

Try to keep that in perspective.

Leeghoofd
05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Don't you think that updating older boards to these new CPU's will take a bit longer. They are focussing right now at the 890 series, the rest will come. And if you try to look around there are like Chew said a lot of manufacturers that have issues...

Don't start another H A T E or brand X is C R A P thread plz... give it some time... Foxconn also only got a few boards, Asus and co got zillions to update...

freeloader
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
It's Asus we're talking about, what did anyone expect? THEY HAVE THE WORSE CUSTOMER SUPPORT EVER.

Valg
05-22-2010, 02:08 PM
ASRock, Biostar and ECS Group did the first BIOS updates for their MBO for X6 support...

If the M3 series doesnt get the BIOS support at all, this will be a big fail for Asus,
and they will get many haters...

Leeghoofd
05-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Let's reverse the ball Valg: how many products do these manufacturers have ? The Thuban still does not work 100% on my 890GX...

Think we have to wait till the little bugs get worked out... Asus and co already updated the biosses to support Thuban, but there are still issues (multipliers not working etc...)... only time will tell...

Amasing input freeloader, that will get it sorted for sure... think we will get more of them positive thoughts soon... sigh

chew*
05-22-2010, 02:25 PM
TBH I am tempted to shake the dust off my m4a boards and see if I can give ASUS a hand.

With the attitiudes above though, rather not waste my time, as it is I already have very little free time to myself working on "current boards"

Mechromancer
05-22-2010, 02:26 PM
ASUS started BIOS support from newest boards to oldest boards. They just rolled around to our M3 series boards. BE PATIENT! We're lucky we get any X6 support at all so be thankful and count your blessing. Now I understand how you feel. We were promised that AM2+ boards would work with AM3 CPUs. This has been fulfilled with all AM3 CPUs up to the X6 series (which we never imagined we'd see when our boards were new). The power features on the X6 are really pushing what AM2+, 790-based boards were built for. It's nice for AMD thay they can push out new CPUs faster than BIOS teams can keep up, but it also means we have to wait for support. Let's not bash ASUS this early in the game.

Oese
05-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm not tied to any brand therefore I can say stuff without being biased.

Not one 790 board ever boasted X6 support. The fact that manufacturers did not forget those users is a + and any effort to support products that a product line was never intended for is a plus imo. Remember there were no X6 cpu's floating around for manufacturers to "tune" to when 790 was released.

Try to keep that in perspective.

chew* thats just not true. DFI for example took a bit longer but they have very good and stable bios out for their AM3 series by now. Turbo, cnq, overclocking with disabled turbo, it all works like it should, and no vdroop/overvolting/quirks whatsoever. Only thing is resume from s3 and c1e dont work yet but they push it.

For MSI the same was true on my 785GM-E65 it worked like a charm from day one, also a none-8xx series board....

It has nothing to do with 790 vs. 890 it is just politics and time which board comes first. This is absolutely true ASUS has so many boards out it takes a bit longer..

chew*
05-22-2010, 03:00 PM
chew* thats just not true. DFI took a bit longer but they have very good and stable bios out for their AM3 series by now. Turbo, cnq, overclocking with disabled turbo, it all works like it should, and no vdroop/overvolting/quirks whatsoever. Only thing is resume from s3 and c1e dont work yet but they push it.

It has nothing to do with 790 vs. 890 it is just politics.

For MSI the same was true on my 785GM-E65 it worked like a charm from day one, also a none-8xx series board....

This may be true but your also comparing apples to oranges. Budget overclocking boards versus high end boards that everybody just "expects" to exceed the average ocing wise.

As far as droop or overvolting. Lets take a look at m4a79_deluxe ddr II. Board had and always has had voltage issues.
Increase the current draw.....what do you think happens......it surely doesn't get better.

As with all boards some are a cut above the rest, although an excellent ram clocker that particular model was never a stellar 24/7 prime stable system. A bios is not going to magically fix that when the issues it had/has were at a hardware level........That particular model needs a hardmod IMO ;)

For all manufactuers sometimes they hit and sometimes they don't.

Lets use DFI for an example, the dfi nf4 was the board to have........they have been preety much fail on every other board etc no board they have ever made since has been hands down "the board" to use.

*EDIT* One more thing to add. Look at it from a business perspective......ASUS is selling it's most expensive to recent date AMD board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644

Now ask yourself honestly where if you owned a buisness your focus would be? New board charging a premium or older boards in excess of 2 years running some of which are no longer going down assembly line. I think the issue here is not necearily anything to do with support, I think the problem is some of you want it done NOW and ASUS as a business is focussing on there current flagship NOW. Sure they will get to it but not as fast as some of you expect them to.

If anything I have learned in my 35 years of age is nothing gets done when you want it done, it gets done at earliest convenience and having a little patience goes a long way.

p4spooky
05-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Did not start this thread to bash ASUS. I truly appreciate their efforts and Bingo13 help in these forums. What is puzzling is they are have so many issues getting a working BIOS out and the consistency of the bad ones they are putting out. I am sure it will be fixed but how long should we wait? These are not cheap boards we are talking about here.

Chew/anyone else wants to take a crack at this Bios, I am happy to test or many be even try some assembly coding :)

Oese
05-22-2010, 03:45 PM
This may be true but your also comparing apples to oranges. Budget overclocking boards versus high end boards that everybody just "expects" to exceed the average ocing wise.

As far as droop or overvolting. Lets take a look at m4a79_deluxe ddr II. Board had and always has had voltage issues.
Increase the current draw.....what do you think happens......it surely doesn't get better.

As with all boards some are a cut above the rest, although an excellent ram clocker that particular model was never a stellar 24/7 prime stable system. A bios is not going to magically fix that when the issues it had/has were at a hardware level........That particular model needs a hardmod IMO ;)

For all manufactuers sometimes they hit and sometimes they don't.

Lets use DFI for an example, the dfi nf4 was the board to have........they have been preety much fail on every other board etc no board they have ever made since has been hands down "the board" to use.

*EDIT* One more thing to add. Look at it from a business perspective......ASUS is selling it's most expensive to recent date AMD board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644

Now ask yourself honestly where if you owned a buisness your focus would be? New board charging a premium or older boards in excess of 2 years running some of which are no longer going down assembly line. I think the issue here is not necearily anything to do with support, I think the problem is some of you want it done NOW and ASUS as a business is focussing on there current flagship NOW. Sure they will get to it but not as fast as some of you expect them to.

If anything I have learned in my 35 years of age is nothing gets done when you want it done, it gets done at earliest convenience and having a little patience goes a long way.

the business viewpoint is the only true one. its not chipset or mainstream vs highend

the DFI and the MSI 785GM-E65 is midrange, and they work well

the point is the boards the op mentioned are outdated and not prioritized from the company

About DFI failing, i dont really know what you are talking about. what is "the board to have" or not depends on complex trends in the community and you can imagine these very well.

True is, after one very exciting and one "failing" (not worse then many asus) board in bad times for AMD some marketing decided to put more efford into intel. Thats sad but does not mean they moved one millimeter from solid bios programming, imo still the straightest biosses around, even if not following every trend... But thats another thing.

Its all business.. And only very little heartblooded by some companies...

chew*
05-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Oese,

Like I said I think a majority of it is priority and tbh can you blame any manufacturer? Also leeghoofds point still applies here, more boards more workload.

I have been going like this personally non stop for a month now. This really benefits me none at all, I get little sleep, am grumpy 90% of time, have no time to bench other than to diagnose issues and or tell if issues are fixed. Excuse the msss but i think it gets the point across, sure there are many others testers out there doing the same.

In the end it helps endusers and thats all that matters to me.

http://chew.ln2cooling.com/qdig-files/converted-images/The_Laboratory/med_IMG_2540.JPG

Oese
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
no offense, i know the companies like "users" like you, cause they do the testing for them. Its fun to an extend but sometimes you just fell exploited.

What is good is they link the companies to the users, tho. That is needed in an unbiased way^^

I blame the companies to an extend tho: Where is the quality workmanship? Where is the passion for what they doing? Sometimes i feel they are passionate solely about marketing, and leave the work and disappointment to those who are passionate about the hardware itself.

Still, i dont blame them for prioritizing. I didnt mean that. In this point you are absolutely right and thats my conclusion to this too: Whilst AMD offers backwards compatibility over quite a few generations, the board makers dont have the resources to realize this for every single product. The cause is the x6 have more new features on the bios side then all the processor changes from athlon 64 to phenom II x4 brought with them (i dont mean platform changes, that means new boards and new designs/products, only new processor on old board).

Maybe that's what AMD and some board manufacturers would like: Sell x6 only with newer Boards, let it look like a platform change while it isnt. Because then you indeed have much more time to develop (since there are naturally always more older then brandnew boards ;) )..

BTW another question since above someone mentioned turbo kicks in very seldomly: I often see turbo vcore applied but not turbo in coretemp. I think the p-state changes especially with turbo are very fast, and coretemp reads every second only. I searched for amd power now dashboard or something like this since AOD does not like k10stat that much...

Some things are not the fault of the manufacturer tho they are just how they are ;) And, chew*, on another hand: I think these are exciting two month on the bios side now. And isnt it at least a bit fun?? ;) For me is.. Long time not seen such excitement everywhere... :D

chew*
05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Some things are not the fault of the manufacturer tho they are just how they are ;) And, chew*, on another hand: I think these are exciting two month on the bios side now. And isnt it at least a bit fun?? ;) For me is.. Long time not seen such excitement everywhere... :D

To be truthfull Oese i'm getting tired. The excitement wears off quickly nowadays. All I see are numbers now.

Oese
05-22-2010, 04:39 PM
for that i blame the companies then..

birdiex
05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Message is clear: buy Crosshair IV, older motherboards might not ever have FULL X6 support, they say new BIOS have, but running some tests with AMD, Heaven 2.0 or using AMD Overdrive shows it's not true. Not sure we'll see proper M3 or M4 BIOS since ASUS is concentrated on new motherboards.

chew*
05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Message is clear: buy Crosshair IV, older motherboards might not ever have FULL X6 support, they say new BIOS have, but running some tests with AMD, Heaven 2.0 or using AMD Overdrive shows it's not true. Not sure we'll see proper M3 or M4 BIOS since ASUS is concentrated on new motherboards.

I think you missed the above points. There is no doubt they will get the bios's working. Just maybe not as fast as some of you would like.

Making posts like this does not help. If I worked for ASUS and I read this guess what i would do?

I would take my own sweet time and make you wait longer.

Lucky for you I don't work for anyone ;)

Want to get things fixxed quicker? Instead of :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing and making snide remarks start a thread with other users that is intelligent without the snide remarks/slander or sarcasm listing all the bugs you can find with the exact hardware in use. Most likely this will get you much more positive attention and also be far more constructive.

birdiex
05-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I just explained current state of things for people who hope for a BIOS every week, I know ASUS can fix the X6 supported motherboards but they have to go from top to bottom. Sorry for my destructive comments, my last 3 mobos were Asus so it's not like I have anything against them, I'm not masochist :)

chew*
05-23-2010, 01:14 AM
I just explained current state of things for people who hope for a BIOS every week, I know ASUS can fix the X6 supported motherboards but they have to go from top to bottom. Sorry for my destructive comments, my last 3 mobos were Asus so it's not like I have anything against them, I'm not masochist :)

Fair enough.

I'm creating a thread now. M4a79 deluxe up first.

p4spooky
05-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Fair enough.

I'm creating a thread now. M4a79 deluxe up first.

Here is the link to Chew's thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252492

My objective was raise awareness of the issues in the X6 BIOS released so far. I think we did it. Now let's hope Bingo13 can take this back to Asus and get a working Bios. :D

Upgrading to CH4 is something not all customers want to do.

bingo13
05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
It's Asus we're talking about, what did anyone expect? THEY HAVE THE WORSE CUSTOMER SUPPORT EVER.

So I suppose the lack of direct customer support from other manufacturers in this forum makes them what??? :rofl:

bingo13
05-23-2010, 08:45 AM
We are working on tuning the BIOS updates for the older boards now. The first priority was to get Thuban to boot and to be stable at stock settings, the same settings about 99.6% of the computer population utilizies on a daily basis. We had a very large population of boards to get to that point.

Yes, I personally would have loved for every M3/M4 BIOS to be perfect and allow users to set OC records on the day of launch but the time it takes to tune a bios is quite lengthly. I am not making excuses here but when you are dealing with chipsets that were never designed to handle this product while still having to maintain backward compatibility with a liteny of single, dual, tri, and quad core processors in a very limited ROM space, it is not quick and easy especially considering there have been numerous AGESA code updates from AMD in the past two months as they optimized the core BIOS code. These constant updates have now stopped and we have a stable AGESA code to work with now. This is the same for Gigabyte, MSI, DFI, or others.

We could have targeted a few boards and spent all the resources on tuning those first but what would users of the other 85% of our products say if the board would not even boot. That said, we are taking the input from here, other users, and beta testers to improve these particular BIOS releases as quickly as possible for the more popular boards. I would like to add that AMD did not just wake up one day and decide to produce the 8-series chipsets, Thuban was the driving factor and there are numerous technical reasons for it and it is not just marketing related. ;)

Stepping off the soap box and away from being an ASUS employee, think of this example. Let's say I just purchased a 2010 Shelby GT500 a year ago when they first hit the market and now a year later, Ford decides to totally revamp the suspension and is dropping the GT all aluminum 5.4 block into the car that saves about 100lbs off the nose making it one of the better handling cars around and much faster on the road course events.

Do you think a Ford Engineer is going to show up at my door tomorrow and update my car for free or is it expected that I spend some additional funds to either purchase the new Track Pack suspension upgrade and maybe the GT block bringing my car up to speed with the current offering. Now go back to my 2004 Cobra that was never designed to handle this engine and suspension package, is it Ford's responsibility to update my car free of cost or is it mine if I want to purchase/use the latest technology and reap the benefits from it.

The same holds true for consumer electronics, did Apple provide a free update that turned the iPhone 3G into a 3GS or is Sharp providing a free update to switch my AQUOS TV into a Quattron? We are in a very unique industry where items such as a BIOS update when a faster CPU is released allows us to keep a platform in operation far longer than those of other products that we purchase on a daily basis. The fact that we can even update and evolve our platform is still a unique experience and one that should be respected. I quite remember the times where this was not even possible and I am afraid it might be that way again in the future. ;)

Anyway, we are working on BIOS updates for the previous products and will continue to work on them until we reach the hardware's limit. A product with a particular power plane design or one with a 2MB BIOS ROM will only allow a certain amount of tuning. In the meantime, I am here for assistance and to ensure we address your problems as quickly as possible. :D

p4spooky
05-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Point taken Bingo13. I will wait for the next revision to come out. Meanwhile, it is a big asset to have an Asus employee monitoring this forum. Cannot ask for more. GREAT JOB :up:

birdiex
05-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your reply, I see competition are releasing a lot of BIOS as well so I guess it's a matter of time and work now that you have a solid base (AGESA, etc) and processors are booting and been recognized like any other on the first X6 BIOSes.

BeepBeep2
05-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Very well said bingo13. :up::clap:

RaV[666]
05-23-2010, 09:41 AM
As a another side note ;-).
Yes foxconn behaves OK if you turn off all cnq options.
However i cant get it to stable operation on the same parameters that my 910 worked :-/ .Im waiting on a megashadow however and starting tomorrow i will do some extensive tweaking ;-).
BUT, seeing as bingo is working here with community i would certainly say that asus support is better, yes it got them longer to get bootable bios, but foxconn had maybe 3 am2+ boards, so it certailny was easier for them.And more importantly, foxconn shoved newest AGESA on their oldtimer bios so X6 boots, but they slapped "final" sticker on a very basic bios and from what i understand they are done with it despite many flaws.
IF asus goes further as to polishing their implementation (which seems to be the case) ,its much better to have something later but fully functional.

BeepBeep2
05-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Thats probably the only thing that has kept me far far away from foxconn, their horrible bios support. I bought an AM2 board for AM2+ / Phenom compatibility...otherwise I would have gone with the E6xxx series. I got screwed over when foxconn just stopped updating the BIOS'es (not even Phenom I support) and ASUS updated their M2N32 board to support all the way up to 955 C2's.

Titan7171
05-23-2010, 10:25 AM
We are working on tuning the BIOS updates for the older boards now. The first priority was to get Thuban to boot and to be stable at stock settings, the same settings about 99.6% of the computer population utilizies on a daily basis. We had a very large population of boards to get to that point.

Yes, I personally would have loved for every M3/M4 BIOS to be perfect and allow users to set OC records on the day of launch but the time it takes to tune a bios is quite lengthly. I am not making excuses here but when you are dealing with chipsets that were never designed to handle this product while still having to maintain backward compatibility with a liteny of single, dual, tri, and quad core processors in a very limited ROM space, it is not quick and easy especially considering there have been numerous AGESA code updates from AMD in the past two months as they optimized the core BIOS code. These constant updates have now stopped and we have a stable AGESA code to work with now. This is the same for Gigabyte, MSI, DFI, or others.

We could have targeted a few boards and spent all the resources on tuning those first but what would users of the other 85% of our products say if the board would not even boot. That said, we are taking the input from here, other users, and beta testers to improve these particular BIOS releases as quickly as possible for the more popular boards. I would like to add that AMD did not just wake up one day and decide to produce the 8-series chipsets, Thuban was the driving factor and there are numerous technical reasons for it and it is not just marketing related. ;)

Stepping off the soap box and away from being an ASUS employee, think of this example. Let's say I just purchased a 2010 Shelby GT500 a year ago when they first hit the market and now a year later, Ford decides to totally revamp the suspension and is dropping the GT all aluminum 5.4 block into the car that saves about 100lbs off the nose making it one of the better handling cars around and much faster on the road course events.

Do you think a Ford Engineer is going to show up at my door tomorrow and update my car for free or is it expected that I spend some additional funds to either purchase the new Track Pack suspension upgrade and maybe the GT block bringing my car up to speed with the current offering. Now go back to my 2004 Cobra that was never designed to handle this engine and suspension package, is it Ford's responsibility to update my car free of cost or is it mine if I want to purchase/use the latest technology and reap the benefits from it.

The same holds true for consumer electronics, did Apple provide a free update that turned the iPhone 3G into a 3GS or is Sharp providing a free update to switch my AQUOS TV into a Quattron? We are in a very unique industry where items such as a BIOS update when a faster CPU is released allows us to keep a platform in operation far longer than those of other products that we purchase on a daily basis. The fact that we can even update and evolve our platform is still a unique experience and one that should be respected. I quite remember the times where this was not even possible and I am afraid it might be that way again in the future. ;)

Anyway, we are working on BIOS updates for the previous products and will continue to work on them until we reach the hardware's limit. A product with a particular power plane design or one with a 2MB BIOS ROM will only allow a certain amount of tuning. In the meantime, I am here for assistance and to ensure we address your problems as quickly as possible. :D

Ford does not claim backward compatability with future products but AMD/ASUS use those claims. Even if not written in stone alot of people are probably expecting not have to spend that money on a new mobo and DDR3 to get Thuban running. This is important because many people who run AMD did so to save money by not buying an Intel setup at the same time being able to make a decent cpu upgrade/increase in performance in the future. Now the problem with this is that if you dont keep that promise of backward compatability for those people who were trying to save money by using AMD product (Deneb) and taking a hit on performance by not buying Intel You can eventually lose those customers by not keeping the promise. In their minds they would say, "well what the hell I should have bought the Intel setup if I was going to end up spending the money anyway":rolleyes:

Backwards compatability is one of the more important arguments AMD makes against purchasing Intel.:yepp:

BTW this is just a point of view I already have a Crosshair 4.......but I can see how people could be sour waiting for a bios. M3A79-T Deluxe was Asus most expensive mobo at the time for AMD $179+ so I think many were expecting a bios out the door.

NaMcO
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
(...) it is a big asset to have an Asus employee monitoring this forum. Cannot ask for more. GREAT JOB :up:

This :up:

chew*
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Titan, not for nothing but sometimes overclocking requires a little time and effort. If you take a look at the thread i made apparently both m4a boards can nail a 4 gig OC with a little time and energy working around current issues. I say that's quite a tad better then just "backward compatibility" which the definition of that = It works not necessarily good but it works.

That said i'm tired and grumpy due to lack of sleep. Signing off for now.

wolverine
05-23-2010, 12:16 PM
chew* thats just not true. DFI for example took a bit longer but they have very good and stable bios out for their AM3 series by now. Turbo, cnq, overclocking with disabled turbo, it all works like it should, and no vdroop/overvolting/quirks whatsoever. Only thing is resume from s3 and c1e dont work yet but they push it.

It has nothing to do with 790 vs. 890 it is just politics and time which board comes first. This is absolutely true ASUS has so many boards out it takes a bit longer..

Having no problems with mine though the CnQ seems to operate TOO much
slowing down net access,etc.but CnQ off flies.

Oese
05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
dont think so. try the tool TMonitor to see whats happening. The states change ULTRA fast ;)

http://www.hardware-factory.com/downloads/category/3-amd-phenom-ii-x6

But dunno if its the latest AGESA now in the 517 bios ;)

wolverine
05-23-2010, 01:11 PM
dont think so. try the tool TMonitor to see whats happening. The states change ULTRA fast ;)

http://www.hardware-factory.com/downloads/category/3-amd-phenom-ii-x6

But dunno if its the latest AGESA now in the 517 bios ;)

just tried it. 4300 all cores,only problem is I'm at 3400 in case the turbo kicks it too high and crashes me.

RaV[666]
05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
dont think so. try the tool TMonitor to see whats happening. The states change ULTRA fast

This tool, however very useful, does not correctly report actual clock, at least for me with my crappy foxconn bios.
For example when it reports full downclock in reality clocks are not down.
To get correct reading im using 3-4 programs at once then verified with a score of some sort of benchmark.
Just saying ,not to trust it completely ;-).
Really weird stuff happens to me, on some occasions ive seen 17.5x multi in aod (for a split second), Tmonitor showed at the same time different value, and score was of a 2000mhz PHII ;-).
Im beginning to think that turbo core works flawlessy only on 8xx chipsets.Which would make that more of a chipset solution than cpu only as early reports suggested.

demonkevy666
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
thuban wasn't even on old amd road maps, neither was turbo.

deneb was meant to last 2 years, this 6 core is a bonus of amd 45nm and a new low K dielectric layer. also quite a achivement by keeping in same tdp.

the real quirk was the older am2+ no boot with thuban cpu installed, not everything in life will work perfectly.

Oese
05-23-2010, 02:14 PM
;4402660']This tool, however very useful, does not correctly report actual clock, at least for me with my crappy foxconn bios.
For example when it reports full downclock in reality clocks are not down.
To get correct reading im using 3-4 programs at once then verified with a score of some sort of benchmark.
Just saying ,not to trust it completely ;-).
Really weird stuff happens to me, on some occasions ive seen 17.5x multi in aod (for a split second), Tmonitor showed at the same time different value, and score was of a 2000mhz PHII ;-).
Im beginning to think that turbo core works flawlessy only on 8xx chipsets.Which would make that more of a chipset solution than cpu only as early reports suggested.

i dont know whats happening though. fact is, under some condition, i only get 4ghz turbo when it shpould be 4125, tmonitor shows that, and then superpi is actually slower so i dunno what is wrong all other tools or tmonitor ;)

Titan7171
05-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Titan, not for nothing but sometimes overclocking requires a little time and effort. If you take a look at the thread i made apparently both m4a boards can nail a 4 gig OC with a little time and energy working around current issues. I say that's quite a tad better then just "backward compatibility" which the definition of that = It works not necessarily good but it works.

That said i'm tired and grumpy due to lack of sleep. Signing off for now.

Well some people are a bit incappable and some people need to know its officially supported through the bios:shrug: Im not one of them, but it still stands people might expect the support wether its Asus or any plethora of mobo companies with older mobos that might not even support the Thuban, people hear "backwards compatability" and they assume any cpu that fits in the similar socket will run perfect. Its the wrong thing to think but its inevitable and they will still find a reason to look for fault in the company instead of themselves, crying "no official support"

The guys who like tweaking and figuring it out for themselves wont complain but others will:yepp:

lol get some rest dont burn yourself out:)

Sodapopjones
05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
In the real world, the majority of people that buy highend, don't even use them for what they were ment for, they just toss them and buy the next newest and greatest board.

The only people with issues are those on forums, with unrealistic expectations, who honestly should know better, I'm just saying.

I haven't bought highend since my DFI NF4 Ultra Lan Party of Fail, and probably won't again unless I have too.

;)

vengance_01
05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Bingo so the M3A79-T is set to receive full X6 support, we just don't know when correct?