PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling Newcomer Need Help

prtuc2
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
So, I was exciting to go water cooling for the first time. However, seems like I did it in a very wrong way leaks all over the place lucky I was doing a test setup outside my case. First I listed my parts
EK Supreme HK (gold)
EK 250ml Reservoir
MCP 655 + EK rev 2 top
Swiftech MCR 320
1/2" ID X 3/4" OD tubing
Bitspower 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD true silver compression fitting (10)
Bitspower 45 degree rotary 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD (2)
Pt Nuke + distill water

This is what the possibilities I thought I did wrong.
1. cutting the tubing unevenly
2. when I connected everything together I realized I didn't put distill water in, so I disconnect one of the tubing and start filing. I didn't have a stopper at the other end and the water leaking out that end.
3. did I not tighten the compression fitting tight enough?

Any suggestion or videos on how to setup watercooling setup will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.:welcome:

ascl
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Either grab yourself a tube cutter, or cut the tubing when its on something that will stop it collapsing (a fitting works well but be careful not to damage the fitting). This will fix the first problem.

I can't answer the compression question, as I always have problems with them and mostly use barbs! But, if you are getting leaks, it sounds likely its not tight enough

prtuc2
05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I noticed my tubing is thick, hard to twist it around and cutting it with normal scissors.

ascl
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Yep, cutting it with normal scissors is hard. Use a blade, and cut it while its on something. (Or get tube cutters, they are pretty cheap)

masska
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
So, I was exciting to go water cooling for the first time. However, seems like I did it in a very wrong way leaks all over the place lucky I was doing a test setup outside my case. First I listed my parts
EK Supreme HK (gold)
EK 250ml Reservoir
MCP 655 + EK rev 2 top
Swiftech MCR 320
1/2" ID X 3/4" OD tubing
Bitspower 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD true silver compression fitting (10)
Bitspower 45 degree rotary 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD (2)
Pt Nuke + distill water

This is what the possibilities I thought I did wrong.
1. cutting the tubing unevenly
2. when I connected everything together I realized I didn't put distill water in, so I disconnect one of the tubing and start filing. I didn't have a stopper at the other end and the water leaking out that end.
3. did I not tighten the compression fitting tight enough?

Any suggestion or videos on how to setup watercooling setup will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.:welcome:

First I would recommend that you stop everything, and take a break ;)
You may have been eager and excited to get everything in there and going that you forgot to plan and check your build thoroughly.
There is a vast amount of information here from the basics to the more advanced practices and so I would suggest that you search through the WC section and read up. Planning/placement and actual execution are critical when doing a WC build. Its sounds like a lot of work but its actually quite easy once you know the basics. This will insure that you gain max performance from your build and most importantly no leaks.
If you get the opportunity, post some pics of your build so we can see what you've done. Your leaks maybe be caused by your cutting and bad fitting application, but you didn't mention where your leaks are coming from so its hard to say for sure. :up:

prtuc2
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I thought I said where the leak came out in part 2, the water coming out the other end that doesn't have a stopper on it.

ascl
05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh I missed that. You can't fill using part of the loop. You need to fill using a spare port on your res.

masska
05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
I thought I said where the leak came out in part 2, the water coming out the other end that doesn't have a stopper on it.

so the water was coming out from the other end of the tube that was open and had no stopper on it? Then its obvious isn't it ?

ascl
05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Watch this, should help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777JcqPVgLU&feature=related

(not mine, just some random thing I found)

prtuc2
05-19-2010, 03:23 AM
I was watching that video for a few times already, my reservoir is kind of odd the ports on the side only works with the stopper came with the reservoir. If you look at the video he did have a stopper on top of the compression fitting at the top, so I might have to buy a stopper to cap the top once the water is fill in. Thanks for suggestions and answering.

ascl
05-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Is this your res?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/RES2_rev1_01.jpg

If so, the fittings should be standard G1/4 fittings. Just remove the top stopper, and use a funnel to pour the water in. The bottom two fittings should be your inlet and outlet tubing.

prtuc2
05-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Yes, it is the reservoir I got. Wait a minute you are saying that the two ports on the side are suppose to be connected as inlet and outlet? I placed the two stopper on those two ports and connect the top and bottom instead.

Coldon
05-19-2010, 07:47 AM
also if you stress the 45 rotary too much, it will leak so check that as well...

it doesnt matter how you hook up the res as long as the bottom port is going straight to the pump. my advice would be to use the left and the right ports as the input/output and stopper the bottom, then fill your loop up from the top inlet.

Fatfool
05-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes, it is the reservoir I got. Wait a minute you are saying that the two ports on the side are suppose to be connected as inlet and outlet? I placed the two stopper on those two ports and connect the top and bottom instead.
:welcome: to the world of liquid cooling

Please hold. :rofl::ROTF:

Okay done. well, that would work as well though it'd be rather pointless and messy if you had to constantly remove the top tubes to fill the res. You also would never be able to fill the loop completely.

the rest can corrrect me if I'm wrong but I believe placing a barb on the top is only used when you're filling via a tube in the T line method. Basically, you have a tube to say... outside your case so you can fill the res easily.

ascl
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Yep exactly. The top port should be for filling only (well I guess you could technically use it as an inlet, but practically, filling only!), and one of the sides as inlet, and the bottom outlet to the pump.

prtuc2
05-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Since I read a lot of people have algae growing in their setup, if I use all the setup above without pt nuke or silver coil will I still encounter those problem?

ascl
05-21-2010, 02:24 PM
You need some kind of biocide. Either silver or PT nuke will work fine. I wouldn't run a loop with just water tho, it will grow something eventually.

Conumdrum
05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Since I read a lot of people have algae growing in their setup, if I use all the setup above without pt nuke or silver coil will I still encounter those problem?

?? Yes. You need biocide.