PDA

View Full Version : WOW my ATX connector melted ....

morphling1
08-20-2002, 03:15 AM
To begin, I'm running athlon xp 1700+ at 1950Mhz and 2.1V (my standard 24/7 setting not max.) ,and last week I noticed that my 5V rail dropped a lot to ~4.3-4.4V so I checked my atx connector, first thing I notice was how hot it was, and then saw that 3 pins were a little burned (from 3.3, 5, 12V ground), I was thinking my atx connector wasn't in good contact, so I decided to put my psu back in in run my comuter little less overclock with lower core voltage. So I was running at 1800 Mhz and 1.95V (my lowest after volt mod on Epox 8kha+) and the I noticed that if I pushed connector very hard into to mobo voltages got a little better ~4.7V, but after I while they would still drop to 4.45V even at that "low" speed and voltage. But yesterday I decided that I will switch back to my old 300W Macase psu from 350W. And the what happened, the atx connector from psu was literaly welded to the connector on motherboard, and after using some extreme force I manage to pull it off. Connector was melted and destroyed on those three pins and the same on motherboard, so I was in trouble.
Here are pics.
http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/burned%20atx1.jpg
http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/burned%20atx2.jpg

So now the rescue mission, after some delicate cutting where everything is packed with condensators around atx connector I manage to remove all pins with my solder iron,and little by little a removed that burned plastic connector too. And after I saw how thin and small those connectors were, I decided to make something a little more bullet proof to high electric current that runs through that pins. I took 1mm solid copper wire and cut 12mm pins from it, I placed those pins in holes from previous ones, and then solder all of them in, then I bend them a little so they were all aligned, and ready for my old 300W psu with good atx power connector.
Here is how it looks now:
http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/new%20atx.jpg

I put everything back in the case, and then plug in the atx power connector, which now went in very,very hard, but the contact was now great. So back to my original oc. of 1950@2.1V and to my surprise 5V rail was at 4.95V idle and 4.9V full load, this are the best 5V voltages, I ever saw with this psu, I actualy changed this psu because my volatges were so low when oc. So with my new connector, my cheap 300W psu could very well handle my power hungry athlon xp without any problem at all.

TheDude
08-20-2002, 03:42 AM
Good job! A lot of people would have tossed it! You turned it into a good thing!

hipro5
08-20-2002, 04:04 AM
What the heck happent there????...Look at this mess...Thank god you didn't burn anything...Feeewww...too close...!!!....

1831^
08-20-2002, 04:18 AM
That's very nice...

Couldn't do that my self my hands are to shacky !!!

Hardass
08-20-2002, 05:08 AM
That,s some awesome work there. Congrats on a great repair job.:toast:

majormav
08-20-2002, 06:55 AM
excellent work m8.... im interested to know about the resistors
cp 6
cp7
cp9

they look to have melted also .... same as on my epox or are they supposed to be like that... only noticed on a close examination of my board when it was playing up

ZhaoYun
08-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Whoa that was a close one. :eek:

morphling1
08-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, I pretty happy with the fix too, it working a lot better now then when it was new :D
majormav I got your pm. I have 8kha+ does that help, with the pic. you asked.

morphling1
08-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Is this area OK, cos' I don't know where those resistors are. Mark the area and I'll try and take better pic.
http://www2.arnes.si/~mlivak/test1.jpg

Malecky
08-20-2002, 12:49 PM
Nice goin there morph... nice fix inded, now its time for me to fix a KR7A with two dead PS2 ports anyone have any advice?

Well gonna try tonight or tommorow mornin so wish me luck, computers are gettin on my nerves lately...:(

I dont think I can take much more, its the finacing thats geting to me...broke again:o

majormav
08-20-2002, 05:14 PM
your pic is fine morphling 1 the resistor thats on my board that looks to have melted on mine is ok on yours ..... thanks very much for posting pic

Bulldog
08-20-2002, 09:44 PM
Quality repair,congrats on a job well thought out and well done:thumbsup:

sysfailur
08-20-2002, 09:58 PM
Heh, I would've kooked if that happened to me! :P

Malecky
08-20-2002, 11:26 PM
well I desolderd the two fuses that belong to the PS2 ports but no go, will have to email Abit for a possible fix.

How this died? Well its a long storry, but the board didnt die by itself it got a little help from me. When installing this fine piece of mobo I shorted a cap that blew up a line on the edge of the mobo, the mobo just overheated and died so that was it. I found the trace that was smoked and repaired it and wow the mobo works like a charm again, I sold it to my friend becouse until then I had already got a replacement board.

Now all of a sudden the ports start diing, first of the PS2 mouse port, then the keyboard port. If I move the PS2 connector round I still get the lights on the keyboard to flash but... still doesnt work, and to my knowledge it is now a chipset failure issue.

Damn I aint got no money to buy new Abit boards:mad: Where is the KT400 board from Abit gonna be in stores? And I mean the KX7 counterpart not some firewire usb3434343 thingi...just a plain non raid Abit mobo (or maybe just RAID).

DisposableHero
08-20-2002, 11:40 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAH THATS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEND TO ME

my voltages dropped like crazy too.. read my past thread on it..'

i just ended up putting arctic silver in the plastic connector area and it has kept the connection strong

Malecky
08-21-2002, 01:34 AM
I see Epox is doing extremely good job with their mobos:p

majormav
08-21-2002, 01:49 AM
malecky looks like your board did exactly like mine .... however it was the keyboard first . Replaced it with a USB one then mouse ,Replaced with USB then it would post when it felt like it so ive now got a selection of chips waiting for the kt400 chipset boards to become available here ..... so ive my main rig to use but to bench im on intel

Malecky
08-21-2002, 01:54 AM
Did you smoke your board? I mean overheat and so on? Coes looks like its realy diing, I'm getting a USB keyboard today but tell me quick is it worth it or is it gonna die soon anyhow? So...I gotta knowm a USB kesboard is 50$ damn!

majormav
08-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Malecky
Did you smoke your board? I mean overheat and so on? Coes looks like its realy diing, I'm getting a USB keyboard today but tell me quick is it worth it or is it gonna die soon anyhow? So...I gotta knowm a USB kesboard is 50$ damn! overheat nope dont ever remember seeing mb temp above 28 (case side was never on ) chip absolute highest was something like 20 when i went for a crazy o/c but it still ran after that so heat was never a problem .i would try get it returned if you could with faults .....however you might be lucky and it might live for ages mine lasted about 2 weeks or so before it bacame too flakey for me to be even bothered with it ....... like now i dont know wether it still works or not as its stripped out of case ..last time i tried it was ok one minute then a restart no go no post probe nothing apart from the m/b led ........ so answer is up to you m8 but i would spend money on a new m/b instead

Mentaly
08-21-2002, 12:42 PM
Hi all

Strange I had the exact same experience with a 8KHA+,
I just used a soldersucker to remove the old connector.

Menty