PDA

View Full Version : AOD & Supermicro

cypher_botox
05-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Need a new rig. Wanted to buy a DP system, cause use lots of AutoCAD and 3ds Max. Actual system is overclocked via AOD. Want to use it with the new rig, too. My girlfreind would kill me; if a second rig moves in, she wents out she told me.

But is AOD working on serverboards? Anyone experience?

Thanks

Cypher

Particle
05-11-2010, 05:39 AM
In my experience, no, it doesn't work. The problem was when there were > 4 cores in a system AOD would crash on startup even if the chipset was likely capable (SR5600). The newest version of AOD shows 8 spots for CPU graphs. I don't know if it dynamically scales now or if it'll crash after 8 cores are available in a system.

Even if I limited my 12-core system to 4 cores, the program still just couldn't do anything on the SR5690 chipset I had in my Supermicro board.

demonkevy666
05-11-2010, 07:02 AM
In my experience, no, it doesn't work. The problem was when there were > 4 cores in a system AOD would crash on startup even if the chipset was likely capable (SR5600). The newest version of AOD shows 8 spots for CPU graphs. I don't know if it dynamically scales now or if it'll crash after 8 cores are available in a system.

Even if I limited my 12-core system to 4 cores, the program still just couldn't do anything on the SR5690 chipset I had in my Supermicro board.

I want to know why AOD now has 8 cpu spots at all ?

Smartidiot89
05-11-2010, 07:09 AM
I think AMD just added it for later use (Bulldozer) once it's released sometime in 2011.

cypher_botox
05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Hm, that's poor. What a pitty ... :( ... or as we say in german: Pech gehabt

Another possibility known to man to overclock a "server"-system?

cypher_botox
05-11-2010, 08:54 AM

6 Cores for Thuban, the rest like Samrtidiot89 wrote. This morning I read an article I think here at xtremesystems that contained pictures of some BIOS data. DDR3-2000 support for AM3 and 8 cores plus several other information.

Particle
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
My guess would be that six slots would look tacky. Eight were probably chosen purely for aesthetic reasons. The last two graphs may not even be functional if you had a CPU that did have eight cores at this point. It would not surprise me.

cypher_botox
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
on topic:
So, putting all things together, "we" can say, that AOD is designed around RD700 and actually RD800 chipsets. SR56x0 maybe related to those but so not belong to the same family. So AOD is not working on AMDs server chipsets or has at least no affect on them.

off topic:
I suspect the possibilty of the 8 core desktop bulldozer could be finally true. But thats just guessing ...

Particle
05-11-2010, 01:17 PM
SR5600 chipsets are build of the same cloth as the 800-series chipsets. They may lack the extra features that are required for AOD to function or server BIOSes may just not implement them even if they're in there. Server board BIOSes are generally very close to reference BIOSes and rarely offer extra features.

To put it simply: No. AOD does not seem to work with SR5600.

cypher_botox
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
That's what wanted to say with my "final words" :)

JF-AMD
05-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Opteron platforms are not designed to be overclocked. Overclocking is a consumer activity. When you overclock, there is always the chance that 1+1=3. Not a big deal for games, but if you are building big CAD files, designing chips, or writing software, those activities depend on the integrity of the results.

Even for workstations it is an issue. If a company is paying a CAD designer or illustrator big money, they want results. They don't want them having to re-do work because the overclocked system crashed unexpectedly and corrupted the file. Any gain from overclocking can be swept away quickly.

Don't expect to see overclocking on Opteron, Phenom is a better choice as it supports that.