PDA

View Full Version : 4870 questions

bigdaddykane
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a HIS IceQ4+ RADEON HD 4870 1gb card. I am getting parts to water cool my system and wanted to know if this is a card that can be cooled or if it is even worth cooling, i tried to look up info put not sure if it is a reference card. And if so whats a good full block? And one more question... sry... i have a am3 720 gonna cool with a 3x120 rad and then put a 120 then go to the gpu, will that work? Or do i need to put a 2x120?

Sage88
05-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I have two of these cards in crossfire, cooled by EK FC blocks. I think it was worth doing: big drop in temps and noise. But they are a little old now. Maybe that ~100 bucks could be better spend on upgrading the card?

I am pretty sure it is a reference design card. I just grabbed the EK 4870 block. Just for your reference, I got all the gear in the sig running on one loop and I get ~50c on the GPU's and just break ~60 on the CPU, running furmark and P95 simultaneously. Hope that helps

washu9
05-05-2010, 07:25 PM
4870 should still be ok for average users.
Really depends on the size/resolution of your monitor.

But I'd agree that it's a bit too old to consider buying a full cover waterblock for it. The extra bit of speed you got from the overclock would not worth the extra money on the waterblock.

Can probably buy a new (better) card from the money you saved up for the waterblock + selling the old one.

bigdaddykane
05-05-2010, 07:46 PM
ok thanks guys. I'll just save that money for later improvements!