PDA

View Full Version : From your experience which TV has better IQ, Samsung or Sony?

Blacky
05-02-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm looking to buy a new TV but I can't decide which one to get, I'm between Sony Bravia XBR9 and Samsung LED TV, which ones provides better image quality while playing blu-ray and gaming console (PS3)? any feedback is appreciated!

STEvil
05-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Samsung and Sony use the same panels. Samsung manufactures the base panel then they throw their respective pretty looking bezels on there for you, basically.

Having a Samsung series 6 46, A Toshiba Regza 46 (XV648), and a Sony 46 all next to each other.. I went with the Toshiba. If you plan to do any gaming on them I would highly suggest testing the Sony and the Samsung if you prefer them. The Toshiba display I have does very well in that regard but I have not tested a Samsung 6 series for display latency. I have seen a sony 40" 10-bit panel which did quite well though.

Soulburner
05-02-2010, 05:36 AM
It's a toss up between those two, but if you want the best IQ get a Panasonic Plasma and leave the LCD TV's at the store to be gawked at by the uninformed :cool:

aztec
05-02-2010, 06:43 AM
It's a toss up between those two, but if you want the best IQ get a Panasonic Plasma and leave the LCD TV's at the store to be gawked at by the uninformed :cool:

Exactly. LED's IQ are generally inferior to the Panasonics, except for a few specific models. Check out www.displaymate.com for some unbiased reviews.

Blacky
05-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Samsung and Sony use the same panels. Samsung manufactures the base panel then they throw their respective pretty looking bezels on there for you, basically.

Having a Samsung series 6 46, A Toshiba Regza 46 (XV648), and a Sony 46 all next to each other.. I went with the Toshiba. If you plan to do any gaming on them I would highly suggest testing the Sony and the Samsung if you prefer them. The Toshiba display I have does very well in that regard but I have not tested a Samsung 6 series for display latency. I have seen a sony 40" 10-bit panel which did quite well though.

I ask because I went to X friend house that had a samsung 40" 120hz and the image quality on MW2 looked x20 better compared to my Y friend XBR9 240hz, it even appeared like if PS3 had Anti-Aliasing on which is impossible, I was like WTH :confused:

Though aren't those quite expensive :/ ? and the blu-ray movies looks more or equal fluid as 240hz??

[XC] Synthetickiller
05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I've had very good luck with my (now) old Samsung 40" 6series, which isn't LED.

Most Samsung LCDs (especially higher end models) looks great. :up:

As for 240hz, I've never bothered to look into it. I have that 120hz BS (not true 120hz) and I simply feel drunk.

And why not a panasonic plasma? I own an older one and its colors are better than my samsung. Plasma is epic. :up:

Frag Maniac
05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Sony, but some of their latest models not so good from what I hear. If you want the best all around for IQ, motion processing, and low input lag gaming, go with one of the IPS panel Panasonics. Their 37" and up G series LCDs have great motion processing, which helps a lot in sports and action movies. IMO Panasonic's IQ is in between Sony's and Samsung's, leaning a bit more toward Sony's.

Sony does have a model or two now that uses Sharp's ASV panel though, which some say has low input lag. I've yet to see that verified though. There is info about such things reportedly daily on the AVS forum in a thread about input lag. It's been a while since I checked back in, so I don't know if anyone's lag tested an ASV Sony yet. Last I checked the thread author frito, whom knows a LOT of stuff about input lag, was skeptical whether even the ASV Sony's would be very low in lag.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

zanzabar
05-02-2010, 12:37 PM
+1 i just got a panasonic 32" with a aIPS screen and it looks amazeing for an lcd, it matches the colors or my crt on one of its good days (its old so it has problems sometimes), it dosnt get any tearing, and for blue ray 1080p24 playback it looks great, i like its 2:3 pull down better than the 1:5 or 1:10 that 120hz or 240hz lcds use. i have friends who have the $2k+ samsung, sharp, and sony led and lcd and i know that leds dont make a difference on small tvs like mine and motion looks better on smaller but even the colors look better on the aIPS pannel. so i would get a panasonic IPS unless u go for 50"+ then i would get a mitsu rear projection as they have the best of everything and support 3d for really cheap. plasma is another option but im not a fan since they only make 47"+ now or atleast the 47 and 42 are the same price for 1080p units so i dont see 42" being arround much longer and then u are in mitsu rear projection territory.

and i hate lcds in general so if i like an lcd tv its saying something.

Frag Maniac
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
...and i hate lcds in general so if i like an lcd tv its saying something.Yeah, know what you mean there, been holding off a LONG time waiting for LCD tech to get better, but the Panny TC-L37G1 (2009) I've seen in a store is VERY tempting. I fear I may have waited too long though. Best price I've seen is $720 with free shipping, but now they're up to around $795 and getting hard to find.

In 2010 models you have to go over $1000 for one of their LED models if you want 120Hz and motion processing in a 37". Their 2010 42" non LED U25 model can be had at a great price already ($709 at Amazon), but I hadn't planned on going that big for something that's going to double as a monitor. Not sure my seating arrangement will allow far enough viewing for desktop/gaming use.

STEvil
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I ask because I went to X friend house that had a samsung 40" 120hz and the image quality on MW2 looked x20 better compared to my Y friend XBR9 240hz, it even appeared like if PS3 had Anti-Aliasing on which is impossible, I was like WTH :confused:

Though aren't those quite expensive :/ ? and the blu-ray movies looks more or equal fluid as 240hz??

Could be the difference in video output.

On my Toshiba if I leave overscan disabled in the video drivers then the image is undersized and blurry.

Blacky
05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Could be the difference in video output.

On my Toshiba if I leave overscan disabled in the video drivers then the image is undersized and blurry.

By any chance do you know if XBR9 has a similar feature?

Soulburner
05-02-2010, 09:07 PM
He could have had sharpening cranked up. Probably has the store's eye-bleed brightness and contrast settings still, too.

Blacky
05-02-2010, 09:54 PM
He could have had sharpening cranked up. Probably has the store's eye-bleed brightness and contrast settings still, too.

After I came from my friend house (Samsung guy) that left me with my jaw dropped how good the ps3 looked on his TV. I went immediately to my other friend house (XBR9 guy) we cranked up the settings and looked like crap compared to my other friend TV :shrug: sad thing is that the samsung of my friend is inferior to XBR9 yet looked better...was thinking grabbing samsung LED after seen my samsung friend IQ...maybe is a feature the TV has for console games? I still cannot believe how good MW2 looked on that TV

zanzabar
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
there is game mode but it helps latency not IQ (or atleast not IQ for console games it dose make IQ better for the PC as it needs no image processing). i personally dont like pva/mva panels and would look for an IPS especially for gaming or get a mitsu dlp they are amazing and cheap with the 60" at $1200

Soulburner
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
After I came from my friend house (Samsung guy) that left me with my jaw dropped how good the ps3 looked on his TV. I went immediately to my other friend house (XBR9 guy) we cranked up the settings and looked like crap compared to my other friend TV :shrug: sad thing is that the samsung of my friend is inferior to XBR9 yet looked better...was thinking grabbing samsung LED after seen my samsung friend IQ...maybe is a feature the TV has for console games? I still cannot believe how good MW2 looked on that TV
Same HDMI out at 1080P on both systems? Did it go through a different receiver, and was it doing anything to the picture? It's really hard to say anything about the image without having them both side by side, which is probably not a possibility.

there is game mode but it helps latency not IQ (or atleast not IQ for console games it dose make IQ better for the PC as it needs no image processing). i personally dont like pva/mva panels and would look for an IPS especially for gaming or get a mitsu dlp they are amazing and cheap with the 60" at $1200
Game modes generally bypass some internal processing that sacrifices color (you wouldn't edit photos like this) and reduces input lag.

The 60" Mitsu is a good TV - but I have one reservation. It doesn't have the Dynamic Iris (Dark Detailer they call it) of the other sets. Note the 7xx series vs the 8xx series model names. It actually has an iris, sort of like a shutter on a camera lens, that can close down and limit the light output from the bulb and give better blacks. Its sort of a way to do dynamic contrast, but better since it doesn't modify the image any. They used to call these TV's "Diamond" series but they don't anymore.

The DLPs are great money for the size, with the fastest image (its a light projection after all) and 3D capability, plus light weight and lower power. But the viewing angles off to the side is bad so if this will be used by yourself only, it's not a big deal. But not the best for having a half dozen guys over for a football game, scattered around the room (depending on position of course).

STEvil
05-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Cranked up? Dont want to do that, turn them down usually if anything.

Blacky
05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Same HDMI out at 1080P on both systems? Did it go through a different receiver, and was it doing anything to the picture? It's really hard to say anything about the image without having them both side by side, which is probably not a possibility.

Does that has to do with cheap HDMI cables vs expensive ones? to see if I understood the question.

Cranked up? Dont want to do that, turn them down usually if anything.

I though by increasing the sharpness it would look better since looks the picture looks more detailed :shrug:

Again thanks for the replies /bow

zanzabar
05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
increasing sharpness and contrast help and then affter u reach the best point they make things worse, sharpness especially since its like a focus setting and not really sharpness. also i found that maxing the brightness and them having low back light works alot better than balancing them like they come on the presets if u dont have direct light on the tv

and what about sharp, they make nice tvs still

MJR
05-03-2010, 09:31 PM

The Samsungs have great anti-juddering technology. That's probably why you got the anti-aliasing look on the ps3. I have a 6 series samsung and I love it, but The sony's at the sony style store look pretty awesome, too. I was not all that impressed with my tv until I tweaked the settings for my room/situation.

Honestly, Plasmas are great for dark rooms, but put it in bright room (sunlight) with the anti glade LCDs and there is no comparison. If you have a cave to watch movies/game in and want to burn 4x as much electricity, go with a plasma. Otherwise, stick with the LCDs.

Blacky
05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
The Samsungs have great anti-juddering technology. That's probably why you got the anti-aliasing look on the ps3. I have a 6 series samsung and I love it, but The sony's at the sony style store look pretty awesome, too. I was not all that impressed with my tv until I tweaked the settings for my room/situation.

Honestly, Plasmas are great for dark rooms, but put it in bright room (sunlight) with the anti glade LCDs and there is no comparison. If you have a cave to watch movies/game in and want to burn 4x as much electricity, go with a plasma. Otherwise, stick with the LCDs.

maybe this is the reason why!!

Soulburner
05-04-2010, 04:29 AM
Now let's be realistic. They don't use 4x the electricity. You'd be looking at 1.5x-2.0x range, depending on size.

I'm not sure about other makes, but the Panasonic Plasma sets have an anti-glare coating of some kind. I've seen them in a bright office building (all windows) and they looked fine. You should keep the light off them though. Most LCDs nowadays are just as bad with glare because of their glossy screen.