PDA

View Full Version : How bout an aquarium chiller?

fireandsmoke
08-19-2002, 06:04 PM
:comp10:
As I'm pondering over possible cooling systems would it work if you ran cooling blocks to cpu, nb, gpu and used like 1 or 2 stealth fans for air movement, and ran water pump lines to a remote aquarium water chiller? No radiators, noisy fans...
And I'm not talking about any chillers... There's a new one that's 8" x 6" x 8.4" it's refrigerant free, freestanding, draws 115w, 1 amp, and will cool 20 gallons of water 20F degrees, oh and only 39dbA...
I'd guess it'd keep a toasty system down to about 20F degrees... would it work?? Would condensation occur?
Thanks
Jon

Leo
08-19-2002, 06:24 PM
Question is, will it be able to handle the heat load of a CPU? I'm doubting that aquarium chiller will keep the water that far below ambient with a CPU heating the water up. If you do get below ambient temperatures though, expect condensation.

Also 20F water won't mean a 20F CPU temperature.

fireandsmoke
08-19-2002, 06:34 PM
Leo,
Well I guess I was just thinking that if water cooling is so great, and I think it is, wouldn't it be a little better just 10 degrees cooler? I know there are units that will freeze the cpu, but this way just seems kinda simple and QUIET. I just hear about water sys that are limited at 50C temps, maybe this would get that last 100mhz????? check it out. www.fritzpet.com/chillermicro.html

Leo
08-19-2002, 06:51 PM
Well, that is true, just there are easier ways to shave off those last few degrees and get those last MHz. You don't absolutely need screamer fans on a radiator setup or anything. Back when I used my water setup I was running Panaflo H1As @ 7v with a 226w pelt (high heat load). They weren't even audible from more than three feet away and the performance was nice.

I guess it all depends on how much that chiller costs. If it's into three digits, I'd look towards a more standard setup or alternative routes.

Bulldog
08-20-2002, 10:10 PM
IMO you would need their largest model and even then it does not seem to have what it would take to cool your cpu...
They had a testimonal that it lowered a fish tank in a room at 92 degrees to 82 degrees....and theirs no hot cpu, gpu etc adding to rooms ambient temp either...plus their largest weighs 100lbs !!!

Teclima RA2000
Supply - V.230 - 50 Hz
Electric Power - 860 W
Dimensions - 20.75x18x20.5(h) inches
Weight - 99.2 lbs
Digital Thermostat and Thermometer - Yes
Ecological Cooling - R 134 a
Minimum Required Flow - 264.25 gph
Teclima CA2000
Supply - V.230 - 50 Hz
Electric Power - 860 W
Dimensions - 20.75x18x20.5(h) inches
Weight - 99.2 lbs
Digital Thermostat and Thermometer - Yes
Ecological Cooling - R 134 a
Minimum Required Flow - 264.25 gph

If the pump to your chiller is located in the sump, make sure the sump does not get low or go dry. If it does you will freeze the unit.

*1 year Fritz Warranty/Service on all models

Many items of aquarium equipment actively heat the system’s water. If your tank uses a large number of features such as pumps, and/or extensive fluorescent or metal halide (HQI) lighting, it is strongly recommended that you use the next model up from that shown in the above charts.

Never try to operate the cooler on a larger aquarium or attempt to reach a lower temperature than specified. If units are used inappropriately in this way, they will not function properly and their warranty will be invalidated.

Diagram for Teclima RA2000/CA2000
The diagram shown above has been drawn up allowing for an ambient temperature of 86°F with an aquarium made of normal glass.
If you have an aquarium made of double glazed glass or an insulated tank, you will need to multiply the required capacity by 0.5 and then carry on as normal using the relevant diagram.

fireandsmoke
08-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Bulldog,
Well as an example I'm a hobbyist in aquariums too, and yes I have one of those 1/2 hp chillers. My aquarium has over 2000watts of metal halide lighting and 2 total hp of water pumps in contact with the water. The little tiny chiller will lower the temp of a 32 gal tank by 10 degrees. I assure you the little tiny one will keep 12 ounces of water in a cooling system and another 20 or 30 ounces of water inside the unit a nice frosty 8C or less. Unless the cpu, gpu and nb crank up 1000w of thermal energy...
;-)
F&S

cjoe
04-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Did you finally try that aquarium chiller?

I was thinking the same thing earlier and no one else seemed to think it was feasible. I looked at the Teclima Micro and Via Aqua Model CC25. Seems like an elegant solution at a moderately high cost ($300-$400).

I was wondering if you had any success.

CJoe

Çhrist0ph
04-13-2004, 06:19 PM
$300-$400 !

just build wa waterchiller for less than ~$150

cjoe
04-13-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm looking for a clean professional looking system. I don't have the time or expertise to build a nice one. I don't want a kludged up looking one. I've read/reviewed several setups; unfortunately, most setups are ugly and large.

Can you build me a compact good looking setup for $150?

cjoe

Çhrist0ph
04-13-2004, 07:16 PM
look at Gary's chillers in the chilled section. His chillers look like window ac units, quite clean and compact. i think he sells them..not sure tho.

cjoe
04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Like I've said, I've seen several of the chillers on this forum and they are quite large. The Teclima Micro is 8"x 6"x 8" in size. This is what I call compact. Check out this site:

http://bioconlabs.com/chillers.html

I think that Gary has done a very professional looking job on the window sized AC system; however, I want something that is compact and doesn't require change to my house.

cjoe.

Çhrist0ph
04-13-2004, 08:25 PM
Im betting those would do very poorly with a cpu/gpu/nb/etc. heatload.

DrunkMonkey
04-14-2004, 12:21 PM
http://bioconlabs.com/chillers.html - !!!

If you want to spend that much just get one of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-194.html?id=eCvntNNW

Çhrist0ph
04-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by DrunkMonkey
http://bioconlabs.com/chillers.html - !!!

If you want to spend that much just get one of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cas-194.html?id=eCvntNNW

AMEN!

a much wiser choice...

=[PULSAR]=
04-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Ive been looking at this for a while cools down to 0C.

$360

http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=96

But FireandSmoke I see you point you want something that fits a nicely in your case. I have a 18" cube and I'm running out of space fast. I may try this chiller but hopefully I can find it a little cheaper.

I emailed the manufacturer on how low you can set the temp to on the display and wether or not you can set it up to run constantly.

I'm reading that it decipates 114W, now this chiller would be ok if you were running stock speeds or a little out of spec, but were in this forum so I imagine you want the CPU to fly:p: What I would suggest is to hook your water cooling setup thru a nice dual 120mm fan rad and then have it pour into the chiller so that way the radiators are already dissipating a good amount of thermal load and then the chiller can lower the water temps even more:toast:

In the end Peltier and this setup will run almost the same.

Peltier:
Water Cooling Kit (A must in order to operate Peltier)
Peltier Plate ($40)
Auxilary PSU ($150)

Water Cooling Kit (Need radiators in order to further lower temp)
Water Chiller ($300-400)

As much as I know about the differences already I would go with the Water Chiller:thumbsup:

I'll post back when I hear something from the manufacturer

charlie
04-22-2004, 07:22 AM
the teclima will not work, not EVEN close...in fact, it would take one of the larger models to work, and these units rely on high flow rates to work, would take a lot of mod to work well! Certainly cheaper to buy Prom/Vapo

C

=[PULSAR]=
04-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Yep...just got email back from manufacturer lowest set temp possible is 38F kind of dissappointing:( and they said that will make it run all the time and they dont recommended it because the fan will burnout and the cooling chip will fry...I guess we have to find another way:rolleyes:

thezfunk
03-16-2005, 10:42 PM
chiller (http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=96)

I am looking at this one. Emailed them and received all the information that I require. With a 150watt heat load it maintains a coolant temp of 0C with the compressor running 50-70% of the time. It has a one year warranty. I think I am going to give it a try. I don't want sub ambient so I think this will be more than enough for what I plan on doing.

MaxxxRacer
03-16-2005, 11:00 PM
guys... just go to ebay and buy a dehumidifier. you can get one for less than 100 dollars. and it will get your water temps well into the negatives. around -15 to -20C. You just need to modify the heat exchanger buy bending the copper tubes and putting them into a cotainer like a igloo gatorade container.. just a big insulating box that will fit it and that you can put fittings into.

a heck of alot cheaper than a waterchiller and will cool it better.

saratoga
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
MaxxxRacer is right. This aquarium units are complete crap for what we do. They're too weak, too expensive to be useful. Not when many times more powerful units can be assembled for a fraction of the price.