PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Victim Of The Gway XHD3000 Monitor Curse :(

Sarg
04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Well as the Title states I to have been hit by the Gateway Monitor Curse. I had to go dig out an old Sharp 19" Wide Screen HDTV, just so I can get on here and as well as do some research. I have been looking around for a new 30" monitor, I even went to the Micro Center in my area to what I can find. I have about $1200.00 to spend on a monitor & I might be able to push it an extra $200.00 maybe? But I was looking at the LG W3000H-Bn (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005115) & the HP EZ320A8#ABA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176071) the LG has the higher Contrast 3000:1 and seems to be the better monitor.

I also came across This Samsung SyncMaster 305T 30" (http://www.warehousedeals.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-305T-30inch-LCD-Monitor/M/B000NB7S0G.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle)

But I have also been Eyeing the Dell 3008WFP But the price went back up from when I saw it a few weeks ago. But while I was at Micro Center I was talking with one of the Sales reps who by chance Also just built a new Rig, suggested that I look in to the Samsung 32" HDTV & that it has 50000:1 contrast Ratio and that it would give a much better picture.
I really hoped that I would not fall prey to the Gateway Curse as I have had it for about 15 months now & I bought it cause when it worked the Picture was Beautiful & all options for different inputs, I was going to use it with the new build I'm getting ready to work on. And hook up my Xbox 360 to it & I was evening thinking of getting a another Cable box to use it to watch TV & DVDs, But that is no longer an option and that just makes me want to Scream at Gateway they are just a load of Cow Turd I will never Ever Buy anything from them again. Okay sorry for the rant, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sarg.

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Does buying a refurb bother you?

I just ordered a 30" NEC and it is incredible. Worth every penny. Considering its a $2,200 monitor for $999, its a good deal. It looks brand new and if you look at their refurb standards, I wouldn't be worried about getting a substandard product.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=67eb65f5-f718-4c87-9caf-8d32b04f4fea#

Sarg
04-29-2010, 11:01 AM
No it does not, As long I can get some form of Warranty with it, But I have heard that NEC is not the best when it comes to Gaming for a monitor.
And yeah I know NEC is up there in price. But I do know from the past they have a quality product.

Sarg

Sarg
04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Any other Suggestions & or Ideas ?

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
No it does not, As long I can get some form of Warranty with it, But I have heard that NEC is not the best when it comes to Gaming for a monitor.
And yeah I know NEC is up there in price. But I do know from the past they have a quality product.

Sarg

I don't follow, does not what? :shurg:

The warranty is 1 year b/c its refurbished. I believe that's the same as Dell's warranty, but don't quote me on that.

I just played some L4D2 and is looks fine to me. No lag from what I can tell.

Edit: lol, doesn't not bug you that it's a refurb. It's too late for me!

Sarg
04-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Correct, I would Buy a Refurb as long as it's worth the money and considering what you have said, it sounds like a good deal but I was wondering if you had the option to get an extended Warranty?

Sarg

CokeCanNinja
04-30-2010, 08:33 AM
This is a good monitor: http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/B001LYSX12/?tag=bpcweb-20

It's 24 inch, widescreen, built in speakers, built in 1.3 MP webcam, and a 20000:1 contrast ratio.

Sarg
04-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Thank you for the info, and it is Very inexpensive, as far as the built in Speakers and web cam, those are not a priority but I guess it they could stay disconnected. But Amazon is out of stock, on those right now, but I will check around.

Sarg

slim142
04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
If I can remember correctly, the NEC is the best 30" monitor out there. Even better than the 3007 and 3008

CokeCanNinja
04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Thank you for the info, and it is Very inexpensive, as far as the built in Speakers and web cam, those are not a priority but I guess it they could stay disconnected. But Amazon is out of stock, on those right now, but I will check around.

Sarg

Your welcome. Your right about the price, even a poor high school student like me could afford one. The speakers are OK for watching youtube videos, and games that don't support surround sound, but for most games I would use better speakers.

Sarg
04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Really now, I guess the popularity of the 3007 & 3008 is why so many get them and not quality?

If I can remember correctly, the NEC is the best 30" monitor out there. Even better than the 3007 and 3008

slim142
05-01-2010, 05:10 AM
dont get me wrong

the 3007 HC panel is awesome!. Ive heard so many positive comments on the NEC over th dell screens that, I concluded the NEC was a better choice.

However, lets keep in mind there is a $1000 difference which might not attract everybody. Is it worth the extra quality? well, thats a personal choice.

Sarg
05-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I know what you mean and that is true it's a personal choice, And I personally am not ready to Dump 2k + on a monitor, well unless I hit the lotto :) and at this time NEC is showing that monitor as being out of stock & I have not found anyone else that has them Refurbished & at that price.

A check that I was waiting on clearing the bank took 1 day to long, so I now have to rethink what I want to do. Even the Refurb Samsung 305t from Techforless is no longer available. So I can either wait an extra month and save up for a Dell or get the LG or HP from newegg. Well the Samsung 305t is available from Amazon for 1200.00 +, but it's used & I'm a bit Leary on that much $$$ for a used item.

dont get me wrong

the 3007 HC panel is awesome!. Ive heard so many positive comments on the NEC over th dell screens that, I concluded the NEC was a better choice.

However, lets keep in mind there is a $1000 difference which might not attract everybody. Is it worth the extra quality? well, thats a personal choice.

slim142
05-01-2010, 11:19 AM
If you had to go with other choices, I would prob go for LG. I have a Samsung 21.5 and I hate the quality. I know is something completely different when we compare 30s with 21.5s but even my previous Viewsonic had better quality. Samsung completely dissapointed me.

Sarg
05-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Really now, could it be that you got a Lemon so to speak? I ask that because I have heard people boasting about the samsung monitors be it in person or here and other reviews that I have come across. But that also leads me to wonder why samsung Stopped making the 305t seeing how popular it was and or is with many people, that finding one that is in good Refub condition is impossible. And the used ones that I found on Amazon, they want 1200.00 + and that is a lot for a used monitor even if it is 30".

If you had to go with other choices, I would prob go for LG. I have a Samsung 21.5 and I hate the quality. I know is something completely different when we compare 30s with 21.5s but even my previous Viewsonic had better quality. Samsung completely dissapointed me.

slim142
05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe it is and the reason why I got it for so cheap. I got it for $140 brand new when price was $220 new. Maybe this series 2243SWX uses retarded TN panels or maybe mines is just a really low quality one, but I hate how colors feel like they fade out and REALLY POOR viewing angle HoRRIBLE I should say.

But for now I can live with it til I can afford either a 30" or a really good 120Hz like that 24" Acer which tempts me a lot.

Sarg
05-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I know what you mean, been there and done that, oh wait I'm there now with the POS I have now, but ya know i never thought to look at the acer monitors to see what they have to offer. I will have look see.

Maybe it is and the reason why I got it for so cheap. I got it for $140 brand new when price was $220 new. Maybe this series 2243SWX uses retarded TN panels or maybe mines is just a really low quality one, but I hate how colors feel like they fade out and REALLY POOR viewing angle HoRRIBLE I should say.

But for now I can live with it til I can afford either a 30" or a really good 120Hz like that 24" Acer which tempts me a lot.

slim142
05-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Me either, but I have an Acer in my other PC and its not bad. Makes me think if their 120Hz series are above average.

Sarg
05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
that is possible have you done any reasearch in that ?

Me either, but I have an Acer in my other PC and its not bad. Makes me think if their 120Hz series are above average.

slim142
05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Nope, but from the very few reviews I checked, they seemed to be favorable.

Sarg
05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I did a bit of looking around and Acer only makes up to 27" monitors, I know it's only 3" But I ended up Finding a Refurb Samsung 305t 30" from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) and ordered it yesterday So as soon as I get it I will post back with an update on it. But what is kind of messed up is that it takes them 2 days to ship something out, that they have in stock at their location.

Nope, but from the very few reviews I checked, they seemed to be favorable.

slim142
05-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Well the only Acer model Im interested is in the 120Hz 24". I wouldnt really consider them for anything else.

Also, a quick research I did today led to find out that ASUS also makes their own panels. I dont know how true it is, but a review website mentioned this as well as a random person in the ASUS forums.

If I get to confirm ASUS makes their own panels, I will be debating between ASUS and LG for my next screen. However, Im pretty sure LG has more time manufacturing panels which is something to keep in mind.

Sarg
05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Ah okay, and yes your right, even though Asus makes good MoBo's, LG would be the better choice for a monitor IMO. But I know I took a chance here in what I just bought but at least I saved a bit of $$$ & I just will pray that all goes well.

I would check that out, as I just spent the past few hours making phone calls, as I really hate to trash this gateway right off the bat, and one place that I got a hold of in CA, told me the the panel is actually made by Samsung but assembled by Gateway and they can't get the parts to repair it. Because of the way the panel is made, yet on the other hand I found a few places that say that it can be fixed, so I'm still making calls for now.

Well the only Acer model Im interested is in the 120Hz 24". I wouldnt really consider them for anything else.

Also, a quick research I did today led to find out that ASUS also makes their own panels. I dont know how true it is, but a review website mentioned this as well as a random person in the ASUS forums.

If I get to confirm ASUS makes their own panels, I will be debating between ASUS and LG for my next screen. However, Im pretty sure LG has more time manufacturing panels which is something to keep in mind.

slim142
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Let me know how that Samsung panels ends up like.

Donnie27
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Ah okay, and yes your right, even though Asus makes good MoBo's, LG would be the better choice for a monitor IMO. But I know I took a chance here in what I just bought but at least I saved a bit of $$$ & I just will pray that all goes well.

I would check that out, as I just spent the past few hours making phone calls, as I really hate to trash this gateway right off the bat, and one place that I got a hold of in CA, told me the the panel is actually made by Samsung but assembled by Gateway and they can't get the parts to repair it. Because of the way the panel is made, yet on the other hand I found a few places that say that it can be fixed, so I'm still making calls for now.

I like that 30" model but ended up with the 24" model and now I love it. At first I was ready to bad mouth it and give it a 1 out of 5 stars. I used their set up disc and now know that I'd have to spend a great deal of money to beat it. It kills my 22" LCD running in tandem with it. Plus at only 1080P and or 1900 by 1080 my video card doesn't have to run higher. Now I'd give it 4.5 starts in General and 5 stars on the price. I don't have any critical use for it. That's done with a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT on another computer.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2494SW-Black-LCD-Monitor/dp/B002N8A1HO/ref=dp_cp_ob_pc_title_1

It feels like they made a typo on the price. My Buddie with the higher end HM model went back and bought one for the heck of it! Crap loads folks are running 2 or 3 of these.

Sarg
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
looks like a nice monitor, and having two side by side would give a nice gaming expierence with the extra realestate :) I just need more room to work with. Good luck with it & enjoy the gaming with it.

I'm waiting on UPS now to deliver the monitor. They even called me yesterday to tell me and to make sure i'm here to sign for it.

I like that 30" model but ended up with the 24" model and now I love it. At first I was ready to bad mouth it and give it a 1 out of 5 stars. I used their set up disc and now know that I'd have to spend a great deal of money to beat it. It kills my 22" LCD running in tandem with it. Plus at only 1080P and or 1900 by 1200 (might be 1050) my video card doesn't have to run higher. Now I'd give 4.5 starts in General and 5 stars on the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2494SW-Black-LCD-Monitor/dp/B002N8A1HO/ref=dp_cp_ob_pc_title_1

It feels like they made a typo on the price. My Buddie with the higher end HM model went back and bought one for the heck of it! Crap loads folks are running 2 or 3 of these.

Sarg
05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Well here is a kicker for ya, UPS delivered the monitor around 5:45 PM today, so I quickly opened up the box to inspect the monitor and other than the foam inserts being a bit beat up, the monitor looks to be in good shape. Except I have no way of hooking it up, well I could use the DVI cable from the gateway, but the not power cord, the gateway has a power brick and the power cord is not a standard cord. It did not even come with any paper work or driver disc, which is no biggie I can always download the drivers if need be, but I was told that everything would be included before I placed the order.

So I called BH Photo ASAP and explained everything and after talking with them about the issue, I could either wait for them to send me a power cord and DVI cable, or I can go out and buy them at the micro center. And BH Photo would just Credit me $50.00 for my troubles, so I took the $50.00 Credit and I'm sure it will not cost me that much to buy the cords I need.
But it is a bit of an inconvenience that I can deal with for tonight, I just hope that the monitor is okay, as I wanted to hook it up and make it's working.

I tell ya some times I wonder what kind of luck I have. :shakes:

slim142
05-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Dam that sucks. But hey those cables wont cost $50 so you got like $30 back.

Anyways go get those cables, take pics and let us know!

Sarg
05-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Tis true and I sure will :)

Dam that sucks. But hey those cables wont cost $50 so you got like $30 back.

Anyways go get those cables, take pics and let us know!

Sarg
05-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Okay it took a while for this old PC to render the video and and then the time it took to upload to you tube. But here it is it's about 9 mins long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P6ZFe7DUHU

slim142
05-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Great video. I thought it was gonna be a quick 20 second one lol

So no OSD? Wow that sucks big time! Is it because the monitor is old or because they really intended it to be that way?

Btw, is it a S-IPS or TN?

Sarg
05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Thank you very much, and ya know in my haste to keep the video under 10 min, that is one thing I forgot to check on and include in to the video. But I will post back on that. As for the OSD, I have been looking on the Samsung site and have found no answer as to why no OSD. But from what I can tell, that is the way it was made even when it was brandy new.

So no OSD? Wow that sucks big time! Is it because the monitor is old or because they really intended it to be that way?

Sarg
05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
From what I can find on this monitor at this time it is a.

WQXGA TFT LCD panel, other than that I'm unable to find any other info, as it a is discontinued model. And I wonder why but I don't see an answer forthcoming any time soon.

Sarg

slim142
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Well you tell us how good is the angle view on the screen. If its more than average then its most likely an S-IPS. If just by moving ur head an inch below the screen u see a lot of dark spots and cant read top of the screen, then is TN

However, I doubt they would use a TN in a 30inch. At least I havent seen any.

Sarg
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
As for the viewing angle, I look at the screen from the side and still see everything very clearly, a bit on the dark side but I can read what ever is being displayed as well as see any images, as for looking at it from the bottom, I see no dark spots the top of the screen is a bit darker but I again can see everything clearly.

I will see what I can do with taking a few pictures.

Well you tell us how good is the angle view on the screen. If its more than average then its most likely an S-IPS. If just by moving ur head an inch below the screen u see a lot of dark spots and cant read top of the screen, then is TN

However, I doubt they would use a TN in a 30inch. At least I havent seen any.

Soulburner
05-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Samsung 305T uses one of their own Samsung PVA panels.

Sarg
05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Ahh okay I did not know that thank you for the info.

Samsung 305T uses one of their own Samsung PVA panels.