PDA

View Full Version : Modding a Mach 2 unit into a Lian-Li PC70?

Pseudic
12-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Been walking around the last couple of months thinking about investing in a Mach 2 unit, but 2 things have been holding me back, first is getting the money for it :rolleyes: , next is my concerns about the size of the whole system when putting my Lian-Li PC70 ontop of the Mach 2 unit.

However... After seeing a.p.versteeg's Prom-Li-Pro project in http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6403 i've begun thinking about the possibilities of modding the whole Mach 2 Cooling unit into the bottom of my case.

My plan is to raise the motherboard mount, cut out the backplate and make a new one, remove the HD-rack in the bottom front of the case and remove the rack that holds the floppies. Then i'll make a plate that divides the cooling unit from all the hardware (just like in a.p.versteeg's Prom-Li-Pro).

I am still battling with a couple of possible problems. The first problem is where to mount the PSU? I am not sure that there will be room in the bottom half of the case for the PSU and i really cant see any other place to it. Second problem is whether or not ill be able to fit a radiator in the bottom half of the case. I plan on building the lower half of the case like a "windtunnel sucking air infront and pushing it out the back.

Since the project is still on the drawing board i would love to hear some comments about my plans and possible do's and dont's in the project.

Would also very much like to hear from you a.p.versteeg since you seem to have a nice grasp on the PC70's :D (thinking about your Innova-Li project http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24141) and also some very nice experience in modding the Mach 2 into cases :D

Holst
12-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Those PC 70 are HUGE..

Especially in there length.. they are wider front to back than top too bottom..
You should be able to fit your rad and PSU in without too much trouble.

A good tip is to get some cardboard and make a mock up of your case, prommy, PSU and other stuff.

This is how I designed my watercooling when I used to run it in a case (I dont bother any more, its all over the floor)

TheDude
12-23-2003, 12:27 PM
I just did some modding, cutting, drilling, etc on a Lian Li p65 case for a Mach2 and the first thing to do is tape that sucker up like a mummy with some masking tape so as not to scratch that nice finish while working on it.

sandman
12-23-2003, 12:30 PM
When I was cutting on my cheiftec case, I used 4 layers of tape where I ran the saber saw.

Pseudic
12-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Note to self:

Buy 10 rolls of masking tape at nearest home depot :D

Keep me posted on your progress with your mod of the PC65 TheDude :p:

TheDude
12-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Keep me posted on your progress with your mod of the PC65 TheDude

Pseudic,

My Review/Guide will be published on our front page within the next couple of weeks. ;)

Pseudic
12-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Looking forward to seeing your guide TheDude, but could you quickly list what mods you intend to do to it?

The thing im most interested in finding out, is whether or not you intend to build the Mach 2 into the PC65 :slobber:

TheDude
12-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Yes, I intend to build the Mach 2 into the PC65 with the lower case mod and an LCD.;)
I don't want to jack this thread, so you could PM me if you want.

Afturmath
12-29-2003, 02:32 AM
Koolvin was the first to do it (afaik) with a Vapochill. I know the units are different, but his is unique in that he put it in the top of his case. Check it out.

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/79/

TheDude
12-29-2003, 03:33 AM
nVentiv now sells the Lian Li case already pre-cut and modded to fit the Mach2...just bolt it on. :D