PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech "unisink" for GTX 480, MCW-60

dnottis
04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Has anyone seen anything about this yet? I'm really hoping they release one, I just put one on my 5870 about a month ago...but my GTX 480 is coming and I just want to see if they are gonna put one out -

TIA

EDIT: From what I saw last night I might not even need one. Looks like the GTX 480 has a ram sink plate that you can just leave installed.

http://images9.fotki.com/v448/photos/8/887083/4471355/16-vi.jpg
source: http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/712672-eastys-road-nv-gtx-480-sli-2.html

Nickel020
04-24-2010, 08:44 AM
If you look at Swiftech's website you'll see that the unisink for the ATI 58x0s was released in the middle of January, so about 15 weeks after the release of the cards. I wouldn't count on a unisink in the next few weeks.

The normal baseplate will do the job, but you'll probably need to leave the fan on there.

Helloworld_98
04-24-2010, 08:54 AM
doesn't seem to do very well compared to full cover blocks

dnottis
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
doesn't seem to do very well compared to full cover blocks

yea, I don't do full cover though. My MCW60 has been there for me for a long time :)

Fit every GPU I've owned over quite a few years now. Full cover blocks are a waste of money imo.

Waterlogged
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
<snip> Full cover blocks are a waste of money imo.

This is one thing the two of us can agree on. :yepp:

JoeBar
04-24-2010, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't agree on this. Full cover blocks, especially for high performance vga's aren't a waste. Unless u want to ghetto mount some 120mm fan and defeat the whole purpose of wc'ing. My :2cents: ...

NKrader
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't agree on this. Full cover blocks, especially for high performance vga's aren't a waste. Unless u want to ghetto mount some 120mm fan and defeat the whole purpose of wc'ing. My :2cents: ...

they kinda are as temps of fets and mem arent as vital as GPU.. they look cool and do the full job but add unessential heat to the loop as with normal air moment and the full cover sink is more than enough to cool mem/fets.. and you have water cooling on the part that matters..

i do love full cover blocks as they look the best, but yes they are kinda a waste as they cost much more and cant be mounted to other cards. and for no real world gains.

EDIT: altho i would love to disagree with waterlogged :P

Enigma422
04-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Wonder if the shroud fits over the water block so you can keep a neat looking package.

JoeBar
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
they kinda are as temps of fets and mem arent as vital as GPU.. they look cool and do the full job but add unessential heat to the loop as with normal air moment and the full cover sink is more than enough to cool mem/fets.. and you have water cooling on the part that matters..

i do love full cover blocks as they look the best, but yes they are kinda a waste as they cost much more and cant be mounted to other cards. and for no real world gains.

EDIT: altho i would love to disagree with waterlogged :P
Don't get m wrong m8. I was a vga only guy also, I still have my beloved Maze4 and MCW-60. However i turned to the FC world and find it a better solution, especially if u are overvolting. Unless u don't care running a card with low 40's on the gpu and reaching 100'C on vrm's... :shrug:

Plus i find it pretty stupid spending 600$ on a single vga and trying to fit a 5 year old block... :D

dnottis
04-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Plus i find it pretty stupid spending 600$ on a single vga and trying to fit a 5 year old block... :D

Well I certainly don't. I paid $45 for an MCW-60 and have used it on about 5 different GPUs now. I find that to be an incredible value to be able to use it still. Performance is top notch and you aren't adding a ton of extra heat. Also, memory doesn't even need to be 'sinked so it certainly doesn't need to be water cooled. Ive used Dtek GFX2 with their unisink and the Swiftech "unisinks" with the MCW-60. It does a great job cooling the GPU, ram and VRMs. Using the HD5870 with Swiftech MCW-60 / unisink combo my GPU doesn't break 40c and the vrms top out about 50 deg c under furmark.

I can't see spending $500 on a GPU then having to buy a $130 block. Just cannot justify it. That I find to be stupid. The fact that the MCW-60 is 5+ years old is just a moot point - so because it's not a brand new block its worthless??

Dateranoth
04-24-2010, 10:13 PM
My MCW60 fit just fine. I also had no need for any aftermarket unisink. The stock heat spreader works fine, and if you have no issues with modifying your fan shroud you can even put it back on once the MCW60 is in place to direct air over the stock heat spreader. ( I haven't seen a need to do this yet ). Here's the thread from another forum with links to pictures:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=325113

NKrader
04-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Wonder if the shroud fits over the water block so you can keep a neat looking package.

truth :D i love em they do the job and look great doing it.

Don't get m wrong m8. I was a vga only guy also, I still have my beloved Maze4 and MCW-60. However i turned to the FC world and find it a better solution, especially if u are overvolting.

yes but with my case dd tower26 with trebwerk fans in front make my case get a nice gust going thru the case :D :shrug:

can you tell im trying to figure out which way im gona cool my cards :D

Dateranoth
04-25-2010, 12:04 AM
I have to argue in favor of the MCW60. I can easily push 800mhz core, 2000 memory, and 1600mhz shader with just the stock heat spreader/fan and the mcw60 cooling the gpu.

I think the worries of heat on the vram and voltage regulators is over exaggerated. Not that its not important, but you have to take into account how much heat you remove from the surrounding area when you take out the stock heatsink.

You've taken what used to be ~90-100C worth of temperature around the entire gpu to ~50C. The fact that the ambient temp isn't being saturated by the gpu's heatsink helps tremendously. Added to this is the fact that you can leave the stock fan on there, and, with a little modification, put the shroud back on to direct the air.

If you are going for super extreme overclocks, then maybe the full coverage is the way to go. However, if you just want some pretty decent overclocks with some much better temps ( not to mention MUCH quieter performance ) then I say go with the MCW60.

dnottis
04-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Looks like Swiftech will have one soon for the GTX 480. I can wait to watercool it for a few weeks I guess. Using the stock plate did you have to cut the plastic at all? In the one shot it looks like there is a bit of plastic blocking one of the barbs.

Laine
04-25-2010, 06:08 AM
Just a quick question here.
I have a EK Supreme VGA and I think that the design is outstanding, but I have nothing to compare the performance with.

Why is it always the Swiftech solutions that are mentioned in these VGA-only threads?
Is it that superior to the rest? :shrug:

Dateranoth
04-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Looks like Swiftech will have one soon for the GTX 480. I can wait to watercool it for a few weeks I guess. Using the stock plate did you have to cut the plastic at all? In the one shot it looks like there is a bit of plastic blocking one of the barbs.

There is one small plastic piece that I had to trim down because I use 1/2" tubing. I think if you were using anything smaller it wouldn't be in the way.

I looked it over pretty thoroughly and as you can see in this picture:

http://photo.dateranoth.com/d/2312-2/IMG_0641.JPG (http://photo.dateranoth.com/users/Dateranoth/Computer/watercooling/480GTX/IMG_0641.JPG.html)

There is a small plastic piece under the right barb. The tubing and everything will go on fine, but it was putting pressure against it and made me nervous. So, I trimmed about 1/8 to a 1/4" off of the plastic. The stock fan shroud still snaps back on without any issues with that cut down.

@Laine
I only brought it up because it was a water block I had sitting around and the G80 adapter plate fits perfectly. Cheap easy water cooling for this card.

dnottis
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Just a quick question here.
I have a EK Supreme VGA and I think that the design is outstanding, but I have nothing to compare the performance with.

Why is it always the Swiftech solutions that are mentioned in these VGA-only threads?
Is it that superior to the rest? :shrug:

I think most people would rather use a GPU block than a full cover GPU block. I refuse to spend $130 on top of the $500 for the GPU. I'm already pushing it spending $500...so I'd rather use an MCW-60 that I've been using and just sink everything else or spend the $30 on the Swiftech unisink for the card.

Just an FYi - The Title of this thread was "Swiftech "unisink" for GTX 480, MCW-60", so I'm not sure why you'd ask 'Why is it always the Swiftech solutions that are mentioned in these VGA-only threads?' lol

dnottis
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
There is one small plastic piece that I had to trim down because I use 1/2" tubing. I think if you were using anything smaller it wouldn't be in the way.

I looked it over pretty thoroughly and as you can see in this picture:

http://photo.dateranoth.com/d/2312-2/IMG_0641.JPG (http://photo.dateranoth.com/users/Dateranoth/Computer/watercooling/480GTX/IMG_0641.JPG.html)

There is a small plastic piece under the right barb. The tubing and everything will go on fine, but it was putting pressure against it and made me nervous. So, I trimmed about 1/8 to a 1/4" off of the plastic. The stock fan shroud still snaps back on without any issues with that cut down.

@Laine
I only brought it up because it was a water block I had sitting around and the G80 adapter plate fits perfectly. Cheap easy water cooling for this card.

I'm using 1/2, 3/4 myself.

Laine
04-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I think most people would rather use a GPU block than a full cover GPU block. I refuse to spend $130 on top of the $500 for the GPU. I'm already pushing it spending $500...so I'd rather use an MCW-60 that I've been using and just sink everything else or spend the $30 on the Swiftech unisink for the card.

Just an FYi - The Title of this thread was "Swiftech "unisink" for GTX 480, MCW-60", so I'm not sure why you'd ask 'Why is it always the Swiftech solutions that are mentioned in these VGA-only threads?' lol
Supreme VGA is a GPU only block.
And it was just in general, I was asking the people that answered earlier and there is probably a lot of GPU only kind of people who browses these threads, so I just wanted do know, why Swiftech instead of others?

Stop being such a :shakes::shakes::shakes:.

Dateranoth
04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm using 1/2, 3/4 myself.

You would likely have to modify the plastic then. As I said before, it did fit, but it put pressure against the tubing and its kinda at a rounded point so I didn't trust it for long term. Was afraid it would wear through my tubing over time.

I'm curious what Swiftech will release as a unisink because the stock works so well. I've had more trouble in the past with the unisinks then they are really worth. The stock one for the 480gtx is better than either revision of the 8800gtx one from swiftech. Not necessarily in performance but in fit. I've had no end of trouble getting the unisinks to seat properly. Especially when you take into account the stock fan stays on as well. This allows air flow where an aftermarket unisink would not.

I hope it's something good and worth buying, but I don't think it's necessary. Ive been burning this thing in all morning and the stock heatspreader is barely warm to the touch.

Dateranoth
04-25-2010, 08:33 AM
why Swiftech instead of others?

I haven't researched it in a long time (I've had the mcw60 for awhile now) but it used to be a top performer in both flow rate and cooling. I think it's not at the top anymore, but it performs well enough for me. I think a lot has to do with it being a tried and true block that lots of people already own. As said before, why spend a lot of money on something new when you have something that works already? Obviously on the very xtreme side of things every degree counts, but for most of us it's a non issue over a few degrees one way or the other.

dnottis
04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
And it was just in general, I was asking the people that answered earlier and there is probably a lot of GPU only kind of people who browses these threads, so I just wanted do know, why Swiftech instead of others?

Well for myself the MCW-60 is cheap and I dont think people care to squeeze every last mhz out of the GPU like we do with the CPU. The Nvidia cards have steps anyways and once you hit that point where its unstable you just cant push it further. So better cooling doesn't necessarily give you a better OC with a GPU. Honestly I've never even heard of that block.

FP791
08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey

Do you know if this works on a 470 with a MCW 80/60?

Thanks

PS: Great thread... I'm going from full blocks on 8800gtx sli to either a mcw 80 or 60 on a 470 so I've never seen it done this way.

Martinm210
08-12-2010, 03:32 AM
I'm a GPU only guy myself, after all one of the big benefits to WC to me is being able to reuse most of the cooling gear as you update hardware. Still sporting my DTek GFX on my 8800 over here...I even reused the ramsinks from my air cooling days...didn't want to try and pry those suckers off.

I'd probably try and make the D-Tek work again if I upgrade to a 480GTX as well. I think I still have an MCW-60 in the drawer somewhere too...:D