PDA

View Full Version : Another 30" monitor thread!

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM
:welcome:
I've been reading about 30" monitors and really want to get one.

I currently have a dual monitor set up of the following:

LG Flatron W2600H 25.5" 1920x1200
Samsung Syncmaster 240T 24" 1920x1200

Both are good screens. The Samsung is 8 years old, and while being good, is showing it's age, plus I have a buyer for it (I think). The LG is about 2 years old and a fine monitor, but it's a TN panel. The colors are great, but just not on the level of an IPS. Plus I really want more desktop space and 2560x1600 + 1920x1200 should do the trick.

Current, I game a little (this will pick up with SC2 comes out), mostly FPS and RTS, word docs, movies. Not a whole heck of a lot of photo editing, but I also plan on getting a DSLR in the distant future and having a very nice monitor with a high res would be nice for editing.

I am basically looking for a great monitor that won't perform horribly with gaming.

I noticed NEC does have the 3090WQXi in stock as a refurb for $100 and If I sell my 24" for 200, that's 800.

I guess my questions simply are the following.

1. Is the NEC the right monitor for my needs?
2. How is NEC's warranty plan if I want to extend my warranty considering how much the unit costs?
3.Can anyone who has owned this monitor new or refurb simply sum of their feelings towards it?

Thanks guys.

lutjens
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
I own two of these monitors, and I've owned them since new. I find them to be exceptional monitors, with no issues whatsoever to report. The quality that you get with an NEC display is second to very few in the market. Their online support is excellent and I thoroughly tested this fact prior to purchase (using the online support chat). The tech didn't have the answer to one of my questions, so he immediately escalated my query to engineering and got the answer in short order directly from an engineer.

The monitors themselves aren't the most elegant ones you'll find (rather thick and boxy), but the image quality is stunning. They just reek of solidity and quality. Their packaging is the first realization of this fact. The boxes are very large, and the monitors very well packed. The monitor stand is superb and allows a huge variety of adjustment, as well as incredibly easy conversion to a portrait configuration. This stand is shared with their MultiSync lineup and I was able to test it at work to see it first hand prior to purchase (at my work we use NEC almost exclusively and I've yet to see a failure, even under exceptional conditions where the monitors should have failed completely).

These particular monitors do have a few drawbacks, however. They don't have a wide variety of inputs to them (one DVI-D and one DVI-I only) or any niceties such as USB hubs. They do support HDCP, but only have support for HDCP at 1920x1200 and below.

Hope this helps...;)

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-24-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm glad to hear NEC is very willing to talk to customers.

I will probably give them a call on Monday and see how they treat customers with a refurbished monitor of theirs.

I guess this'll be the push I need for a crossfire or sli set up. :p:

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
No one else has any opinions?

Guess I'm on the right track then....

anzial
04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
I own two of these monitors, and I've owned them since new. I find them to be exceptional monitors, with no issues whatsoever to report. The quality that you get with an NEC display is second to very few in the market. Their online support is excellent and I thoroughly tested this fact prior to purchase (using the online support chat). The tech didn't have the answer to one of my questions, so he immediately escalated my query to engineering and got the answer in short order directly from an engineer.

The monitors themselves aren't the most elegant ones you'll find (rather thick and boxy), but the image quality is stunning. They just reek of solidity and quality. Their packaging is the first realization of this fact. The boxes are very large, and the monitors very well packed. The monitor stand is superb and allows a huge variety of adjustment, as well as incredibly easy conversion to a portrait configuration. This stand is shared with their MultiSync lineup and I was able to test it at work to see it first hand prior to purchase (at my work we use NEC almost exclusively and I've yet to see a failure, even under exceptional conditions where the monitors should have failed completely).

These particular monitors do have a few drawbacks, however. They don't have a wide variety of inputs to them (one DVI-D and one DVI-I only) or any niceties such as USB hubs. They do support HDCP, but only have support for HDCP at 1920x1200 and below.

Hope this helps...;)

Agree on all counts but me thinks, HDCP goes up to 1920x1080, not 1200...

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Well, my 24" samsung 240T died today, or at least it appears that way. It won't power up.

I broke down and ordered the NEC LCD3090WQXI-BK-R. I'm looking forward to using it later this week. :up:

Now I just have to deal with a single monitor. What a drag. :down:

Edit: It still works, but it has a detectable high pitched hum now. Making it to almost 8 years is pretty good for a monitor.

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I got the monitor today.

Absolutely incredible. I know it's a refurb, but you could have fooled me. I couldn't be happier. 30" of goodness. :D

Sarg
04-29-2010, 02:44 PM
that's the same monitor you had mention on my thread correct?

Sarg

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Yes, the NEC, the one that I linked you to.

I do not own a digital camera (go figure), other wise i'd take pics. It's stunning how much of a difference there is, quality wise, not just resolution.