PDA

View Full Version : Fan shrouds

Raiden
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Hello , i have been hearing that the shrouds like the ones from Tfc and other brands can be used to lower some degrees in the watercooling system , is this true ??

I have seen some reviews and used the search option too yes:yepp:

But they dont seem to be too conclusive some reviews , anyone did experiences with this, or got opinion about it?

I need help to clear my mind about them , hope that you can help me..:up:

H20Cooled
04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
They can help. What you are doing is moving the fan face away from the fins so that it has less cavitation and allows the airflow to cool more surface area by shrinking or removing the dead spot. The fan hub is a dead spot air flow wise when the fins are right next to the blades, by increasing the distance between the two you now have more surface area and lower restriction so you can get better temps.

Church
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/Radiator-Fan-Orientation-And-Shroud-Testing-Review.html
Usually there is limit how much stuff can be stacked in sandwhich with internal rad mounting. I'd prefer simply fans on push-pull instead of miscellaneous shroud configs with only push or pull or dedicate 1/3 of case volume to rad,push-pull fans and shrouds from both sides.
Simpliest way to get shrouds - dissassemble old fans.

bobruto
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
What you are doing is moving the fan face away from the fins so that it has less cavitation and allows the airflow to cool more surface area by shrinking or removing the dead spot.

Cavitation is the formation of vapour bubbles of a flowing liquid in a region where the pressure of the liquid falls below its vapor pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

bundymania
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
You can have the same effect for less money, when you use old fans and mod them via dremel into shrouds :)

Alexandr0s
04-23-2010, 11:49 AM
You can have the same effect for less money, when you use old fans and mod them via dremel into shrouds :)

Yeah, a lot of people seem to just buy yates; They're dirt cheap, and work just as well.
Of course, you can always fabricate one yourself :p:.

Red Maw
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Of course, you can always fabricate one yourself :p:.

That's what I plan to do; not going to be pretty but it'll be cheap and effective :D

H20Cooled
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
If these Feser ones were $5-6 then they would be great but at $20 each its crazy.

kinghong1970
04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
If these Feser ones were $5-6 then they would be great but at $20 each its crazy.

well, they have to make the money somehow to fund their wacked out advertisement campaigns...

bundymania
04-23-2010, 09:00 PM

there are cheaper copies available:

http://www.aquatuning.de/advanced_search_result.php/language/en/keywords/phobya%20shroud

:)

Raiden
04-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Thans to all for the opinions , i will be using old fans , thanks for the tip bundymania ..;D

gmat
04-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Old fans can have open corners. Makes a lot of difference when you're actually trying to mount everything :)