PDA

View Full Version : New Server Processors Can Help AMD Compete with Intel

ajaidev
04-22-2010, 02:27 AM
"In its recent quarterly earnings, AMD (NYSE:AMD) announced that its latest Opteron 6000 series server processors are quickly gaining traction among server manufacturers such as Dell (NASDAQ:DELL), HP (NYSE:HPQ), Acer, Cray and SGI who have planned to come up with more than 25 different Opteron 6000 based platforms.

AMD’s competitor Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) dominates the server processor market with approximately 70% share and we estimate the server processor business constitutes 23% of Intel’s stock price. In comparison, 43% of AMD’s stock depends on its server processor business."

http://www.trefis.com/company?article=15404

Not bad maybe Intel will release 4P hex cores "32nm" that would be great. :yepp:

Frontl1ne
04-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Or maybe Intel will just "accidently" drop some large sums of money at Dell, HP and other OEM main centres.

:p

Dresdenboy
04-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Or maybe Intel will just "accidently" drop some large sums of money at Dell, HP and other OEM main centres.

:p

Does that mean another billion for AMD?

I_no
04-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Does that mean another billion for AMD?
Not if they do pay the judge this time :D

zowix
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Haha, it´s fun becuse it´s true. xD

god_43
04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
well amd knows how to address that market, i guess we will see how well it responds at the end of this quarter. the reason why amd marketing sucks is because they have no money to spend on it,its all going into R&D. that's why amd is bigger in the server space than they are in the client space (obviously discounting illegal actions by intel).

MrMojoZ
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Hey now, Intel's illegal market tampering was only needed when they were losing in performance. If they don't get lazy again they shouldn't have to pull out that bag of tricks anymore.

haylui
04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey now, Intel's illegal market tampering was only needed when they were losing in performance. If they don't get lazy again they shouldn't have to pull out that bag of tricks anymore.

Intel's fanboi?
lolz

terrace215
04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
"In its recent quarterly earnings, AMD (NYSE:AMD) announced that its latest Opteron 6000 series server processors are quickly gaining traction among server manufacturers such as Dell (NASDAQ:DELL), HP (NYSE:HPQ), Acer, Cray and SGI who have planned to come up with more than 25 different Opteron 6000 based platforms.

AMD’s competitor Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) dominates the server processor market with approximately 70% share and we estimate the server processor business constitutes 23% of Intel’s stock price. In comparison, 43% of AMD’s stock depends on its server processor business."

http://www.trefis.com/company?article=15404

Not bad maybe Intel will release 4P hex cores "32nm" that would be great. :yepp:

But then there was this:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/199031-advanced-micro-devices-inc-q1-2010-earnings-call-transcript?page=-1

Patrick Wang – Wedbush Securities

You gave some color in terms of your expectations in the 2P service space and briefly touched on 4P. I guess your pricing is at the same level as the 2P parts. Do you have any evidence that the strategy is actually driving more customer interest? Any examples you can actually cite?

Derrick Meyer

The only public example I can cite are the design wins that we talked about and the OEM’s we have lined up talking about the product alongside us at launch. We do have some positive feedback from some big enterprise customers but as you know, we can’t cite enterprise appointments by name.

Patrick Wang – Wedbush Securities

But the pricing strategy is actually taking hold and you’re starting to see some momentum on those parts.

Derrick Meyer

I think there’s a lot of resonance in the industry for the strategy that we’ve deployed.

So... they have "design wins" and "feedback" and "resonance". He couldn't answer "yes" to the second question.

Ahh, can you feel the resonance?

BTW, that "trefis" site = "we make little slidey graphs to go along with our random speculation, so we must be good!"

rocket733
04-22-2010, 10:01 AM
BTW, that "trefis" site = "we make little slidey graphs to go along with our random speculation, so we must be good!"

Well I think you've sumed up every management consulting company out there... :ROTF:

LesGrossman
04-22-2010, 10:43 AM
He couldn't answer "yes" to the second question.

First it wasn't a question it was an observation, to which Meyer agreed.
Second he could have said yes and looked like a monosyllabic moron or he could have constructed a phrase with nice words on it, which he did.

You're trolling is becoming really annoying.

god_43
04-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Well I think you've sumed up every management consulting company out there... :ROTF:

lol....lol just lol man!

Second he could have said yes and looked like a monosyllabic moron or he could have constructed a phrase with nice words on it, which he did.

You're trolling is becoming really annoying.

now now, if some one gets out of line for you - thats what the small red triangle in the corner is for ;p.

Clairvoyant129
04-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Intel's fanboi?
lolz

What? You call him a fanboy just for that comment? And if you say anything good about AMD you're not a fanboy? You people need serious help. I guess in your eyes anyone using the "evil" Intel platform is a fanboy.

god_43
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
What? You call him a fanboy just for that comment? And if you say anything good about AMD you're not a fanboy? You people need serious help. I guess in your eyes anyone using the "evil" Intel platform is a fanboy.

i think he was joking around?

damha
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I am surprised to learn Intel only has 70% server market share.

enumae
04-22-2010, 11:32 AM

In 4Q09 by form factor, Intel earned 87.3% share in the mobile PC processor segment, a loss of 0.7%, AMD finished with 12.7%, a gain of 0.8%, and VIA earned 0.1%. In the PC server/workstation processor segment, Intel finished with 89.8% market share, a loss of 0.6% and AMD earned 10.2%, a gain of 0.6%. In the desktop PC processor segment, Intel earned 71.1%, a loss of 1.1%, and AMD earned 28.6%, a gain of 1.2%.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article40646.html

radaja
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
please can we not do this again?it's really not a "good time for all".

damha
04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
In 4Q09 by form factor, Intel earned 87.3% share in the mobile PC processor segment, a loss of 0.7%, AMD finished with 12.7%, a gain of 0.8%, and VIA earned 0.1%. In the PC server/workstation processor segment, Intel finished with 89.8% market share, a loss of 0.6% and AMD earned 10.2%, a gain of 0.6%. In the desktop PC processor segment, Intel earned 71.1%, a loss of 1.1%, and AMD earned 28.6%, a gain of 1.2%.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article40646.html

Now that makes a lot of sense. Trefis screwed up some facts.

Frodin
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM

I see right through it! "Trefis" is Norwegian for "wood fart".

terrace215
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM

If you listened to that exchange on the call, it actually was a question, despite the punctuation in the transcript.

And anyone who isn't completely naive sees the response for what it is: a dodge. Were Dirk on the stand, the questioning analyst would've come back with, "Yes or No, please." and received a reluctant "No." in response.

As for monosyllabic answers, believe it or not, it is possible to say, "Yes, ... " and include more than just a "Yes" in the answer. Shocking, I know.

I mean, if you actually listened to the call, or even read through the transcript, you'd note that several analysts were skeptical of AMD's MC strategy, particularly its (low) pricing. This analyst is trying to get some evidence that their strategy is working, and Dirk is clearly unable (or unwilling) to provide any at this point in time, instead engaging in feel-good platitudes. Now, maybe they'll have evidence in the future, but there wasn't any here.

My point is that the wood-fart site (trefis) mention the bright side "design wins!" but somehow omit the "no sales evidence yet that i'm willing to talk about" part. But, feel free to play with the sliders...

snoro
04-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Well there is one thing for sure is that intel is not going to get my money for my server based dedicated WCG crunched and AMD will. 300$ for a 80w 8 core 2ghz cpu ??? And compare this to around 400-500$ for the same thing from intel if you consider ht as equal as core.

saaya
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM
sorry, but whats the news here?
amd claiming their 6000 series cpus are successful?
hows that news? :confused:
if theyd at least mention numbers... then maybe...

LesGrossman
04-24-2010, 05:01 AM
If you listened to that exchange on the call, it actually was a question, despite the punctuation in the transcript.

And anyone who isn't completely naive sees the response for what it is: a dodge. Were Dirk on the stand, the questioning analyst would've come back with, "Yes or No, please." and received a reluctant "No." in response.

As for monosyllabic answers, believe it or not, it is possible to say, "Yes, ... " and include more than just a "Yes" in the answer. Shocking, I know.

I mean, if you actually listened to the call, or even read through the transcript, you'd note that several analysts were skeptical of AMD's MC strategy, particularly its (low) pricing. This analyst is trying to get some evidence that their strategy is working, and Dirk is clearly unable (or unwilling) to provide any at this point in time, instead engaging in feel-good platitudes. Now, maybe they'll have evidence in the future, but there wasn't any here.

My point is that the wood-fart site (trefis) mention the bright side "design wins!" but somehow omit the "no sales evidence yet that i'm willing to talk about" part. But, feel free to play with the sliders...
lol

"But the pricing strategy is actually taking hold and you’re starting to see some momentum on those parts?"

Yes adding the question mark really makes sense. :clap: :shakes:

How about:
"But is the pricing strategy actually taking hold and are you starting to see some momentum on those parts?"

Now go away troll.

JumpingJack
04-24-2010, 06:47 AM

They don't, Intel holds around 90%.... that 70% number is not correct. I think this number is getting confused with desktop share.

Mercury Research pegs AMD at around 9.8% -- this guy always posts the MR numbers when the report is released:
http://www.investorvillage.com/mbthread.asp?mb=476&tid=8883011&showall=1

iSuppli has AMD somewhere around 12%
(trying to find a link)

MC though should help turn this around.

JumpingJack
04-24-2010, 06:53 AM
sorry, but whats the news here?
amd claiming their 6000 series cpus are successful?
hows that news? :confused:
if theyd at least mention numbers... then maybe...

I did not read into AMD's wording they were claiming success in the market just yet, but that there was excitement and positive feedback.

You have a good point though, this is not really news -- AMD claimed the same enthusiasm and excitement of Barcelona.

The difference in this case though is that MC is no Barcelona.

[XC] Oj101
04-24-2010, 07:01 AM
AMD is hurting Intel with their 4P pricing, either they're going to grow or the consumer is going to start getting a better deal.

JumpingJack
04-24-2010, 07:04 AM
lol

"But the pricing strategy is actually taking hold and you’re starting to see some momentum on those parts?"

Yes adding the question mark really makes sense. :clap: :shakes:

How about:
"But is the pricing strategy actually taking hold and are you starting to see some momentum on those parts?"

Now go away troll.

In fairness, you are picking on semantics and ignoring the general spirit. The statement, as written, does not
look like a question but it looks like a leading question so to speak. Meyer did not give the analyst the information he was seaking for the formal answer and the Analyst was fishing for confirmation of the answer he wanted.

Meyer's response is not surprising, really, since MC and the pricing was launched late in the quarter, there is really not enough time to determine if it has established any momentum.

saaya
04-24-2010, 08:26 AM
I did not read into AMD's wording they were claiming success in the market just yet, but that there was excitement and positive feedback.

You have a good point though, this is not really news -- AMD claimed the same enthusiasm and excitement of Barcelona.

The difference in this case though is that MC is no Barcelona.
yeah, a company calling their new product successful without backing up those claims whatsoever... no company deserves attention for that imo :D
if analysts are fine with this, whatever, if it works for them... :shrug:

snoro
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
a analyst use everything to guide his clients to where they must spend their money. Even some useless pr stuff like that can be used in many ways by a analyst. They are pro at given a financial meaning to everything. Also price wars in the server market segment can only be good for small business and cruncher since they are mostly the one that can barely afford top of the line server stuff while big company just dont mind about price.

JF-AMD
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
The simple question is "do you think that AMD is in a more competitive position today than a year ago?"

The answer is yes.

If you don't believe that the market is more competitive today, then you are either not paying attention or have your blinders on. A competitive market is good for customers, end of discussion.

OhNoes!
04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
The simple question is "do you think that AMD is in a more competitive position today than a year ago?"

The answer is yes.

If you don't believe that the market is more competitive today, then you are either not paying attention or have your blinders on. A competitive market is good for customers, end of discussion.Amen. We all need a more competitive AMD.