PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: Apple Could Be Weighing AMD Acquisition

superrugal
04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Source:http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/Analyst-Apple-Could-Be-Weighing-AMD-Acquisition-69816.html

By Brian R. Hook
MacNewsWorld
04/20/10 11:01 AM PT

Rumors and leaks are a regular feature of Apple-watching, and there's usually some substance behind a fair number of them. One currently making the rounds is that Apple could be ditching Intel in favor of AMD processors. Analyst Rob Enderle took the supposing one step further, suggesting that Apple might even be considering acquisition of AMD in order bolster its ability to make its own processors in-house.

Rumors are flying once again that Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) may drop Intel (Nasdaq: INTC) for AMD (NYSE: AMD) to supply the maker of personal computers with microprocessors, but hardly anyone is talking.

The latest round of speculation follows a report by AppleInsider that AMD representatives have been spotted several times exiting meetings with Apple's top brass.

The meetings reportedly included AMD briefings that spurred work in Apple labs that may lead to placement of the chips inside some upcoming Apple products, AppleInsider reported, citing "people familiar with the matter."

Better Fit?

If the rumor is true, it is probably a negotiating tactic on the part of Apple, Rob Enderle, principal analyst with the Enderle Group, told MacNewsWorld.

"Apple knows how to manipulate Intel pretty well," he said, noting that a team within Intel is dedicated solely to Apple.

This is a special relationship that even the giant computer maker HP (NYSE: HPQ) does not have with Intel, said Enderle.

If Apple did decide to switch, however, the AMD microprocessors might be more suitable for Apple since the chips favor graphics over central processing units, he pointed out.

"It's hard for me to imagine, but threatening to switch would not be unsual," Enderle said.

Bigger Deal?

If Apple were to dump Intel, it might actually be in the market to buy AMD, Enderle suggested.

Apple is already making its own processor for the iPad, he pointed out, and it might be looking for more vertical integration.

"AMD is relatively cheap," he said, "and Apple could afford to buy it."

Apple did not respond to a request for comment, while AMD and Intel declined to speak on the issue.

"As a matter of policy, we don't comment on rumor or speculation," said Drew Prairie, a spokesperson for AMD.

"Those reports fall into the category of speculative reports, and we don't comment on speculation," said Chuck Mulloy, PR for Intel.

Eastcoasthandle
04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
If true, I wonder if Intel gave Apple permission to do this to keep the Gov't off their back?

h0bbes
04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Apple buying AMD :shrug:

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't that be a waste of AMD?

Hornet331
04-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I hope not... not if you want to have cheap cpus in the future anyway....

god_43
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
i dont really see this as a possibility, i mean from a economic perspective...ya i guess its possible, but i dont think the politics of the semiconductor industry would allow it.

Particle
04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Does AMD not lose its x86 license if outright bought?

god_43
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM

i think that the new licensing agreement allows them to be bought out?

h0bbes
04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
i dont really see this as a possibility, i mean from a economic perspective...ya i guess its possible, but i dont think the politics of the semiconductor industry would allow it.

Maybe Apple does have the money to buy AMD but thats where reality ends in relation to this story (in my opinion).

radaja
04-20-2010, 01:40 PM
it would be so bad if Apple were to buy AMD.
consumers would be stuck between an apple and hard place.

Russian
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
*Facepalm* Rob Enderle? Really?

terrace215
04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
i think that the new licensing agreement allows them to be bought out?

Well, no.

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509236705/dex102.htm

Under change-of-control, the license terminates, although it terminates for both parties, as opposed to termination due to a breach of agreement by 1 party.

So any acquirer would have to renegotiate an agreement with Intel.

But it would be a silly acquisition for AAPL anyhow.

madcho
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
The new agrement was about intel's attack and false charts, and the limited outsourcing of manufacturing cpus.

I don't think it change for buy AMD, but no one knows ?

Apple can buy AMD, with money you can afford anything, but i'm sure Apple's goal is to get price down of intel, i think they increased their benefits for Apple rigs only.

Opteron is good for Apple offer good performance in 2P and 4P, and Apple just want some more fight for the mac market.
Phenom II is enough good for desktop a far way cheaper. Nvidia did bad things for last year ( &chips dieing too fast ), and AMD's gpus are greats.

I was expecting, Apple to sell AMD's chips, but Apple is just late about one year.

Apple has a good tactic, but intel is not so stupid.

cegras
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
If apple buys AMD, welcome to a whole new world of vertical integration and markups.

informal
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
*Facepalm* Rob Enderle? Really?

Seconded. This sounds like *someone* had a dream and then told it to a group of people with vivid imagination.

zanzabar
04-20-2010, 02:39 PM

why would apple care they could change to ppc or another better command set and its not like intel would be allowed to take that license away it would make them a monopoly and the public loves apple.

it would be a terrible day for the world if apple did buy amd though

Katanai
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok,this forum is on the brink of being ruined for me. If I see one more post with the word apple in it I'll freaking break my monitor. :mad: Sadly my last post on this forum was something like: is this macrumours.com or xs? And now we have this thread here.

:spam:

I really don't care about apple and I don't wanna find out in the future what panties Steve Jobs is wearing. Somebody stop this bs already! This clone/bot should be banned for posting this stuff...

god_43
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
why would apple care they could change to ppc or another better command set and its not like intel would be allowed to take that license away it would make them a monopoly and the public loves apple.

it would be a terrible day for the world if apple did buy amd though

why do you say that? they would most likely make amd a household name.....lol they would probably be more popular/successful than they are now. or is it that you think if they buy them apple will make amd exclusive to their platform?

Ok,this forum is on the brink of being ruined for me. If I see one more post with the word apple in it I'll freaking break my monitor. :mad: Sadly my last post on this forum was something like: is this macrumours.com or xs? And now we have this thread here.

:spam:

I really don't care about apple and I don't wanna find out in the future what panties Steve Jobs is wearing. Somebody stop this bs already! This clone/bot should be banned for posting this stuff...

lol dont look at my post ;p. yeah it is a little bit too much apple.

Serra
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I too am getting a bit sick of eating apples here lately. This thread is about a rumor which the first and only source cited in it suggests is false, so I'm going to go ahead and move it to Wamps for discussion outside of the News arena.

Starscream
04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I promised to never buy an Apple product (except the ones you can eat).

i alreadys ee the commercials.
Itunes it runs better on the new AMD Apples.
Triple A (Apple, ATI, AMD)

zanzabar
04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
i would assume exclusive platform or atleast make them vary expensive since it would be apple branded. if they contracted through amd i could see that as being a good thing especially since amd has the best IGPs and they have vary low defect rates in retail/oem products. but if apple buys them then intel will be the only player in x86 for windows or non osx linux. and maybe worse ati would die for this leaving just NV and we know how they love price hikes and renames.

ScorpionHD
04-20-2010, 03:46 PM
AUTHOR DRINK POISON, and RUN INTO THE WALL AT FULL SPEED!

P.S.
Apple cant afford to buy Intel's anymore or maybe they want to go big with the bulldoser...

Tortel
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
If Apple buys AMD, then you could probably get an AMD proc with a brand new Apple product, forcing you to waste $500 on nothing. And then Intel will be slammed with an anti-trust, and no more CPUs :/

saaya
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
*Facepalm* Rob Enderle? Really?exactly... :D

this is amd trying to boost their stock price and maybe apple trying to push for lower prices at intel... but its all talk, im pretty sure...

its all about power efficiency atm and dynamic performance, and thats where intel has the lead... so this wouldnt make too much sense for apple... what apple needs is ultra low power and efficient cpus... not cheap but hot and a bit slow cpus...

it would make more sense if dell or hp bought amd... or lenovo as its partially owned by the chinese government and they want their own cpu tech badly... and dell and hp sell a lot of workstations and servers where price is everything and power and perf isnt THAT important... plus server wise amd is more competitive...