PDA

View Full Version : 8K3A+ - 5v question

LBJGH
08-19-2002, 11:41 AM
I didn't know where to post this so I thought this would be the best place.

I recently got a 8K3A+ motherboard and noticed that the 5v rating (using MBM5) is well below 5.0v when I'm overclocking. I use a Whisper Enermax 350w on my 1ghz Athlon @ 1500+

Is this normal for the 5v to drop so low?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=26609

IFMU
08-19-2002, 11:46 AM
By my limited understanding, no. Thats a lil lower then it should be. I would think the psu might not be enough to handle what your giving it.
And as for whether or not this is the right area.... are yea wanting to do a vmod? if not, no. if yes, then its fine.
If not, it would best be suited in AMD Motherboards, if a mobo problem, or General Hardware if PSU problem. Which Im thinkin GH/PSU to be honest.

LBJGH
08-19-2002, 11:58 AM
OK, how can I mod my mobo to fix the 5v thingie? ;) :D

Originally posted by IFMU
By my limited understanding, no. Thats a lil lower then it should be. I would think the psu might not be enough to handle what your giving it.
And as for whether or not this is the right area.... are yea wanting to do a vmod? if not, no. if yes, then its fine.
If not, it would best be suited in AMD Motherboards, if a mobo problem, or General Hardware if PSU problem. Which Im thinkin GH/PSU to be honest.

Hardass
08-19-2002, 11:58 AM
I,m not sure MBM is all that accurate, I have the 8K3A+ and a 520W TTGI, MBM show the 5 line at 4.94 and my DD5 shows it at 5.02. I,ve seen it drop to 4.88 according to MBM and never go below 5.00 on DD5 so which one is right. So I split the differance.

Sherlock
09-15-2002, 03:05 PM
There is definitely a voltage regulation problem with the 8k3a/+ involving the 5v rail. The 8k5a2/+ has corrected this issue. The stability of this new revised board is superior while overclocking. The 8k3a probably does deserve a 5v rail mod to be developed.;)

Leo
09-15-2002, 05:07 PM
It's normal, as Sherlock said the 8K3A+ has +5v rail issues. This is because it uses a two-phase power solution instead of three. Enermax PSUs also tend to be weaker in the 5v as compared to PSUs such as Antecs.