PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Time!!!

Sideroxylon
04-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Finally getting around to upgrading my 3 year old QX6700 rig. It's been great and does everything I've needed it to do and still does but I wouldn't be posting on these forums if I was happy with just adequate. ;)

Current rig is in the sig. Here's a couple pics.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Sideroxylon/001.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Sideroxylon/003.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Sideroxylon/009.jpg

Bonus!! Look what just came knocking on my door...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/Sideroxylon/007.jpg
PA120.4 :D

The rest of it is on it's way. A used I7-920 D0 that's supposed to clock up around 4.3g at acceptable volts, an eVGA X58 SLI LE mobo, an OCZ 120g Vertex SSD, and 6g of Corsair Dominator ram. It's tough being patient while this stuff slowly filters in.

I'll update with more pics as things progress. :toast:

Petra
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Based on the specs in your sig, I probably wouldn't have touched the machine for another three years... :rofl:

Sideroxylon
04-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Based on the specs in your sig, I probably wouldn't have touched the machine for another three years... :rofl:

Heh, I know. But, I've been hanging out on the forums too much lately and seeing all these people with 4g+ I7 chips. Always wanted to be part of the 4g+ club. Plus I got more back from taxes than I thought I was going to get so... :up:

Alexandr0s
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Heh, I know. But, I've been hanging out on the forums too much lately and seeing all these people with 4g+ I7 chips. Always wanted to be part of the 4g+ club. Plus I got more back from taxes than I thought I was going to get so... :up:

Lol, if you don't accept there will always be people with more money to spend and crazier rigs than you, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up. I know it's hard, but you should only upgrade if you feel like doing so yourself, and not because someone else has a better rig and you want to out-Xtreme him. :up:

cadupradoo
04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Lol, if you don't accept there will always be people with more money to spend and crazier rigs than you, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up. I know it's hard, but you should only upgrade if you feel like doing so yourself, and not because someone else has a better rig and you want to out-Xtreme him. :up:

That's right, but I get what the OP means. I had an i7 920 D0, and sold it in order to buy a notebook to use at the university. After less than a month, I was already on the mood to upgrade it, change for a new one, or build a desktop, since the notebook doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

After 3 weeks, I wanted to upgrade it, since I had bought the desktop on a budget. I've upgraded the graphics card and psu already, and now I've bought a motherboard and am just waiting to sell my current mobo+cpu+memory to buy DDR3 memories + phenom.

I wanna give a shot on those phenom's, and can't wait to see the prices of the Thubans here in Brazil....

Botton line is, I never upgrade my pc when it's necessary only, but I don't try to keep up with crazy guys!

Sideroxylon
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM

I know, I know. I'm well past my usual upgrade schedule as it is, so it's definitely time. I'm pretty proud of myself for going almost 3 years with no big upgrades. Plus I could feel my e-peen getting smaller and smaller with each passing day and we all know that's just not acceptable. :rolleyes:

Waterlogged
04-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Sid, sounds like a classic case of upgrade BlueB***s. :rofl:

Sideroxylon
04-21-2010, 05:43 AM
Sid, sounds like a classic case of upgrade BlueB***s. :rofl:

Heh, definitely. What actually happened was that I decided to finally rebuild my loop with compression fittings. And then I decided to cut a window in my side panel. Now I've got the itch. I just want to keep tinkering with it.

Thanks for looking guys. :cool:

Petra
04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Heh, definitely. What actually happened was that I decided to finally rebuild my loop with compression fittings. And then I decided to cut a window in my side panel. Now I've got the itch. I just want to keep tinkering with it.

I think it's pretty safe to say that everyone in here knows how that feels... I just tend to curb the "itch" by digging out old hardware and tinkering with it or spending time on my design projects.

*edit* Don't forget to post some pics once you get that new rig together :)

Sideroxylon
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
*edit* Don't forget to post some pics once you get that new rig together :)

Will do!! :toast: