PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Begins Sampling 20nm MLC NAND Flash

RADCOM
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Begins+Sampling+20nm+MLC+NAND+Flash/article18166.htm

saaya
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
wow!

Manicdan
04-19-2010, 12:57 PM
is class 10 good or bad? they say these will read and write at 20/10 MB/s so for SSDs these will be paired up, or this just isnt the same memory class at all?

Levish
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM
^ per chip i believe

Marios
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
20nm means a lot more GBs for the same SSD size in a competitive price.
Ten 16GB chips of 20MB/s give an 160GB SSD of 200MB/s max read.

turbox997
04-19-2010, 09:32 PM
hope the price of micro sdhc's fall. I'd love to get a 16GB micro sdhc for under $20, especially at a class 10 speed rating.

hyc
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Physical size hasn't been a barrier to SSD capacity at all. Consider the tiny size of a 16GB microSD card, vs the physical size of a 2.5" drive. Most of the space inside the drive is just filler. There are 1TB 3.5" SSDs but there's no reason they couldn't have already been done in 2.5" form factor, aside from price. Apparently there's too much of a psychological barrier to paying that much for a 2.5" device, so instead they use a 3.5" case with a lot of empty space inside.

madcho
04-20-2010, 12:42 AM
I prefer to extend my hard drive by some other hard drives instead of SSD. Actually i have 3TB of hard drives, and i've just bought 2x2To external hard drive raid 0.

My os hard drive use 441go. my downloads are on a secondary hard drive. Why pay so much for less data space and maybe less security for your data. For moment SSD tech is very new, and you can recover your data much easily with white rooms even in extrem case.

And SSD recover ?

And MTBF ? WTF ?? This is for mechanical in hard drive ... why use this for SSD ?

Lower process will give more GB for less €/$. And actually the GB/€,$ is very low. A better ratio may me change my mind about that tech. For moment i prefer keep money waiting for new rig based a two cpu with BD cores and a lot of high speed ram. ( >=16GB ).

SSD is not next year futur standard but a hype.

Hannibal Lecter
04-20-2010, 02:13 AM
I prefer to extend my hard drive by some other hard drives instead of SSD. Actually i have 3TB of hard drives, and i've just bought 2x2To external hard drive raid 0.

My os hard drive use 441go. my downloads are on a secondary hard drive. Why pay so much for less data space and maybe less security for your data. For moment SSD tech is very new, and you can recover your data much easily with white rooms even in extrem case.

And SSD recover ?

And MTBF ? WTF ?? This is for mechanical in hard drive ... why use this for SSD ?

Lower process will give more GB for less €/$. And actually the GB/€,$ is very low. A better ratio may me change my mind about that tech. For moment i prefer keep money waiting for new rig based a two cpu with BD cores and a lot of high speed ram. ( >=16GB ).

SSD is not next year futur standard but a hype.

I totally agree that current prices are high and that you can get close enough performance for large read with a RAID 0 setup. However with SSD you get better all round performance, much smaller size, and silence. The fact that these features are not important to you does not imply that it's hype!

RAID 0 is not the end all in terms of every day performance. Where I cannot follow you is when you talk about recovery. If you use a RAID 0 setup, surely you have a backup strategy, right? And since you're using at least 2 drives, your chances of losing your data is twice as big.

In terms of MTBF, IIRC we're talking about 100000+ hours in other words longer than the time you'd want to upgrade your storage. And the reason why there is an MTBF figure attached to SSD drives is because there is a finite number of R/W cycles for flash memory chips.

I personnally think that an hybrid setup makes a lot of sense, a fast 80GB SSD for the OS and Applications and a high density HDD for data seems optimal to me.

But to call SSD hype is not right.

Easybeat
04-20-2010, 02:45 AM
hope the price of micro sdhc's fall. I'd love to get a 16GB micro sdhc for under $20, especially at a class 10 speed rating.

This is pretty much what I am after also, it seems a long time since I moved to 8Gb cards and drives and the market seems to have stagnated over the last year or so.

Marios
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Physical size hasn't been a barrier to SSD capacity at all. Consider the tiny size of a 16GB microSD card, vs the physical size of a 2.5" drive. Most of the space inside the drive is just filler. There are 1TB 3.5" SSDs but there's no reason they couldn't have already been done in 2.5" form factor, aside from price. Apparently there's too much of a psychological barrier to paying that much for a 2.5" device, so instead they use a 3.5" case with a lot of empty space inside.

Size is the most prominent problem for flash memory. Check it please.