PDA

View Full Version : Scythe GT vs Yate Loon Questions

xguntherc
04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey guys.. I have a dilemma here. I'm rebuilding my water loop the next week or so. and I'm trying to decide on fans. I'm running my Q9650 on a single loop with a Feser 360 Radiator and I'll be adding my GTX 480 to it.

Is the fact that my fans are Horizontal a problem for the Yate Loon and the Bearings?? I'm running Yate Loon Medium Fans that are 70 CFM at 33 dBa and they run full speed 24/7 Horizontal. and they are a little loud for my liking.

So, what will be quieter the Yate Loon 33 dBa rating or the Scythe GT 1850 with it's 28 dBa rating? I'm planning on getting 3 or 6 of them. if I do Push/Pull with 6 fans then maybe dropping to the GT 1450's and having 6 will get better performance than the YL 3 fans were doing.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

avddreamr
04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
What do you figure your heat load will be on the loop?

Which yates do you have?

How much do intend to overclock the gpu..

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=31&artpage=4157&articID=936
Yates at about 1800 rpm, 7v, 25cfm, 66dbs
GT AP15, 34cfm at 62/63dbs (12v) or
25 cfm 59dbs...
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=4130&articID=936

However, when you run sleeve bearing fans horizontally they do produce noise that wouldn't be produced vertically.
You could experiment with a few things before you spend 50 bucks on new fans... you could device a shroud, that tends to lower the noise... and takes care of dead spots etc. If that doesn't work, then you'll still benefit from using a shroud on the gts.

How do you like those triple fis?

Serpentarius
04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
<30dba = Bedroom ambient (good choice for quiet computing)

33dBA x 3 = 37.8dBA (no wonder you say Yates are bit loud)

28dBA x 3 = 32.8dbA
28dBA x 6 = 35.8dbA

same dBA = stack + increment
different dBA = highest overwrites all

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/adding-decibel-d_63.html

Conumdrum
04-18-2010, 08:47 PM
The Yates won't last as long horizontally. Might make more noise as they get older.

xguntherc
04-18-2010, 09:16 PM
the Triple.Fi's are great. I got them made into Custom IEM's by a shop in Florida. great work.
Back on subject I have the Medium speed Yates from Petra's Tech Shop. So the curved blade I think.. they are the 70.5 CFM 33 dBA ones.
That madShrimp site is sweet. I'm still checking sounds.. what about the Scythe Kama Flex, or even the 1500 RPM blue Noiseblocker fan.. it sounds decent.

the sound from the GT's is a little different. it's a sound of it's own thats for sure. and yea maybe I could stick to 3 fans, and use my cheap Yate's as shrouds and then use the GT's as the actual fans. (that would help with noise, as well as cool better right) I'm on a site called koolerteck.com they have great prices on the 1850 RPM GT's and on many other fans. has anyone bought from there.

thanks Serp for the info there. Those sounds will be better with shrouds right? and yea I'm actually using 4 Yate Loon Mediums in my case, 3 on the rad and one for the rear.

xguntherc
04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I've had the Yate's in a Horizontal Position for about a year now running daily.. and I throw a shirt over my Tower when I go to bed cuz the lights on mobo shine through window and keep me awake so I shut down and cover with a shirt or blanket. I've started the PC a many times with the shirt still covering the fans. I wonder if that messed with the fans. but yea the Yate's are over a year old.

Since my fans are Horizontal is there another type of fan that might be a better idea yet still cool a radiator well

Jamesrt2004
04-19-2010, 01:00 AM
I've had the Yate's in a Horizontal Position for about a year now running daily.. and I throw a shirt over my Tower when I go to bed cuz the lights on mobo shine through window and keep me awake so I shut down and cover with a shirt or blanket. I've started the PC a many times with the shirt still covering the fans. I wonder if that messed with the fans. but yea the Yate's are over a year old.

Since my fans are Horizontal is there another type of fan that might be a better idea yet still cool a radiator well

GT's

but seriously I just run yates aswell, they are so cheap that if they break it doesnt matter whereas it's the oposite for the GT's (still regarded the best to be honest)

xguntherc
04-19-2010, 01:11 AM
well I'm just going to get 3 GT 1850's as they'll be quieter than the Yate Loon mediums. and I'm going to use my old Yate high speed fans for shrouds :D

gmat
04-19-2010, 01:21 AM
The GT's have a specific bearing noise, that reminds of Ultra Kaze if you ever heard those, or most high end ball bearing fans (Papst comes to mind as well). It's not loud by any means (it's still one of the most quiet fans out there) but it's definitely there above ~1050rpm.

xguntherc
04-19-2010, 01:34 AM
yea I heard the sound on the video posted above. still nothing compared to the YL's. thx though

shazza
04-19-2010, 04:07 AM
I'd just use the Yates unless you want to try something new. I have the GTs and Yates - the sound of the GTs is a bit less annoying to me, but Yates run at 1000 RPM or so are pretty quiet. While the Yates may not last as long, it's unlikely they will all die at once, so it's not like you would get a catastrophic failure.

xguntherc
04-19-2010, 09:01 AM
well I'm not running on a fan controller Shazza, so they are at full speed 24/7 and that is a little loud overall having 4 of them, 3 on a radiator.. ya know.

If I splice into the fan wires and tap one into the other and run them off a single molex. Will they both still run at full speed? cuz if I do 6 I'm going to want to cut down on all the power wires.

I already ordered 3 GT 1850's from Sidewinders. (didn't know they've been closed for 10 days) so not sure when it all will ship