PDA

View Full Version : Pump buying time.. thoughts?

Buckeyes1995
04-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I've looked at a lot of data and reviews and nothing really stands out.

My CPU/MB loop will use two pumps with a dual top.. thoughts on DDC vs. D5?

Probably going with an EK dual top.

avddreamr
04-16-2010, 08:03 PM
You mean D5? Are you cpu blocks/mb blocks highly restrictive?

Buckeyes1995
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
No, I'm going with EK blocks.. as low restriction as possible.

millertime359
04-16-2010, 08:28 PM
The D5 vs DDC has been a long contested battle.

Both have ups and downs, but end of day and seeing you plan to use 2, either will work fine.

My choice would be the DDCs as they are smaller and easier to fit. The DDC3.25s are suppose to be nice pumps.

The D5 vario is nice though as it has the speed control built it.

SoulsCollective
04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Given that you're planning to dual-pump with a relatively low restriction loop, there's going to be diddly-squat worth of real-world difference between each setup. Given that, my vote would go to dual DDCs, as they're smaller and easier to fit inside your case.

avddreamr
04-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Well, since you are going with a dual top/pump setup... and you are electing to construct a low restriction loop.
Here are my thoughts, Between a ddc 3.25 or D5 I would go with a D5, you may get better flow rates. However, since your loop is low restriction, you are probably not going to benefit enough from those low rates, and any gains may be offset by additional heat dump by your extra pump. (if you choose a restrictive cpu block, then you will benefit from the higher flow rates)
So in that case I would suggest dual ddc 3.1. A single ddc 3.1 with a good top will perform according to martins flow rate calculator about the same as a 3.2 in a low restriction loop (Example on Estimator Fuzion V2, Danger Den Ione, MCW30, PA120.3). I would assume that the new EK tops will perform as well as the XSPC tops from a few years ago. With above mentioned components and 7/16th tubing and one RES, you get about 1.7 gpm. In this case a ddc 3.2 without a top will give you less at 1.58, or 2gpm with a xspc top. A d5 at setting five (without a top) will give you 1.7gpm. There have been a few reviews where getting a dual top can net you close to 2:1 scaling.

So I would get a pair of ddc 3.1s, they should provide more than enough flow, and provide a relatively low heat dump.

good luck

Coil Spring
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
The D5 vs DDC has been a long contested battle.

Does any of this have to do with pump top material? I noticed in this PDF a D5 with a brass pump top/housing is capable of much higher pressures than a D5 with a plastic top.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/files/images/pumps/d5/D5_Vario.pdf

Waterlogged
04-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Does any of this have to do with pump top material? I noticed in this PDF a D5 with a brass pump top/housing is capable of much higher pressures than a D5 with a plastic top.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/files/images/pumps/d5/D5_Vario.pdf

That pressure rating is not what the pump produces but rather, the amount of pressure it can withstand before failing. The brass topped D5's actually are worse at creating head pressure than the Noryl (Plastic) ones.