PDA

View Full Version : water cooling (build) questions

owned666
04-15-2010, 05:12 PM
hi guyz :)

please only people with watercooling experience post

first question

which radiator is best ? (buying TWO and placing it on top of each other)
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c95/s570/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Radiators-120mm_Quadruple-Page1.html
and if its not on the list please tell me
ill buy two

pump (WHICH WILL LAST LONGER ) (im a person with a p500 history) :horse:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6190/ex-pmp-54/Swiftech_MCP655_12v_Water_Pump_w_Speed_Control_and _38_Conversion_Kit_317_GPH.html?tl=g30c107

or
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6660/ex-pmp-59/Innovatek_Eheim_HPPS_i_High_Power_12V_Water_Pump_5 01280.html?tl=g30c107

case
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=338&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=f

u can see that there is allot of space on top :)
will mod the lian li to accommodate the radiator

any suggestions for other parts please do tell

many thanks

defect9
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
what parts are you watercooling? have you read the stickies?

Petra
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Two individual Swiftech MCR320 radiators (not stacked) will outperform that GTX360 by a fair margin and be less expensive than both solutions you mention (though, your choice in fans may make things about the same price).

As for pumps, I'd go for the D5 (MCP655) over that custom Eheim unit... Side note: NewEgg and Jab-Tech have the MCP655 for $80 and Sidewinder has it for $77

Anyway, yeah, it does help to know what you're going to be cooling and what your goals are...

owned666
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
what parts are you watercooling? have you read the stickies?

water cooling gpu cpu (two 480s and one i7 930)
the sticky solved most of my problems
but not these :\

owned666
04-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Two individual Swiftech MCR320 radiators (not stacked) will outperform that GTX360 by a fair margin and be less expensive than both solutions you mention (though, your choice in fans may make things about the same price).

As for pumps, I'd go for the D5 (MCP655) over that custom Eheim unit... Side note: NewEgg and Jab-Tech have the MCP655 for $80 and Sidewinder has it for $77

Anyway, yeah, it does help to know what you're going to be cooling and what your goals are...

can u read the first post again please sry (EDIT)

Petra
04-15-2010, 06:24 PM
can u read the first post again please sry (EDIT)

Lets put it this way: In the majority of cases, you aren't going to see more than a degree or two difference between, say, a Swiftech MCR-series radiator and anything else on that list.

DarthBeavis
04-15-2010, 06:31 PM
buy a Thermaltake BigWater kit and call it good

Petra
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Spot on, +1, Thermaltake FTW! :up:

Interesting... we go from talking about enough radiator surface area to cool the engine of a Honda Civic to a watercooling kit barely capable of cooling my BlackBerry :eh:

antiacid
04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
don't use stacked radiators, they perform less well than having them not stacked. I recommend the mcp655-b because I've used 2 for the past 2 years without any issues whatsoever. For the rads, mcr320 has the best performance/price ratio on the market, and the actual performance is damned good. Can't go wrong with those.

Good luck!

owned666
04-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Spot on, +1, Thermaltake FTW! :up:

Interesting... we go from talking about enough radiator surface area to cool the engine of a Honda Civic to a watercooling kit barely capable of cooling my BlackBerry :eh:

hehe nice joke
didnt they give it 1 in almost every website

but come on guyz u barely answered my questions

so i should get a 480 rad only one not stacked since u guyz say thats bad
but i dont have a place for another 480 in the case how about a 180 radiator behind the front panel

But which radiator should i get (brand) one 480 and one 180 !!!!

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c95/s930/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Radiators-140mm_Dual-Page1.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c95/s570/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-PC_Water_Cooling_Radiators-120mm_Quadruple-Page1.html
thx

Soulwind
04-16-2010, 05:13 AM

Darth, now that's just mean. What if he believed you, how would you feel then? :p::(:eek:

seeka12
04-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Darth, now that's just mean. What if he believed you, how would you feel then? :p::(:eek:

i think that every user who want to water cool his computer should be taught that rule number 1 is to avoid anything made by thermaltake related to watercooling this is a fact like the one i was taught when i was 5 years old that "Sun rises in the east and sets in the west " :D

answering the OP question for high RPM fans get:Black Ice GTX
medium or Low RPM fans:Swiftech,Feser,Black Ice SR1

anyway i would suggest getting either swiftech or XSPC RX quad with gentle typhoons 120mm 1450 or 1850 RPM fans but for 140mm radiators i would get Black ice SR1 with Noctuca NF-P14 FLX

owned666
04-16-2010, 09:23 AM
i think that every user who want to water cool his computer should be taught that rule number 1 is to avoid anything made by thermaltake related to watercooling this is a fact like the one i was taught when i was 5 years old that "Sun rises in the east and sets in the west " :D

answering the OP question for high RPM fans get:Black Ice GTX
medium or Low RPM fans:Swiftech,Feser,Black Ice SR1

anyway i would suggest getting either swiftech or XSPC RX quad with gentle typhoons 120mm 1450 or 1850 RPM fans but for 140mm radiators i would get Black ice SR1 with Noctuca NF-P14 FLX

izayak yala el ta7eyah min el emarat
the perfect reply
people should learn from you
im going with the XSPC is the typhoon one u recommended as silent as the noctua since i dont like noise
and about the 140 mm fans the lian li comes with two of them already installed is it essential to change them ?

many thanks :up:

seeka12
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Actually the gentle typhoons aren't loud but it depends on your sensitivity for noise but the gentle typhoons are really good fans and i would suggest getting a fan controller like the Lamptron FC-5 to control the fans ,about the lian li fans they pull aroun 40 CFM of air so it isn't that good if you don't want to buy much money yateloon medium fans are good but they won't last very long and are you from united arab emirates ?

owned666
04-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually the gentle typhoons aren't loud but it depends on your sensitivity for noise but the gentle typhoons are really good fans and i would suggest getting a fan controller like the Lamptron FC-5 to control the fans ,about the lian li fans they pull aroun 40 CFM of air so it isn't that good if you don't want to buy much money yateloon medium fans are good but they won't last very long and are you from united arab emirates ?

thx for the info
i dont care about money whats important to me is longevity and silence/performance
what do u think of these
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s562/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-120mm_x_38mm_Fans-Page1.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s775/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-140mm_x_25mm_Fans-Page1.html

and yes im from the UAE

owned666
04-16-2010, 06:42 PM
i feel evil after thinking of buying this :devil: (since im never going to change the radiator why not buy the best )

Black IceŽ SR1 560 Radiator
or
Black IceŽ GTX Gen Two Xtreme 560

both are made for low fan speed

i just need to know what fan is best for this seeka12

what do u think (yes the case is wide enough)

Conumdrum
04-16-2010, 06:59 PM
SR1 is made for low speed, the GTX is NOT made for low speed.

Maybe you should learn a bit more before deciding.

I spent 3 months learning before buying my first part.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

seeka12
04-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Actually as conumdrum stated the GTX series are made for high CFM fans that are very noisy so your choice would be to get the SR1 560 with medium or low RPM fans if you aren't going to get a fan controller but getting a quad 120mm with gentle typhoon 1450 fans cooling the 2 GTX 480 cards and getting another one for the CPU maybe a double 140mm radiator if you won't be able to fit a triple 120mm with the quad anyway if you wanted to go with the Black ice SR1 560 then get some good fans like the noctuca's 140mm but meaning that it is the best doesn't mean that it will be the best for you,IMO the best for you would be a quad XSPC for the 2 GTX 480 cards and a triple 120mm or double 140mm for the CPU

Edit:what case are you using?the gtx 560 is actually about 605mm long so i don't think that it will fit internally in a normal case,so it would be much better if you could tell us what is the Case you are using so we can make sure what is the best radiators setup for you that will fit in the case

And you live in UAE,that's cool my brother is working in Dubai :D

owned666
04-17-2010, 03:43 AM
SR1 is made for low speed, the GTX is NOT made for low speed.

Maybe you should learn a bit more before deciding.

I spent 3 months learning before buying my first part.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

the only reason i said it was made for low speed fans is because it said so in the website
Achieves Black IceŽ Xtreme level performance in stealth mode (low-noise/low-airflow conditions).

owned666
04-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Actually as conumdrum stated the GTX series are made for high CFM fans that are very noisy so your choice would be to get the SR1 560 with medium or low RPM fans if you aren't going to get a fan controller but getting a quad 120mm with gentle typhoon 1450 fans cooling the 2 GTX 480 cards and getting another one for the CPU maybe a double 140mm radiator if you won't be able to fit a triple 120mm with the quad anyway if you wanted to go with the Black ice SR1 560 then get some good fans like the noctuca's 140mm but meaning that it is the best doesn't mean that it will be the best for you,IMO the best for you would be a quad XSPC for the 2 GTX 480 cards and a triple 120mm or double 140mm for the CPU

Edit:what case are you using?the gtx 560 is actually about 605mm long so i don't think that it will fit internally in a normal case,so it would be much better if you could tell us what is the Case you are using so we can make sure what is the best radiators setup for you that will fit in the case

And you live in UAE,that's cool my brother is working in Dubai :D
oh i forgot about the length darn
the only reason i want this is because installing the 280 radiator will mean bye bye 3.25 bays where will i put my drives
yeah i can manage to put 1 drive in the 5.25 bay but thats it
i guess i have to manage in the future

oh well ok like u said
the xspc with typhoon fans and the gtx
and noctua for the black ice

(is it a problem if they are all in the same loop or will it be better if i buy 2 pumps 280 for cpu and 480 for the gtx cards ?
+what gpu block is better ? since the 480 is a new card no reviews for blocks are out yet should i stick with koolance ?
ok thx for the help
this is my list

6 gb corsair
evga x58 LE
silverstone 1500 watt
i7 930
two gtx 480
lian li PC-A71F
ill send it to westcostmods before sending it to aramex
tygon tubes
cpu block koolance 360 (
rads
pump (forgot name :P )
tank

owned666
04-17-2010, 04:04 AM
look at these builds + these are the builds in my account

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnObjewvTdg

it took 6 months to find tubes to fit lol

it will be great if u watch all the builds :)
not all are mine some are just builds from other people
but the link i sent is my brothers build

and yes i fixed the wiring :)

seeka12
04-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Actually if i were you i would get

EK Supreme HF instead of the koolance CPU-360
EK or Dangerden blocks for the gtx 480
EK multi option 225 Reservoir
DDC 3.25 pump
Ek top for DDC pumps
primochill LRT 7/16" or XSPC 7/16"(choose the color you want)
XSPC RX 480
Black Ice SR1 280
20xBitspower 7/16" ID 5/8 OD compression fittings
couple of 45 and 90 degree rotaries or compression fittings(Bitspower ones have huge problems about them leaking so consider something like koolance or Enzotech)

edit:if you don't want to pay for the compression fittings then get Danger den or bitspower FB(fatboy)barbs 1/2" ID 5/8 OD and you can use this setup without clamps or if you want to be more secure then get koolance metal clamps

one loop for 2 gtx 480 and one i7 930 is good you don't need another loop

as for the 140mm fans get noctuca NF-p14 or Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-2 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1200 RPM or Scythe "KAZE MARU 2" 140mm Case Fan medium 1200 RPM

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Actually if i were you i would get

EK Supreme HF instead of the koolance CPU-360
EK or Dangerden blocks for the gtx 480
EK multi option 225 Reservoir
DDC 3.25 pump
Ek top for DDC pumps
primochill LRT 7/16"(choose the color you want)
XSPC RX 480
Black Ice SR1 280
20xBitspower 7/16" ID 5/8 OD compression fittings
couple of 45 and 90 degree rotaries or compression fittings(Bitspower ones have huge problems about them leaking so consider something like koolance or Enzotech)

one loop for 2 gtx 480 and one i7 930 is good you don't need another loop

as for the 140mm fans get noctuca NF-p14 or Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-2 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 1200 RPM or Scythe "KAZE MARU 2" 140mm Case Fan medium 1200 RPM

do u have some personal vendetta against Koolance ?
do u have any reviews for the EK to prove that its better ?
i know from exp that the EK for the 775 was dependent on water pressure for better cooling and the fusion v2 was much better than it (2c) better and a much better waterflow

and i agree on everything else but what do u think about this
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6660/ex-pmp-59/Innovatek_Eheim_HPPS_i_High_Power_12V_Water_Pump_5 01280.html?tl=g30c107

seeka12
04-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Actually koolance CPU-360 is good and i think that there will be no difference between it and the EK supreme HF and if there is one it would be 1-2 C at most for EK so get the one you want and as for the gtx 480 i have always favored EK and Dangerden over the koolance but IMO you should wait to see what are the results who knows maybe the koolance will beat the Danger den and EK ones ;)

Edit:the Ek block i am talking about isn't the EK supreme it is the EK Supreme HF which is the better one and it has been recently released and it is the best waterblock on the market from not much time a month or 2 if i remember correctly and it has a very good flow and it is really good

seeka12
04-17-2010, 05:27 AM
Forget about the Eheim pumps they are something from the past and all the people have proven them to be not that goodthe best pump now is the DDC3.25 with XSPC or EK top but BTW it might sound noisy for you

best pumps in order from the best: (these are the only pumps i would consider if i were you)

DDC3.25 with XSPC or EK top
DDC 3.2 or MCP355 with XSPC or EK top
MCP655

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Actually koolance CPU-360 is good and i think that there will be no difference between it and the EK supreme HF and if there is one it would be 1-2 C at most either for the EK or koolance so get the one you want and as for the gtx 480 i have always favored EK and Dangerden over the koolance but IMO you should wait to see what are the results who knows maybe the koolance will beat the Danger den and EK ones ;)

Edit:the Ek block i am talking about isn't the EK supreme it is the EK Supreme HF which is the better one and it has been recently released from not much time a month or 2 if i remember correctly and it has a very good flow and it is really good

did u see the youtube link ?

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:32 AM
Forget about the Eheim pumps they are something from the past and all the people have proven them to be not that goodthe best pump now is the DDC3.25 with XSPC or EK top but BTW it might sound noisy for you

best pumps in order from the best:(these are the only pumps i would consider if i were you)

DDC3.25 with XSPC or EK top
DDC 3.2 or MCP355 with XSPC or EK top
MCP655

wow the mcp655 is the worst ?
but everbody uses them
and the DDC3.25 looks sooo small
and dosnt look liek it has enough power

seeka12
04-17-2010, 05:34 AM
don't get me wrong they are all good but personally i prefer the DDC pumps with XSPC or EK top over the MCP655 and not all the people use them people use the DDC ones more

Edit:these are the best 3 pumps in the market after the Iwaki RD-30 and IWaki Rd-20 pump so don't think that there is a single one of them which is considered not excellent

Edit:the DDC 3.25 doesn't have enough power!!!!!! i wish some of the DDC 3.25 users will get in the thread to tell you that the DDC 3.25 with either the EK or XSPC top is the best pump after the iwaki's

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:37 AM
don't get me wrong they are all good but personally i prefer the DDC pumps with XSPC or EK top over the MCP655 and not all the people use them people use the DDC ones more

Edit:these are the best 3 pumps in the market after the Iwaki RD-30 pump so don't think that there is a single one of them which is considered not excellent

ok great thx for the help
and are all the radiator tubes copper right ?
+ the EK and the koolance blocks nickle plated (no corrosion)

seeka12
04-17-2010, 05:41 AM
don't forget to get the thermal paste (the easiest one to apply and is really excellent is the MX-3)and use only distilled water with either PT nuke or Silver coils and if you don't want to ruin your parts then don't use dyes or premixes only distilled water with either pt nuke or silver coils and no corrosion should occur at all with the parts i listed

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:43 AM
don't forget to get the thermal paste MX-3 and use only distilled water with either PT nuke or Silver coils

yeah i was gona get the mx-3 anyway
and no im gona get faser coolant
1 c difference in temps but im not willing to get dyes for uv etc
im gona go with red :)
the pc from hell xD

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:48 AM
yes but there will be no corrosion if the blocks were nickle plated

if the radiators tubes are copper and the heatsinks are copper or nickle then there wont be a problem

ill just stay away from aluminum

seeka12
04-17-2010, 05:52 AM
yea stay away from aluminum and if you don't believe me the Feser coolant can make a disaster in your blocks if you don't believe me then open a new thread with this and ask and i bet you that everyone will tell you colored tubing and distilled water with PTnuke or silver coils are the best for your loop and blocks :) i am just trying to help and the feser coolant is bad

Edit:many users of Xtremesystems suffered alot from these things like the feser coolant and sometimes they cause corrosion and the dye gets separated and it looks bad and make bad effect on your blocks

owned666
04-17-2010, 05:55 AM
yea stay away from aluminum and if you don't believe me the Feser coolant can make a disaster in your blocks if you don't believe me then open a new thread with this and ask and i bet you that everyone will tell you colored tubing and distilled water with PTnuke or silver coils are the best for your loop and blocks :) i am just trying to help and the feser coolant is bad

wait so ur saying there is no liquid (colored in any way dye or coolant) that is good in terms of how it reacts with my wc system.....

this makes no sense at all
in the sticky when they reviewed this colored coolant every one went ape:banana::banana::banana::banana: for it and wanted to buy it
or is it just faser

seeka12
04-17-2010, 06:02 AM
actually feser coolant is the best one but IMO it isn't 100% safe to use so why do you risk ?IMO colored tubing is just good it might not be as good looking as the feser coolant in the tygon but at least it is 100000000% safe build when you use colored tubing with distilled and ptnuke or silver coils

edit:see what happened in this thread http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/597440-reason-only-used-distlled-water.html because of using Feser coolant

owned666
04-17-2010, 06:09 AM
actually feser coolant is the best one but IMO it isn't 100% safe to use so why do you risk ?IMO colored tubing is just good it might not be as good looking as the feser coolant in the tygon but at least it is 100000000% safe build when you use colored tubing with distilled and ptnuke or silver coils

well u see when u used uv coolant the tubes look frozen solid
+ there isnt any uv reactive tygon tubes

unless u know where i can get a uv reactive tube that is as good as the legendary flexible tygon

+ look at this frigin genius
he used a combination of Danger Den UV Blue Clear Tubing and Aquatuning Protect UV Blue.
http://s5b.directupload.net/images/090211/m6n8bl5s.jpg
http://s2b.directupload.net/images/090211/vuqqmvd3.jpg
http://s10.directupload.net/images/090211/nsk6qma4.jpg

what do u think of the danger den tubes are they as good ?

seeka12
04-17-2010, 06:19 AM
the best colored tubing is the primochill LRT and feser 7/16" tubing(actually the feser and dangerden tubings are the same :D) http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_413_292&zenid=32a5f76dc4423bef000317e2df232aae and i know that the colored coolant looks better but you have to sacrifice looks for performance ;)

owned666
04-17-2010, 06:24 AM
the best colored tubing is the primochill LRT and feser 7/16" tubing(actually the feser and dangerden tubings are the same :D) http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_413_292&zenid=32a5f76dc4423bef000317e2df232aae and i know that the colored coolant looks better but you have to sacrifice looks for performance ;)

btw this will seem like a shocker but im completely ignorant about sizes
barbs fittings tubes sizes etc
can u link me a guide to understand all of these things

ok lets go to this thread and talk there
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4345550#post4345550