PDA

View Full Version : hd 720p or 1080i

gillll
04-15-2010, 06:18 AM
hi all,

i finally got myself a nice 42" fullhd - lg lh50 series.

and got myself hd sat which can output 720p and 1080i

anyone has experience with it ?

anyone see the difference ?

ripken204
04-15-2010, 07:35 AM
just determine what you like best, that is what truly matters in the end.

gillll
04-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Of course :) but had u saw?
I mean there is a visible difference between 1080p and 720p when pc is the source but on sat hd ? 1080i vs 720p
Btw is there 1080p broadcast ?

werdwerdus
04-15-2010, 03:18 PM
i would say go for 1080i for most tv viewing.

zanzabar
04-15-2010, 03:28 PM
i would say 1080i unless u have deinterlacing problems, as thats what is normally broadcast. if u have an xbox or ps3 and u have to choose for games i would do 720p.

for broadcast there is 1080p but i dont think that any1 uses it except for special sporting events

Soulburner
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
I have mine set to display whatever the channel is broadcasting, and leave the image in its current aspect.

Its normally 1080i for "HD" channels.

YukonTrooper
04-15-2010, 05:13 PM
You can take the time to figure out what resolution the various HD channels broadcast and change it every time you need to per channel, or you can set it to 1080i and forget about it, as that's the resolution most HD channels are in. Even if your TV deinterlaces with errors, the errors are usually very, very hard to spot. Plus, a TV playing native 1080i content with deinterlacing errors will still look better than a TV playing the same content deinterlaced and downscaled by the HD PVR and sent to the TV at 720P.

zanzabar
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
satellite wont let u set what your tv can do then do whatever is broadcast if your tv can do it like dst tv or cable boxes will do? on my cable box i just enabled everything but 480i and it up converts 480i to 480p then leaves everything else alone

NKrader
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
720p.. yes

1080i sucks.

YukonTrooper
04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
satellite wont let u set what your tv can do then do whatever is broadcast if your tv can do it like dst tv or cable boxes will do? on my cable box i just enabled everything but 480i and it up converts 480i to 480p then leaves everything else alone
Yes, you're right about this. My satellite HD PVR (Starchoice) box does this automatically as well. However, some HD PVR's, like the OP's, must be manually set for 720P or 1080i. In fact, my digital cable HD PVR had to be manually set as well.

720p.. yes

1080i sucks.
I disagree, among many HD enthusiasts who do as well.

You must backup your claims! :nono:

Nanometer
04-15-2010, 10:57 PM
720p.. yes

1080i sucks.

that is damning evidence.... im sold!

NKrader
04-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I disagree, among many HD enthusiasts who do as well.

You must backup your claims! :nono:

that is damning evidence.... im sold!

ive just ran em both and 1080i on the regular looks alot worse on good hardware and screen. :shakes:

werdwerdus
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
ive just ran em both and 1080i on the regular looks alot worse on good hardware and screen. :shakes:

what does this statement even mean? i can't figure it out.

Knight203
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
1080i is what I have found to look the best. But as has been posted its all up to the end user (you).

Nanometer
04-16-2010, 08:16 PM
what does this statement even mean? i can't figure it out.

what don't you understand? He ran them regular :D lol shrug...

zanzabar
04-16-2010, 11:01 PM
it really depends on the tv that u have, on a 1080p set if u have one thats bad at deinterlacing then 1080i look terrible when compared to 720p, but if something is native 1080i and u watch it in 720p it looks kinda funky.

u cant say globally that one is better than the other, if u have a new lcd or a plasma or projection then 1080i should be better unless u have things moving extremely fast on the screen (normally things arnt that fast on broadcast tv), but if u have an older lcd with bad deinterlacing then 720p would be your pick. for a dvr though dosnt 720p take up less space and would u even notice the difference from 480p

gillll
04-17-2010, 09:25 PM
i guess zanzabar is right after all 1080i has higher resolution then 720p and a good lcd which support all formats will show 1080i better.

720p is better in terms of stability but has alot less pixels.
and you can't compensate on that.

Donnie27
04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
i guess zanzabar is right after all 1080i has higher resolution then 720p and a good lcd which support all formats will show 1080i better.

720p is better in terms of stability but has alot less pixels.
and you can't compensate on that.

:yepp: Zanzabar is right and 1080i is good enough for Broadcast since not much is even video-ed above that. This may sound funny, wrong and even mistyped but Comcast Cable here in Little Rock AR, just downgraded our service and increased the rates yet again. Everything is 480P LOL! I'd love to have 1080i again. Please folks hurry up with U-Verse! Or something:rolleyes:

They're getting ready to encrypt their signal and even digital ready TV's still have to have their little Black Boxes. :rofl:

zanzabar
04-21-2010, 10:17 AM
:yepp: Zanzabar is right and 1080i is good enough for Broadcast since not much is even video-ed above that. This may sound funny, wrong and even mistyped but Comcast Cable here in Little Rock AR, just downgraded our service and increased the rates yet again. Everything is 480P LOL! I'd love to have 1080i again. Please folks hurry up with U-Verse! Or something:rolleyes:

They're getting ready to encrypt their signal and even digital ready TV's still have to have their little Black Boxes. :rofl:

they did that were i am its so lame, u can only get local channels without a box and they raised the price on the box from $3 for sd $5 for HD to $7.50 a month for each. so its like $120 for basic HD service and internet if u get the promo rate then another $20-30 for boxes if u have 4 tvs (1 free, then buying 3). the FCC really needs to go through with making it so people can buy boxes as the moto 110 that comcast gives out now costs them $50-65 per box so they make a huge profit on them and dvrs are worse since they never change them and give the worst ones that they can get to save money.

if they changed the nonHD channels to 480p HD feeds and took the news/comcast/music channels down to 480p also i would gladly take that. but if they took the movie, sports and science channels that actually use HD to a useful effect down to 480p that would suck

Donnie27
04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
they did that were i am its so lame, u can only get local channels without a box and they raised the price on the box from $3 for sd $5 for HD to $7.50 a month for each. so its like $120 for basic HD service and internet if u get the promo rate then another $20-30 for boxes if u have 4 tvs (1 free, then buying 3). the FCC really needs to go through with making it so people can buy boxes as the moto 110 that comcast gives out now costs them $50-65 per box so they make a huge profit on them and dvrs are worse since they never change them and give the worst ones that they can get to save money.

if they changed the nonHD channels to 480p HD feeds and took the news/comcast/music channels down to 480p also i would gladly take that. but if they took the movie, sports and science channels that actually use HD to a useful effect down to 480p that would suck

:yepp: You got it! If you don't have Digital Cable, even Free Broadcasts that or 720P and 1080i are blocked! The basic cable and 6megabits Broadband is $105 and change. If it weren't for the broadband service, I'd have dumped them two years ago. I've already warned them that as soon as U-Verse and the other's newer faster systems for the Internet/downloads reach my area, they're outta' here!

dexster
04-23-2010, 06:25 PM
720p.. yes

1080i sucks.

yes and no

yes - when using my rear projection crt tv i was of the definate belief that thing 'i' was suck because the flicker really really pisses me off
hence 'p' was better

but

no - when i got an lcd panel as mentioned the 'HD' digital channels are broadcast in an 'i' format and it no longer bothers me as much, to the point where if something is broadcast in both standard and HD i prefer the HD

moral of story... try it out for yourself and work out what u like best (i mean it your tv and u will be watching)

Donnie27
04-28-2010, 05:15 AM
yes and no

yes - when using my rear projection crt tv i was of the definate belief that thing 'i' was suck because the flicker really really pisses me off
hence 'p' was better

but

no - when i got an lcd panel as mentioned the 'HD' digital channels are broadcast in an 'i' format and it no longer bothers me as much, to the point where if something is broadcast in both standard and HD i prefer the HD

moral of story... try it out for yourself and work out what u like best (i mean it your tv and u will be watching)

That's what we're talking about when we said "1080i was blocked with the new cable boxes". I like 1080i on my LCD better than either 720 "i" or "p" and I got the run around when I asked Comcast why were the doing this? "This" being lets say CBS equals 10, then there's an HD 1080i version of CBS on 10-1 (Sub or Alternate channel), extra CBS programing on 10-2. Most of the channels have or had an HD Version/s. Before this BS from Comcast, channels 34, 35, 106, 107 and others would feature anywhere from 4 to 8 Sub channels. I can't find any of these channels now. I have to disconnect the Main Box to watch 1080i or EVERYTHING from Comcast now is 480p:rolleyes:

schlafmuetze
06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
uh, ima post my 2 cents here aswell
do you guys even know the difference between P and I?
p means progressive where the whole screen gets "refreshed" in T whereas T means time
i means interlaced where only 50% of the screen get "refreshed" in T whereas T means time
so i needs double the time for the whole screen -.-

720p has sth like 1366x768
1080P has 1920x1080 HOORAY
1080i has also 1920x1080 but only 50% refreshed but lets divide it by 2(just for the theory) -> 960x540P which is ~~~lower than 720p
that is why some of you might think 1080i suxx against 720p
you could even experience "lag" when watching 1080i(but i dont know good enough to tell you)
so basically i would say take P over I
the other problem is: if you got a fullhd tv with support for resolution 1920x1080 and you scale 1366x768 up to 1920x1080 on it.. daium it wont look as good

as some other said, just test for yourself and take that which looks better =D

hope this could clarify the i and p thing a bit

Donnie27
06-07-2010, 08:27 AM
uh, ima post my 2 cents here aswell
do you guys even know the difference between P and I?
p means progressive where the whole screen gets "refreshed" in T whereas T means time
i means interlaced where only 50% of the screen get "refreshed" in T whereas T means time
so i needs double the time for the whole screen -.-

720p has sth like 1366x768
1080P has 1920x1080 HOORAY
1080i has also 1920x1080 but only 50% refreshed but lets divide it by 2(just for the theory) -> 960x540P which is ~~~lower than 720p
that is why some of you might think 1080i suxx against 720p
you could even experience "lag" when watching 1080i(but i dont know good enough to tell you)
so basically i would say take P over I
the other problem is: if you got a fullhd tv with support for resolution 1920x1080 and you scale 1366x768 up to 1920x1080 on it.. daium it wont look as good

as some other said, just test for yourself and take that which looks better =D

hope this could clarify the i and p thing a bit

Erum some of us do LOL! I had to show some guy at my house even. All so called 100% digital for the Basic Customers is a fat lie! ALL of my channels limited to 480i=P My TV shows every signal feed to it converted or not. The only Pure 1080P signal I get is Blueray and Computer feeds from my HTPC. I've gotten 1080i and 720P signals over the Air and they both look great to me:) The current 480i cable limits/blocks suc#'s a big one.

When all is said and done, no one gives a #uck about the specs, down scaling, refresh rates, resolution and or any any#ucking thing else. The only thing that really matters is how good the Picture looks.

zanzabar
06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
getting 100% means that they use all qam or satalite or dsl TV, that kind of digital when converted for display will go to whatever it was converted from but that dose not help the customer it makes it so they can have more channels on less bandwidth. when comcast changed from ntsc cable to qam there was a drop in picture and audio quality from when they were sent analogue over the cable network but it let them add like 40 HD and 20-30 non HD channels or thats what they said, but i think that they made the move to make it so every1 needed a box or a digital TV making u have to rent a box for all old tvs then they took all of the HD channels even the expanded basic that u have to have the non HD and they encrypted them for the express purpose of making people get boxes.

those boxes for cable companies are a huge source of profit they cost in bulk $60-100 per box for an HD moto box and the rng110 (the current top box for comcast) is close to the $60 side, then they charge $7/0 per box so thats like an extra month of cable that u have to pay per box per year. the FCC needs to take care of this and let people buy their own boxes that work with cable encryption again.

SnipingWaste
06-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Go with 1080i. the HD tv shows are recorded with 1080i.

Donnie27
06-13-2010, 12:37 PM
getting 100% means that they use all qam or satalite or dsl TV, that kind of digital when converted for display will go to whatever it was converted from but that dose not help the customer it makes it so they can have more channels on less bandwidth. when comcast changed from ntsc cable to qam there was a drop in picture and audio quality from when they were sent analogue over the cable network but it let them add like 40 HD and 20-30 non HD channels or thats what they said, but i think that they made the move to make it so every1 needed a box or a digital TV making u have to rent a box for all old tvs then they took all of the HD channels even the expanded basic that u have to have the non HD and they encrypted them for the express purpose of making people get boxes.

those boxes for cable companies are a huge source of profit they cost in bulk $60-100 per box for an HD moto box and the rng110 (the current top box for comcast) is close to the $60 side, then they charge $7/0 per box so thats like an extra month of cable that u have to pay per box per year. the FCC needs to take care of this and let people buy their own boxes that work with cable encryption again.

Each additional box here in Arkansas is $2. Yes I think the reason for these boxes is an increase without it being an increase.

The low quality signal is what sucks and it is also a way to try and force folks to into the higher priced *real Digital service!

zanzabar
06-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Each additional box here in Arkansas is $2. Yes I think the reason for these boxes is an increase without it being an increase.

The low quality signal is what sucks and it is also a way to try and force folks to into the higher priced *real Digital service!

is that for a real box that dose all of the encrypted channels u subscribe to and on demand or the clear qam box that has no guide and it basically useless.

and what do u mean real digital, u cannot really cheap out on digital and analogue generally has better IQ for non HD channels and its still watchable if u have a bad signal. what sucks is if u have a bad signal and digital then u get no audio and giant pixel blocks when it acts up

Donnie27
06-15-2010, 05:26 AM
is that for a real box that dose all of the encrypted channels u subscribe to and on demand or the clear qam box that has no guide and it basically useless.

and what do u mean real digital, u cannot really cheap out on digital and analogue generally has better IQ for non HD channels and its still watchable if u have a bad signal. what sucks is if u have a bad signal and digital then u get no audio and giant pixel blocks when it acts up

Here's what these boxes really work--->"Cabling to Use For a Standard Definition (SD) Set-Top Box." Here's what this Digital SD box does.
All of the channels are encrypted. Blocks even digital ready TV Sets.
You can't use the cable feed without a set top of some kind from Comcast. One large box connected to a Telephone line and smaller units for each additional TV. Two of these are free, each additional unit is $2 per month. The average American household has 4.5 TV sets. I have 4.

All of the channels are limited to 480i. Even the over the Air HD feeds are Down-scaled by Comcast to 480i.:rolleyes:

All channels' Audio is Down-Scaled to mono and again, even when the original is telecast-ed in Stereo or even 5.1.

I'm saying that this is purposely done to encourage folks to upgrade to one of the higher quality HD Digital Services. The Standard Box has NO BUSINESS down scaling any mothe#uck!ng #od$amit thing:mad: I understand them doing their own Cable channels this way but noway they should be down-scaling ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and etc.....:mad:

QIs Digital Cable the same thing as High-Definition Television (HDTV)?

ANo. HDTV refers to a specific kind of digital signal format that requires a special television set.

Digital Cable works with the cable already wired to your television so it does not require a special type of television set; however, digital cable does require a set-bop box or digital converter.

AmiJIm
07-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Between 720p and 1080p media files,i prefer 1080p for providing a much clearer picture.

werdwerdus
07-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Between 720p and 1080p media files,i prefer 1080p for providing a much clearer picture.

http://i26.tinypic.com/10hkgwg.jpg

Jamesrt2004
07-25-2010, 01:36 AM
essentially for me it depends on the source I mean a youtube 320p video can look better than 1080p on there.. but if it's just in general, then I personally would have 720P over 1080i..

Donnie27
07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
essentially for me it depends on the source I mean a youtube 320p video can look better than 1080p on there.. but if it's just in general, then I personally would have 720P over 1080i..

Is 720p vs 1080i worth being concerned about? Yes and no. If you're a consumer looking for a new TV, you can happily ignore the 720p vs 1080i debate because every TV which is described as HDTV or HDTV Ready is required to support both formats.

NOTE: You should be aware though that lots of TVs which support 1080i have fewer than 1080 lines and so scale the 1080 signal down. That's not a huge issue as even scaled down 1080i is far ahead of a regular NTSC signal. It is worth bearing in mind that more expensive HDTVs tend to have better scalers than cheaper ones, and this may be an issue.

However, for broadcasters it's a live issue. Should they broadcast 1080 lines of interlaced video or 720 lines of progressive scan? They could just broadcast two signals, one in each format, but that would use up a huge chunk of bandwidth and be hugely expensive for very little gain.

To answer the question, it's important to understand the difference between 720p vs 1080i. A 720p signal is made up of 720 horizontal lines. Each frame is displayed in its entirety on-screen for 1/30th of a second. This is know as progressive scan (hence the 'p')The quality is like watching 30 photographic images a second on TV. A 1080i signal comprises 1080 horizontal lines but all the lines are not displayed on-screen simultaneously. Instead, they are interlaced (hence the 'i'), ie every other lines is displayed for 1/60th of a second and then the alternate lines are displayed for 1/60th of a second. So, the frame rate is still 30 frames per second, but each frame is split into two fields, which your brain then puts together subconsciously.

Most of the time interlacing works fine, but for fast moving images, such as sports like baseball and hockey it can cause problems which manifest themselves as a 'stepping' effect on-screen. Progressive scan signals don't have this problem and so are better suited to sports.

ESPN puts it like this: 'Progressive scan technology produces better images for the fast moving orientation of sports television. Simply put, with 104 mph fastballs in baseball and 120 mph shots on goal in hockey, the line-by-line basis of progressive scan technology better captures the inherent fast action of sports. For ESPN, progressive scan technology makes perfect sense.'

Bottom line? For us, as consumers 720p vs 1080i is not a debate worth worrying about, so you can relax and focus on all the other criteria on your list when you buy your next HDTV.

Kenny Hemphill runs Discounted Web Hosting and is the editor and publisher of The HDTV Tuner - a guide to the kit, the technology and the programming on HDTV.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kenny_Hemphill

I used to get those higher signal sent out, now I don't! I haven't really noticed a hill of beans difference between 720P and 1080i. Please note, I do where glasses LOL!