PDA

View Full Version : Need some coolant/liquid selection advice

Flash2k6
04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I've had a couple of Koolance EXOS water cooling systems in the past, and I wasn't too impressed with the free standing external unit concept, they also came pre-bundled with coolant, so it was pretty basic no brainer builds. Put it together, flush the system a few times, throw in the provided coolant and viola you have a basic setup.

I've decided to build a completely custom setup this time around, and I'm stuck on one last element of the build, the liquid/coolant selection.

I've been reading threads for a ridiculous number of hours regarding coolants, but most of the guides, faq's and various sites are 2-4 years old and they're all over the map.

So my question is .. does someone have a brief summary on the optimal method of selecting the liquid for cooling... that is fairly current?

Is distilled water + Water Wetter still good? Distilled water + Zerex Racing Coolant? Pre-mixed coolants, ie: Primochill ICE, or Feser One? If you use a pre-mixed solution is that all you use or do you mix distilled water with it?

Is distilled water + Water Wetter ALL you need or do you need to mix in other additives?

If the information I've read is still accurate, I'm thinking distilled water + Water Wetter might be the best solution (mostly because Zerex isn't a common over the counter product and has to be ordered from specific places).

I've got all of my parts to build a completely custom setup, the only part I'm stuck on is what coolant/liquid method to choose.

Any links, suggestions, or guidance in on this would be great, and if you go distilled + Water Wetter or Zerex what's the mix ratio? I know it's 1:20 for Zerex, what about Water Wetter?

Thanks

millertime359
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
No to water wetter.

All you need now is distilled water with either PT Nuke or .999% silver.

Anti freeze is only used if you are running a chiller or you have mixed metals. Copper, Nickel, and brass are all fine. Stainless steel or aluminum is the only concern and the only thing I have really seen is that is a res from XSPC and some old Thermaltake and old Koolance stuff.

Flash2k6
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Is that still the case if you are using Primochills LRT tubing? I assume no PT Nuke or Silver if using that tubing due to it's Anti Microbial properties?

Appreciate your response.

millertime359
04-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Is that still the case if you are using Primochills LRT tubing? I assume no PT Nuke or Silver if using that tubing due to it's Anti Microbial properties?

Appreciate your response.

Still want to use the silver or PT Nuke as that coating is really only for keeping things from growing on the tubing. It really doesn't add any anti microbiological to the water so you still run the risk of things growing in the res, rad, and blocks.

If you don't want to pay for the shipping, you can go to a fish store and buy the anti-microbiological stuff for fish tanks. That is really all PT Nuke is.

Just make certain you don't use more than a couple of drops.

There are also silver plated BP fittings out there too that work just fine. You'll want to get at least 2, 3-4 would be better if you don't want to order the kill coils, but anything that is .999% silver works. So you can even go to a local jeweler and see if they have a strip they can sell you.

EvilClocker
04-15-2010, 06:54 AM
whats the ratio of water/antifreeze when mixing metals ? I am using some Exos 2.5 units. and I have some copper block so I Trying to figure out whats the right Ratio and what to buy at the part store

Petra
04-15-2010, 07:08 AM
whats the ratio of water/antifreeze when mixing metals ? I am using some Exos 2.5 units. and I have some copper block so I Trying to figure out whats the right Ratio and what to buy at the part store

A final solution of between 10% and 20% antifreeze in water usually works out alright. If you weren't mixing metals but still wanted to use antifreeze, I'd suggest around 5%.

EvilClocker
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
petra, what type of antifreeze should i get ? trying to figure out in 1 gallon jug how much antifreeze i need

Petra
04-15-2010, 08:15 AM
petra, what type of antifreeze should i get ? trying to figure out in 1 gallon jug how much antifreeze i need

You can get pretty much any automotive antifreeze you want... though, I'd stay away from WaterWetter and DexCool. Whenever I'm messing around with mixed metals and not employing industrial anti-corrosives (like GE-Betz Continuum), I usually end up using BMW/Mercedes coolant (same stuff), VW/Audi coolant, or Pentosin since I always have at least one of those three around for cars.

As for figuring out how much you need, put 0.2 gallons (~25 fl. oz.) of straight antifreeze (not 50/50 premix) into your gallon jug and fill the rest of the jug with distilled... that'll give you a ~20% solution.