PDA

View Full Version : Help us beat the snort off IBM and others Supercomputers

snoro
04-13-2010, 05:39 AM
So you got a need high end build and you really like it.

Since you are reading this section i bet your rig is watercooled or you are planning to watercool it.

Then what about Helping Dave and WCG team to show IBM and The Big supercomputer that a great community of Computer lover have as computer power.

The objective is to use your computer for the XtremeSystems WCG grid just a week from May 1st to May 8th. It dosent have to be working at 100% 24/7, we are not stopping you gaming, we just want your help during this week to show the big guys that we have a huge power of computation here at XtremeSystems if everyone get in. We are trying to get 1 million ppd. Or in others word around the computing power of 30k-40k P4 rig.

The cost: well about 2$ of electricity for the week and thats about it.

It dosent stop there, WCG is dristibuted-computing program for research of cure for Muscular Dystrophy, Aids and cancer.

The result: knowing that you have helped the research for a cure for Aids,cancer and Muscular Dystrophy but also, Dave aka Movieman have acess to all the info we will gather up during this week of The XtremeSystems Community Supercomputer. That mean at the end of that week, we will be able to know mostly how many ppd we have made but also how much Teraflop/s we acheived during that week and then compare to the big supercomputer.

If you have any question about WCG and how to set it up, just go to the WCG section of the forum. There is also a very nice guide made by one of the team member for setting up WCG: How to set up WCG (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224817)

If we all help a bit, we could beat the big supercomputer guy and show them how Xtremesystems is a great community with a immense amount of computing power.

Vinas
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Fine. I'll do it...

can I use the 5870 to help too? Might as well put all this w/c gear to use somehow...

snoro
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
nah sadly WCG only use the cpu. For ati card the only distributed computing project that use the full potential of them is Milkyway@home.

Toolius
04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Awesome stuff.. lets do it !!
1 Million PPD it is :)
Got 2 i7 rigs that will run all out !!
good stuff and i hope this turns out to be some kinda WR too..
Kind regards :)

Movieman
04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
So you got a need high end build and you really like it.

Since you are reading this section i bet your rig is watercooled or you are planning to watercool it.

Then what about Helping Dave and WCG team to show IBM and The Big supercomputer that a great community of Computer lover have as computer power.

The objective is to use your computer for the XtremeSystems WCG grid just a week from May 1st to May 8th. It dosent have to be working at 100% 24/7, we are not stopping you gaming, we just want your help during this week to show the big guys that we have a huge power of computation here at XtremeSystems if everyone get in. We are trying to get 100 million ppd. Or in others word around the computing power of 30k-40k P4 rig.

The cost: well about 2$ of electricity for the week and thats about it.

It dosent stop there, WCG is dristibuted-computing program for research of cure for Muscular Dystrophy, Aids and cancer.

The result: knowing that you have helped the research for a cure for Aids,cancer and Muscular Dystrophy but also, Dave aka Movieman have acess to all the info we will gather up during this week of The XtremeSystems Community Supercomputer. That mean at the end of that week, we will be able to know mostly how many ppd we have made but also how much Teraflop/s we acheived during that week and then compare to the big supercomputer.

If you have any question about WCG and how to set it up, just go to the WCG section of the forum. There is also a very nice guide made by one of the team member for setting up WCG: How to set up WCG (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224817)

If we all help a bit, we could beat the big supercomputer guy and show them how Xtremesystems is a great community with a immense amount of computing power.

Fixed..The WCG team does a little over 7 million WCG points per day right now with 300 contributing members. We're the #3 team.
The #2 team is Easynews doing a little more than we are with 7000 members,
The #1 team is Team2ch, a BBS based team from Japan with over 12,000 members..
Just to put it all in perspective here's what the top 10 teams did yesterday but this isn't about beating the other teams.
This is about showing the world the computational power that exists at XS!:up:

lowfat
04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
It is a shame this challenge is on at the same time as the F@H Chimp Challenge. Otherwise I would have been down.

snoro
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
And also, for people that are not interested because they think that they would have to stop gaming for a week, WCG boinc can be set so that it use just the unused capacity of your cpu, so you can run WCG while you game and when you stop it use the full capacity of your cpu.

Movieman
04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
It is a shame this challenge is on at the same time as the F@H Chimp Challenge. Otherwise I would have been down.

Well you could do 12 hours a day each....:sofa::D

lkiller123
04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Fine. I'll do it...

can I use the 5870 to help too? Might as well put all this w/c gear to use somehow...

Well, you can use your 5870 for MilkyWay@home:)

You can join our WCG team AFTER your F@H challenge, the whole thing is about persistence; if you last long enough, you can make a difference:up:

BTW Dave, I love your sig :D:up:

Movieman
04-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, you can use your 5870 for MilkyWay@home:)

You can join our WCG team AFTER your F@H challenge, the whole thing is about persistence; if you last long enough, you can make a difference:up:

BTW Dave, I love your sig :D:up:

You should, I copied it from yours!
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery!":rofl:
Or in my words: If it's good, grab it!:up:

lkiller123
04-13-2010, 04:28 PM
You should, I copied it from yours!
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flatery!":rofl:
Or in my words: If it's good, grab it!:up:

Thanks Dave!:clap:
I've spent a good 10 minutes making that. I will keep making more.:)

Movieman
04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks Dave!:clap:
I've spent a good 10 minutes making that. I will keep making more.:)

If you don't mind I'll post it in the WCG section for all to use to get the word out.

meanmoe
04-13-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm in...

Sliced Cheese
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
My humble e85's gotta be worth a couple p4's right? I'm in.

Sneaky
04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
I would be all over this with my Skulltrail rig if it was on water. Right now it's all at stock on air cooling :( while I wait for my custom MM U2-UFO to arrive. I'm humbly going to have to pass this time around.

pwolfe
04-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I'll be on vacation that whole week so I will definately re-attach to wcg before I leave.

H20Cooled
04-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Well I have my 2 dual quad xeon rigs doing folding@Home for eVGA but I can switch them over to wcg. I get back from Dubai on the 1st so I will need to remember to do it remotely before I board the plane for the trip back to the states. I will switch over my i7 when I get back as I don't leave it running when I am away.

To bad the new i7 980x rig I am working on now will not be done before this (its possible it might be, but very unlikely as eVGA still has not released the 480 GTX Hydro FTW cards)

astrodanco
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
I see that the results returned by the team have recently gone up by about 1/3rd, but the points received have not gone up proportionately. Why is that?

fallwind
04-14-2010, 01:32 AM
It depends on what projects members are running. HCC WU's for example are quite short, under 2 hours on a decent machine. Nutritious Rice for the World on the other hand, run 7 hours regardless of CPU speed.

crazy1323
04-14-2010, 06:07 AM
I wish I could join in with my new build with dual overclocked Xeon 5670's but EVGA will not release the motherboard that I need.

Petra
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks to the E6600 that I bought off of Caoder this morning, I'll be chipping in 16 cores for the push (4 C2D's, a Phenom X3, a Dual-Core P4, an A64 X2, and an old AXP @2.4GHz). It's not much, but it ought to help :)

daftDavid
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Installed it on my i7 920 (stock, unfortunately... don't judge!) yesterday, crunching away.

[XC] Oj101
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
It's no surprise that 2chan is the biggest team, their board has over 2mil posts per day :eek:

NKrader
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
im gona have my comp all full on 9days worth of complete projects then dump em all on the first and start crunching :)

[XC] Oj101
04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
That is an awesome idea :) But it will skew the results.

gmat
04-15-2010, 12:42 AM
I added my liquid cooled i975 to the team. It's crunching now, i'll have to tune the app a bit since it's also my gaming machine.

quattro_
04-15-2010, 02:14 AM
just in time, my 980x will arrive on April 22 .

Olly_K
04-15-2010, 02:46 AM
both my i7 rigs are crunching away :D

Red Maw
04-15-2010, 08:26 AM
My only rig is air cooled right now but it looks like it will be able to handle WCG for now :D If need be I'll lower the OC, needs to be done for summer anyway.

Does WCG and F@H not work together? I was going to try WCG on the i7 and F@H on the 5850 when I get home tonight to see how usable the system was.

lowfat
04-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Does WCG and F@H not work together? I was going to try WCG on the i7 and F@H on the 5850 when I get home tonight to see how usable the system was.

You could do both. But I only run F@H on my CPU as it is considerably faster and consumes much less power per point.

Bail_w
04-15-2010, 09:26 AM

There something call GPUgrid, its another project that can be attached under BONIC. It works like F@H, so this way, you can have WCG and GPUgrid working at the same time.

http://www.gpugrid.net/

zeroibis
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Exactly during finals week...

NaeKuh
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
its actually more then 2 dollars per week.

I am a seasonal cruncher, and i will tell you guys this.
Crunching uses a ton of power.

How much power?
Off 5 rigs my electricity bill was 40% higher b4 the over usage penalty i got from california edision which is why i am now only a seasonal cruncher.

So promising guys its only 2 dollars a week is lying. Depending on your machine and your power company, it can be 10x that amount PER week per machine.

But crunching is fun, and its addicting.. and u meet a lot of great people in WCG.
But just make sure you know what your getting at.

Crunching will:
1. Depreciate hardware because its under load all the time.
2. Nice way to kill ram, trust me ive killed TONS of ram.
3. Dont push your system too hard if your crunching... example... if ur machine now is a 4ghz machine.. lower it to 3.8 with more respectable values.

Your hardware will last exponentially longer when its less stressed, then trying to crunch on bleeding edge.
^ very important... even dave will agree with this comment 100%

NKrader
04-15-2010, 11:49 AM
its actually more then 2 dollars per week.

I am a seasonal cruncher, and i will tell you guys this.
Crunching uses a ton of power.

How much power?
Off 5 rigs my electricity bill was 40% higher b4 the over usage penalty i got from california edision which is why i am now only a seasonal cruncher.

So promising guys its only 2 dollars a week is lying. Depending on your machine and your power company, it can be 10-20 dollars PER week per machine.

in california.. i pay like $0.10 KWH urs is prob double mine?? :shrug:

Sadasius
04-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Where I am I don't pay electricity. So when I am not using it, it crunches! :yepp: Will be adding another quad core rig soon to the cause.

NaeKuh
04-15-2010, 11:52 AM

i live in a 6 bedroom house.

when i crunch i hit penalty... :rofl:

IF u really want to know during summer i was paying 800 dollars per month to feed 5 computers + AC + normal house usage.
Without crunching that bill is around 400-450.

And i blew out a breaker. <--- which is my main reason why i turned seasonal.

If your gonna crunch for long term.. your best friend will be a 20amp outlet at your station + one hell of a great UPS.

Ask Dave.... when it comes to killing hardware on WCG, i think i take cake.
However i always push my machines even while crunching.... i can always get another cpu... :\

zeroibis
04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Last summer electric bills were $800/mo for one computer crunching non stop and the AC could never turn off.

Also, NaeKuh I see you got the 980 now. What did you ever do with all those extreme editions you got a while back?

Petra
04-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Here in So. Cal. Edison Land, the average winter rates are between 12¢/kWh and 29¢/kWh (depending on the usage tier you fall into). Average summer rates last year were between 12¢/kWh and 31¢/kWh. It seems like they futz with the tiers based on the season to try and keep most people hitting Tier 3 & 4 year-round (between 23¢/kWh and 27¢/kWh). Thankfully, though, you pay the Tier 1/2/etc. rates up to the top tier you hit, rather than being flat-rated at the higher price.

Either way, it does get expensive once the AC starts cranking in the summer months.

Movieman
04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I can't talk about California but here in New Hampshire where electric is .145/KWh running a machine like a Q6600@3600mhz only adds app $2.00/week between crunching and "normal" usage.
That's based on a machine that maxxes at app 170w draw.
Now my SR2 rig pulls a solid 620-650w but that generates 100,000+ PPD in WCG so it's well worth the electrical usage.

snoro
04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Electricity price ??? Not a problem here in quebec.

Red Maw
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
There something call GPUgrid, its another project that can be attached under BONIC. It works like F@H, so this way, you can have WCG and GPUgrid working at the same time.

http://www.gpugrid.net/

Thanks for that info, I'll be looking it up tonight; apparently my gpu isn't supported by F@H so I needed something else XD

Edit: No love for ATI cards over there either lol

Your hardware will last exponentially longer when its less stressed, then trying to crunch on bleeding edge.
^ very important... even dave will agree with this comment 100%

Very nice to know, thanks for the heads up.

Probably going to stop crunching after the 8th since I can't afford to replace anything right now.

NaeKuh
04-15-2010, 03:13 PM
WCG is fun you guys...

And once u see the PIE... UGH... DAYAM PIE!

Yes its all about PIE!

EDIT: Oh i see this is a 1 week sprint...
My advice is on you guys who intend to stay on the team.

You will meet a lot of great people on the team, and being on the team to meet those people has value more then the cost of your electricity.

Red Maw
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree completely....

....having your main system go down with no money to fix it is definitely not fun though :( It's too late for me though, I've already started fixing up my old s775 system so it can start crunching too XD

Petra
04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
You will meet a lot of great people on the team, and being on the team to meet those people has value more then the cost of your electricity.

Good point... I'll probably stay on after this one week push, but with scaled back output.

BTW, I've missed you and DB on my last two trips out to CES, yet I still manage to coordinate meetings with press folks I've never really talked to before. We need to work on this... lol

Apokalipse
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I have a watercooled Phenom II 965 which I normally run at 3.8-4GHz. But electricity does cost a fair bit here.

the whole thing is about persistence; if you last long enough, you can make a difference:up:That's what she said.

Movieman
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I just threatened Naekuh with permabanning from the LC section so he seems to have changed his tone...
Or maybe it was the title I threatened him with that did it..
Oh yea, it was bad and I mean BAD!:rofl:

Sadasius
04-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Well banning from the LC section is bad enough but to include a nasty title too.....:shakes: Your getting mean in your old age! :rofl:

Movieman
04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Well banning from the LC section is bad enough but to include a nasty title too.....:shakes: Your getting mean in your old age! :rofl:

Yea, but it's Naekuh and we're buddies..
You just have to be able to harass the living hell out of your buddies!:rofl:

shazza
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Dave, you missed the obvious point ... NaeKuh's systems require at least double the power due to the need to move the dust particles around in his case (j/k, NaeKuh ; )

This is a great project, Dave - thanks for starting this. And, I doubt the power cost is an issue for just a week! Heck, if everyone did just an hour a day, that would be a lot more than we have now.

Sadasius
04-15-2010, 04:37 PM
I hope your pulling my leg....Either that or your memory is really going. Of course I know your buddies! :clap:

Movieman
04-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I hope your pulling my leg....Either that or your memory is really going. Of course I know your buddies! :clap:

leg pulling of course..:D

Sadasius
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
leg pulling of course..:D

Well stop pulling my short leg....:shocked:

Sparky
04-15-2010, 08:01 PM
1. Depreciate hardware because its under load all the time.
2. Nice way to kill ram, trust me ive killed TONS of ram.
3. Dont push your system too hard if your crunching... example... if ur machine now is a 4ghz machine.. lower it to 3.8 with more respectable values.

Just because I feel like being a pain :p:
1. Not sure how it depreciates it any faster than normal. It isn't like a car with an odometer and the higher that reads the less money it is worth...
2. Stop buying micron D9 and clocking it :p: I've never killed any memory, but actually but then I don't really overclock or overvolt the stuff. Only things that have died on me was some old clunker hard drives and a cheap PSU went unstable.
3. This I agree with 100% - and the main reason the Q6600 I had for a long time was at 3.2 GHz instead of higher.

road-runner
04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Just because I feel like being a pain :p:
1. Not sure how it depreciates it any faster than normal. It isn't like a car with an odometer and the higher that reads the less money it is worth...
2. Stop buying micron D9 and clocking it :p: I've never killed any memory, but actually but then I don't really overclock or overvolt the stuff. Only things that have died on me was some old clunker hard drives and a cheap PSU went unstable.
3. This I agree with 100% - and the main reason the Q6600 I had for a long time was at 3.2 GHz instead of higher.

When I emailed the manufacturers after 3 or 4 RMAs of 2 or 3 brands and ask them to give me something that wasnt D9 my RAM dieing stopped... :up:

Movieman
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Now that I've had time to cool down and recall the ninja assasins I'd hired to visit Naekuhs house I have a few things to add.
People say that crunching kills computers,ram,HD,ect.
Well it can if you push the machine too far or have cheap parts.
I have downstairs a dula harpertowsn machine that went onto WCG in December 2006 and the only time it's been shut down is during 2 ice storms when we lost electricity.
There are two others down there with the same track record and one is watercooled.
That settles that part of the arguement.

Naekuh had good parts, just pushed too far.
Then his comment on electrical cost.
Probably true from his perspoective but he forgets to add in some facts.
He lives in a high end 6 bedroom home in Southern California with tiered electrical costs.
Care to bet that even without these machines of his that his home with the group that lives there is already in the top tier and so naturally anything you add will be at that top rate?
So we come down to is that if you live in southern california in a 6 bedroom 4000+ square foot home with every modern electrical device thats been developed and you add 5 over the top water cooled monsters and crunch on them yes you will see a huge increase in your electrical bill but what he forgot to say is that his electrical bill was huge BEFORE he ever built the computers.
I rest my case.:up:

Gamekiller
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been crunching on a gigabyte UD3 with a phenom 9600 OC'd at 2.81ghz on a tiny cooler with ram that has no heatsinks.... all in a cardboard box for ages and ages now! Nothing has broken!
If this makes hardware last less long.... it would be in the terms of if it would have lasted 100 years now it'll last 90 years lol
My point is like everyone else's: If crunching breaks your hardware then you'd have to have something already about to fail or something really cheap.
Also, power usage: not the same prices for everyone but it's not going to bankrupt anyone.

:) Have fun everyone!

Gimmpy224
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM

that.

all my machines are currently back on the F@H team

iandh
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Now that I've had time to cool down and recall the ninja assasins I'd hired to visit Naekuhs house I have a few things to add.
People say that crunching kills computers,ram,HD,ect.
Well it can if you push the machine too far or have cheap parts.
I have downstairs a dula harpertowsn machine that went onto WCG in December 2006 and the only time it's been shut down is during 2 ice storms when we lost electricity.
There are two others down there with the same track record and one is watercooled.
That settles that part of the arguement.

Probably true from his perspoective but he forgets to add in some facts.
He lives in a high end 6 bedroom home in Southern California with tiered electrical costs.
Care to bet that even without these machines of his that his home with the group that lives there is already in the top tier and so naturally anything you add will be at that top rate?
So we come down to is that if you live in southern california in a 6 bedroom 4000+ square foot home with every modern electrical device thats been developed and you add 5 over the top water cooled monsters and crunch on them yes you will see a huge increase in your electrical bill but what he forgot to say is that his electrical bill was huge BEFORE he ever built the computers.
I rest my case.:up:

Lol that's actually the main reason I stay away from dist. computing... living in so-cal is pretty rough for electricity costs on that stuff.

I may fire up a couple rigs for a week tho... ;)

gillbot
04-16-2010, 05:33 AM
I just threatened Naekuh with permabanning from the LC section so he seems to have changed his tone...
Or maybe it was the title I threatened him with that did it..
Oh yea, it was bad and I mean BAD!:rofl:

I TRIPLE DOG DARE YA! :rofl:

NaeKuh
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM

:wasntme:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0892.jpg

not my fault if all the good stuff was d9's.. but those patriots arent D9's and ive killed a pair of those too.

This is what im warning people on dave.
This is the LC section, 95% of us here are at the top 1% of what our computers can do.
Its not just me in this section who runs computers that hard... i can think of 2/3rds of this people on this forum who push harder then i do.
This is what im really worried about..

I think a fair warning is a common courtesy.

Im not saying crunching is bad.. i never said anything about that.
i said theres a price to be paid with all things in life.

I just dont want you guys to be stuck with the price at the end, and regret something that was intended on being fun from the start.
You watch where u step, and u end up having more fun.

Its easier when u expect a high electricity bill and it comes out a tad bit higher..
vs getting nailed with a ultra high bill when you thought it was only 2 dollars a week. :P
Or even better, you expected you bill to be higher, but it was lower then you expected..

That means u can add more rigs to your farm... yes this is where u get the term FARM applied to your collection.

This is why i wanted to make sure people understood this.
WCG is about endurance... not about jack rabit sprinting..
When you try to jack rabbit, you end up where i was... and thats a very expensive place.

Movieman
04-16-2010, 02:19 PM
ok, a last thought on potential crunchers keeping in mind electrical cost;
We have a system we call "Sammy"
It's a "set it and forget it" system that can double as a decent desktop or file server in addition to a nice little low cost cruncher.
Intel server board: Orginally $489.95, now $9.99
heat sinks, 2 for $20.00
Menory:2x1 gig DDR2-400 ECC REG; Steal off ebay for $10.00 a stick
CPUs: 2x2000/2mb/667 Sossaman's( yonah laptop chips essentially) $50.00 from ebay
Thats one cheap quad core(2 times dualcore.)
There's a $100.00, add in a $40.00 Corsair 400w PSU, a cheap EATX case and a HD and done for under $200.00-$225.00
Oh yea, at 100% load draws app 90-95w
at 100% load cpu's at 34C
Cool quiet and cheap to own and run
Computational power like 65% of a Q6600 at 3600mhz
Does app 7000-8000PPD in WCG.
It's what I call the "cruncher for people who don't want to crunch"
It is a incredibly dependable system owing to the Intel server board as it's base and the 2-31w cpu's..IE: This thing isn't even close to stressed in any way.Also makes a great backup machine when your daily driver is down.
I have one downstairs thats been at 100% load doing WCG and running MJ12 for the last 2 years without a boot except 2 times we lost electrical from ice storms and then as soon as I got the generator online I used this machine because of it's low electrical draw as my generator is just 5500w and wanted to leave as much as possible for the house uses.

Petra
04-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Hmm... that actually sounds like a neat build idea to play with, Dave. :up:

Movieman
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Hmm... that actually sounds like a neat build idea to play with, Dave. :up:

It is, built 3-4 of them, guys on WCG have built maybe 30 of them.
It's cost,lack of heat, lack of electrical use and stability make it really a perfect machine for most people and although it has onboard vid it has a PCI-X and PCI-eX8 and if you cut out the back of the PCI-E slot a vid card up to 260GTX specs works fine, thats been tested and proven.
6 onboard sata connections and 2 more for raid..

snoro
04-16-2010, 03:17 PM
But when you want to get like 10-20 sammys, you might rather think to 1 or 2 bettter rig. Sammy rig as Dave said is about being low power usage rig and set-and-forget rig. It is something very nice if you want just 3-4 low power usage dedicated cruncher. But if you want to get a big farm, you should look at the new g34 stuff or the evga sr-2 and some xeon depending on your budget and what kind of ppd/power usage or ppd/$ ratio you want. Also a farm of 4-5 big rig is much simpler to take care of than a farm of 30 smaller rig. But there is also some that dont mind having a farm of 10-20 rig. It all depend on the money you have, the ppd you want and the power usage total you want.

iandh
04-16-2010, 10:19 PM
It is, built 3-4 of them, guys on WCG have built maybe 30 of them.
It's cost,lack of heat, lack of electrical use and stability make it really a perfect machine for most people and although it has onboard vid it has a PCI-X and PCI-eX8 and if you cut out the back of the PCI-E slot a vid card up to 260GTX specs works fine, thats been tested and proven.
6 onboard sata connections and 2 more for raid..

Do you know of any chart which lists WU's/watt for common CPU's?

astrodanco
04-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, electricity is extremely expensive. And you don't have to own a huge home to suffer. My home is very small. Somewhere I read that the median California home uses about 8000KWh per year. My baseline allowance for March was only 313KWh. Anything over that got expensive very fast. Tier 4 kicked in at 200% of baseline (626KWh) and was $0.40 per KWH. You folks with cheap hydro power and no environmental conscience kill me. Yes, I'm jealous!

snoro
04-29-2010, 11:16 AM
May is approching fastly and we still need alot of help from everyone to get to our goal. The only thing we ask you to do is to run your rig for a single week from may 1st to may 8th. Boing ( the software used to manage WCG) is very user friendly and can be set that if you ever use your cpu more than 25% it will suspend the calculation and start it up again 3 minute after you have finished using your cpu for more than 25% of it. And that is the default that come with Boinc. You can always fine tune every little setting to adapt it to your needs.

Gonzalo-Gonads
04-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I know we are starting to get annoying, but think of the kittens! :kittenhat

air_ii
05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm in :cool:

crazy1323
05-02-2010, 10:01 AM
If EVGA would release the SR-2 I would gladly put these two X5650's to work. But until it is released I have nothing to crunch with.

Sparky
05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Glad to see more joining up. Any more out there willing to help?? :D

Take a look at my sig - realize that you don't need the latest and greatest stuff to help out! I'm running it on some old socket 754 athlon 64s for crying out loud :rofl: