PDA

View Full Version : Any indigo xtreme veterans around? (maybe speedfan problem)

mbreslin
04-12-2010, 10:14 PM
So I tore down my 3 loops today to install 980+indigo and consolidate to 2 loops. The computer is tore apart and didn't feel like messing with my 8-ssd r0 array, so I installed w7 on a x25-v just to get up and running.

My problem is speedfan which I was going to use for reflow seems way off on the sensors, showing all cores idling at under 10c. Other temp programs like real temp show cores idle in 20s and load in high 30s. Do I just go by real temp and not have the pretty graph like the reflow video? Do I set an offset in speedfan?

Pretty cool side note as I didn't want to mess with a bunch of stuff, I just put everything on one loop to do the reflow with a 360 and 3 s-flex f's I'm at 37c full 12 thread load at 3.5ghz with a mcp350->ek mb->ek supr hf->ek fc5870. Seems like really good temp to me.

Every other time I've installed windows with this hardware (920 instead of 980x) all temp programs have been nearly identical, any ideas?

Thanks.

ml2517
04-13-2010, 09:28 AM
So I tore down my 3 loops today to install 980+indigo and consolidate to 2 loops. The computer is tore apart and didn't feel like messing with my 8-ssd r0 array, so I installed w7 on a x25-v just to get up and running.

My problem is speedfan which I was going to use for reflow seems way off on the sensors, showing all cores idling at under 10c. Other temp programs like real temp show cores idle in 20s and load in high 30s. Do I just go by real temp and not have the pretty graph like the reflow video? Do I set an offset in speedfan?

Pretty cool side note as I didn't want to mess with a bunch of stuff, I just put everything on one loop to do the reflow with a 360 and 3 s-flex f's I'm at 37c full 12 thread load at 3.5ghz with a mcp350->ek mb->ek supr hf->ek fc5870. Seems like really good temp to me.

Every other time I've installed windows with this hardware (920 instead of 980x) all temp programs have been nearly identical, any ideas?

Thanks.

I used Linx and Realtemp temps on my 975 when I did the re-flow and it worked fine (I even sacrificed one of my flows just to see what it looked like because I was curious). When you do the reflow it will be obvious if its working or not. You'll get that big spike, then the big drop and then it will work its way back up to 90C or so. That is when you kick on your pump(s) for the CPU loop and let it cool it down.

dejanh
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
To reflow with your pumps off you really need to just wait for about 1-1.5 minute(s) and everything will be done. Just load up the system, fire up Prime95 and crank it to run on all cores/threads and then unplug your pumps. Time about 60-90 seconds, then reconnect the pumps and you should be done.

H20Cooled
04-17-2010, 07:50 PM
I will be doing the reflow on my 980 shortly and will be using my FC5 to turn the pump on and off so I don't need to worry about unplugging it and then plugging it in. I just hope its worth all this extra work vs using a normal TIM.

mbreslin
04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I keep putting it off, don't want to screw it up, 10 bux a pop!

H20Cooled
04-17-2010, 09:28 PM

I hear that, last time I said screw it amd just used my MX-2 with the 950 rig, but after all the coin being spent on the new rig I figured why cheap out on the TIM with the 980x. After seeing what needs to be done it does seem a bit much, so I hope it goes smooth as I would hate to have to uninstall the WB as I will have to drain the loop to do that.

masska
04-17-2010, 09:30 PM

you wont screw it up. just follow the procedure/instructions and you cant go wrong :up:

NKrader
04-17-2010, 10:32 PM
you wont screw it up. just follow the procedure/instructions and you cant go wrong :up:

haha ive wasted my first 2 tries.. :shakes:

H20Cooled
04-18-2010, 03:13 AM
haha ive wasted my first 2 tries.. :shakes:

Can you tell us what went wrong? Maybe it will help us avoid the same mistakes/issues. I hate the idea of tearing apart my loop because of screing up the reflow let alone screwing up more than once

trn
04-18-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm by no means an expert... It took me running my cpu throttled @ 100C for ~30 seconds to melt the IX. After around 30 seconds I BSOD'd and there was a funny melting smell. I was kinda worried, a quick restart and everything was fine and my temps were ~50c under load. I wouldn't recommend this 'technique' but it worked ok in the end.

CedricFP
04-18-2010, 10:57 AM
It's easier than it sounds.

First time went swell for me.

mbreslin
04-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Mine didn't melt, no idea what I did wrong. cpu at 100+c for 10 minutes I'm not going longer than that. Back to mx-3 for me 20 bux out the window. Fittings on top of block are too hot to touch etc, perfectly centered on chip.

Edit: I lied second application seems to have worked after all I think first one It wasn't stuck to the cpu well enough. temps slightly better going to oc now and check.

Edit2:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/mbreslin/SLOWPOKE/indigo.png

It's probably my fault somehow as others have had success, but I followed the directions/video as best a person can I think. I don't know what more I could have done, it just doesn't melt, going to pull the second one off now but I'll bet it's not melted.

Gob of mx-3 will have to do for me.

NKrader
04-21-2010, 09:07 PM
first one was my fault wasted because old cpu didnt work and i didnt test it with as5.. so that one was wasted. then next one was with first time using qx6700 and i tightned too much.. and wouldnt boot thought it was bios error.. so. fail. im just really impacient and fail because i am so..

mbreslin
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
with a gob of mx3:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/mbreslin/SLOWPOKE/mx3.png

When I took the second indigo application off it seemed to have sort of flowed but very very thin. Maybe I tightened too much like the poster above. Who knows, I'll not be messing with it again.