PDA

View Full Version : Installing the raditor in a mini-fridge

CokeCanNinja
04-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes, you heard that right. Once I have my computer built, I'm going to drill some holes in the side of a mini-fridge and install the radiator in it. That way I can really over clock the CPU without worrying as much about heat. Also, it gets really hot in my room during the summer (think 90 degrees F) so I don't think just a radiator will work. SO I'm chilling it.

dud3man
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
youll prolly end up kill that mini fridge. 80f isnt had bad. i had a 360mm rad cooling a q6600 couple summers ago it was close to 85f in my room my rig didnt over heat once

SoulsCollective
04-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Not going to work.

A fridge is designed to cool down a large area by a little and to handle only a very small total heat load (ie. objects at ambient temperature). If you put something that's actually hot in the fridge, and it stays hot for any length of time, as would your radiator, you'd overload the capacity of the system and temps would skyrocket. Phase systems or liquid chillers are designed completely differently; to cool down a very small area by a lot, and to handle a very large heatload.

Conumdrum
04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
The min fridge at best is good for 70 watts of heat. And it's not made for continuos use. This idea pops up a few times a year on many forums. Been tried, been failed at more than a few times.

CokeCanNinja
04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
80f isnt had bad.

Sorry, cat jumped on the keyboard. That 8 was supposed to be a 9. I guess I won't install it in a mini-fridge. How else can I X-treme cool it?

millertime359
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Phase systems or liquid chillers are designed completely differently; to cool down a very small area by a lot, and to handle a very large heatload.

We have some other threads on here for this. If you want extreme cooling, I suggest checking them out.

sRHunt3r
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
You could always mount it to the front of a portable ac unit, here is my RX360:

http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/795/thumbs/DSC04458.JPG (http://www.straferight.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/12182)

CokeCanNinja
04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Hunter;4336982']You could always mount it to the front of a portable ac unit, here is my RX360:

http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/795/thumbs/DSC04458.JPG (http://www.straferight.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/12182)

Yes!!! That was another idea I had, put I discarded it.

millertime359
04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Yes!!! That was another idea I had, put I discarded it.

Well, if your going to go that route, might as well just buy an AC unit for your room. ;)

Conumdrum
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
It really all about the energy, noise and effort needed to really cool a CPU or GPU to low temps. 90F summer room temps are pretty warm. Many members deal with that. In fact on some summer days I have 86F room temps in late afternoons (Las Vegas). Still my waterclooling setups keep the rig cool and way within temps. And to boot, it's quiet, cheap on electricity and easy to maintain. I don't need my CPU at under 0C, having LOUD noise from a commercial chiller ($700 if you get one built), and the massive electric bill. I build for games and quiet PC's. You need more?

Look around on the more severe cooling methods. Your welcome to try them, but folks usually watercool a few years before even attempting some really complex stuff. And risking thir hardware.

SoulsCollective
04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Actually, I just ran some numbers, and 90 degrees fahrenheit? Which is, what, 31 degrees celsius? Pfff, summer temps down here can hit 35C plus. WC will work fine with those ambients.

sRHunt3r
04-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah my unit is dual purpose, my computer room is a bonus room above my garage and gets quite hot on the summer. I just set the unit to 68-70f and it cools my water and my room, any lower and I have condensation issues.

Metasheep
04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
My Q9550 and 9800GX2 were fine on the few 100+F days last summer, and that was while folding 24/7.

Utnorris
04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Get a used AC unit and build a chiller out of it. You can even put a temp controller on it to take it to below ambient and even below zero temps. I built one last year and it cost me less than $150 with the controller costing the most. They are easy to build and you can cool your entire rig (CPU, triple GPU's and chipset). Check out the chiller section for ideas.

CokeCanNinja
04-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Ok, I guess I'll just do a standard water-cooling setup. I was just scared of overheating because I'm poor and can't afford to replace parts.

Groveling_Wyrm
04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
One step at a time.....the safest way to go.

Kibbler
04-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Ok, I guess I'll just do a standard water-cooling setup. I was just scared of overheating because I'm poor and can't afford to replace parts.tbh I would recommend against watercooling then. There's always a risk, however small.

What's the old Confucius saying? Don't watercool your only PC?

SoulsCollective
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Bollocks.

WC carries little to no risk if you just take some very simple, very basic safety measures - just like looking right (or left, for you Americans) before pulling out to turn. Don't do them and you're basically taking a gamble, do and you can almost guarantee your safety.

NKrader
04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
The min fridge at best is good for 70 watts of heat. And it's not made for continuos use. This idea pops up a few times a year on many forums. Been tried, been failed at more than a few times.

what if u used a giant fridge!! like the size of a "mini" van.. :shrug: :rofl:

astrodanco
04-14-2010, 03:41 AM
Bollocks.

WC carries little to no risk if you just take some very simple, very basic safety measures...
The monetary risk is actually not that low. You have to multiply the low risk of incidence by the high cost of having one actually occur. It's like the risk of getting killed by a large asteroid strike. The risk of an actual strike is low, but if one occurs billions of people get killed.

millertime359
04-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Then there is always the leaks that you can't help. The issues with the TIII and XSPC res for example. Those leaks couldn't have been prevented by the end user. They were a quality control issue.

The only way to prevent a loss of equipment with those is to not leave your comp running unattended, and to not place the res' where they could leak onto something.

If you really don't have the funds to replace something if it dies and you can't get an RMA, you might want to just stick with air cooling for now. Some of the heatsinks, like the True, offer excellent overclockablity with stable temps, even with your room temps.