PDA

View Full Version : EK-FC5850/5870 RAM Backplate - Thermal Pads ?

yngndrw
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I've just gotten around to installing my EK block / backplate on my 5870, however I have some questions about the backplate.

Firstly, it's advertised on the site as 'EK-FC5850/5870 RAM Backplate' - It even has little islands to cool RAM chips yet on the back of the card there is no RAM. I'm confused as to where the RAM part comes in.

Secondly, there was no thermal pads with the backplate and only just enough to cover the front RAM. While there is no RAM on the back of the card, the islands are in the correct place to sit over the back of the front RAM chips so I'd assume they are there to just cool the back of them, however as there are no thermal pads the metal islands just sit a fraction of a millimetre over the resistors / capacitors behind the RAM. I'm worried about the metal shorting out the components as it is extremely close and again wonder why the islands are there if they don't see to quite touch anything. Was I meant to receive some more thermal pads with the backplate or what ?

Lastly, a little bit of an aside - How are the backplates actually anodised ? From what I can gather, there should be a part of any anodised metal which is not anodised from where it was touching the wire or whatever else was used to hang / connect the part. However on my backplate, there is no such part - All of it has been anodised.

Thanks,
-Andrew.

Eddy_EK
04-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi,

The backplate is ready for the 2GB RAM cards. So you don't have to use anything if you have 1GB RAM VGA card.

Cyrax
04-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Eddy,
i have same Q...

im not statisfied with that answer.

i just bought 2 blocks + backplate for 5870
1. dont find anywhere this is only for 2 gb version....
2.where are the thermalpads if they are needed ????/even if the plate is not needed for the 1 gb version

converge
04-12-2010, 06:39 AM
You don't need any thermal pads on the backplates, just mount them on like you would with the existing ati backplate. On a side note, the backplates also work with the heatkiller gpu-x3 58x0 blocks :) Just use the screws provided with the backplate and dont screw in too tight. I made that mistake.

Eddy_EK
04-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Backplate for 1GB version is only for the looks.
If user has reference design 2GB version he can cool back RAMs but needs to get 0,5mm thermal pads for back rams.

As the backplate was made when there was no 2 GB versions we decided not to enclose thermal pads.

converge
04-12-2010, 07:05 AM
for anyone interested:

http://i42.tinypic.com/657b5z.jpg

Cyrax
04-12-2010, 07:17 AM
thx for the fast reply....

even for show is good...thats why i bought the plate in the 1 place...just dont like to fry my card because of it :P

yngndrw
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still concerned with how close the islands are to the back-side components though - There is an undistinguishable gap between the metal and the components, so small that from the edge I cannot see if it's a gap or touching. Is this really okay ? The standard 5870 backplate actually has a thin sheet of plastic stuck to the underside for isolation.

Also 'if' it was to short due to some design error, would EK replace the card ?

Cyrax
04-13-2010, 08:36 AM
verry good Q yngndrw
maybe ill need to wait to place my cards in loop lol

Ketzer7
04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
If you're worried about the raised spots for the RAM touching something on the back of a 1GB card, then why not just take some thin electrical tape and cut out some squares and put them over the raised areas on the backplate? Problem solved and no one will see it.

Cyrax
04-13-2010, 10:29 AM
you could do that....

but either you support youre products or you dont....if they dont im not a happy customer :D

yngndrw
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
If you're worried about the raised spots for the RAM touching something on the back of a 1GB card, then why not just take some thin electrical tape and cut out some squares and put them over the raised areas on the backplate? Problem solved and no one will see it.
The reason for that is related to me not thinking of it. :D It's actually a great idea thanks.

Having said that I'd still like to see Eddy's reply first - Maybe there's something I'm missing.

justin.kerr
04-13-2010, 01:02 PM
It is fine. The stock 1 gig backplate has raised areas for RAM pads also... If it touched on one of my 3 cards, I would have raised a holy crap stink fit, but they are fine. plenty of clearance.

yngndrw
04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
I just installed my card now and it is working fine.

Idle:
GPU: ~30C
VDDC: ~33C
VDDCI: ~38C

Loaded:
GPU: ~31C
VDDC: ~35C
VDDCI: ~39C

I was pretty impressed by that (Lack of) change.

justin.kerr
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
glad it is working out well :clap:

Cyrax
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
you installed them with just the backplate on it or did you eventualy used pads or something ?

yngndrw
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I installed it with just the backplate.

Cyrax
04-15-2010, 06:06 AM
thx for the info...mine should be in rig next week :P

dazboots
05-26-2010, 03:49 AM
what i have done is buy some electrical tape and cut into small pieces over the raised bits and put on the ram on the back plate. to stop contact if it does to stop a short.
the tape is good for 80c will this be ok before i run my system 24-7
any help would be great before i run my system. thx in respose.

Vinas
05-26-2010, 04:48 AM
IMHO the ~$20 it costs for the backplate was worth it for me. It made installing the block a breeze. Literally just laying it flat and sandwiching the block > 5870 > backplate could not have been more perfect or easier. :up:

JoeBar
05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
EK's backplates are just pure pron... :D

Rotaryloop
06-24-2011, 08:32 AM
sorry to bring back an old post put i just picked up a backlate for v1 and for v2 for my CF, i wanted to know if the Ek universal vga blocks will work with them?