PDA

View Full Version : What Was Your Worst Hardware Blow Out At Once??

Kunaak
12-21-2003, 03:00 AM
just to share some Gruesome stories of Horrible Hardware Disasters.
I know I'd like to hear who's got the worst of the worst, from the craziest mods or whatever.

so heres my worst single hardware disaster.

About july of this year I was messing with dry ice for the first time, and although I had alot of experience and overclocking alone, I had little if any at dry ice...
well being gung ho about things, I just had to do it.
so I had a friend make me a dry ice container, and I read what I could about insulation, and whatnot.

I had 3 PC's here at the time, 2 modded 8RDA's and one Kt333 Abit as a spare.
2 Xp1700s and a 2700.

went out and bought a few blocks of dry ice and began playing around, and it was going pretty damn well. see, my Xp 1700 at that time was doing 3 ghz easy on my prometeia, so dry ice only made things easier.
and I hit 3.1 ghz with relative ease, until I tried some benchmarks like super Pi and such and noticed that dry ice wasn't strong enough to keep it cold enough to remain stable for the whole test without some monitoring of the amount in the container.

anyways, overly ambitious and equally dumb about dry ice, I filled the container about halfway with acetone, and dropped a chunk of dry ice in there, at about 3.2 ghz...

AND BOOOOOM...

it errupted like a volcano.
acetone and dry ice go fizzing out all over my motherboard, CPU ram and videocard, and computers off, and theres a mess everywhere...

I took everything apart, and started to clean it all up and thought. huh, maybe the CPU's ok.

so I put that in one of my spare PC's and "blink" that PC just shuts down too.
the CPU was wet or something and just killed the motherboard.

so theres both my 8RDAs in 5 minutes, the 1700 was fine and remains in a XS members hands to this day.
the videocard was fine too.
the ram was never the same and eventually sold dirt cheap.

the PSU was also toast.
it just never worked again.

so 2 motherboards, ram and PSU all dead in one shot.
the motherboards are still here, I use them as practice volt modding hardware, the videocard I killed months later, basically from prolonged overclocking and overvolting I think.

anyways, that was my worst story, how about you?

:D

kromosto
12-21-2003, 03:53 AM
not so much a disaster like yours or xtreme but as it was happened to my friends computer while i was oc ing was very bad nearly 8 months ago we bought 1700+ rda8+ etc etc to a friend he was afraid of oc ing and a force him to oc until he says ok so one day later we start to oc with my old codegen 300w which was a good psu in its crap class :) so 2ghz ok 2.2ok 2.4ok i got happier everytime 2.6ok 2.8 booted into windows then i started 3dmark2001 at drag lo a flame came out from the psu :D then my friend suddenly became angry (his second day with the rig) then i ran to home and get my spare elan vital 300w connect it to the rig clear cmos and turn on oh yes thanks god it post but cant go more than 106 fsb we cant even get it work at stock clocks then after nearly two weeks mobo decideces not to work anymore and cpu still doesnt pass 106 fsb

interman
12-21-2003, 04:07 AM
wow kunaak, you should've filmed the whole volcano accident. can't imagine the look on your face :D

GJ
12-21-2003, 04:30 AM
yikes,kunaak

i wont play with dryice then :P

lalPOOO
12-21-2003, 04:31 AM
Ha, havn't had too many mis fortunes yet, but I was going to say, maybe you should ask 2fast4u about his... ;)

S!1v3rB@cK_Dk
12-21-2003, 05:51 AM
I was also overclocking for one of my friends. I told him that it might go wrong, and it did, i fried his memory and motherboard :(

Bravo
12-21-2003, 06:09 AM
2 XP2400s (AIUHB/AIUGB), both cost $195 USD, and both were fugging expensive. 1 XP2100 AIUHB (also $165). All three cracked by a vapochill in 3 hours.

kromosto
12-21-2003, 06:21 AM
i also got a 9700pro waiting for repair i hate grabbers soldering is way better than that a grabber broke one of the pins than i got angry (as much as grabbers i am harmfull too :D) and broke 2 pins from the deepest part of it lol by a knife i got two pins head came out from the chip but again by hurry connected two of them to wrong place and vgpu starts to change from 0.4 volts to 2.4 volts lol know it is working but too many artifact on everyscreen both 3d and 2d also cant make it run longer than 10mins because of extra heat know i detected a broken resistance maybe by fixing it it can work again :) as i said soldering is best for me i am good at it and its more reliable than grabbers i think

Garrett
12-21-2003, 06:34 AM
About a year ago I owned an Epox 8K3A (kt333 chipset) and a 1700+ JIUHB 0245.
Then I decided to run @ 12.5x201 and play a game.
However, I had a 300W Enlight(yuck) PSU hooked up to it and within 1 minute of gameplay my system shut off. :D

Turns out the mainboard couldn't take the heat and took the PSU with it... this could also be the other way around, I'm not really sure ;)

The cpu, though, was fine and still running in a friend's pc :)

I had pretty sucky Poseidon watercooling on it and at that point I wasn't really worried about temperatures yet, these days I am (a little too much if you ask me lol)

Tweaked!
12-21-2003, 07:46 AM
I'd say the worst thing that has happened to me was one evening I came home from work to find lightning had struck the house and fried a XP2400, 2 - XP2100s, a XP1700, a Msi k7d master duallie mobo, a Abit kd7, a biostar mkq (or whatever the hell it was, all in on mobo), a Ti4200, a el cheapo 4 mb vid card, 2 400w psus, and a Linksys router.I was not having a good day that day. Over half my folding farm had bit the dust. :(

Jeff
12-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Vapo'd a couple AMD cpus in 10 minutes last year. Needless to say the Vapo was sold the next week. ;) Wish I would have held onto it for GPU duties but I was just too upset and was affraid it might make it on one of our burn piles one day. :devil:

sandman
12-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Well, I've had 5 motherboards die on me in a row, only 2 of them were my fault too. :(

Not much compared to dry ice volcanoes, lightning, and vapo's.

RoydRage
12-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Well,

Let's see,

Back when I was running the old KT-7a on air, I had the whole system on... And for some stupid reason, (I can't remember why), I offed/Oned my UPS, a really big one like a 1400 or something.

When It came back on, the Battery exploded, I guess all the draw from the Big Sony 21" monitor, and everything... Well, I noticed Smoke coming from the top fan hole in the computers case, shut it all down immediatey.

Bit by bit, I determined that it blew up the PSU an Enermax 550, Took out the mobo, the Creative 5.1 Auditgy sound card and my Leadtek GeForce 2 Ultra that I had just got as soon as it was released, which at the time was going for like $500 !!!

The CPU, Ram And HD's were fine.

Ohhh, did I mention that I lost 7 (SEVEN!) Nf2 boards to Save & Exit Bios Death...

Hmmm? Why am I doing This Again? LOL!

Regards, Royd

afireinside
12-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I've been fortunate enough to not toast anything yet but it all is crap. Horrid NF7 bad chips crappy ram. I think my 9800 died or something tho :(

Stang_Man
12-21-2003, 10:06 AM
4 Radeon 8500's died in my hands

2 8RDA+

1 NF7

1 IC7 (Will_Perdikakis and I did this one...)

let's just say, I am unlucky... everything i do, i try doing perfectly, cleanly, and §§§§ just happens... ugh, can't stand this crap any more :(

charlie
12-21-2003, 10:21 AM
I killed a P4C800-E with DI when the P4C800-E was like $230!! Ouch!!!

C

afireinside
12-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Ouch that sucks Charlie :mad:

You guys think if I start sacrificing hardware the gods will order newegg to send me better stuff?

charlie
12-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by afireinside
Ouch that sucks Charlie :mad:

You guys think if I start sacrificing hardware the gods will order newegg to send me better stuff?

It's Possible!

afireinside
12-21-2003, 10:27 AM
I think they just ate my XMS :( But if someone would give me a hand identifying the problem... ;)

mdzcpa
12-21-2003, 10:53 AM
This was my worst blowout.

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/forumpics/badtec/burn1.jpg

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/forumpics/badtec/burn2.jpg

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/forumpics/badtec/burn3.jpg

Obviously my brand new XP 2200 and KX7-133R did not survive ordeal. Same goes for the MCW462-UT and other various parts of the cooling system. The loss of my Ti4600 is not apparent in the pics, but also lost it's life in the incident.

All this stuff was brand new and state of the art 18 months ago when it happened. ouch.

sandman
12-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Pump not turn on? or pelt not turn off?

Stang_Man
12-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by sandman
Pump not turn on? or pelt not turn off?

pelt didn't turn off...

Nebulous
12-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Dam! :eek:

Back in the KX7 days i had my board vmodded with a Pali. This was the first time actually vmodding and fully ocing. Anyways i'm happy as heck runnin my Pali 1600 @ 2ghz with 2-40gb hdd's in raid, gf3 ti500 and an allied 400w psu. Hummin along, enjoying my mp3's then i hear a pop, the smell of fried components and then shut down. I'm like wtf?
I take the side panel off to inspect the damage. Somehow the vmod came off since i used an SMD grabber and made contact with another part of the board. Needless to say I lost:

Both HDD's
Mobo
Psu

all in one shot :lol: Funny how all it takes is a split second to fry evrything. Ram, vid card, cpu was spared which i found kinda odd.

mdzcpa
12-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Stang_Man
pelt didn't turn off...

Yep. The pump was relayed, but the TEC PSU wasn't. I learned a real good lesson from that stupid mistake.:rolleyes:

afireinside
12-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Ouch that sucks man. What happened tp the rest of the water loop?

Iridium192_217
12-21-2003, 12:09 PM
when i got my 3.2c back from rma & in my hurry to open the box, wasn't careful enough & low & behold the cpu flies out & pins get bent:(

Stang_Man
12-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Iridium192_217
when i got my 3.2c back from rma & in my hurry to open the box, wasn't careful enough & low & behold the cpu flies out & pins get bent:(

you unbent the pins right??

mdzcpa
12-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Ouch that sucks man. What happened tp the rest of the water loop?

My MCW40+T also melted (along with the Ti4600), as well as most of the hoses and plastic fittings. Rad and pump survived.

Spec3
12-21-2003, 02:12 PM
In the span of 3 weeks I lost the following through many screwups.

2x 2.4C's
Abit IC7
ATI 9500pro
ATI 9700AIW x2
Asus P4P800dlx
My nervs :(

Steve

unrealneo
12-21-2003, 02:38 PM
I thought i'd just screwed my board while checking some MOSFET voltages, shorted it.:rolleyes:

thankfully, she booted straight up after a CMOS clear.:D

that's the first time i thought i'd lost a piece of hw.:eek:

JacobHansen
12-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Once i had to change an Harddrive ( 100GB of Data :banana: ). I grabed the Molex with "wet" fingers, and then ZAP.

I lost 100 GB Data, school projects, Games, pics of the girlfriend and so on.. :mad: :mad:

Iridium192_217
12-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Stang_Man
you unbent the pins right??

Actually I didn't.

I called Intel & told them what happened. I said that I opened the box carelessly, the cpu flew out, & pins got bent. I told the guy it was my fault. After asking me several questions.......He let me RMA it!

saaya
12-21-2003, 05:00 PM
lol mdzcpa, i can almost smell the burned silicon and plastic when looking at those pics... how long did it take till you got rid of the smell?

gave my modded 8500 pro to a good friend as a b-day present, still not sure what exactly happened, but after trying the card in his rig the pc didnt boot.

mobo dead
psu dead
8500 pro dead

*sigh* the 8500 was such a great card... i did 5 of the 6 vmods for the 8500s , it had huge golden zalman ramsinks and a huge golden orb cpu cooler on the gpu :( i miss the card...

Originally posted by Spec3
In the span of 3 weeks I lost the following through many screwups.

2x 2.4C's
Abit IC7
ATI 9500pro
ATI 9700AIW x2
Asus P4P800dlx
My nervs :(

Steve

ouch!... :(

afireinside
12-21-2003, 05:02 PM
:lol: was your friend like "omg I love you in the most non gay way possible man! Thanks so much!" a few hours later "*** damnit sayaa you killed my rig!"

Asniper
12-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I lost my share of hardware

6 Hard Drives :( 5 Western Digital and most recent a IBM one :(
1 Router

Couple weeks ago I was helping a friend build his comp he just bought, once it was all done i turn the power and one huge blue spark came out of hte PSU "that ended up dead lol"

saaya
12-21-2003, 05:18 PM
well we still dont know what exactly happened... i dont think my card killed his rig...

could be that his rig killed my card... i think it was a mix of both, his weak psu and old mainboard and my modded power hungry 8500 didnt get along well :/

when it happened we both looked at each other, both not sure if we should be pissed and yell at the other for killing our part(s) or feeling sorry for having killed the others part(s) :D

afireinside
12-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Ah that sucks :( Never mix xtreme with cheapo :p:

If routers and crap count we lost out router modem and my network card in a lightining storm :|

|_053|2
12-21-2003, 06:03 PM
i feel lucky to say that all i've lost is:

92mm case fan
10x dvd-rom
Nexus fan controller
internal case pc speaker (who cares) ;)

that's all for now *crosses fingers*

tc_overclocker
12-21-2003, 06:37 PM
I spose I cud be classed as lucky as as of yet... i aint killed owt.... iv done air cooling, watercooling, peltcooling, prommie cooling... volt mods... the lot.... and i aint killed owt yet.... famous last words though eh

eshbach
12-21-2003, 06:48 PM
i lost:

1 athlon xp 2200+
1 50x CD-ROM
1 1 20GB IBM HD
1 1.44MB Floppy
1 350w PSU
1 Asus KT133 Mobo

all to a system incompatability... tried to put a tbred in a via kt133 board that didn't support it. things went horribly wrong. somehow the power supply blew and took everything direcly plugged into it with it. pci/agp cards were all that survived.

afireinside
12-21-2003, 07:18 PM
And thats why we dont put a tbred into a Kt133 board :|

Oh yea I forgot to say I murdered my dads GF256 changing the dead fan on it...

xDUCK
12-21-2003, 07:32 PM
I've killed:

5 NF7-S's (BIOS corruption for all 5, none were vmodded)
1 Built by ATI 9800 Pro (memory solder melted)
1 1700+ that could do 2.8Ghz (under Prometeia)

Thankfully, the only the thing I've had to replace with my own money was the 1700+ (everything else was stock and therefore under warranty).

Hell-Fire
12-21-2003, 07:50 PM
I did Vdimm/Vcore/Vdd on a friends A7N8X Dlx Rev2 board, they were working beautifully. So, with all his confidence he then asked me to mod the rails on his psu. That went well as well.

I had the system layed out in parts on my office floor burning in and checking the cooling, stability of the mods. I have 2 Manx cats, so I keep the door closed when I am not in the room as they tend to love to play around with the computer wires and what not. I left to go grab some burgers and fries for me and girlfriend and warned her about keeping the door shut as she said she wanted to check her email while I was gone.

She closed the door while in there, but her cell rang so she left the room to answer it and didnt close the door all the way. Needless to say the cats promptly entered the room to see what all the buzzing sounds were and decided that a naked motherboard with all its wires and fans would make a great toy. I returned home to the sounds that would make a werewolf flinch. As I slowly walked upstairs to what I was sure a very bad situation, I couldnt help but notice the other cat sitting outside my office door eating popcorn and drinking a beer...enjoying the show I am guessing. When I walked in, I saw my girly cutting the cat free from the NB fan.....he sacrificed all the whiskers on the left side of his face to the overclocking gods on this day. The board was a disaster of course. IN that span, one 1700+ (JIUHB) that was hitting 2.5GHz, one 9800P, one A7N8X, and 2x256 HyperX 3200 (BH5), all met their maker.

I am guessing that once the cats chewed the wires, all kinds of shorts happened which is what killed everything. The 9800P died because after the cat got stuck he wasnt very happy about it and was dancing all over the board and basically did a belly flop on the AGP port. Only thing to survive was the psu. Anyone wanna buy some slightly used cats?

Kunaak
12-21-2003, 07:51 PM
speaking of lightning storms.
heres the worst one possible.

I was living in the U-District here in seattle, thats the college area, and we had a 3 story house, with 21 people living with us.
there was 15 bedrooms. but a few couples as well.
anyways, I had my own room, and little in there (no computer back then)

anyways shortly after the earthquake here a few years ago we also had a huge lightning storm pass us by, and it hit the house.
I wasn't home at the time, so I didn't see this myself.
but upon coming home later that day from work, I saw it all.
nearly everything plugged into the wall had been fried, from microwaves in the kitchen, to other peoples computers that they used for school.
everyone sufferd some sort of losses.

me personally, I lost very little, see I had alot of stuff I needed to plug into one outlet so I had a surge protector, and my Tv, VCR, Playstation and Webtv were all plugged into it.
luckily my camera batteries weren't being charged that day, I use a Nikon F5 with 2 sets of batteries for the motordrive.
each of those batteries are $250 each, and I had 4 of them, and the charger is an additional $175 and I have 2 of them.
luckily I wasn't charging anything that day...
all I did lose was my clock, some rechargable double A batteries that were literally a black smudge on the wall when I saw them... and thats it.

the worst loss from that house?

one guy in the lower level was a professional muscian and always went to clubs tio play music he made and such.
he lost about $30,000 of computer stuff, music stuff that hooked into his computer, instruments and anything else he was using.

we actually had to call the cops to come and calm him down, cause he was absolutly flipping out.

lesson I learned that day.
use surge protectors, and really good ones too, not the 5 dollar kind.

I was lucky enough to need a surge protector in a hurry, and bought the only one I could find in a short period of time, which happend to be a $39 dollar on at Radioshack down the street, cause no where else in the U-district was open that late, or just didn't have any, or was in walking distance from our place.

now, everythings on surge protectors ;)

Maelstorm
12-21-2003, 08:28 PM
When I was building a computer, I was nearly finished with it. I had everything set up and running perfectly, but I forgot that I had to install the floppy drive. I had been getting everything up and running comfortably for about the past 2 hours, so I was a bit tired. My dad was in the room at the time and offered to install the FDD for me. I kindly turned down his offer, but he insisted that he do it, because he "had experience". I gave him the go, while I was resting on my bed. He turns on the computer and I roll over to face the computer. Suddenly, I notice smoke rising up inside of the case. Paniced, I yell, "DAD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I shut off the PSU and open up the case. He didn't even notice it until I opened the case and was confused as to why I was screaming. It turns out that he plugged in the floppy drive cable UPSIDE-DOWN (he forced it in). Luckily, everything was still okay, save for a floppy drive cable that was literally melted and burned. I'll never let him touch my computer again :mad:

sjohnson
12-21-2003, 08:46 PM
Never killed any hardware (yet) but I did bring down an 800 Gigabyte database server HARD!

Wanted to get init to refresh, meant to type in "kill -1 1"

Mistyped and didn't get the "-" so the command turned into "kill 1 1", equivalent to "kill 1"

That brings a UNIX system down just as if you pulled the plug.

It took me 4 hours to restore the system and the DBA's all night to restore the database. I now use mnemonics like "kill -HUP 1" instead.

Anyone besides me understand all that geek above? ;)

youthemandan
12-21-2003, 10:00 PM
My worst was the week i lost 2 9700 p's (this was when they were still top of the line) and a 8rda+ and a nf7-s all in that same week. It was quite possibly the worst week of my life

luihed
12-21-2003, 10:19 PM
The worst week for me was shen I fried my good khx3200 at only 2.9v ( this thing ran 3.5v on my Intel rig) and then a couple days later I fried my 2 day old A64 3200+....... both were rma'd and I got both back..... too bad the replacement werent as good as the originals but Im still pretty happy that they rmad it....... been lucky that I havent payed anything for things that I have fried... here's my short list

- ti4400
- ti4600
- 9700pro
- A7N8X dlx
- khx3200
- A64 3200+
- and im sure Im gonna fry the Xsaber200 in that xtreme competition lol...... well im gonna try anyways :D

Chris_F
12-21-2003, 11:32 PM
:eek: mdzcpa, that thing looks like it is out of a scary movie!

:slash:

Hell-Fire
12-22-2003, 12:04 AM
I just got the nod that my Christmas wish list of a full TEC rig was granted,,,,now that I saw that mess of mdzcpa I am scared as hell.

:flame:

I will be doing everything possible to make sure nothing happens.

STEvil
12-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Smoked a pair of Voodoo 5 5500's a couple weeks ago..

Well, they arent actually dead, but both need the same darn chip now..

Evil_Spork
12-22-2003, 01:37 AM
oh man here it goes.. been having some bad luck lately. heres my list:

epox kt133a mobo
tbird 1.2
1900+
epox 8rda+
generic floppy drive(same time as 8rda)
4gig bigfoot hdd(the 5 1/4" flavor)
P1 100@166
P1 66@150
the P1's mobo(some old thing. maybe asus)
cold cathode light(snapped in half.. i guess this counts)
abit AN7(last week)
dfi infinity(few hours ago)

yeah. if i list how many of what kinda parts ive been through.. here i go:

cpu = 7
mobos = 8
cpu hsf = 4
psu = 3-4
ram = 4 sets
cases =4
hdd = 4
monitor = 3

not a bad little list there aye? i think i like to kill/replace hardware.. alot.

bias_hjorth
12-22-2003, 05:29 AM
look in my sig :-P

should I write "more to come" :D

afireinside
12-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Jebus how do you guys kill so much stuff?

now that I saw that mess of mdzcpa I am scared as hell.
Well just do what I would do. Get a poster board and write on it "TURN OFF TEC PSU THAN PUMP" and tape it up above my moniter. Maybe make a couple and put em on the way out just incase ;)

ricjax99
12-22-2003, 06:55 AM
When my un-modded Abit NF7-S and TWINX3200LL that ran upto 250FSB @11-2-2-2.0 with 1.7v vdd & 2.9v vdimm. Both died unexpectadly :(

<<bottom lip wobbles>>

:(

Firelord-OCHW
12-22-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by ricjax99
When my un-modded Abit NF7-S and TWINX3200LL that ran upto 250FSB @11-2-2-2.0 with 1.7v vdd & 2.9v vdimm. Both died unexpectadly :(

<<bottom lip wobbles>>

:(

Man that was sweet kit :( :stick:

Damn tempremental hardware :mad:

Had 2 IC7-Gs die on me now FOR NO DARN REASON! my NF7-S was rock and my KG7-RAID lasted for like 2 yrs and still in my dads office in their service!

mdzcpa
12-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Hëll ‡ Fîrë
I just got the nod that my Christmas wish list of a full TEC rig was granted,,,,now that I saw that mess of mdzcpa I am scared as hell.

I will be doing everything possible to make sure nothing happens.

Don't let that scare you. I was an idiot for not taking the precautions.

After that episode of stupidity, I rebuilt the TEC system using all the proper stuff. Judicious use of multiple relays and thermal monotoring (with auto shutdown) has since made the system idiot proof. I now run the TEC and pump off seperate relays that can only run along with the system power, so either everything powers up or down together. In the event of pump failure, temps will rise to a point where the system will auto shutdown turning off the TEC PSU along with it. Thermal shutdown is redundent by using MBM/Shutdown Now and BIOS shutdown features together.

Never commit to remembering to turn things on and off at the right times. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Trust me:)

afireinside
12-22-2003, 05:26 PM
I remembered to plug and unplug my pump for 3 months... You people just cant remember stuff like me :p: All I can remember is stuff pertaining to video games and computers tho ;)

Holst
12-22-2003, 05:27 PM
I dont think ive ever killed more than one thing at a time thank god.

Ive killed ALLOT of motherboards, but nothing else of any real value.. im pretty lucky.. ive made a few stupid mistakes and gotten away with it.

mdzcpa
12-22-2003, 06:11 PM
I remembered to plug and unplug my pump for 3 months... You people just cant remember stuff like me :p: All I can remember is stuff pertaining to video games and computers tho ;)

LOL....I used to think that way too:)

interman
12-22-2003, 06:14 PM
lets see, here's what i killed, or what killed itself
2x a7n8x mobos (both rma'd)
1x athlon 1800+
1x duron 800
1x wd 20gb hdd
1x ibm 60gb hdd
2x corsair xms3500 (both rma'd)

you know, i wonder what the total cost of the stuff we've all rma'd wrongfully is :D

2fast4u
12-22-2003, 08:58 PM
I lost a fully volt modded NF7-S, XP-3200\400FSB cpu, fully volt modded 9800 Pro\256mb, 2 sticks of Corsair PC-3500 XMS Platinium, a WD 36gb Raptor, and 2 MCW50-T's when a kid at our last LAN party turned off my pump and didn't shut down the rest of the rig! The tubbing melted and fried almost everything in the case. They woke me up about 4 A.M. and said they smelled something burning. To little to late!

will_perdikakis
12-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Ok, well...

I lost a KR7A in a §§§§ty Vmodding incident. I had the §§§§er barely soldered on when it popped off with the computer on, hung in BIOS. RIP.

2xTH7IIs by ripping the Vcpu mod off when putting in a CD-RW.

4 R8500s in the same day, all returned to Best Buy.

A Ti4600 by trying to remove custom ramsinks that I epoxied on.

Another Ti4600 (replacement for the last one) by getting too xtreme with the Vmods. The card actually caught fire!!!!

A P4T533 and (another) R8500 left the TEC and pump on with the computer off on a humid NE day, all the insulation in the world could not have prevented this.

An IC7... too annoying to discuss.

Never killed a CPU, HDD, PSU or memory though.

Well, if dropping a CPU while getting out of a car and bending 50% of the pins counts, then.... scratch that last comment. :-p

PS2pcGAMER
12-22-2003, 11:11 PM
I haven't killed anything really major, just:

1 A7N8X rev 1.4 (RMA'ed)
1 NF7-S rev. 2.0 (RAM'ed)
256MB PC2100 Generic RAM (almost worthless)
512MB PC2100 Generic RAM (again, almost worthless)
1 60GB IBM Deathstar (RMA'ed)
1.33ghz amd t-bird
2400+ (a few weeks after I paid $200 for it, it was my first "powerful" CPU, soon after I decided to learn how to really overclock)

MentholMoose
12-23-2003, 03:28 AM
All I've really lost are CPUs. I guess the worst was losing a 2000+ AGOIA that I had unlocked by connecting the L1 bridges by incorrectly installing the evap of the Vapochill I had just bought.

eva2000
12-23-2003, 04:24 AM
just last week my web server had multiple hardware failures :(

dual AthlonMP 2000+
2GB REG ECC PC2100
2X 18GB SCSI
1X 80GB EIDE

first 1 cpu died... got that replaced with 2x AthlonMP 2400

then 4 days later Tyan onboard scsi controller died, scsi disk dying and ide hdd died so needed to get a 64bit riser card, scsi card controller and now waiting on a scsi disk to copying the data over from my dying scsi :(

nice timing just before Xmas :rolleyes:

Hell-Fire
12-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by mdzcpa
Don't let that scare you. I was an idiot for not taking the precautions.

After that episode of stupidity, I rebuilt the TEC system using all the proper stuff. Judicious use of multiple relays and thermal monotoring (with auto shutdown) has since made the system idiot proof. I now run the TEC and pump off seperate relays that can only run along with the system power, so either everything powers up or down together. In the event of pump failure, temps will rise to a point where the system will auto shutdown turning off the TEC PSU along with it. Thermal shutdown is redundent by using MBM/Shutdown Now and BIOS shutdown features together.

Never commit to remembering to turn things on and off at the right times. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Trust me:)

If my TEC psu is external, can I patch it into the existing psu so it turns on and off via that? Maybe link the PSU_ON line with the hot wire from the external psu?

I need to open it up when I get it and see whats available inside.

The pump is the MCP600, so it powers on with the rig, so not bad I suppose. Except that the tec psu only powers on/off via my brain stem... :hehe: Either way, if I forget to turn it (tes) on or off isnt a good thing. If forgot to turn on, the rig would shut down when the cpu temp got to high...but if I forgot to turn off after rig shuts down...rut roh raggy, scooby needs a new rig, if not a new house.

G H Z
12-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by mdzcpa
This was my worst blowout.

Hey, thats pretty cool. I've never seen an AMD chip with a black pcb before;)

Seriously, that had to hurt.

mdzcpa
12-24-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Hëll ‡ Fîrë
If my TEC psu is external, can I patch it into the existing psu so it turns on and off via that? Maybe link the PSU_ON line with the hot wire from the external psu?

Even if your TEC PSU is external, you can still use a relay switch to power it on/off. You might just need to extend some wire leads. I'd go that route versus opening up the PSUs.

Trixxy
12-24-2003, 10:09 AM
I run my MCP600 pump and MCW50-t from a Meanwell 320, so unless the pump fails, the tec will always be cooled. It'll always be safer to use a relay to turn the meanwell on with the rest of the rig tho (still waiting on a Swiftech Relay v2).

anyway, my KIA list consists of (so far):

Duron 1.2
HSF on wrong way - was wondering why the damn thing kept rebooting while installing windows, figured it out too late.

Radeon Hercules 9800 Pro
died when i tried to remove the tweakmonsters I had epoxied on. :)

afireinside
12-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by eva2000
just last week my web server had multiple hardware failures :(

dual AthlonMP 2000+
2GB REG ECC PC2100
2X 18GB SCSI
1X 80GB EIDE

first 1 cpu died... got that replaced with 2x AthlonMP 2400

then 4 days later Tyan onboard scsi controller died, scsi disk dying and ide hdd died so needed to get a 64bit riser card, scsi card controller and now waiting on a scsi disk to copying the data over from my dying scsi :(

nice timing just before Xmas :rolleyes:

That sucks :( Similar happened here. Started freezing after running for a week. CPU/mobo got screwed up. Off to test again now that I have some more thermal greese...

Dud3!
01-01-2004, 06:40 PM
I've killed one Duron 700 AKCA Z that would do over 1050MHz.... Stupid Globalwin WBK38 killed it because I wasn't being careful.

Slickthellama
01-01-2004, 08:33 PM
well first off. I would like to explain a great system I have figured out. I explained this in TEC but I will tell again.

BAsically I have a dual switch that I bought from digikey.com. IT is ultra cool. IT has 4 terminals. So basically I took a 60$ 34A 12V ATX PSU and stuck a pin into the green wire on the ATX connector. And a pin into the black wire on the ATX connector. I then soldered both of the pins to two of the terminals. That makes the PSU turn on. Then, I chopped the pump wire. Soldered the green to green, white to white, and soldered one black to the terminal on the switch, then the other black to the other terminal. Then the Pelt is connected to the 12V rail on the ATX PSU. ALso the fans on the radiator are connected to the ATX psu mentioned. So basically, as long as the pelt is running, so will the pump and fans.

IF anyone is looking for an idiotproof setup, this is it.

NOw onto the fun stuff. I had a codegen 300W PSU and two modules of 256 DDR 266. There was a 1800+ Athlon XP on a DFI board. Cant remember what. The whole setup worked flawlessly for months. Then one day, I turn on the power. And all I can smell is burning silicone. Most awfull smell ever. MY dad can smell it downstairs. IT smells totally awfull. Turns out. I killed two sticks of ram, one motherboard, one processor, one PSU, a geforce 2 GTS, a SB sound card, a keyboard. EVERTHING due to a faulty PSU. And the worst part, everything at stock :(

In unrelated incidents I killed two 9700s one pro and one not. I also recieved one 9500 DOA from allstarshop.com

sKiTz0
01-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Ive rendered a 17" crt virtually useless.. killed the red gun. Killed my 1600+ pally transfering to an a7n8x. Killed that A7N8X the other night, possibly by knocking off a resistor (i put my damn dsl modem in backwards :X) but theres surely more wrong with it than that. Its on rma now. I also had a 400w generic psu die on me one day.. turns out the solder holding the seperate wires for the p1 connector all melted together.. never buy extremely cheap psus. Especially from brands youve never heard of (okia anyone? :-/)

brwmogazos
01-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Few years back i went the AMD way.

Got myself a KG7-R and an 1.4 thundy guarranteed @ 1.6

Had a Juno P6 case as well which had some stand offs on the mobo tray that were already prefixxed...wouldnt get unscrewed or something to get remove...they had provided some plastic taps though to put on top of them (for insulation)...

Anyways...used those taps.Installed the board...which was bent near the ides due to the higher length of the standoff with the cap on...what a cra* design...anyways.Power on the board...NO POST...tried everything and it was a no go...RMA TIME...

spent a week sending the mobo and being tested by the store i got it from...

Sent another cos the one tested had serious mem problems as they said.

Installed it again....same story...

Pressed the power button and then i heard a "chuff" and smell the known smell of burnt electronics(thats a horror fiim)...

OH S***

I then figured out that the plastic cap wouldnt do sh*t to prevent the board getting damaged by the stand off!There was a pin from the dimms or ides cant remember that went through the plastic cap and contacted the standoff itself...

Another week waiting time and then full refund cos the store wouldnt give me a replacement board...

i had to use some pliers and totally rip them off the mobo tray...which was really hard.

Bad luck kept on cos when i took the board and cpu to a technician in order to give me a certificate that the board was dead i broke the core of my thundy...which i realised when i already went home...

Oh well

+ a dodgy PSU i had was the reason 3 sticks of Crucial PC 2100 ram were dead and crucial UK told me they wouldnt accept any more RMAS for me :p

KennyC
01-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Im about to kill my IC7-MAX3 with a bat over this VDIMM issue!

Trooper_GR
01-02-2004, 10:50 AM
I sprayed some water from the wc kit on my 9700pro. Card worked after carefull cleaning, but was never quite the same.

Killed my first 9800pro when I removed the silver frame before mounting the Maze4 GPU block. RMA'd this one :)

After that , no more messing around with videocards! :D

Killed my first shuttle AN50R out of my rush to try it with my mach2. RMA'd.

SupaMan
01-02-2004, 11:38 AM
chipped 9700pro core

afireinside
01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
and crucial UK told me they wouldnt accept any more RMAS for me

:lol: You must be a common name to companies than huh?

prommy_fan
01-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by sjohnson
It took me 4 hours to restore the system and the DBA's all night to restore the database. I now use mnemonics like "kill -HUP 1" instead.

Heh, I do :D
m8, sometimes it's better to lost a few seconds and do all right, or save them, but pay a few hours for it ;)
Got same thing as you and now I recheck many important thing, some people say that constant rechecking results in marasm but this is a bu&&§§§§ believe me
:rolleyes:

brwmogazos
01-02-2004, 09:44 PM
:lol: You must be a common name to companies than huh?

Lol...

nope mate...just had to rma 3 sticks in 2 months...anyone would think its no the ram causing the probs ;)....

sjohnson
01-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by prommy_fan
Heh, I do :D
m8, sometimes it's better to lost a few seconds and do all right, or save them, but pay a few hours for it ;)
Got same thing as you and now I recheck many important thing, some people say that constant rechecking results in marasm but this is a bu&&§§§§ believe me
:rolleyes: Heh - was under pressure of too much work at the time. High pressure job, me as sole senior admin and the fecal matter was impinging on the rotating impellers all around me.

My normal admin practice is: key in the command. Wait a few seconds. Carefully read the command. Edit if/as necessary. Key in "Enter"

SupaMan
01-02-2004, 10:35 PM
Jebus how do you guys kill so much stuff?

Well just do what I would do. Get a poster board and write on it "TURN OFF TEC PSU THAN PUMP" and tape it up above my moniter. Maybe make a couple and put em on the way out just incase ;)

hehe, that makes me think of a catastrophe I narrowly avoided. I installed a relay switch kit, and then a week later was working on installing a waterblock in the case somewhere. I uboot the computer back up, and I go to start a game, KoToR, and I get all these artifacts, wtf? After ONE HOUR of fumbling around, I realize the pump isn't on :) one hour...and all that hardware still works :p

Tedinde
01-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Woke up this morning and my vapo was showing an error on the front.

My 3.2 is dead!!!! %#*#$^&@

I got this chip before they were cheap too!!!

JacobHansen
01-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Damn - thats a Bummer..

What 3DMark2K1 did you got?

koensa
01-04-2004, 12:19 PM
my worst hw blow out in 1time:

dont know how,but i killed a lot in one day:

Abit BD7-2
Abit NF7-s
Abit kx7-333
2600+,2500+
256meg pc3200oem(oef)
herc 9800

al that in one day

and i cant rma a lot of pieces cuz it has scrathes and sealstring :-/

now i'm working on a celie1000,256meg ram,3gig hd,and sound/vga OB...this sucks :)

DazzXP
01-04-2004, 12:29 PM
What the hell did you do to them??????

koensa
01-04-2004, 12:31 PM
dunno

some of then have chunks of mottherboard material outa them (the screwdriver bumped into the mobos lol)

the 9800died acidentely because of +4 thru the ram,

cpus burned and chipped

MeltedDuron
09-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Xtreme thread revival!!! good read, we need to update this 2yr old thread, seriously, will post shuttle l8r.

QuikSilver
09-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Amen to that! :banana:

Pomme
09-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I've never killed one piece of hardware, ever. I don't understand it either, think i'm just lucky or something. I repair and assemble servers every working day, so it's not like i don't get the chance to smash an expensive Tyan/SuperMicro board :D

I got close this one time though: wanted to power the computer by connecting the power-pins on the motherboard with my scerwdriver, but someone walked into my office. I accidently connected two of them wrong pins. *sploef* :D a little smoke, a very tine resistor went up in smoke. The board worked like a charme though.

I lost some hardware, but not my fault. Power cuts on a lan brought my Aopen MX3S-T down once

Think it has to do with the fact that i 'm a complete control freak when it comes to computers, everything needs to be done perfectly. Heck, i flipp when i see a wire in a 5 mile radius of a fan when i open a computer case ;)

Oh wait, i got my finger tip chopped off by a Dragon Orb3 @ 7000 rpm this one time, but that doesn't count, does it ? :)

aja
09-03-2005, 04:46 PM
i plugged an old scanner into my geforce mx440 64meg, top at the time
(dont ask why, i had a typical dumb-man moment, if it fits, then it means it was meant to go there)
......KABOOOOOM.......pop...pop....tshhhhhhhh..... .

that burnt electronics smell, nothing more terrible....(those who are unfortunate enough to go to hell one day will be burdened with the smell of burning electronics, so be nice)

took the card to the shop, they concluded it died from a power surge(not covered by the warranty), but couldn't explain why nothing else in my house died or why only the graphics card died lol....if only they knew what REALLY happened

also lost a nice msi 875 mobo, and about 3 gigabyte mobo's and 2 aopen cd/dvd-roms.
also two cheapy psu's
a 74 gig raptor :brick: it was my favourite dammit!
two seagate hard drives and a maxtor
two mice and two keyboards
stereo speakers(afterwards i decided to get logitch z680's and have never looked back :) )

and the first 533mhz p4, the 1.8 i think, as well as gigabyte mobo, was stolen from the shop while the pc was in for repairs, they then replaced it with a 2,8 for no charge - whoopee!! but it suffered from removing the hsf,when the terrible stock tim pulled the cpu from the socket, damaging it somehow, making it run 20'C hotter than before, i dunno, its weird.....

how do we lose so much? too much LANning and swopping stuff out and tinkering and just plain looking for trouble,like using the program called tweakall to overclock the onboard graphics on an intel pentium2 mobo from stock 100mhz to 300mhz, and the Northbridge didnt even have a heatsink on lol.....also, having been into computers since the early 90's helps to build up a meaty list over the years, i cant even remember all the other things before these ive mentioned......

REMEMBER, there are two types of people in the world, those who have had a crt screen roll along the backseat of a car and smack into the opposite door, and those who havent - clip off the plastic stand and buckle up your screens :stick:

aja
09-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh wait, i got my finger tip chopped off by a Dragon Orb3 @ 7000 rpm this one time, but that doesn't count, does it ? :)

fingers are hardware too :p:

craig588
09-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I had a GF4 that stopped working in my main rig so I tried it in my test rig and it killed my mobo and the sound card. Then the mobo I placed this GF4 into then killed any videocard that was placed into it. The mobo was working fine just minutes before and putting that GF4 into it infected it with evil. I still have the mobo. I burned up the GF4 with a torch. The original mobo that the GF4 died in also became evil, I have that mobo still too.

A NF7-S, a DFI LP S462, 2 R9800s, and a SB Audigy all in one day.

Oh, and this was a year or 2 ago, back when this stuff was worth using.

Batt[o]
09-03-2005, 06:02 PM
I detonated a 3200Clawhammer mobile
80GB WD ATA HD
2x40GB Maxtor ATA HD
TNT2 M64pro
Arescom800 (broadband modem)
Lots of CDr, Floppys, Keyboards (M$ logitech basics)

And a friend's XP2500(barton) MSI K7n2

calcal
09-03-2005, 06:20 PM
my freinds psu and few fans

edit: and a dvd burner, i was sleeving the molex and i mixed the red and yellow wire up....turned the comp on...POP....SMOKE...DEAD : P

Super strokey
09-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Worst thing that ever happened to me is that i had a power surge in my ocz modstream that killed it and then as a result of the surge killed my cpu, my mobo and made my ram work :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty for a few weeks(although it got better go figure)

Ugly n Grey
09-03-2005, 06:32 PM
I blew the capacitors of a mobo I was modding...snap crackle pop... long time ago, was a P Pro Intel board...
I set fire to a power supply once...
uhmmmm I punctured a can of compressed air when I dropped a computer case on it... WOW that scared the crap outta me...
And My biggest screw up ever.... da da da....In 1990 I was repairing a router (BIG Cisco router.... about the size of a 25 inch tv) and I plop...dropped a cuppa java in it while it was on... not telling you what THAT cost IBM

Sentential
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Power surge blew out my 6800GT. The only good clocking GT I ever owned which made it worse

Disposibleteen
09-03-2005, 07:13 PM
The only piece of hardware ive ever killed unintentionally was my 3.0C. I tried to take the IHS off of it and i couldnt get it off, i guess i used too much force becuase now its warped :lol:. Now Intentionally ive ripped apart the mobo and case from a Dell Dimension 8300 after i used most of it to rebuild a better rig. ;)

LorD_Kvadd
09-04-2005, 02:19 AM
I killed a Abit Nf7-S rev2 twice.
First time: Was on a LAN and we were going to overclock a friends computer, thought that he could use my rams. Having completely forgotten that the vtt chips heatsink was in the way. Knocked the vtt chip of the board and that board did 272fsb!
Got a new defect board and took a similar chip (not the vtt chip but it did work) and soldered to the old board. Every thing was fine.

Second time: Some months later the molex I soldered to the mobo to check the vdd somehow unsoldered it self and got contact with the choke next to the vdd chip. Dead :(

I've killed another nf7-s by one of the caps on the backside got contact with another cap. Killed board and my sisters barton 2500+ that did 2.75GHz on air :( I was really angry because I just mounted my prometeia on to the cpu and was hoping for 2,9GHz.

And a friend of mine had a DFi board that killed every agp 8x card he put in there. Worked fine with everything else :P But I think he went through 2 9700pro's before he figured it out.

Flib
09-04-2005, 03:46 AM
The things I killed:

Athlon 1700+ JIUHB:
Don't know why it died. Got a replacement for it :)

Radeon 9500:
Don't know the reason too... But it was V-modded so no replacement.

Duron 1400 Applebred:
The screws of the watercooler were too long and it killed the cpu...

Geforce6800LE:
Got too hot and a coil fell off...
Waiting since weeks for a replacement. I hate Gainward!!! :slapass:

SoddemFX
09-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Killed a GF2mx by feeding the SDRAM off a lab PSU after insulating the 3.3v power connections on the AGP slot. I gave the RAM too much voltage... Shame, that card was doing well...

I had a little A7N8X-X, first i put an SLK900U on it by swapping a large bulk capacitor from front of the board to back, worked ok. With the SLK900U i forgot to place the nylon risers and directly shorted a SMT quad pack resistor which went up on smoke along with several other components.

Board still worked.

Knocked off some long MOSFET heatsinks almost ripping out one of the MOSFETs, needed a bit of soldering to fix.

Board still worked.

Due to the rubbery adhesive pad attatching the heatsink to the northbridge, when i removed it (gung ho style) it sliced open my thumb in 2 places -one to the bone, board got covered with a lot of blood and 2 traces got severed on the northbridge substrate.

Board still worked - although only DIMM 3 works propperly now

Resilient little board :D

Martijn
09-04-2005, 11:19 AM
I once blew up an old Celeron 600CPU for fun... Attached it to an old motherboard and switched it on without a heatsink :D. The small amount of thermal paste still on there just smoked away, then I removed the PSU cable, cause it was getting too dangerous :)

The only thing I blew by accident was an old PSU, switched to 130V instead of 230. You'd probably know what happened after I plugged in the PSU cable...

Xyus89
09-04-2005, 11:44 AM
I wrecked my MSI K8n neo & my +3000 newcastle,

cpu with artis silver fell out of my hands on my socket of the mobo. dead :(

xyus

don_vercetti
09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
i've electorcuted myself on a cable that was swinging around (had fallen off a cathode) and touched the (removable) HDD rack, so that was painful, but nothing lost (aside from the cathode). never had more than one thing go tits up at once, but these stories are making me feel quite wary.

Waus-mod
09-04-2005, 01:16 PM
1 dothan 740 + p4p800se + converter... had them for 1sec :P the droop mod had gone wrong and that was the end of the cpu+motherboard. Gladly i had the same setup back after 3 days.

ZeroX
09-04-2005, 01:41 PM
MB + p3 800eb + FA
2x abit NF7-s
Kt600 abit
Plextor 16x SCSI
2x512mb pc3500 OCZ
2x40gb Seagate
R9800RPO

and less important things..

Remenbering is painfull...

wittekakker
09-04-2005, 01:44 PM
One 1700+ JUIHB killed when installing waterchiller. Never knew why, but when chiller was mounted the mobo just gave my that stupid alarm everytime.
Cleaned up the abit mobo with breakcleaner. Still works, but not 100%
So I got new mobo and new 1700+ JUIHB. When changing from air to watercooling I broke a little peace of the cpu's core. I was just using some paper to get that thermal paste away... cpu still works, I think I was lucky then.
With my celeron 3*0 overclocked to 400MHz I got lucky too. PC was doing weird all the time, but back in those days and knew zero about how all works, so someone came to look at it and then saw my cpu fan wasnt working... Then I just remembered something: few weeks ago I had problems with that stupid mobo alarm. So I tried bios and changed some things that could be the problem... and it worked! I had done my first succesfull job on repairing my own pc! Well, atleast that's what I thought... I just turned off overheat protection and almost killed my celly :)
Just killed something last week. My 6800GT when voltmodding. Card is still alive, but gets 0,8V on gpu so black screen hole the time. Monitor stays in stanby. Maybe it can be fixed again, maybe not...

Nothing realy special

InSanCen
09-04-2005, 01:58 PM
when a kid at our last LAN party turned off my pump and didn't shut down the rest of the rig!

Someone would have died painfully, really slowly, and incredibly painfully... If it aint yours, dont :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: ing touch it!

szukalski
09-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I blew a PSU by trying to plug in a dvd-rw drive with the unit already on.

QuikSilver
09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
my death list for the past few years:

-Asus 6600GT (cracked the core when reinstalling my custom heatsink, gave me an excuse to buy a better card :D )
-Maxtor 80gig HDD
-An entire PIII machine because of a crappy psu
-6x crappy psu's whilst doing some stupid things with them :slap:

steelballzz
09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
well
i got this 2nd hand enermax 365... :slapass:
mounted the thing and run 5 loops of memstest......
then i hit the ESC.....
Buuuuum.....and a blue flame came from the frigiin psu...i was like 50 cm from it :slobber:
i still dont know what happened there

eliminate
09-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I have burned a few XP 2200+'s a while ago when the HSF wasn't completely flat on the bottom, and I have screwed up a few Audigy 2 ZSs (Thank You RMA)

uOpt
09-05-2005, 11:04 AM
I just returned from much needed vacation.

I say much neededbecause in the 36 hours before my last work day I damaged both my Thinkpad and my dual Opteron.

The Thinkpad wasn't spectacular, it just didn't like a 1.5m drop onto naked concrete floor. Since I'm in the U.S. now I am working on sueing the company who constructed the floor. It's an office building after all, so it has to protect office equipment, no?

The dual Opteron had an unwilling BIOS and I booted the new BIOS floppy without reading the specific instructions. The Phoenix server BIOS does automatically pick up a BIOS and flash it without any further interaction - with the default parameter which are wrong and won't POST.

An Arima/Rioworks enginer was willing to help me if I manually re-go through the full sequence of unplugging everything first, trying different video card etc. During that I damaged the system when plugging in a PCI video card, it wouldn't even power on now.

At that point I decided not to touch one of the computer thingies before my vacation :)

Revv23
09-05-2005, 12:30 PM
lost an Ic7g for no reason, i acciedentally touched the probes of my multimeter together, putting something like 7 volts through my ti4200 before i realized what happened, and i killed an NF2 infinity with 2.4v on the passivly aircooled NB

most other stuff was DOA, and alot of it.

nn_step
09-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I bought a abit and tried to overclock it..
Fried quick, cap blew like bottle rockets, and melted my XP :sad:

Paxi
09-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I dropped my GF 4 Ti 4200 64mb a year ago after i ripped up a transistor and i wanted to solder it back on :D
and i destroyed a friends Ide harddriver ;)

faruquehabib
09-05-2005, 01:22 PM
my room ate built his own pc without my overwatching while i was away for a month. so i come back and take a look at it to see if all is well. looks ok...then i look into the important stuff, like cpu-s, etc...turns out it is running at 100fsb, and the cpu is a 2800+ barton (333fsb default). so i go into bios and do the jumpers and all to make it 333fsb stock...nogo. i think its the crappy 200w psu he is running, so i give him my spare hi-power 300w. still no boot at 333fsb. so i take it from step one. first thing i check is the hsf. when i took it off, to my suprise, NO CONTACT WITH THE CORE!!! the 2800+ barton was running at 1400 some odd MHz with NO COOLING WHATSOEVER! so i played it cool, praying it still would run at stock. my roomate didnt know what the hell was going on. anyways, amazingly, it is running today perfect at stock. i was amazed that the cpu lasted almost a month, albeit underclocked, with no cooling on the core.

twiggy
09-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I was putting my rig together once and being careless. Scratched the mobo but didnt notice, turned it on and it took out a a64 3400+, DFI nf3(of coarse), 9800p, 1Gb Gskill LE and a Antec 550w TC.

Thats my worst hardware blowout.... Almost made me cry.:hehe:

elec999
09-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Xp2800+
Xp2400+
512 ddram pc2100
Some hdds, motherboard.
Thanks

Vince2005
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Well I haven't killed anything but I have made some mistakes once I forgot to plug in my heatsink fan and my rig was overclocked to 2.6 and I was using a Chaintec VNF3-230GB and it wouldn't boot I looked in the case and touched the heatsink and it was relly hot and I then relized that my heatsink fan wasn't plugged in.I dropped my Atlon 64 3200 processor on the floor but it didn't get danaged.Recently I put AS5 on my video card processor and RAM and it was touching the circuits on the GPU and it was a pain to clean off and I got it on the circuits on the RAM also.I finally got it to work ok but it hasn't been the same since.I also forgot to plug the fan in on the video card good thing it didn't burnout.Once I ripped a Celeron out of a motherboard because the stock heatsink wouldn't come off the processor was ok with no bent pins.

G H Z
09-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Posted before but worthy of this old thread I guess. 9500 that was pretty decent, god that stunk the house up for days too :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/canny/IMGP0039.jpg

masterofpuppets
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Holy thread revival batman!

My current list:

3 or 4 X800Pro ViVo's:
2 from bad BIOS flash to XTPE.
1 from molex falling out during use.
Final one from dodgy MOSFET.

2 Asus P4C800-E's:
One from condensation.
Another one from a f**ked up clock generator that causes hardlocks when I change FSB.

A Pentium II, that I ran heatsinkless/fanless at 450MHz then burnt up with a lighter + alcohol.

Audigy 2 ZS, which unexpectedly died. I removed it from PCI slot to fit Mach II (in my second P4C800-E). When I put it back in nothing would detect it. I played around with IRQ's, every PCI slot, everything in the book. Just doesn't work.

Enermax fan controller. I ruined one of the thermistors, still works, but not properly.

1.4GHz Factory-unlocked Tbird. Dunno how it "died", but it works fine in some boards, not in others. So I guess it isn't dead.

2x512MB sticks of BH-5. Was adjusting 3.3v rail, and put tons of volts through it. iirc it spiked upto 6v for a sec then I rebooted and no POST. Couple of burnt traces. I really don't know how putting the 3.3v up would cause vdimm spikes, the mobo should be able to step that down the voltage set by BIOS (or vdimm mod), but I it is what killed my P4C800-E.

Plenty of HDD's including:
3 WD Raptors
1 old Samsung Spinpoint
1 old 60GB Maxtor

EDIT: All of these are spread out across 2 years.

Method Man
09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
CPU and MB...back when I used a pelt on my CPU and one on my GPU.

Anyway just got the cpu and wanted to see what she'd do on the pelt so I push it to what I thought was its limit and turn on a stress program....somewhere threw the stress test I fell asleep. Come to wake up about two hours later with the screen black and the fans not running. The pump and PSU for the CPU pelt were both plugged into the wall so when the system crashed the fans cutoff but the pelt and pump kept running. Thank god the pump kept running though or the whole system would of been lost or even worse off a fire.

pleasure
09-05-2005, 10:25 PM
2 XP2400s (AIUHB/AIUGB), both cost $195 USD, and both were fugging expensive. 1 XP2100 AIUHB (also $165). All three cracked by a vapochill in 3 hours.
Same for me. 1700+/2400+ Mobile and 2600+ barton al crunched by vapochill in a week :/

mluckey
09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
I had an Antec Truepower 430 let go while gaming with UT2004 on an OC'ed NF7-S v2.0.

It was running fine at what I thought was a sane speed (12 x 209 Mhz) and the vid card (modded 5900 Ultra, 256 MB at 505/1000), along with a couple of fans keeping things under control, when POP!!!! The PSU started to smoke and the screen went blank. I hit the switch on the power strip and prayed.....

I lost the Mobo, two Maxtor DiamindMax9's, the vid card and the PSU. Total cost was: PSU=RMA, Mobo 79 dollars, 2 x Maxtors = 20 dollars each at Comp USA (they have a liberal policy), and shipping and handling. Not that expensive, but troublesome nonetheless. I switched PSU brands as this was the second to let go on the same sytem.

No issues since. Just goes to show that you can't have too big of a PSU, but you can certainly have one that is too small!!

ozzimark
09-06-2005, 04:45 PM
because i just killed it.. the newark that did 3.1ghz on air:

http://eclipseoc.com/image/chip.jpg

:slap:

bushmeal
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Never killed any hardware (yet) but I did bring down an 800 Gigabyte database server HARD!

Wanted to get init to refresh, meant to type in "kill -1 1"

Mistyped and didn't get the "-" so the command turned into "kill 1 1", equivalent to "kill 1"

That brings a UNIX system down just as if you pulled the plug.

That is funny...reminds me of when I was working for on gov't intelligence software...

"Now, whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE THIS CODE. It's the only one we've got!"
I'm like..."okay, dude." Don't sweat it. Until 15 minutes later, I did a
rm -rf * and wiped out the only copy of source code for intelligence software that was running a few carriers...ohhh damn! :slapass: :nono:

Kasparz
09-06-2005, 10:09 PM
My friend killed 9600se, when put ramsinks on ram, then he touts mosfet, and 9600se was in smoke :mad: then i out new mosfet, and it works :D
Also i killed DFI AK75-EC, don't know why :confused: I unlocking Duron's multiplier, push it to 9x105, and one day the mobo die :D
I also killed 235w noname PSU, put to DFI AK74-EC, and then PSU blows :slapass:

bushmeal
09-07-2005, 05:09 AM
My buddy was replacing his processor. The pink compound (thermal paste) on the heatsink was rough, so he scraped it off. He then thought that it was probably not a good idea. At this point, he buys bubblegum, chews it, puts replaces the pink thermal paste with bubblegum. It's pink like the paste, and after being chewed, it soft. Needless to say what happened next.

When I heard about it, I laughed so hard I cried. Slap on the back of his head and gave him the biggest, WTF. I will always ponder what he was thinking or lack thereof.

Sume4
09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Just about a week ago i changed my x850xt to x800pro vivo@ xt pe with my friend cus i was going for P4C800-E Deluxe for my dothan.
The xt pe was wolt modded and i started to adjust the vmem and after lots and lots of twisting clockwards i got frustrated when nothing happened. My friend said i have to turn like 25times to get something to happen. After turning clock wice i tried counter clock wice. I turned like 15 times and looked at the screen. The whole screen was like a chess board. The picture was seen on the backround but adjusting the volts to normal didnt do any good.

Now when i turn on the system and check the mem with my fingers i almost burn my fingers to one of the mem. Apparently it got some sort of peak of voltage and died on me :rolleyes:

Now as i had enough of dothan im going to amd64 again and dont want to get the same system again after spending lots of money for nothing. So im gonna get 7800GTX as my new pci-e card. All of these cost huge amount of money for me and it gets me crazy. :nuts:

//\\//3W
09-08-2005, 05:14 AM
1gb storage hdd
1ghz duron morgan
1 ps 400w

Rabid_Dog
09-08-2005, 09:11 AM
i was once using a hdd box + fan and fan controller in one when i decided that the stock hdd box fan was too loud, i unplugged the hdd box not remebering that it controlled my cpu fan.
Needless to say, about 2 mins later, the comp locked up and wouldn't restart, that is when i smelled burning. i lost a top of the range athlon xp(well, top of the range at the time!), some hyperx memory($$$) the mobo, two hdds, a cdrw, the psu and v.expensive video card.

also some time ago, in the days when the p3 800mhz was good, i unplugged my comp at the wall with it turned on, something went wrong, and it wouldn't start up using the switch on the case, so i was using a screwdriver to short the pins and turn it on. It wouldn't POST, then i heard a bang, and smoke was billowing from the psu, i lost a very expensive computer that day.

anyway, i was young and naive back then!!!

p0ts
09-10-2005, 10:33 AM
once I killed a Chaintech kt400 board , when i was buiding the pc 1 screw dropped on the mobo and i didnt see it , when i pushed the pwr button it died :(

got a new one in a week so nothing big for me

RussianBlue
09-16-2005, 09:03 PM
FLYING DISK - Got a brand new WD 80GB SE 8MB HD when they were first out - $199 or something. I was tearing open the static bag a bit carelessly and couldn't get it open. Finally, it ripped suddenly and I'd been using so much force, the disk literally went flying through the air up to about a 7 ft level and about 45 degrees trajectory away from me. It bounced HARD once on my work table, and then 2 more times on the floor - time stopped there for a moment - I couldn't hear a thing, then BLANG! The crash was deafening. I didn't even bother trying to test it after that.

LITE FUSE & GET AWAY - I was playing around inside my PowerEdge 2650 rackmount with the modded fans I'd installed (had to get rid of the friggin 6, count em, SIX, hi-speed 60mm Deltas in that thing which sounded like 6 hairdryers running simultaneously). Well, one of the wire leads came loose from one of my fans when I was pulling it out and touched the motherboard. The server shut off immediately and a fuse-like ball of fire snaked along one of the traces on the mobo for about 3 seconds along a 2 inch strip. The smell was horrific and the room was FILLED with smoke. Needless to say, we had no email until the Dell guy got there the next day and replaced my board which had "electrical problems".

RB

SrJabardo
09-17-2005, 07:10 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The disk thing... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I've imagined it.. and start laughing like a FOOL.. loooooooooooooool
rotflol :D :D :D :D :D

dastt
09-17-2005, 07:13 AM
ive had a 2500 and a 2600 burn out on me in the same day becuase of a faulty DFI board, needless to say it took aobut 3 months but we got a full refund for the board and one proc.

RussianBlue
09-18-2005, 08:19 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The disk thing... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I've imagined it.. and start laughing like a FOOL.. loooooooooooooool
rotflol :D :D :D :D :D

SrJabardo, glad you liked the story. I was actually laughing at the time myself. Although shocked, I wasn't gonna let it ruin my day! And it was funny how it BOUNCED on the floor 2 times. It looked like i was just tossing it deliberately.

Supertim0r
09-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I dropped a 840EE at work last month and broke a cap :(
The same day, I killed an old 3200+ with a bad heatsink mount...wasn't a lucky day :slap:

dastt
09-18-2005, 06:56 PM
I dropped a 840EE at work last month and broke a cap :(
The same day, I killed an old 3200+ with a bad heatsink mount...wasn't a lucky day :slap:

expensive day

Circaflex
09-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I lost a 9800 pro, 2.8C, P4C800 Deluxe, 1gb Kingston HyperX, Powersupply all in one fatal blow. To this day i dont know what caused it, but i rma'd everything. I think the psu took everything out, after that i recieved a dead p4c800 deluxe and had to send it back again.

VisiV
09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
on a stock Vaio (dont remember model number) with a 1.8GHz P4 Willamette..... the north bridge on the mobo fried... not really "fried".... no modding whatsoever. Just up and quit.... kind of turned me off of intel right then and there, because the board was intel.... everything else still worked fine after ordering a new mobo and case (damn mini/micro atx forced me too). Short time ago the HDD from that pc decides it doent like SMART anymore.

S!1v3rB@cK_Dk
09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I've never killed one piece of hardware, ever. I don't understand it either, think i'm just lucky or something. I repair and assemble servers every working day, so it's not like i don't get the chance to smash an expensive Tyan/SuperMicro board :D

I got close this one time though: wanted to power the computer by connecting the power-pins on the motherboard with my scerwdriver, but someone walked into my office. I accidently connected two of them wrong pins. *sploef* :D a little smoke, a very tine resistor went up in smoke. The board worked like a charme though.

I lost some hardware, but not my fault. Power cuts on a lan brought my Aopen MX3S-T down once

Think it has to do with the fact that i 'm a complete control freak when it comes to computers, everything needs to be done perfectly. Heck, i flipp when i see a wire in a 5 mile radius of a fan when i open a computer case ;)

Haha! I tried kinda the same thing with a high rpm 120mm fan. It was standing on my table blowing into my computer, then suddently it tips over, and of course my hand was underneath it at that time.. So it chopped of the tip of my little finger!!
Damn what a "bloody" fan it became!

DeltZ
09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
IC7-G via volt mods...slipped and took off a resistor and a solder pad... couldn't fix it after that.

Tagan 480watt PSU..shorted it inside while it was on...boom...
thought i destroyed my computer while trying to stabilize Vmem voltage using the 3.3 volt line of psu to connect to a end of a resistor was just holding it there...had just stuck a raw wire into the 20 pin connector and clamped it down...nothing....bios showed no increase or anything in voltage...

then i decide hmm... probably not connection to the 3.3 volt line...
so i touch it to the computer case
CRACK

wire melted to my case and everything just switches off

I take the wireout....press power button
NOTHING:

so i sit down....nearly cry say "fs"...Turn off PSU

wait 5 minutes while i'm sad
try the PC again and BOOT :D

s7e9h3n
09-22-2005, 04:19 PM
How about this:
Back in the day when I was OC'n the p41.6a, I was literally one of the first people to snatch up an Abit it7 when they were released (it cost ~$220 IIRC :( ). I went home and first tested on air before installing my wc loop. Saw the chip get it's highest speed to date 2.8G :eek: . So I took out the heatsink and then installed my cpu block and vga block. I then stumbled upon this maze1 chipset block I had lying around. I don't know how I convinced myself that it was OK to install it on my new mobo without the correct mounting hardware, but I did - using that little wire that held down the stock passive chipset heatsink and some epoxy = bad idea :rolleyes: . I turned on my computer and walked away while it was booting. I came back and took a took a glance at my work. I then noticed this glowing red light next the the memory slots. I thought to myself "Wow, this board even has an LED for the memory slots!" I went in to take a closer look and that's when I realized that it wasn't an LED, but an IC which had gotten so hot, it was burning red. Next thing I know, there's a puff of smoke and I see my chipset block fall off the board....and about half a second later, I see the chipset fall out of the board :hm: Seems as if the waterblock on the chipset had slipped a tiny bit and touched one of the transistors on the chipset and as we all know, that's not a good thing......Well in the end the death toll was comprised of this:
(1) Brand new and one of the first produced Abit IT7's
(1) Outrageous OC'n p41.6a which had blown off a pin during the meltdown
(2) Sticks of Corsair XMS 3200 which could do ~230ish 2.2.2.5 iirc and that was fast at the time ;)
(1) Danger den chipset block which I threw out the window since I was so pissed
Needless to say, I haven't tried watercooling my chipset since then...But I will again soon with my current board :p:

Vince2005
09-30-2005, 07:55 PM
I had a bad accident when I was done installing my water cooling I went to boot up the computer and it wouldn't boot so I changed the motherboard and I tried starting it and it went on for a sec then turned off so I tried again and it just beeped so then I tried the RAM in another computer a compaq and then it beeped too so I took the RAM out and put some diffrent RAM still no boot and after looking at the RAM I foundout it was burned so in the end I messed up 2 motherboard and 2 sticks of RAM.

AACDIRECT
09-30-2005, 09:31 PM
The only thing I killed was a SATA HD. I was making a custom length Sata cable and reversed a power and ground cable. (I had done this a million times but was not paying attention.) One of the chips on the PCB literally blew off the board. The SATA power connector was melted onto the HD. Luckily nothing else bought the farm.

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
10-01-2005, 06:07 PM
was typing a report for high school 2 years ago, my chair leg broke, as i fell i grabbed the edge of the table, which caused the table leg to snap. a desktop computer, monitor, and laptop all crashed to the floor.

nothing was overclocked.

DeltZ
10-02-2005, 02:12 PM
was typing a report for high school 2 years ago, my chair leg broke, as i fell i grabbed the edge of the table, which caused the table leg to snap. a desktop computer, monitor, and laptop all crashed to the floor.

nothing was overclocked.
ROFL!!!!!

man...that should have been filmed..

I've seen someone trip over a wire lying on the floor and completely down a desktop computer and monitor and everything

that was HILLARIOUS

Welz
10-02-2005, 02:23 PM
well, i cracked the core on my 1.6 applebread :(

IvanAndreevich
10-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Bubble tea + brand new laptop = ouch (friend did this, not me :)).