PDA

View Full Version : Another "how to set up loop" thread

Soulwind
04-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Well, I thought I'd throw my loop(s) out there for comments and criticisms.

I'm getting ready to start building my new machine and I've got a couple of possibilites on loop setup, so I'm looking for opinions.

Components to cool:
I7-930 - EK Supreme HF
fullcover EK MB block
HT 5870 - EK fullcover block
HT 5870 - EK fullcover block
EK crossfire connection block (maybe...looks neat and looks like it might be slightly easier/safer than short barbs + tubes)
2 DDC 3.2 pumps with petra tops
2 PA 120.3 and 1 PA 120.2 rads
lots of S-Flex F fans

So first, I'm not sure if I should go with the serial or parallel vga bridge blocks, but I'm leaning to serial...everything else is serially connected.

---

Now, I've got the choice of going with 2 loops:

Res->Pump->CPU->MB->PA120.3->PA120.2->back to res
Res->Pump->5870->5870->PA120.3->back to res

Or one big loop using everything:

Res->Pump->CPU->PA120.3->Pump->5870->5870->PA120.3->MB->PA120.2

---

I know that using 2 loops is normally/probably best, but I'm intrigued with the one big-ass loop idea.

I figure that using one loop would let the components utilize the rads to full effect and that having both pumps in the loop should (mostly?) compensate for the extra rads and restriction. Plus I'd have the slight safety of still having some flow if one pump should fail.

However, I haven't tested yet to see if the big loop really is acceptable or if putting the pumps together in series like that would be more trouble than it's worth.

So, opinions? Feel free to be critical if I'm doing something dumb here :D

Kenjiwing
04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Get a EK Supreme HF instead of LT for your cpu.

Soulwind
04-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Oops, actually it is supposed to be the HF, I just had a brain fart there.

Waterlogged
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Putting the GPU's in parallel will reduce overall restriction in the loop. Unlike other parallel scenario's, you don't have to worry about balancing the flow because it's so simple, a caveman can do it. :rofl:

the finisher
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I learned alot from lurking for years here, and reading Waterlogged's advice. Constantly, consistent. OP listen too him.;)

Not sucking up, as if that was possible):poke:

overclocking101
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I would go. RES>PUMP>RAD>RAD>Block>RES

there ought to be a sticky about loop orientation due to the sheer amount of threads powted asking about it.

Soulwind
04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I've always been under the impression that [other than res before pump] actual loop order makes little to no difference in a 24/7 machine, and that simply going with shortest/cleanest tubing runs is the topper there.

And I always listen to Waterlogged :) He helped me a lot in setting up my first wc system a couple of years ago.

I may not always take the advice (I like to play around with different *odd*/*stupid* ideas just to see what happens), but I always listen :)

the finisher
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I've always been under the impression that [other than res before pump] actual loop order makes little to no difference in a 24/7 machine, and that simply going with shortest/cleanest tubing runs is the topper there.

And I always listen to Waterlogged :) He helped me a lot in setting up my first wc system a couple of years ago.

I may not always take the advice (I like to play around with different *odd*/*stupid* ideas just to see what happens), but I always listen :)

Sure you do, just sucking up.:rofl:

Sadasius
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I would go. RES>PUMP>RAD>RAD>Block>RES

there ought to be a sticky about loop orientation due to the sheer amount of threads powted asking about it.

Funny you should say that...http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225485....Yes it is a sticky and you have just shown that sometimes people don't read them and will make threads anyway.

Waterlogged
04-09-2010, 08:30 PM
I learned alot from lurking for years here, and reading Waterlogged's advice. Constantly, consistent. OP listen too him.;)

Not sucking up, as if that was possible):poke:

WHAT, I CAN'T HEAR YOU SUCKING UP OVER THOSE SA'S. :ROTF:

Hey, it's all good, that's how we learn.:up: I sometimes don't follow my own advice either. :para: