PDA

View Full Version : would u guys buy custom hdmi cables

zanzabar
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
i was thinking of making some 600mhz+ hdmi cables, the prices for a full spec cat2 hdmi cable seamed ridiculous and cat6a cabling is cheap so i was going to make a few cables if i could find some hdmi ends to use. if i did make some would u guys buy the extra for full spec cables from 3-50m, sleeved and heatshrunk for protection and how much would u guys pay.

im not trying to sell them in the thread or currently just finding if it would be worth doing it.

NKrader
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
i would pay for what ever.. but i buy "monster" products cuz they are pretty.. lol

Nanometer
04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
hdmi is hdmi, like cat 5 is cat 5. Makes no difference what you buy, and there's plenty of reviews to prove it.

HuffPCair
04-06-2010, 08:32 PM
hdmi is hdmi, like cat 5 is cat 5. Makes no difference what you buy, and there's plenty of reviews to prove it.

THANK GOD someone finally knows something.

NKrader
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM

THANK GOD someone finally knows something.

nuh uhhhh ur a lier.. look at the monstercable site :rofl::yepp:.. no i dont know how monstercable can lie all the time...

but on a serious note

i love monster cables because they are really flexible and nice cables and they last a while most of the hdmi cheaps i bought when i got my home theater system have broken or fail to sync the dvd player to receiver.. :shakes: the 80$ monstercable looks works and feels like the day I took it out of the box.. amazing. :) :shrug:

thats my two cents :P

SoulsCollective
04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
i love monster cables because they are really flexible and nice cables and they last a while most of the hdmi cheaps i bought when i got my home theater system have broken or fail to sync the dvd player to receiver.. :shakes: the 80$ monstercable looks works and feels like the day I took it out of the box.. amazing. :) :shrug:

thats my two cents :P
If you're in the US (I'm presuming "Or" is a US state as you don't list a country), I'd suggest looking at Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/tartan-hdmi-cables.htm) instead. Same build quality, fraction of the price.

NKrader
04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
If you're in the US (I'm presuming "Or" is a US state as you don't list a country), I'd suggest looking at Blue Jeans Cable (http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/tartan-hdmi-cables.htm) instead. Same build quality, fraction of the price.

they are kinda ugly.. lol.. im retarded dont try to fix it :shakes:

the guy from perth omggg.. lol

also OP look at prices on ebay.. etc if you show them alot of love im sure you could sell the for more :) i would love some hdmi with MDPC single braid sleeving :0

zanzabar
04-06-2010, 09:15 PM

there is a difference from cat1 to cat2 and long cat2 cables (6m+) cost alot of money when compared to 3 strands of cat6a. then finding long cat2 that will do dual link for 120hz is an even bigger problem and expense.

ive wanted to make a set of my own cabled for a while now so i was going to do it anyways i just wanted to know if any1 was interested

that blue jean place has nice prices for what should be full spec cables 24 awg

W1zzard
04-06-2010, 11:04 PM
just buy the cheapest hdmi cables you can find, there is no difference in image quality

PaganII
04-06-2010, 11:19 PM
And all those 1.3 Hdmieaou cables won't work with 3D. Will need 1.4 cables for that. Keeps changing every year. Lucky I still have an analog HDTV. Blueray works with component @1080i and have analog 7.1 to receiver. Works every time, no handshake or blinking issues. One of these days digital may catch up with analog but the conveniences are not worth the issues.

zanzabar
04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
just buy the cheapest hdmi cables you can find, there is no difference in image quality

i have a bunch of cheap cat1 6-12' cables (comcast gives them out) and they dont do 1080p60/30/24 so there is a problem with cheap ones, and its about $30 for a 12' cable and i figured thats $2-3 worth of cables and 2 ends so it should be $10 a cable and i could heatshrink/sleeve them nice and with different colored heatshrink for easy identification.

and its not a waste of time as im unemployed with nothing better to do

Soulburner
04-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Since I shop at Monoprice, I don't need anything else. It would be hard if not impossible to compete with their prices and quality.

Monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com) > *

And all those 1.3 Hdmieaou cables won't work with 3D. Will need 1.4 cables for that. Keeps changing every year. Lucky I still have an analog HDTV. Blueray works with component @1080i and have analog 7.1 to receiver. Works every time, no handshake or blinking issues. One of these days digital may catch up with analog but the conveniences are not worth the issues.
Not necessarily true - 1.3 works with 3D, as will be proven with the Playstation 3. It just cannot do 3D in 1080p, but 1080i.

zanzabar
04-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Since I shop at Monoprice, I don't need anything else. It would be hard if not impossible to compete with their prices and quality.

Not necessarily true - 1.3 works with 3D, as will be proven with the Playstation 3. It just cannot do 3D in 1080p, but 1080i.

that site has even better prices and is cheaper than what i could do.

for 3d its not know what will work yet, u need 550mhz hdmi for 120hz 1080p so those cables that were over kill might do 3d, it just depends on how the blue tooth to the glasses is sent

Soulburner
04-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm just stating what Sony has said about its Playstation 3 firmware update coming later in the year. They wouldn't be implementing 3D with their HDMI 1.3 ports if it wasn't possible :)

Mescalamba
04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
There is difference between cables, cheap with low quality shielding can give funny things on TV. :D But thats it, its not analog.. so no difference, sorry..

ownage
04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

+1
I remember buying a 10 meter hdmi cable for 40 euro' s. That was 2,5 years ago. The store where I bought my tv also tried to sell me a 120 euro HDMI cable, only 2 meter. Never had any problem with my cheap cables. Expensive HDMI cables are a big scam.

RADCOM
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM

Thats not true, monster have scientifically proven that their cables provide rounder 0's and straighter 1's thus enabling a cleaner signal and clearer picture :rolleyes:

masterg
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
why should i pay monster cable 60$ for a 7ft hdmi cable when i bought a 10ft hdmi cable for $.80 and $1.00 shipping on amazon. works fine with my playstation 3.

masterg
04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
my bad it was $.82 with $2.95 shippping

Serpentarius
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
how bout sleaving the HDMI?

zanzabar
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
why should i pay monster cable 60$ for a 7ft hdmi cable when i bought a 10ft hdmi cable for $.80 and $1.00 shipping on amazon. works fine with my playstation 3.

any cat2 cable will be fine, but long cat2 cables tend to be about $30+ unless u import it from china, u can get a cheap cat1 cable and it will look like crap with pixelation (ill get a pic, coming soon)

how bout sleaving the HDMI?

there is no point to sleaving a single wire cable IMO, i was planning to use 3 lengths of cat6a Ethernet that would need to be sleeved to look nice and to keep it tight

edit- so today affter re hooking up my pc with the POS cat1 cable comcast gave me its not giving pixelation anymore on the pc or ps3. its great that it works but it defeats my point completely

masterg
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
any cat2 cable will be fine, but long cat2 cables tend to be about $30+ unless u import it from china, u can get a cheap cat1 cable and it will look like crap with pixelation (ill get a pic, coming soon)

i meant my question in the form of both cables are the same thing, but i paid 3.77$ for my cable which works as well as any 60$ monster cable

The_Beast
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM

I love monoprice, they cannot be beaten for price on cables

Nanometer
04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Thats not true, monster have scientifically proven that their cables provide rounder 0's and straighter 1's thus enabling a cleaner signal and clearer picture :rolleyes:

I hope that's sarcastic, Monster Cable is the biggest gimmick after the hybrid vehicles.

Serra
04-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I will agree that I have seen HDMI cabling which was not up to snuff either not work with all loads or produce noticeable pixelation that disappeared once a better quality HDMI cable was put in. With that said, I also agree that Monster (et al.) prices are not fully necessary because the signals are digital and they either get there or they don't.

-- However --
Say what you will about Monster, you know you can trust their performance claims... they'll just charge you an arm and a leg for it. On the other side you look at a random Chinese cable manufacturer and you know that the price is dirt cheap, but you get no real guarantee that all cables you buy from them will indeed transfer all your 0's and 1's reliably for the useful lifetime of the product.

Part of the problem is that the vast majority of HDMI cables are (like most cables in the world) made in China in one of a small set of factories and are simply rebranded for different US customers or have different styles of ends clipped on - and terrible as it may sound, a solid best practice of cable purchasing (whether for network cables, HDMI, etc) is not to buy Chinese. Again, I know it sounds terrible, but there is simply enough malpractice that goes on in their cable manufacturing industry that no professional would seriously purchase them unless they wanted to fleece their end customer OR they were able to solidly verify their source OR they were willing to retest every cable before reselling to ensure that it did come from who they thought it did (swapping out cheaper cables at a shipping dock is not unheard of). Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are some good manufacturers there, but you have to be able to identify the source down to the factory to confirm it's a good one, and then you do still have to be able to vouch for the shipping docks too. Anyway, as a result the rule is to buy only brands that are US-made (in the US at least), and at present the only manufacturers I'm aware of that make their own product in the US are Belden and Monster, but presumably there are others.

Now as for making your own HDMI cables... I am very curious about how you intend to do it Zanz. Do keep in mind that as "cheap" as Cat 6a may seem, that's really just 8 wires... HDMI is 19 - more than twice the number of wires. And, presumably, they must all be twisted consistently a set number of turns/meter as well, and then enclosed within a small footprint without losing too much signal at the ends. If you can do it at a reasonable cost I'm in, but I think you'll find that unless you're doing high volume and can get a machine to do a lot of the work the end amount of labor would make your cables cost more than Monsters retail cost (only about 10% of which is actual manufacturing/R&D cost, but that's a rant for another day).

Donnie27
04-14-2010, 08:18 AM
I've shopped at all 3, Parts Express, Monoprice and Bluegenes. I've never had a problem with any of their cables. The only thing wrong with many expensive cables I've installed for folks are their prices IMHO! I'm becoming a little too partial to Dayton Cables though. I love Amazon as well. Hehehehe the $2.98 X 2 shipping was more than all four iPhone accessories I bough there. Earphone with Mic, Cover, Chargers for Car and Home. I'm shocked when those 1 cent items actually work. Bought 100' of some very nice 10 gauge speaker wire for $20, went there to get 14 gauge for 2 40 foot runs. I thought the $20 price was a typo! The sellers even tried to sell me two more rolls. I typed the price twice so yall' wouldn't think I made a typo.

I had one guy who saw the Goasting problem with my HTPC and LCD as a cable problem. "Your cheap cable is the problem" he said. I told him that it wasn't and it was; a. My ATI 3650 (via HDMI adapter out from the card) or b.My Liteon 4X BD ROM player. Or even an outside chance Power DVD 10. DVD's look and sound great via HDMI from the DVD player or the Computer's DVD or BD. So we unplugged my $4 6' Dayton cable and installed his $72 Monster 6' cable. Zero difference at all. It's your TV he said, I said no it isn't and switched to my Set-Top BD player and watched the same scene with virtually no Goasting at all in 120 or 24p modes.

Games? I can only play old games like Unreal Tournament. 3650 sucks balz for anything newer LOL! There's NO ghosting in games and no lip-sync issues either.

squishee
04-15-2010, 06:10 AM
I know one guy that would buy them "Computurd" but he has a strange FETISH for hdmi cables

Donnie27
05-14-2010, 05:09 AM
I know one guy that would buy them "Computurd" but he has a strange FETISH for hdmi cables

Yepp and seeing the fight over Killer Nic's newest Snake Oil Product shows there's still plenty of fools and their Cash.

Musho
05-15-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah, I bought final fantasy XIII and got my brother's PS3, and just needed a HDMI cable to hook up the PS3 to my monitor. Quick trip to the nearest shops and those retards were trying to sell me cables of 40 euros, because it would look so much better than cheap 5 euro cables. I left and finally found a cable at 7,50 euros. Still kinda expensive, but needed one quickly, so I just bought it. Zero problems, and cristal clear. Makes me a sad panda knowing tons of people would probably take the "professional's" speech as truth. :down::shakes:

Nanometer
05-16-2010, 10:52 PM

1. I would give you 100 bucks if you could tell the difference between cables.
2. How does it make you look when you reference a company that everyone knows is full of crap?

Monster does make nice products, but don't think for one second you are paying for quality. If you want to buy your snake oil go right a head.. but its been proven plenty of times a 10 dollar hdmi cable shows just as good of a picture as a 70 dollar cable from monster. I haven't bought one first hand, but I doubt you have purchased both and compared them together. Rounder 0 and clearer 1s? are you high? While it does lead to less distortion, the levels you are talking about is like the difference between Prime 95 and OCCT.

ajaidev
05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I dont know if this point has been made but there are Chinese spdif cable's that actually are so thin that they hamper the flow of light beam.

Besides when you hook up a super expensive and good looking A/V reviver with better looking cables it increases the bling factor and also make the overall package look good.

I have a monster hdmi cable and a GoldX optical spdif...

Musho
05-17-2010, 05:12 AM
2. How does it make you look when you reference a company that everyone knows is full of crap?

Monster does make nice products, but don't think for one second you are paying for quality. If you want to buy your snake oil go right a head.. but its been proven plenty of times a 10 dollar hdmi cable shows just as good of a picture as a 70 dollar cable from monster. I haven't bought one first hand, but I doubt you have purchased both and compared them together. Rounder 0 and clearer 1s? are you high? While it does lead to less distortion, the levels you are talking about is like the difference between Prime 95 and OCCT.

I might be mistaken, but I think he was being sarcastic :p:

Bobsama
05-17-2010, 05:49 AM

Ehm, I'm fairly sure that RADCOM was being sarcastic. It's not too tough for digital equipment, especially with error-correction (or at least error-detection), to screw up the difference between a "0" and a "1". Monster's marketing claims are only true when you're comparing theirs to entirely-inadequate equipment.

For example, their ever-popular method to sell thicker gauge speaker biwire? They compare a 50' roll of #24, #26, or #28 AWG biwire to a 50' of their #16 AWG biwire. The difference is very obvious; fifty feet of #16 has a total resistance of about 0.2 ohms. Fifty feet of #28 AWG has a total resistance of 3.245 ohms. With loudspeakers especially, there's a tolerance of 5% of the nominal speaker impedance for the speaker wire. If you're using 8-ohm loudspeakers, that means that the max impedance of the wire should be 0.4 ohms; 50' of #16 wire is 0.2 ohms and thus falls within the tolerances. Upgrading to #12 wire and you're down to 0.08 ohms. You may hear a slight difference between the two, but both are adequate.

In Monster's frequent sales demonstrations, they make a lot of mistakes. One is they're running the loudspeakers off a stereo recording with a different channel of audio going to each. Second, they're not disclosing technical specs of the wire; they call theirs premium speaker wire and charge a hefty price-tag but don't disclose the actual gauge (and vary the coating thickness; two different lines of Monster-brand #16 wire may appear quite different because one has a thicker coat and thus seems more like #14 wire). Et cetera.

When considering purely digital applications, there are two things necessary. First is to stay within the engineering tolerances and the second is to have a reliable connection. Both can be done without spending $100+ on a single cable; copper-core wire is a well-known quantity and is very inexpensive; you can typically afford much thicker copper wires for the same $/ft as silver-core wire.

Donnie27
05-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I bought final fantasy XIII and got my brother's PS3, and just needed a HDMI cable to hook up the PS3 to my monitor. Quick trip to the nearest shops and those retards were trying to sell me cables of 40 euros, because it would look so much better than cheap 5 euro cables. I left and finally found a cable at 7,50 euros. Still kinda expensive, but needed one quickly, so I just bought it. Zero problems, and cristal clear. Makes me a sad panda knowing tons of people would probably take the "professional's" speech as truth. :down::shakes:

Sad commentary about the ethics of current salespeople. Even in this modern Information age where lies can be googled and instantly called to task, the attempts are still made to rip folks off.

It is also time for us to take responsibility for our own action/s. We have the info at our finger tips and most time/s facts are just seconds away. Naw, what you paid isn't that bad for something that was needed quickly but at least you saw first hand why companies like Monster can suck real bad.

Nanometer
05-17-2010, 07:47 AM
then if that's the case then i apologize haha

Donnie27
05-19-2010, 09:18 AM
http://gizmodo.com/282725/the-truth-about-monster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii

""" Monster has a point about future-proofing. I have no doubt, given our testing, that Monster cables can outperform other cables in video formats that are not yet in use. What does this mean for a consumer? Does it make sense to spend $300 now on a 50-foot cable, assuming you will spend thousands to upgrade all of your video equipment around it in the next few years? Logic dictates that the answer is no.

• The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins. Fortunately for Monster, there are plenty of those people. They're not even suckers, they are just rich as hell, and want the best. This testing did not prove that Monster is not the best. It just proved that the best is, for the most part, unnecessary."""

http://consumerist.com/2008/02/monster-cables-monster-ripoff-80-markups.html

Monster responds and digs an even Deeper hole.

There is also a comment about digital cables not making a difference and that the only difference in digital cables is the price. This is simply not the case. HDMI Licensing, LLC, the group that develops the HDMI specification, has published two different cable speeds for the current 1.3 specification: Standard Speed at 2.23 Gbps, and High Speed at 4.95 Gbps, which is known as HDMI 1.3 Category 2. For more information, go to www.hdmi.org.

http://consumerist.com/2008/02/monster-responds-to-monster-cables-monster-ripoff.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-774

* High performance cables that don't break the bank
* Supports resolutions up to 1600p, refresh rates up to 240 Hz, and 48-bit Deep Color
* CL3-rated jacket for permanent in-wall installations
* ATC certified HDMI v1.3b Category 2 for speeds up to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
* HDCP compliant and also supports Lip Sync audio/video synchronization
Price; $7.00

The problem is that in this age of the Information Hi-way, to tell a lie is foolishness! But Monster has a hard time believing! Well as long as Fools keep them in business I guess it is OK LOL!

Celeron Gamer
05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Ehm, I'm fairly sure that RADCOM was being sarcastic. It's not too tough for digital equipment, especially with error-correction (or at least error-detection), to screw up the difference between a "0" and a "1". Monster's marketing claims are only true when you're comparing theirs to entirely-inadequate equipment.

I'm interested in knowing what transfer protocol have bit parity or error correction(e.g. Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, PCM, AC3, HDMI video,etc) :)

Donnie27
05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm interested in knowing what transfer protocol have bit parity or error correction(e.g. Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, PCM, AC3, HDMI video,etc) :)

Did you go to HDMI.org and check?

JordanRHughes
05-31-2010, 09:36 AM
The monster cable are a rip off. Ask any tech. You pay $100 for a cable that costs the stare $6.00. Any cables with the right connections will do. Unless you have too much money.

defect9
05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
I think some of the speaker cable I run is from a 50 ft roll I bought more than 15 years ago. It's got lasting power (probably due to the sheer amount of insulation on that stuff), and I'm a cheap bastard now.

Donnie27
06-01-2010, 08:03 AM
I think some of the speaker cable I run is from a 50 ft roll I bought more than 15 years ago. It's got lasting power (probably due to the sheer amount of insulation on that stuff), and I'm a cheap bastard now.

I got a deal on some wire from one of the many Amazon shops.

http://www.amazon.com/Link-SW10G100Z-Feet-Gauge-Speaker/product-reviews/B000OQ6RXE/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I agree with the Video review, the one saying it is not 10gu must have received a wrong order. I used my 12gu stripper and found some of the strands of wires still inside the insulation.

Lmui
07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
To be honest, Monster cables are of consistent quality so I'd be pretty sure that they always worked. The only reason I can afford them though is I have a friend who works at Best Buy who can get them for just over what the store gets them for which is easily under twenty bucks for just about any length I need to use.

Back on topic though, without my friend working at best buy, I would be interested in custom cables if they were of good quality and competitively priced.

zanzabar
07-05-2010, 11:04 PM
To be honest, Monster cables are of consistent quality so I'd be pretty sure that they always worked. The only reason I can afford them though is I have a friend who works at Best Buy who can get them for just over what the store gets them for which is easily under twenty bucks for just about any length I need to use.

Back on topic though, without my friend working at best buy, I would be interested in custom cables if they were of good quality and competitively priced.

thats what i was thinking so i made the thread but then some1 linked blue jean and they are the same price as what it would cost in materials to use 6a and good HDMI ends so there is no point

M.Beier
07-06-2010, 06:20 AM

you are completely right my friend

Ket
07-06-2010, 06:38 AM
My HDMI cable does it all and it cost something like £3. Other HDMI cables for some reason were £22+ and they didn't even bother to gold plate the connector to make it look like it actually done something special.

Cheap HDMI cables FTW :yepp:

zanzabar
07-06-2010, 10:18 AM
My HDMI cable does it all and it cost something like £3. Other HDMI cables for some reason were £22+ and they didn't even bother to gold plate the connector to make it look like it actually done something special.

Cheap HDMI cables FTW :yepp:

i was talking about long cables at the start as those are always expensive not a 3-10', once u go over 15' the cable can get degraded

Donnie27
07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
i was talking about long cables at the start as those are always expensive not a 3-10', once u go over 15' the cable can get degraded

There are different cables though. You'll might have some issues with 1.3 HDMI when the equipment asks for 1.3a or better. Bandwidth has to be met and a 2Gb cable can't work correctly on a device that's trying to send 4+Gb. Again, go to HDMI.org and just follow their FAQ's?

No, good 30 or etc..... still aren't at monster cable price points.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-812

66ft or about 20m for $55 that's still half price of a Monster $100 cable. Sure they have $149 and $179 cables as well. But at least you know they aren't trying to rip you off if need one.

They're no more consistent than Dayton, Blue Jeans or any of the others=P Not just Monster but that goes for Belkin and the rest of them over charging for this stuff! I don't blame them if folks want to be fooled. Even if you love monster cables, look around, all are not extremely over priced.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Monster+HDMI+Cable&x=0&y=0

AmiJIm
07-24-2010, 07:39 AM
I would buy expensive cables of the v 1.1 or 1.3 era on sale because of the new spec and i would use fiber optical to sound a Hifi,
yet i am still using my trusty technics analog receivers from a xonar 7,1 sound source.

Mikey7c8
07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with the general consensus with respect to short distances, but from what I've read over long distances (10-15m+) it most certainly does make a difference to have the 'better quality' type cables.

Based on my experience over short distances it makes absolutely no difference :)

Dave_Sz
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM

But 3d ps3 games are all 720p from what was confirmed.

slaveondope
08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
People buy cables:confused::rofl:
I just use the ones I or friends/family get free with computer parts, TV's etc.
Got shoe box after shoe box full of vga, dvi, hdmi, composite, s-video....

bigKr33
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM

I agree with the general consensus with respect to short distances, but from what I've read over long distances (10-15m+) it most certainly does make a difference to have the 'better quality' type cables.

Based on my experience over short distances it makes absolutely no difference :)

Both of you are absolutely correct :up:

Donnie27
08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
But 3d ps3 games are all 720p from what was confirmed.

:yepp:

I tried giving them the link from HDMI.org. The Standard for HD 3D is 1.4/a. Then I'm told there are different 3D standards:rolleyes: