PDA

View Full Version : 1 rad vs 2 rads same number of fans?

Slowb00st
04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
What would be the difference from using for example one 120 x 2 vs using two 120 x 1 in series? I know the pressure drop in the series rad should be higher but what about actual performance.

I'm thinking of buying a GTX240 for the vid cards but will still be used in the same loop as the cpu so I don't have to pay for another pump and res. For the moment just a 9600 gso with something like the MCW60 would be in the loop and later thinking of buying a 5850 or a 5870 (something with voltage tweak) maybe with EK block.

Would be using 2 x GT's AP-15.

washu9
04-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Was wondering the same thing a while back, but I figured:
same surface area + same airflow - pressure drop (from additional fitting) = barely any difference in cooling performance

Unless of course you're putting them on 2 different locations. If that's the case, it depends on the locations.

But still, I think there'd be barely any difference.

Anyone actually bothered to try the different sets?

I'd say just go with whatever's most convenient for you.

leo_bsb
04-06-2010, 04:56 AM
there was an old thread where we discussed this and the conclusion was the difference in performance is minimal, if use both at the same conditions.
The goal is to use the bigger rads if you have the space needed.

Slowb00st
04-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Good to know then.

Thing is in the ATCS 840 has a 2 x 120 fan mount in the hard drive cage that i have with the two GTs but looking at it recently I noticed there is little to no space below the second fan that would lead me to believe the bottom of the 2 x 120 rad will hit the case and not let me align the holes with the fans. I'm thinking that mounting two 1 x 120s with the barbs to the side instead of the top will fit fine.

And from looking at other builds with this case the people that have mounted 2 x 120 rad in that area have resorted to cutting the cage and mounting it horizontally cutting up the case to let airflow in throw the bottom to one of the sides since the other has a stock fan location.