PDA

View Full Version : Scythe Gentle Typhoons, or Gelid Wings?

Odai
04-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Hello,

I'm currently using 3 GELID Wing 12 fans on my TFC 360 radiator. However, I have had problems with them when using restrictions such as dust filters or even just meshes (see here (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248185). Bizarrely, I don't get the issues at all with the radiator.

Would the Gentle Typhoon fans experience the same problems? And would I see better temperatures using the GT fans on the radiator (I normally undervolt to around 5-7V)?

I've been looking at Martin's excellent 30 (or was it 35?) fan review, but there's no mention of the Gelid fan unfortunately. :p:

Any ideas on which fan would perform better in open air too?

Thanks!

EDIT: I may also end up going with 6 fans in push-pull eventually. :)

Church
04-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Any meshes and dust filters reduce flow for any fans. Though so does thick layer of dust on fins of radiator :), so all-in-all i'd still use dust protection instead of maximum unrestricted airflow. GTs are nice fans. Get 1850 ones and downvolt 'em. Gelid? Don't know. I'm shure that if they were really good it would get noticed already by lot of people and they would made to those big fan roundups aswell :)
Push-pull is good thing to try, it may help counter airflow restriction.

washu9
04-03-2010, 06:38 AM
I agree with churchy there.

Just get 3pcs of the 1850 GT and use em on the push. Put the Gelids on the pull side.

GabryICE
04-03-2010, 07:22 AM
These are Gelid's..I like them a lot! :)

Fese X-Changer + Gelid UV Blue Wings Gamer

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7217/p1000628q.jpg (http://img641.imageshack.us/i/p1000628q.jpg/)

Church
04-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Let's say, different people have different preferences in making choices. I'm choosing just and only by performance/noise ratio. All from 'looks' area is of no importance to me, or rather if i have to pay extra for bling/leds or if performance is hampered by that, i'd rather try to live without all that and use cheaper fans with better performance with plain looks any time. One looks rarely at assembled sys, most of the time one is looking at display output. Yet everybody has to hear noisy fans all the time for months/years. That's my reasoning behind my preferences/choice.
If, and only if performance and price is same for different looking of some component, then i might choose something else.

Alexandr0s
04-03-2010, 08:33 AM
I agree with Churchy. The GT have an amazing static pressure, so they should be more than able to handle a dust filter. If I were you I'd go with the 1850 GT's. Even at 1850 RPM I don't find them too loud, but I have several other fans that get too loud for me at 1000RPM. So GT's are definitely great performers :).

Meta-Prometheus
04-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Gentle Typhoons are excellent low noise/silent fans. The 1450 or 1850 rpm versions work very well.

Something else I would suggest are fan shrouds. Feser Xtender shrouds are what I have right now and they work very well.

And since you have a Feser 360 anyways you are set to go! (although they work on anything with 120mm fan screw points).

Odai
04-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Hello,

Thank you all for your input.

At the moment, I'm only looking to use 3 fans in pull, or push - depending which gives more airflow. So it's either 3 Gelids or 3 Scythe GPs. :p:

In the future, if I add a VGA to my loop, I would use 6 fans in push-pull, so I would like your opinions on whether 6 Gelids or 6 GPs would be most ideal. It has been suggested that 3 Gelids and 3 GP's would be more ideal, why is that? Or is it simply a matter of cost (as I already have 3 Gelids)?

@Meta, would there be much benefit from using a shroud with this radiator, as there is already a small space in between the fan mounting positions and the actual radiator fins?

Thanks again!

Odai.

Church
04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
3 Gelids and 3 GPs probably were suggested to save on buying lesser ammount of fans and reuse existing ones. BTW, why not 6 fans push-pull now to enjoy even slower/quieter fan speed with existing cooling level?

Odai
04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Hello,

ATM, as I am having problems with the Gelid airflow, the retailer from who I purchased the fans has offered to replace them. So getting 6 GT's will be no more expensive for me than getting 3 GT's. :)

WRT my current configuration, it's more about what cooling level I need than anything else. Whilst it is going to be less using only 3 fans, it is still enough for my needs. I did used to have 6 fans set up, but going from 6 to 3 I did not increase the voltage on the 3 remaining fans, as my aim was to reduce noise. So using 6 fans instead of 3 now would not be much use, as I am adjusting for noise rather than cooling power, which is sufficient already.

Martin's review was extremely useful, I just wish the Gelid fan was included. :p:

Church
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
No matter how much fans are parallel connected, voltage will be same. Change voltage at point where it's supplied (eg. via choosing from which pins (to get 5, 7 or 12V) fans get the power or via some rheobus/or fan-pump controller.

Boulard83
04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Im using GT's 1850 on my TFC360 (with 50mm shroud) and at ~1200rpm its pretty silent and effective. the gt's have a quite big center hub so shroud help alot.

Odai
04-04-2010, 12:48 PM
No matter how much fans are parallel connected, voltage will be same. Change voltage at point where it's supplied (eg. via choosing from which pins (to get 5, 7 or 12V) fans get the power or via some rheobus/or fan-pump controller.

No, I understand. What I meant was in going from 6 fans to 3 fans I did not overvolt the fans to compensate for the reduction in cooling (as it was sufficient anyway), so it is quieter overall.