PDA

View Full Version : Microbubbles question.

Bheem
03-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey guys I've recently done my first WC job after doing multiple air builds, and I have a question about microbubbles in the loop and reservoir. I've bought the DazMode protector coolant additive (biocide + anti-corrosive) with a feser base, and ever since I've added it my reservoir and loops have become a sea of microbubbles. The system has been running in around 7-8 hour intervals for the past few days yet they persist.

I am using the EK spin reservoir and am not sure how to handle the situation. I originally had it topped off so that it wouldn't make much noise, but decided it was counterproductive for the time while the bubbles still remained. I then took out a bit of fluid to let the microbubbles surface but it doesn't seem to work, and even seems counterproductive at that because it appears the waterfall helps to create microbubbles? The reservoir literally looks like a cloud.

I appreciate all your experience and feedback.

edited for relevant system specs:

EK Spin Reservoir (unmodded)
Swiftech mcp655 vario with EK D5 top
HK3.0 cpu block
Feser triple rad, feser uv blue tubing

HuffPCair
03-30-2010, 06:06 PM
I was told to go with distilled water and then add either ptnuke or a killcoil. Which I went with the coil.

For the bubbles my guess it is what you did the bicide and feser mix. I may be wrong cause I am far from a pro at this stuff. I also put my case up on a book for a while and they seemed to work themselves out.

Bheem
03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
I am using approximately one litre of the feser bi-distilled "ultra pure" water with about half the bottle of dazmode protector. The bottle said that the whole thing treats 1-2L of water, so I assume that using half the bottle for 1L was a good decision.

Maybe it just needs a lot of time, or just a property of the additive?

HuffPCair
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I am using approximately one litre of the feser bi-distilled "ultra pure" water with about half the bottle of dazmode protector. The bottle said that the whole thing treats 1-2L of water, so I assume that using half the bottle for 1L was a good decision.

Maybe it just needs a lot of time, or just a property of the additive?

hmm maybe mine took a few days to get all the bubbles out I believe. I didnt really pay attention to much to it then looked and no bubbles lol

Bheem
03-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Maybe I'm just being paranoid. It is odd though that there were nearly none before I added the additive, which is why I worry.

edit: I also have the vario on setting 2 of 5, I don't know if increasing the flow will assist in ridding the microbubbles faster or not.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4710/0330002257.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/i/0330002257.jpg/)

SoulsCollective
03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm using an EK-Spin bay res as well, with just plain distilled, and while mine was extremely bubbly it never looked anything like yours. Sig rig - dual MCP355s with XSPC dual top.

The fact that the EK res does create some turbulence means bubbles take ages to work their way out of your loop, and hang around in the res for yonks, but I'd suspect something's up with your loop for you to be getting that quantity of bubbles.

Bheem
03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
All the fittings are really secure, I don't think that air is being introduced anywhere.

SoulsCollective
03-30-2010, 08:20 PM
In which case I'd definitely suspect your coolant additives. You really don't need those, I'd recommend you stick with just plain distilled with a silver coil.

HuffPCair
03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow yeah I would think its your additive honestly that is wayyyyyy foggier than I thought. I have a few bubbles nothing close to that. I would empty that out and just go plain distilled water from a grocery store. I got mine form walmart for 85 cents and it works just fine.

Bheem
03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Alright guys, thanks for the input. I'll give her another few days but if she's still full of :banana::banana::banana::banana: i'll drain her.

Aedubber
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
That looks crazy lol.. I run distilled water with the silver kill coils and nothing else.. never had any bubble issues at all or any fogging up

Bheem
03-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Any suggestion on where to purchase these silver coils?

SoulsCollective
03-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Whereabouts in the world are you? No location field filled in means I'm guessing, but going by the most common English-speaking group on the forums I'm going to guess American, in which case, PTS (http://www.petrastechshop.com/sikibyia.html).

Conumdrum
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Distilled water commonly availible at Walgreens or Walmaert at a whopping $1 a gallon. 4 drops of Petras PHN Nuke maybe $.50 each use.

No growth, no problem, no $20 every 6 months. For USA folks I don't see whay ANYONE ONE smart person would do anything else.

I digress. With the current USA education system, I see marketing instead of science winning.

We'l all be running pure maple syrup in 10 years, the marketers will winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

the finisher
03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Agreed :rofl:

Bheem
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Picked up a gallon of distilled today, and ordered that PT Nuke suggested, going to drain and flush her this weekend and use the aforementioned.

Once again, thank you for your input and suggestions.

Soulwind
03-31-2010, 12:09 PM
We'l all be running pure maple syrup in 10 years, the marketers will winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Well, that depends on the thermal capacity of maple syrup now doesn't it :D

I mean, if it gets me another couple of degrees . . . .

Bheem
03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3760/0331002349.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/i/0331002349.jpg/)

extracted water out of the reservoir and kept adding more distilled until i diluted it enough so that they disappeared

thanks XS

SoulsCollective
03-31-2010, 10:27 PM
That looks much better. Damn additives :p:

HuffPCair
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice glad that fixed it

Dazmode
04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Just stumble upon this. Really weird picture, nobody reported anything like this so far. I will build new system shortly and will check Protector myself.

If you decide to go PTNuke or any other additive with exception of TFC make sure you disassemble system and give it good rinse with running water.

Dazmode
05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Protector doesn't create any problems with my last build, but on my lab PC with Feser One, when my pump started to take small bits of air from vortex in Ek100 reservoir, I've got the same thing for flow rates more then 5 LPM. I had to slow down D5 pump and top coolant to very top of the res to get rid of those.