PDA

View Full Version : No Video signal on my HDTV!

esabet
03-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I hope I am posting this on the right section!

I have my PC connected to my Denon AVR3806 AV Receiver using a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

My Denon is connected to my Plasma TV using component video.

After I connected my PC to the Denon, my PC did recognize the Denon as "DENON-AVAMP".

The settings were originaly set at 1080i, 1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz. When I was getting no video signal I switched the resolution to 720p, 1280 x 720 @ 60Hz but I am still getting no video signal!!

My Plasma TV is a Hitachi 55HDT52.

My video card is EVGA GTX 285!

Can anyone please explain why I am not getting any video signal?

hennyo
03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
A few things, I believe the HDMI function on your receiver is only video pass thru, and sound decoding. BTW I own a Denon receiver of a different model and had a similar issue when I was setting my system up. You should use an independent converter box for a DVI to component to hook to your TV directly and leave the Denon completely away from your video.

The only reason the Denon supports HDMI is if you were running video and sound on one HDMI cable. So you would hook up the HDMI to the Denon, and then hook up another HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV. You are not doing that, so keep your display signal away from your sound receiver.

jaggerwild
03-28-2010, 03:02 PM
There is also an EDID issue with Windows 7 an some monitors. Here's a link
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/7947-force-dvi-hdmi-resolutions-refresh-rates.html

zanzabar
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
u need to set the refresh to 59.9hz in the driver

esabet
03-28-2010, 07:24 PM
A few things, I believe the HDMI function on your receiver is only video pass thru, and sound decoding. BTW I own a Denon receiver of a different model and had a similar issue when I was setting my system up. You should use an independent converter box for a DVI to component to hook to your TV directly and leave the Denon completely away from your video.

The only reason the Denon supports HDMI is if you were running video and sound on one HDMI cable. So you would hook up the HDMI to the Denon, and then hook up another HDMI cable from the Denon to the TV. You are not doing that, so keep your display signal away from your sound receiver.

Well, someone did tell me that it is possible that becasue of copyright laws the receiver is not converting the HDMI singnal to component so that recording won't be possible! That is kind of saying that the HDMI is pass-through only!

But he was not sure and I wanted to find out for sure!

esabet
03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
u need to set the refresh to 59.9hz in the driver

The two options that I have are 60 or 59 Hz. I have tried both and still NO signal!

zanzabar
03-28-2010, 09:31 PM
have u tried to use an HDMI cable to the TV, and u should be running that tv at 1366x768

esabet
03-29-2010, 05:06 AM
have u tried to use an HDMI cable to the TV, and u should be running that tv at 1366x768

I have not tried that! I have just placed an order for a 20 feet long HDMI cable since that is about how far the TV is from my PC!

As is (connected to the Denon) I don't have the 1366x768 resolution! Can I ask where you got that from?

hennyo
03-29-2010, 05:49 AM
I have not tried that! I have just placed an order for a 20 feet long HDMI cable since that is about how far the TV is from my PC!

As is (connected to the Denon) I don't have the 1366x768 resolution! Can I ask where you got that from?

All you need to do is run an HDMI cable to the TV and it will fix the problem nothing else. Also, once you do hook up the TV with an HDMI cable, you will most likely notice another issue running your TV as a computer monitor. The edges of the screen will be ever so slightly cut off. This will have nothing to do with your computer, it is entirely on your TV, there should be a setting hidden deep in a menu somewhere to fix it tho, I forgot what it is called, I believe "over scan".

esabet
03-29-2010, 05:58 AM
All you need to do is run an HDMI cable to the TV and it will fix the problem nothing else. Also, once you do hook up the TV with an HDMI cable, you will most likely notice another issue running your TV as a computer monitor. The edges of the screen will be ever so slightly cut off. This will have nothing to do with your computer, it is entirely on your TV, there should be a setting hidden deep in a menu somewhere to fix it tho, I forgot what it is called, I believe "over scan".

Got it thanks. But I forgot that I will now need a DVI-D to HDMI adaptor!:( But easily fixed!

zanzabar
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM

thats its native resolution, it may not do it but most do and it will get the best IQ

esabet
03-30-2010, 03:42 AM
thats its native resolution, it may not do it but most do and it will get the best IQ

Thanks! How would I verify if mine can do that resolution? Should I add it as a custom setting?

zanzabar
03-30-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Hitachi-55HDT52.htm

its a 720P set they dont come in the actual 720P since its cheaper to print 1366x768,

esabet
03-30-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/Hitachi-55HDT52.htm

its a 720P set they dont come in the actual 720P since its cheaper to print 1366x768,

Thanks for the link. So if I connect my PC directly to my TV I should be able to see the 1366 x 768 resolution as an option, right?