PDA

View Full Version : Intel 6 Series Chipsets - Naming Unveiled

onethreehill
03-26-2010, 05:31 AM
http://resources.vr-zone.com/newvr/image.php?m=540&s=http://resources.vr-zone.com//uploads/8685/1.jpg

Slated for release in Q1 2011, Intel's Cougar point and Sandy Bridge products are set to replace the existing Lynnfield/Clarkdale-Ibex Peak combination. The "Premium and Mainstream" desktop chipsets based on Cougar Point architecture will be called the P67 and H67.

The P67 and H67 will take over the "Premium and Mainstream" market segment currently dominated by the P55 and H57 chipsets. This is necessary given that the future Sandy Bridge processors will be rolled-out on LGA1155 sockets, as opposed to the existing LGA1156 socket used for the Lynnfield and Clarkdale Core i3 and i5 (and also i7-8xx) processors.

To differentiate the products, H67 will support x16 PEG only, while P67 will support either x16 PEG or 2x8 PEG. Motherboard makers will no doubt get creative with these chipsets. On top of PEG expansion, both chipsets will support x8 PCIe 2.0, and 14 USB 2.0 Ports. No, USB Super Speed isn't on the roadmap just yet. 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports will be present on both these chipsets, out of the total 6 SATA expansion ports. There will not be PCI support with these chipsets.

Notable for the Intel H67 is the HD Graphics Support, which allows two independent displays, Integrated Audio Codec and Gigabit Ethernet MAC.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-6-series-chipsets--naming-unveiled/8685.html

Silver Bullet
03-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Q1 2011 and no USB3 ... fail.

duploxxx
03-26-2010, 06:00 AM
no LGA compatibility between 5x and 6x series, I'll just ask before i get shot here :shoot: when i make a comment on platform longlivety....

gOJDO
03-26-2010, 06:02 AM
And for what purpose do you might need USB3? :rolleyes:

I would say fail for only 2 SATA 6Gbps ports.

Metroid
03-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Call it a strategy, expect native SATA and USB 3.0 for High-end desktop enthusiasts Q3 2011.

no LGA compatibility between 5x and 6x series, I'll just ask before i get shot here :shoot: when i make a comment on platform longlivety....

LGA 1366 from 11/2008 to suppose Q4 2011, 3 years don't look that bad. The 775 made quite a name in that respect.

Direct line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

Katanai
03-26-2010, 06:14 AM
This is total and utter bull:banana::banana::banana::banana:!

Take out one pin, sell more chips, profit. I mean what's next? LGA1333? And why the hate for USB 3? If it would be properly supported already it could prove about 10x more useful than SATA 6GB.

Metroid
03-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Yes Intel is delaying things which I think is slightly out of control in there or they are holding off for something else.

@rne
03-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Call it a strategy, expect native SATA and USB 3.0 for High-end desktop enthusiasts Q3 2011.

Additionally, Intel is more focused on eSATA.

Chrono Detector
03-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Sounds quite disappointing to be honest, and I would have expected a lot more out of Intel. X68 should be more exciting, I assume.

sholvaco
03-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Only two ports are sata 6Gb? Lame. Eight SB lanes running at 2.0(?) speeds is alright but having to share DMI with the rest of the I/O traffic, I'd still rather see them slap those eight lanes on the CPU integrated controller.

Sorry for going a wee bit off topic (then again not really) but anyone care to comment on the validity of some of the following claims:

The next generation microarchitecture Sandy Bridge will be released in 2011. There will be two platforms, each of which succeeds Lynnfield and Bloomfield respectively. The basic system architecture is close to Lynnfield/Clarkdale (not to the current Bloomfield).

Sandy Bridge H2:

The new socket LGA 1155
2 cores (65W) or 4 cores (95W)
With or without GPU core
Dual channel DDR3-1333 memory controller
PCI Express 2.0 20 lanes (Xeon only) or 16 lanes; x16 or x8+x8
DMI(Direct Media Interconnect) Gen.2 x4 (4GB/sec)
Chipset Cougar Point:
SATA 6Gbps x 2 and 3Gbps x 4
USB 3.0 will be postponed until Ivy Bridge in 2012.

Sandy Bridge B2:

The new socket LGA 136x
6 cores or 8 cores
No GPU core
Triple channel DDR3-1600 memory controller
PCI Express 3.0 24 lanes; x16+x8 or x8+x8+x8
DMI(Direct Media Interconnect) Gen.2 x4 (4GB/sec)
Chipset Patsburg:
SATA 6Gbps x 2 and 3Gbps x 4
USB 3.0 will be postponed until Ivy Bridge in 2012.

As for integrated graphics, Next Generation Intel Clear Video Technology will be introduced (as well as Graphics Turbo+ for mobile).

Particularly on the lack of NB, integrated PCIe on the high end platform. "Only" 24 lanes? I know that is almost equivalent to 48 PCIe 2.0 lanes but how many devices are going to be around (at or around launch) to take advantage of "the same speed over a smaller physical link"? Oh and how do you split them 4-way?:D

Got this while browsing avsforums (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172451#Sandy Bridge: The Next Bang!) a couple of days ago.

Eastcoasthandle
03-26-2010, 08:32 AM
This looks like a OEM thing to me.

netkas
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Only two ports are sata 6Gb? Lame. Eight SB lanes running at 2.0(?) speeds is alright but having to share DMI with the rest of the I/O traffic, I'd still rather see them slap those eight lanes on the CPU integrated controller.

Sorry for going a wee bit off topic (then again not really) but anyone care to comment on the validity of some of the following claims:

Particularly on the lack of NB, integrated PCIe on the high end platform. "Only" 24 lanes? I know that is almost equivalent to 48 PCIe 2.0 lanes but how many devices are going to be around (at or around launch) to take advantage of "the same speed over a smaller physical link"? Oh and how do you split them 4-way?:D

Got this while browsing avsforums (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172451#Sandy Bridge: The Next Bang!) a couple of days ago.

Intel created QPI for fast inter-CPU communications in server enviroments, I doubt they will dump it and use DMI instead, its about triple-channel chips.

duploxxx
03-26-2010, 09:03 AM

LGA 1366 from 11/2008 to suppose Q4 2011, 3 years don't look that bad. The 775 made quite a name in that respect.

Direct line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

duh nice that you refer to 1366 but we are actually talking here about 1156 and -1 that is released ehh just a few months ago to NOT be able to upgrade to next gen 1 year later.... I call that chipset MAFIA

Mats
03-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that's great, but it doesn't help current 1156 owners, does it?:rolleyes:

Intel messed up their tick tock strategy with LGA 1156, and I don't know if it was because of the economical situation or lack of competition. Even if there are both 45 and 32 nm CPU's out there, it obviously isn't logical going from a Lynnfield to a Clarkdale.

775 isn't really a good example, on paper it stayed on the market for many years, but anything newer than Q3 06 won't work in older boards, with very few exceptions (1?). It could just as well have been two different sockets, with two CPU types/shrinks each, which is average for Intel.

natty
03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
B2 Sandy Bridge is Q3 next year or when?

sholvaco
03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Intel created QPI for fast inter-CPU communications in server enviroments, I doubt they will dump it and use DMI instead, its about triple-channel chips.

If they truly moved the PCIe controller to the CPU itself there is no reason for IOH anymore, it's remaining functions could also be reshuffled between the CPU and the PCH. Also, the lack of IOH does not exclude the presence of an external QPI link, it just serves one function less i.e. still used for CPU to CPU comms in multi socket systems like you already mentioned. Not to mention the on-die CPU components (PCIe) could still use internal QPI to link up, preserving core component commonality between various SB models.

Hannibal Lecter
03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
duh nice that you refer to 1366 but we are actually talking here about 1156 and -1 that is released ehh just a few months ago to NOT be able to upgrade to next gen 1 year later.... I call that chipset MAFIA

I am not trying to defend Intel here and I fully agree that this is a lame move BUT:

1) "Enthusiasts" or otherwise computer literate people have known that 1156 was a dead end for a long time. If they decided to still buy these processors, it's their decision and their money.
2) The rest who bought these processors couldn't care less since they probably won't change their rig for many years and probably don't even know that they can change/upgrade their CPU/GPU :eek:

I suppose that current 1156 processors will replace core 2 at the low end and their price and the motherboards prices will decrease when SB comes out.

Metroid
03-26-2010, 10:11 AM
duh nice that you refer to 1366 but we are actually talking here about 1156

Article and you about 1156, thread is about Intel series 6 Chipsets which is also for high end desktop.

1156 was a dead horse since launch. Low end Sandy Bridge will come before high end desktop, so is kind obvious it will have a longer lifespan. People buying the next low end Sandy Bridge Chipset will have no regrets.

alfaunits
03-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Those who do not think USB3 is a great improvement and an important thing have not used USB drives ever...

Russian
03-26-2010, 12:26 PM

They're developing a separate controller for that.

H2O
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
B2 Sandy Bridge is Q3 next year or when?

Probably end Q1-begining Q2 - at least that's what I've been seeing on the leaked roadmaps.

Hornet331
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Those who do not think USB3 is a great improvement and an important thing have not used USB drives ever...

Yes i got ride of them as soon as sata driver where available.

I would take Power over e-sata over usb 3.0 any day.

mrcape
03-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I thought there was going to be X68 (1366) and P65 (1156) and both would support Sata3 and USB3.

http://i50.tinypic.com/12193lu.jpg

alfaunits
03-26-2010, 02:28 PM
So you should know what USB3 would bring.
eSATA works but how easy is it to connect 4 external drives via eSATA? (and how expensive vs. USB3 = 0$ additional?)

Yes i got ride of them as soon as sata driver where available.
I would take Power over e-sata over usb 3.0 any day.

zalbard
03-27-2010, 06:27 AM
They will probably use a discrete USB3 chip, I posted about that (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248138) a few days ago.

urgrandpasdog
03-27-2010, 12:58 PM
There will not be PCI support with these chipsets.

Finally.

3NZ0
03-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Finally.

Indeed, I look forward to all pci-e boards. (excusing the current lolnoconceptof£££ boards that are all pci-e 16x slots)

Killing off legacy, port by port. No more ide, floppy, ps2 and pci thanks.

Not pleased with 2 6gbps sata ports, sounds like a half-assed job. Not sure if that is a hint at the 6 series x58 equivalent having the full 6 or not though. :shrug:

lkiller123
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Only TWO 6gb SATA ports?

Intel, are you trying to disrespect us or something?

Serra
03-27-2010, 08:15 PM
That's a mixed bag of features, isn't it? I am definitely piqued by the socket change, but otherwise it's not terrible. USB3 would have been nice to see, but there still aren't any USB 3 devices anyway, so I'm not going to complain about it yet (keeping in mind these aren't the highest level boards - in theory USB 3 will be promoted as a "Premium" add-on for devices)... doubly so because I don't think that even with it they would be selling much faster thumb drives anyway.

Otherwise lane expansion and such is nice to see, but there is one thing that bugs me that I'm somewhat saddened by - the total removal of PCI support. I definitely agree that most boards these days should be sold with only 1 PCI port (if that many), but there are still products out there that you can only buy in PCI format so I would like to see an option.

I imagine the SATA 6 connections are limited to 2 because Intel doesn't really see that many people buying 3 or more SSD's that require SATA 6 speeds with a budget board. At SSD's current prices and performance, I tend to think they're probably right about that by and large.

Indeed, I look forward to all pci-e boards. (excusing the current lolnoconceptof£££ boards that are all pci-e 16x slots)

Killing off legacy, port by port. No more ide, floppy, ps2 and pci thanks.

Not pleased with 2 6gbps sata ports, sounds like a half-assed job. Not sure if that is a hint at the 6 series x58 equivalent having the full 6 or not though. :shrug:

You must not like overclocking or gaming performance much.

IDE - Required for overclocking many boards when raising PCI-E frequency disrupts SATA operation

PS2 - The only way to get N-Key rollover for gaming. You like to use games with keyboard support? Using a PS2 dongle allows you to get in more simultaneous keystrokes than current USB does. Any real gamer would insist on using PS2.

PCI - Great for use during component troubleshooting (eg. buy a PCI video card, help determine whether your mobo or GPU is fried) and supporting components like sound cards - a really good sound card takes awhile to go obsolete.

Floppy can die though. The only reason to use it is support for XP/Server 2003 and earlier support, and there is no reason why either of those systems or their predecessors should be installed on this hardware anyway. If it must be installed it should be for a business application, which can use virtual machines and emulate floppies.

3NZ0
03-27-2010, 08:49 PM

IDE - Required for overclocking many boards when raising PCI-E frequency disrupts SATA operation

PS2 - The only way to get N-Key rollover for gaming. You like to use games with keyboard support? Using a PS2 dongle allows you to get in more simultaneous keystrokes than current USB does. Any real gamer would insist on using PS2.

PCI - Great for use during component troubleshooting (eg. buy a PCI video card, help determine whether your mobo or GPU is fried) and supporting components like sound cards - a really good sound card takes awhile to go obsolete.

Floppy can die though. The only reason to use it is support for XP/Server 2003 and earlier support, and there is no reason why either of those systems or their predecessors should be installed on this hardware anyway. If it must be installed it should be for a business application, which can use virtual machines and emulate floppies.

On the contrary, I do both. I just like to be able to use my computer while doing it. Overclocking to the point where you can't use sata ports isn't useful for most users out there. Me included.

PS2 - "Any real gamer would insist on using PS2." Not really, many people would disagree with that statement. Though, I don't know your definition of 'real gamer' it sounds a bit too hardcore.

pci - Soundcard, I'll agree there. That said, I'd rather use realtek onboard than my old xfi elite pro the drivers are so bad.

At least we can 100% agree on floppy drives though. :D

kl0012
03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Only TWO 6gb SATA ports?

Intel, are you trying to disrespect us or something?
As long as cpu has integrated PCIe you dont need a complicated South Bridge with all possible features inside. So Intel may create South Bridge with a minnimum features (most of users really don't need more then that) while Asus, Gigabyte and others are free to add additional I/O controllers on MB connected directly to CPU. Sandy Bridge will have 20 (24?) PCIe lanes, so 4 PCIe lanes can be dedicated to additional I/O.

Dalten
03-27-2010, 10:47 PM
My guess is Intel is lagging on USB 3 for fear of another AMD lawsuit. Remember when AMD complained about Intel not disclosing USB spec? My guess is that Intel is making sure they don't appear to have any kind of advantage for whatever reason.

kl0012
03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
My guess is Intel is lagging on USB 3 for fear of another AMD lawsuit. Remember when AMD complained about Intel not disclosing USB spec? My guess is that Intel is making sure they don't appear to have any kind of advantage for whatever reason.

Well, AMD can't comlain here since NEC was the first to the market with USB3 controller. Also, external USB3 controller connected directly to CPU through PCIe may be a better solution from performance point then sharing DMI with all the stuff in the South Bridge.

saaya
03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
both chipsets will support x8 PCIe 2.0i believe it when i see it... intel originally claimed that ibex peak chipsets are 4x2.0 as well in the white papers, when actually they mean 2.0 "compatible"... whatever that means... in reality they are pciE 1.1...

so besides more pciE lanes on the sb, whats new? :confused:

saaya
03-28-2010, 12:53 AM
both chipsets will support x8 PCIe 2.0i believe it when i see it... intel originally claimed that ibex peak chipsets are 4x2.0 as well in the white papers, when actually they mean 2.0 "compatible"... whatever that means... in reality they are pciE 1.1...

so besides more pciE lanes on the sb and 2 sata 6gbps ports whats new? :confused:

pyn
04-10-2010, 06:10 PM
I wonder if in lieu of USB3 we'll see Lightpeak launch with Sandy Bridge.

Nintendork
04-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Just 2 pathetic sata 6gbps?

The "ancient" 890GX brings six of those.

RAW-Raptor22
04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
No legacy has become a joke, ever since X38 they have said they are ending legacy support, and they havent. Board makers are still slapping PCI slots, PATA slots, Parallel, PS/2, and serial ports on boards.

Every time I read "no PCI", or "no legacy" I just cant help but laugh.

That's a mixed bag of features, isn't it? I am definitely piqued by the socket change, but otherwise it's not terrible. USB3 would have been nice to see, but there still aren't any USB 3 devices anyway, so I'm not going to complain about it yet (keeping in mind these aren't the highest level boards - in theory USB 3 will be promoted as a "Premium" add-on for devices)... doubly so because I don't think that even with it they would be selling much faster thumb drives anyway.

Otherwise lane expansion and such is nice to see, but there is one thing that bugs me that I'm somewhat saddened by - the total removal of PCI support. I definitely agree that most boards these days should be sold with only 1 PCI port (if that many), but there are still products out there that you can only buy in PCI format so I would like to see an option.

I imagine the SATA 6 connections are limited to 2 because Intel doesn't really see that many people buying 3 or more SSD's that require SATA 6 speeds with a budget board. At SSD's current prices and performance, I tend to think they're probably right about that by and large.

You bring up some good points. I suppose you are right on all three counts. My Audigy 2 ZS Pro is still decent after 5 years... :p:

kl0012
04-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Just 2 pathetic sata 6gbps?

The "ancient" 890GX brings six of those.

Intel was many times blamed for using DMI which has no available bandwidth for the all peripheral devices. In case of AMD 890GX/FX + SB850 no one actualy pointed out that putting more then 3 SATA 6GB/s ports is "useless" in the same way. As an example, puting 3 such devices in RAID will eat 90% of available bandwidth between SB to NB. So 14 USB ports, GB Ethernet, PCI e.t.c will be pretty much bandwidth limited.

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/03/amd-890gx-and-sb850-chipset-review/890gx-diagram.jpg

BulldogPO
04-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Hmm no other good things but death of PCI.
Still same bandwidth gaps present indeed.

blindbox
04-11-2010, 01:02 AM

IDE - Nothing to say, I don't care whether it's gone or not, I'm not a serious overclocker, but other people are.

PS/2 - Completely agree. I'm stuck with 6 keys max here, and I require at least 7 (I love those beat-rhythm game, so I need all the keys i can press).

PCI - I agree with those. I tried using onboard as troubleshooting, didn't work as expected. It's probably my motherboard, it's not agreeing with me to use onboard as the main gpu.

FlanK3r
04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
so, Sandy Bridge is not compactible with 1156 scoket?

ajaidev
04-11-2010, 03:42 AM
I had posted about this divide and rule system of Intel a few months ago. Low/Mid end is very expandable give them SATA 6 and they will be happy it does not matter how many. I expect high end systems LGA 13xx/15xx to be white cream after all i also said that Intel is tweaking up sandy bridge a lot and its outcome will be very ammm hot :D

Intel is out for blood, BD blood and also not to panic everyone but there will be a new LGA socket "Its not the LGA 1155" !!

EDIT: Epic no of pins :D

RAW-Raptor22
04-11-2010, 09:41 AM
IDE - Nothing to say, I don't care whether it's gone or not, I'm not a serious overclocker, but other people are.

PS/2 - Completely agree. I'm stuck with 6 keys max here, and I require at least 7 (I love those beat-rhythm game, so I need all the keys i can press).

PCI - I agree with those. I tried using onboard as troubleshooting, didn't work as expected. It's probably my motherboard, it's not agreeing with me to use onboard as the main gpu.

I dont see why they just dont have a single PCI at the bottom as an option, just like most boards did with ISA 10 years ago...

radaja
04-11-2010, 10:07 AM
EDIT: Epic no of pins
are you saying we are getting another highend socket?LGA1666 maybe?

RAW-Raptor22
04-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Wow, lack of upgradability for the lose. I may as well go buy a Socket 423 board...

Sn0wm@n
04-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Edit: Epic no of pins :d

lga 2012?????

RAW-Raptor22
04-11-2010, 10:24 PM
This is ridiculous, the only people that will benefit from this are Dell and HP. The companies that dont really give a :banana; what components they use because the user is going to come back next year and buy a whole new box anyway. Way to go Intel, throw up the middle finger to all of the enthusiasts who bought into high end hardware looking for an upgrade path. I wish I would have saved my money and stuck with 775 until they got their act together.

This is coming from a guy who hasnt used an AMD Processor in his main computer since the Athlon 800, and the K6-II before that. I have always like Intel, this post isnt coming from any kind of AMD fanboy or anything.

[XC] Synthetickiller
04-12-2010, 05:43 AM
This is ridiculous, the only people that will benefit from this are Dell and HP. The companies that dont really give a :banana; what components they use because the user is going to come back next year and buy a whole new box anyway. Way to go Intel, throw up the middle finger to all of the enthusiasts who bought into high end hardware looking for an upgrade path. I wish I would have saved my money and stuck with 775 until they got their act together.

This is coming from a guy who hasnt used an AMD Processor in his main computer since the Athlon 800, and the K6-II before that. I have always like Intel, this post isnt coming from any kind of AMD fanboy or anything.

You know, its funny, I ran intel through PII, then went to k6-2, Athlon 550 (that was a wonderous cpu), a few more athlons through 1700+, P4 3.06ghz, then dual opties. Then I made the switch back to intel for the q6600 and thought I'd never touch AMD again. Due to the socket limitations (upgrade wise) I've recently bought both a PII x4 and a sempron (for fun).

I'd love to go i7, but the cost and now lack of usb3.0/ six sata 6 ports just turns me off considering the cost as well as new sockets coming out.

I'll hold off till intel gets its act together and stops screwing the consumer with 2 sockets that hint at an early EOL. :down:

jcool
04-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Yawn.. what? Mainstream? I don't care - where are the x68 specs :D

road-runner
04-12-2010, 05:55 AM
1156 to 1155 = Fail, they want to make sure you have to buy a new motherboard... :down:

saaya
04-12-2010, 05:58 AM
so essentially... the only difference is the name of the chipset and the fact that they arent compatible with current platforms, so we get to spend money on buying new mainboards and new cpus that are pretty much the same we already have for 1-2 years...

so intel is back to their old ways eh? sigh...
i really hope amd gives them some more competition next year so they stop milking the market with 10% performance boosts with a new platform every year...

zalbard
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
1156 to 1155 = Fail, they want to make sure you have to buy a new motherboard... :down:
Typical for Intel, though. :( Waiting for affordable s1366 6 cores! :D

Hornet331
04-12-2010, 01:09 PM
so intel is back to their old ways eh? sigh...

did they ever left the old road? (motherboard upgrade path) :p:

Biker
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
For all the reasons Serra stated I hope they keep one IDE and one PCI slot available....

RAW-Raptor22
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
did they ever left the old road? (motherboard upgrade path) :p:

Well yes, they did stay with 775 for 5 years. Any board newer than the 945/955 had bios updates allowing compatibility with the Core CPUs. At least it wasnt like Socket 370 - 423 - 478... (what did that take, six months?).

Or how they screwed people that bought Socket 8 Pentium Pros...

bingo13
04-12-2010, 05:38 PM
I thought there was going to be X68 (1366) and P65 (1156) and both would support Sata3 and USB3.

http://i50.tinypic.com/12193lu.jpg

This is like my 11th post on the subject, but there is no X68 or P65, there never was and never will be as that post was fake. :rolleyes:

onethreehill
05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Intel 6 Series Chipsets @Computex
http://mb.zol.com.cn/177/1775588.html
Translated
http://translate.google.com.sg/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://mb.zol.com.cn/177/1775588.html&ei=b_sCTKTnIYW2rAe8_bE8&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CDYQ7gEwCA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dintel%2Bp67%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfire fox-a%26hs%3DUgD%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official

Biostar P67 MB
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/files/images/P67-mobo.jpg

Biostar H67 MB
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/files/images/H67-mobo.jpg

Hardwarezone (http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/blogs/view/40767)

-=DVS=-
05-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I see PCI slots , what happened to "Legacy PCI will be no more" :shrug:

tool_462
05-30-2010, 04:51 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ditch those mofos for good!

Hornet331
05-30-2010, 05:43 PM

I bet those pci slots are connected ofer a pci-e 1x link with the the chipset.. :p:

amdsempron_xs
05-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Oh wait, are we able to use LGA1156 HSFs on LGA1155-based mainboard? :confused:

onethreehill
05-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Intel P67 motherboard on show at ASRock

http://images.bit-tech.net/news_images/2010/05/intel-p67-motherboard-on-show-at-asrock/asrock-extreme-3.jpg
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/05/31/intel-p67-motherboard-on-show-at-asrock/1

Boogerlad
05-30-2010, 08:02 PM
x-fi mb trial?

YukonTrooper
05-31-2010, 12:04 AM
x-fi mb trial?
Some piece of software trial. Maybe the mobo is X-Fi capable (software accelerated only) but you have to pay extra to use those features? Maybe mb stands more motherboard? :shrug:

As far as no PCI slots, that's pretty weak. There are still plenty of PCI peripherals out there. There's nothing wrong with my PCI wireless adapter and PCI XtremeMusic X-Fi, both of which don't need upgrading anytime soon. Not that my LGA1366 platform needs an upgrade, but I don't think PCI should be phased out so quickly.

DuraN
05-31-2010, 12:48 AM
x-fi mb trial?

The entire line says "Free Software: Cyberlink DVD Suite - OEM and Trial, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB Trial" :)

snoro
05-31-2010, 10:45 AM

we wont see some pci slot comming directly from the intel chipset but most motherboard manufacturer will still put them via a controller or a bridge as customer still need it unlike fdd.

RAW-Raptor22
05-31-2010, 10:50 AM
we wont see some pci slot comming directly from the intel chipset but most motherboard manufacturer will still put them via a controller or a bridge as customer still need it unlike fdd.

Yeah hell, my X58 still has PS/2, IDE, FDD, and PCI...

May as well have serial ports and ISA slots...

MB distros will continue to add them as long as there is demand...

onethreehill
06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
GIGABYTE P67A-UD9

http://img.donanimhaber.com/images/haber/20328/computex2010_gigabytep67ud9_dh_fx57.jpg
http://www.donanimhaber.com/computex/Computex_2010_Gigabytein_Sandy_Bridge_destekli_P67 AUD9_modeli_gun_isigina_cikti-20328.htm

MpG
06-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I think some motherboard makers need to just admit the truth - they don't want people insulating their boards. :p:

And why is that GB board using two different kinds of retention clips for the PCI-E x16 slots?

geo
06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
still no integrated bluetooth and wifi for desktops huh

Hornet331
06-03-2010, 03:30 AM
I think some motherboard makers need to just admit the truth - they don't want people insulating their boards. :p:

And why is that GB board using two different kinds of retention clips for the PCI-E x16 slots?

Because if you look a little closer you see, that the slots with the white retention clips are only 8x slots while the blue ones are full x16 slots. ;)

MpG
06-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Because if you look a little closer you see, that the slots with the white retention clips are only 8x slots while the blue ones are full x16 slots. ;)
Ah, you're right. Didn't notice that the first time. Still, that board is technically offering a lot more PCI-E lanes than that chipset can hope to supply, even with DMI 2.0 maybe helping out a tiny bit.

Chrono Detector
06-03-2010, 04:26 AM
So far Intel's P6x series is quite disappointing, not much of a huge improvement from P55. Hopefully X68 will not disappoint.

Oliver
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Ah, you're right. Didn't notice that the first time. Still, that board is technically offering a lot more PCI-E lanes than that chipset can hope to supply, even with DMI 2.0 maybe helping out a tiny bit.If the top slot have had the "white unlock" instead of the blue thingy, it would might be impossible to get the VGA card out without huge headache, judging from the picture as is.

sholvaco
06-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Ah, you're right. Didn't notice that the first time. Still, that board is technically offering a lot more PCI-E lanes than that chipset can hope to supply, even with DMI 2.0 maybe helping out a tiny bit.

DMI doesn't have a thing to do with that kind of distribution. Under the assumption the rumored specs are true and the integrated PCIe controller (once again) provides only 16 lanes, such a layout would only be possible with use of a multiplexer like the NF200 or the Hydra. With this being Gigabyte's top end model (UD9) that's almost a given since current high end boards of theirs already use the NF200 to "double" the amount of available PCIe links which makes the 4 way split possible.

There's no doubt in my mind that all manufacturers are going to use one (the NF200 or the Hydra) on their high end LGA1155 boards.

MpG
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes, but two 16x and 2 8x slots adds up to 48 lanes, which is three times the 16 lanes technically supported, which I thought would require some multiplexing of the splitter chips. And since a lot of 5-series boards offer a 4x lane through the SB, I had wondered if a double bandwidth DMI link might try to support 8 lanes.

sholvaco
06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
It only has to add up to 32 lanes. Half of the lanes from each NF200 provided x16 link go through digital signal switches that run them to either of the paired up slots (blue + white clipped) for x16/0 or x8/x8 split.