PDA

View Full Version : GTX280 Throttling/Overheating - HELP PLZ!

DrunkenElmo
03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Hello All,

I have a 2 part question...I recently installed evga precision because i have a SLI setup with 2 gtx 280's and I wanted to see what kind of temps i'm getting on my cards. I noticed that my first gpu core frequency and memory frequency are constantly fluctuating, as though the gpu is being throttled/scaled just like a CPU (ie. under light load the frequencies will be downclocked and vice versa under a full load). The weird thing is the second gpu's specs don't' change at all their memory frequency and core frequency remain static. So my first question, is this natural? What can i do to enable/disable this throttling? I have tried enabling/disabling SLI and PhysX but i still get the same results.

Secondly, i also noticed that the temps on my second GPU are much higher and i am experiencing game artifacting/glitching I believe because of the overheating (temps can reach up to 90C). Whereas the temps on my first GPU are within reason (they usually don't break 60C under a full load). Any insight anyone can provide on either of these issues I'd be greatly appreciated. Another little tidbit...I'm using water cooling, and my water loop is in such a way that the liquid flows directly from one gpu to the next which would take into account the increase in temps...i just don't think it should be this drastic.

Thanks all!