PDA

View Full Version : Aquaero with powerbooster, how may sflex f can handle ?

Edward88
03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
I need to know how many sflex f can the aquaero handle, the math tell us that:

45w / 12 v = 3.75 a

sflex f use .2a, so

3.75 / .2 = 18.75,

that woluld be 18 fans, but i dont think that it really can handle all that :shrug:

I will use two 40 x 40 x 10 NB fans with the powerbooster for extra cooling

So, how may sflex can i use in each channel? what do you think?

Nickel020
03-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't see a problem with using 18 S-Flexs, 6 on the first channel and 4 on the other three.

Fans also tend to use considerably less power than what they're specified at, take a look at this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_17.html#sect0

Rated at 0.15A but it only used 0.054A, same goes for many other fans in that excellent round-up :)

On the other hand, the 0.15A might just be the maximum power draw that the fan will actually draw starting up.

Waterlogged
03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't see a problem with using 18 S-Flexs, 6 on the first channel and 4 on the other three.

Fans also tend to use considerably less power than what they're specified at, take a look at this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120-140-fans-roundup_17.html#sect0

Rated at 0.15A but it only used 0.054A, same goes for many other fans in that excellent round-up :)

On the other hand, the 0.15A might just be the maximum power draw that the fan will actually draw starting up.

That's very likely the case, and it still needs to be accounted for. Scythe GT's are just the opposite, they list the operating voltage @ .049A for a 1450 but, if you look at the package, starting current is .21A. . .that's a huge difference. Just another method for the fan manu's to screw with our heads and try to confuse things. :shakes:

Church
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
So. Now i am officially confused. How should i sum used current to find out out if certain controller or rheostat supports it?
- sum used power when working?
- sum starting current? - but from what i've heard, that most such controllers/rheostats have capacitors in their schematics to help handling higher power usage at jumpstart, right? But then again specs of short-term capabilities of used capacitors/pcb/schematics/maximum wattage are almost never given.
- also if in independent fan tests used power is less then vendor specs, then it means vendor specified starting current requirement?
So at the end it's all upto experimenting how much specific fans specific controller can handle without "smell of burnt electronics" ? :)

Nickel020
03-25-2010, 10:05 AM
You simply can't do it. Official specs are simply not accurate enough.

It also depends on the fan controller, some may be perfectly allright with a short current spike during startup that will exceed their specification, others may fail.

The only thing you can do is add up the fan specifications, see that it's less than the specified maximum of your fan controller and hope that it works out...

Kanzy
03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Noob question, the meaning of putting multi fans on the same channel is by sleeve them together right? It's there a guide to it? I am getting the aquaero when they become in stock again. However, I only have 4 fans for now but it's always good to know how to do so.

Nickel020
03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Just use a Y-adapter:
http://www.petrastechshop.com/3pinyadapter.html

Church
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Solder same colored power wires together, but leave rpm wire from only one fan going into molex fan you gonna plug into fan controller. Or buy some Y splitting fan cable (i've seen those for 2,4 and even for 6 and 9(!) fans selling)