PDA

View Full Version : PhysX and ATI, same old...

NaMcO
03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello,

Due to my project's design, my video card (currently 5970) has to sit in the second PCI-E slot of my Rampage 2 Extreme. I have here for testing purposes a GT240 from NVIDIA and i wanted to use this card as a PhysX addon like many people do.

Thing is, it has to go in the first PCI-E slot while the 5970 sits in the second slot. Will this configuration work as normally as the most common ones (ATI card in the first slot/NVIDIA in some other) or is this an impossible configuration?

I have already tried this setup but i cannot open NVIDIA's control panel (states it's not connected to the monitor even though it is as the 5970 doesn't output image). The NVIDIA drivers installed fine and detected the card, but on the other hand, the ATI drivers aren't loading and BOTH cards show as /!\ in device manager.

After installing NVIDIA drivers, i patched them in order to make them work with other brands (ATI/Ageia, etc).

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be very welcome :up:

Thanks!

zanzabar
03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
it sounds like a bios problem can try putting the 240 on the bottom slot

NaMcO
03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks, it's tricky but i managed to make it work. It causes so many uh 'issues' with my desktop and some apps that i gave up on it, gonna return the 240. It's not worth having PhysX like this lol. Besides that i lost the ability to overclock the 5970, no thanks!

Meta-Prometheus
03-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks, it's tricky but i managed to make it work. It causes so many uh 'issues' with my desktop and some apps that i gave up on it, gonna return the 240. It's not worth having PhysX like this lol. Besides that i lost the ability to overclock the 5970, no thanks!

Before you return the GT 240, you could try this method out (http://www.overclock.net/ati/591872-how-run-physx-windows-7-ati.html).